Sonos Play 5 Gen:2 will not connect to WiFi

Userlevel 1
I forgot to add the diagnostic information, its #1488866377
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 25 July 2019, 19:42

View original

108 replies

HI Corry P, 

Yes, you are absolutely right, it was temporary because of the ethernet cable connection. 

Finally, (don’t know the exact reason) after wired the Arc to ethernet, reconnected the Play:5 from (System/Play:5/Products -Play:5/) - where also the wifi can be enabled and disabled -  and it works properly!

Thanks for your help both of you Corry P, Ken Griffiths!

Csaba

Userlevel 1
The issue was resolved by Sono's successfully by sending me a replacement unit as it was a known issue with a defective wireless card. I'm happy again with a working system and Sonos support were very helpful. I hope you also get your issue resolved as I know the frustration of not being able to connect.

Hi Corry

I seem to have the same problem with my Play 5 as foldback above.

I have various Sonos devices in the house, they all work fine, but the Play 5 lost WiFi a while back. It does works perfectly fine over ethernet. 

Diagnostic ID 2145328600 

What options do I have left atm?

I would perhaps speak with Sonos Support Staff and give them your diagnostic reference etc. Here is their contact link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Badge

Hi Corry, thanks. Yeah I just contacted Sonos Support Netherlands. They were super-friendly. It was a faulty wifi chip and they sent me a shipping label for a return+replacement procedure. 

The info in this thread is very helpful! 

Thanks again. 

Badge +1

Hi @foldbak 

Your speaker has a fault - please call our technical support team. You’ll be happy with the result.

Thank you Cory. That was helpful. A replacement is on the way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PFCS_HUN 

The diagnostic does not indicate that there’s an issue with the Play:5’s WiFi card - in fact, at the time of the submission of the diagnostic it was providing all the non-portable products with a network connection. I see no reason for it not to connect to your WiFi, though I can see that it is currently offline, meaning that you’ve presumably removed the cable and all devices apart from the Play:5 have switched back to WiFi. It does seem to be unreasonably close to the Arc, but I assume that was temporary and so you could connect it to ethernet.

This does suggest that the Arc is close to the ethernet connection - if you wire the Arc to ethernet, does the Play:5 then connect? It’s probably worth trying.

If that isn’t workable, however, or if it just doesn’t work, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for some real-time troubleshooting.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Frederic H. 

Apologies - the agent you spoke to made a mistake, which he himself noticed after ending the call with you. You are entitled to a free replacement - this is the solution that I was saying you’d be happy with. It may take a few days to process, but please keep an eye out for an email from us.

The WLAN repeater was not suggested because those devices are not supported by Sonos - they often cause connectivity problems with Sonos systems, but I’m glad you’ve found a way to enjoy your speaker in the meantime. Hopefully, you’ll be able to get a refund on that should you need to.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hendrika 

I would perhaps speak with Sonos Support Staff and give them your diagnostic reference etc. Here is their contact link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Highly recommended!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Frederic H. 

Please contact your local technical support team - your Play:5 has a fault, but you will be happy with the solution!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Frederic H. 

You are most welcome! Glad to hear you got things sorted!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @foldbak 

Your speaker has a fault - please call our technical support team. You’ll be happy with the result.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Infinben, I deleted your other post for sake of keeping things all in one place. There is a hardware issue with that Play:5 which will need replacing. For this sort of issue, the best thing to do is to contact our support team directly. However, I've passed along your details to an agent and he will be in touch soon via email.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Seems I am having the same issue. Is the only way to resolve this by contacting support? Do I need to be beside my speaker when I do so? Diagnostic Report is 1179306788
You'll need to contact support directly: https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/contact/contact-options%23

Not sure if you need to be beside your speaker; I doubt it.
Hi there, I got the same issue, i can only connect my play 5 wired.
Diagnostic Id: 1257969747
Hi I have the same issue
Diagnostic code 1322784620
Connects via EN cable but not WiFi connection... worked fine until a few weeks ago...
Play 5 Gen 2
Same issue here and Sonos support also found a wireless card issue in the diagnostic report I sent. They are replacing the unit. With so many mentions of a similar issue here is seem like there might be premature failure on this component. Great to see Sonos standing behind the product and replacing them even out of warranty. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You should call Sonos support with the numbers and your issue, this is mostly a user to user forum with limited Sonos support.

Badge

Hi @Corry P 

Thank you for the clarification. This is effectively a good news that makes me happy. I will keep an eye on emails received from Sonos.

Best regards

Frederic

Thanks for the reply, I have contacted via email as I’m in Cyprus, many thanks.

I have the same issue. My Play 5 work with Ethernet cable, but can not via wifi. 

I would follow the advice stated in the thread and that is to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App whilst the speaker is wired to the LAN and either note/post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rljnc61 

I can confirm that your Play:5 does have a fault - please contact our technical support team.

Dead WiFi card.

Sonos support replaced it for a new unit out of warranty 

@Corry P - thank you for confirming the fault in the speaker. I will attempt to contact support again.

I've had issues with my Sonos for 5 years. I've called maybe twice about it because resetting it works. But wow I just saw this. I called to complain, but I was just given some of the worst support. I was on the phone for an hour just to be told nothing is wrong. I was told to hard wire my Sonos to see if that fixes it. 

Why would I pay the extra mark up on a Sonos just to hardwire it? I won't do that. The issue is with Wi-Fi. 

The first 2 calls I had 3 or 4 years ago I was told to reset my Sonos and it will fix it. And it did. But it kept persisting. 

I realized it was a problem when I bought an arc and I had no issues for over 6 months and my Sonos 5 disconnects every 2-4 weeks. 

Do better Sonos. Don't blame my network, it's probably set up better than your corporate network. 

Clearly the diagnostic report in your case showed the speaker hardware/software to be fine, unlike a few of the other posts in this thread …and in some cases here too, it was a local WiFi network issues.

It seems you are somewhat in denial that your network isn’t at fault, but you haven’t stated how you know that, other than your soundbar is okay, but presumably that’s not only set in a different location to your Play:5 - it might also be the case your Play:5 is using the 5Ghz WiFi band, whereas your Arc will definitely be using the 2.4Ghz band.

Perhaps try reducing the wireless channel-width to 20Mhz on the 2.4Ghz band and ensure the speaker uses that and set it to the least used (fixed) ‘non-overlapping’ channel, or even try ALL running on the (built-in) SonosNet signal instead and remove your WiFi credentials from the system completely, setting the internal SonosNet channel, so that it becomes the least-used channel in your locality, but set it at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.

If not done already, I would also add all your Sonos product IP addresses to your routers DHCP reservation table for good measure too.

It’s important to review the network settings, as often things can change in the environment, including neighbouring signals and software/firmware updates of routers etc; so I would review the network every 3 months, or so, and perhaps make any necessary changes to keep the potential for interference to a minimum.

Badge

Hi @Corry P 

Apologies for the delayed feedback.

I just wanted to inform you that I got the replacement unit last week.

Thank you so much for your assistance, and also to SONOS for its customer service policy

Best regards

Frederic