Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen:2 will not connect to WiFi

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the exact same issue. Can you help me?

Diagnostic Id: 356211501

Thanks for sending in the report. I see a Play:5 in your report, but it seems to be connecting to the wireless signal. If the unit in question isn't showing up in the app, please temporarily wire it in to the network with an ethernet cable, then send along a new report.

Yes, that’s mentioned in the answer from the Sonos rep just before your post. Having a router set to ‘auto’ causes the Sonos to have to search every time the router chooses to change channels, which can interrupt the music stream. Setting it to just one channel keeps this from happening. 

Hi, I have the same problem, diagnostics 461560896. Any chance to havea look at it?
Thanks a lot!
Hi there, nathan.windels. Seems like your Play 5 has the same hardware issue. As previously shared by Laurence5, the best recommendation is to get in contact with our support team. They are able to have a closer look and get this replaced. Thanks
Badge

Hi @Corry P ,

Thank you for your quick response. I contacted the local support and, after running another round of tests, I received the confirmation that the WiFi module on my Play 5 Gen2 was faulty.

Support offered me two options: either to continue using my Play 5 with an Ethernet connection (which apparently wasn't possible as there's no Ethernet connection in the room I was going to use it in), or to send it back to Sonos in exchange for a 30% discount voucher on my next purchase.

Honestly, I have to admit that the second option is pretty frustrating and hard for me to accept. First of all, when you invest nearly $500 in a speaker, you expect it to work perfectly for more than 7 years. Moreover, this seems to be a recurring problem with the Play 5 Gen 2 and one that Sonos is well aware of. Finally, as my SONOS setup includes 12 speakers (2 x One SL, 1 x AMP, 1 x Playbar, 1 x Sub, 4 x Play 1, 1 x Play 5, 2 Roam SL), I was expecting a bigger discount for the replacement unit.

Fortunately, I found a solution. I installed a WLAN repeater in the room where I wanted to use my Play 5, connected the speaker to the Ethernet port and successfully brought it back into my Sonos ecosystem. I'm just wondering why this cheap solution (less than 50$) wasn't suggested by tech support, especially as they knew the room didn't have an Ethernet connection.

It seems that my situation has gone beyond the commercial and technical limits of SONOS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just sharing my customer experience.

Yours sincerely

Please help... I posted above but realised I logged in incorrectly.... my play 5 gen 2 will not connect wirelessly and the issues is the same s as this thread....

Diagnostic code. 1322784620.
Thanks Jenny

I have two, paired (L+R) Play 5, Gen 2 speakers.  Initially, several years ago, both were setup on my WiFi network and worked fine. Over a year ago, the right speaker stopped receiving.  After multiple failed attempts to reconnect and even deleting my “sonos network” in the mobile app and restarting the setup process from scratch (about 5 times through the process), I could never get the second speaker to work. 

I recently moved the two speakers to another part of my house.  This time, the speakers are within proximity to my Internet router. I reattempted to connect the 2nd play 5; multiple tries from the Android Sonos app, it would see the speaker, attempt to add it to my sonos network, but would always fail. The setup then suggested to connect to the ethernet port on the router.  It worked, and I was able to finally use the 2nd play 5, and have the L+R paired again.  However, I don’t want the ethernet cable going across my room where the speakers are. 

In the Sonos app, it shows the L speaker as connected to my WiFi network.  But the R speaker is not, even though “Wifi Enabled” is checked. I attempted to Disable Wifi, re-enable, and disconnect the ethernet cable - it does not connect and only works with being hardwired. 

I found this article, and submitted the diagnostics for my Sonos system - the confirmation numbers are 1808227857 and 2092425013.

Associated Product: 192.168.86.25
---------------------------------
Play:5: Media Room (L)
Serial Number: *********************
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 15.11 (build 76247270)
Hardware Version: 1.13.1.7-1.2
Series ID: C100
IP Address: 192.168.86.25
WM: 1
---------------------------------
Play:5: Media Room (R)
Serial Number: ***********************
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 15.11 (build 76247270)
Hardware Version: 1.13.1.7-1.2
Series ID: C100
IP Address: 192.168.86.28
WM: 0

The Serial Number: ****************** speaker is the one that fails to connect to WiFi and is connected to the router.

Moderator edit: removed serial numbers

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Please help... I posted above but realised I logged in incorrectly.... my play 5 gen 2 will not connect wirelessly and the issues is the same s as this thread....

Diagnostic code. 1322784620.
Thanks Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I can't see any data from your Play:5 in the diagnostic report. Please reconnect it using an ethernet cable, then send in a new report and reply here with the number.
Hi, I have connect the 5 via EN cable and submitted a report No.321541215. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, I have connect the 5 via EN cable and submitted a report No.321541215. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!!!

Thanks for wiring in the speaker. It is still not showing up in the diagnostic report though. Please follow the steps in this guide to get the Play:5 reconnected to your system while still wired in. Once it shows up in the app, send in a new diagnostic report and reply here with the number, I'll take a look.
Hi, we have the play5 working hard wired now and have done another report no. 1711957125. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, we have the play5 working hard wired now and have done another report no. 1711957125. Thanks!

Thanks, the Play:5 is showing up in the report now. I see that there is a hardware issue with the wireless card on your Play:5. Please reach out to our phone team who can take over from here. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @yoshter, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community. We appreciate bringing this concern to us and for submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the report, I see that your Sonos Play 5 is experiencing a hardware failure. It’s a WiFi card related issue. This is why your Sonos Play 5 only connects to your system if it’s wired to your router.

At this point, we recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care to further assist you on this or possible product replacement. Our phone support team is closed on weekends. You can reach on weekdays, 9 am - 5 pm GMT, Monday - Friday. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

I have the same issue as above, diagnostic report number 487302528, speaker purchased at Dixon’s Luton airport on way to Cyprus, please advise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, dazzywatts. I'd recommend that you get in touch with our support team via telephone. They will be able to help you further. Many thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.
Badge

Hi Corry

I seem to have the same problem with my Play 5 as foldback above.

I have various Sonos devices in the house, they all work fine, but the Play 5 lost WiFi a while back. It does works perfectly fine over ethernet. 

Diagnostic ID 2145328600 

What options do I have left atm?

Hi there, same issue. Will not connect over WiFi. Diagnostics: 1642104857

I have the same issue. My Play 5 work with Ethernet cable, but can not via wifi. 

Same problem. It won’t connect to the WiFi or even start its own WiFi when trying to connect. SONOS Play:5 Gen 2.

Diagnostics: 618762070

My Play 5 stopped working over wifi but still works wired. Perhaps wifi card issue?

Diagnostic ID 1957193714

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @Lykkesmed, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. Upon checking on the diagnostic, a hardware failure was detected with your Den speaker (Play 5). Yes, it’s a similar issue. I’d recommend contacting our phone support team to check for a possible product replacement. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge +1
  • does the Play: 5 work okay when wired to the router/LAN? YES
  • Whilst it’s wired, maybe check if its WiFi adapter is ‘enabled’ in the device ‘room’ settings (in ‘Settings/System’) and maybe toggle it ‘off’ and then ‘on’ again. I can’t find that option
  • Ensure the correct WiFi SSID is listed in "Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks" area of the Sonos App? I did this…. can’t connect
  • You could also try re-adding the WiFi network credentials to the speaker - using the ‘Update Networks’ feature. I don’t understand this
  • If no joy getting it to run on your WiFi, then whilst it is wired and hopefully showing in the Sonos App submit a system diagnostic and note or post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can see any issues with the device. 1704705860

It is connected via Ethernet right now and sounds great but I still can’t connect to WiFi. It sees the unit during setup but doesn’t complete the process. Can you be more specific on how to turn on the WiFi adapter. I can’t find that option.   

latest update. After long chat session was told to call phone/tech support. The tech support told me after 2 minutes that Sonos was not compatible with netgear/Orbi or any mesh wifi networks...no solution. Pretty weak response...

@Stanley_4 - I did when the original problem happened and Sonos support was horrible and with no resolution.  I found this atricle, and saw that others were having the same issue, and I saw Sonos staff responding.   So, you say “user to user”, but clearly in the history of this thread, there are many product owners receiving help from Sonos.

But a wired system still works fine, if you connect the Sonos to the root device on your mesh network, so the Sonos relies on their own network, rather than your mesh network.