Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen:2 will not connect to WiFi

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
For anyone new to this topic, if you find yourself with a Play:5 gen2 or other Sonos speaker that can't connect to the network when wireless, but it works just fine wired in, there are a number of things to check, but there's a chance that there's something wrong with the wireless on the device. Run a diagnostic in the Sonos app with the speaker connected to the network using an Ethernet cable. This is under Settings > Advanced Settings.

With the diagnostic number handy, the best thing to do is to get in contact with our support team directly. They will help identify if there's a hardware issue or something network related that can be fixed, and will assist with the next steps.

@Claudia1991 

Did you follow Sonos’ recommendations to connect to a new router?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

If you contact them directly they'll be able to figure out the issue. I got a replacement sent out super quickly!
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Nigel Johnson,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. Upon checking on the diagnostic, no hardware failure was detected on your Sonos Play 5. However, interference has been detected on one or more Sonos components running SonosNet in your household. This may cause audio dropouts or audio problems to one or more players, audio delay, and dropped room from Sonos controller. To help you out with this, let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps.

• Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel > Set to 1
  • Move Sonos products away from the source of interference
    • Relocate your Sonos speaker or move it closer to the router to determine if it is a wireless range issue.
  • Hardwire another Sonos speaker to your router (not your modem).
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.
  • If you have access to your router, please check the following settings. You may reach out to your internet service provider for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

If you're still experiencing the issue, I recommend contacting our support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. If you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Dead WiFi card.

Sonos support replaced it for a new unit out of warranty 

Was there a cost to yourself involved in this ?

I have exactly the same problem! Tried already multiple resets etc. nothing worked so far! I want to move the speaker to a place where no WIRE is available 

diagnostic number is 33414422

thanks!

dan

Same problem. Quick call with Sonos help desk and they figured out is was a hardware issue and have sent a replacement. Great customer service 

@Airgetlam my point was that an additional device is required for the Sonos to work in a wifi network. The Boost doesn’t fix wifi issues, it fixes Sonos issues…

Obviously you can hardwire it to a router via ethernet...which is what I’ve been doing. That’s not why I bought a “wireless” speaker. The Orbi mesh or any other mesh system is the latest home wireless network technology that is designed to work..in homes! With consumer devices, like Sonos...my other point is...no other device has any issue working instantly on my Orbi mesh network without any “tinkering”...from the newest/latest gadgets to the 5 plus year old devices.

Sonos made the same claim that somehow their devices are much more complex or complicated and therefor don’t readily work on any home network...I think that’s BS...and if it is the case, it’s a poorly designed product. The fact that it only works on 2.4ghz for one, is lame. I don’t even have any satellites set up for my mesh network and am in a small apartment…

I’m not sure about your explanation as to why Sonos is different in how it behaves on a network versus any other device. “it talks to all points of installation”  I have one Speaker... “versus a single point outside your network”... I have one wireless access point that is broadcasting on 2.4 and 5...period...A device connects via whatever channel is best… most basic devices can connect to 2.4 or 5...and or a/b/g/n...it’s pretty standard for any network device. If Sonos are indeed designed specifically as network devices, they don’t work very well.

By the way, I was able to get it to work on my Orbi mesh network...but not from what Sonos told me. They were supportive/helpful on their chat support. Phone support was terrible. Neither was able to find a solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@Stanley_4 - I did when the original problem happened and Sonos support was horrible and with no resolution.  I found this atricle, and saw that others were having the same issue, and I saw Sonos staff responding.   So, you say “user to user”, but clearly in the history of this thread, there are many product owners receiving help from Sonos.

Many, but not all, and there is no promise of a response time if your post is seen.

To be sure you are helped, directly contacting Sonos is far the best bet.

Yes, same deal as Jack07: used to work fine until recently. Extremely frustrating because the Sonos user experience is top-notch when it works but this has me pulling my hair out…

I’ve tried multiple routers, tried multiple mobile devices (iOS and Android), resets, restarts, and more. My sonos port works fine.

Diagnostic: 1325634915

Hi,

i have the same problem with my gen 2. It won’t connect to the WiFi or even start its own WiFi when trying to connect. 

Number; 763439185

best regards

Badge +1

My play 5 gen 2 won’t connect to wifi. It works on Ethernet.  I have a play 5 gen 1 that works. I have a sonos amp, a stereo pair play 1 and a boost that all work. Bad wifi card? Help please

In order to contact them, here's a link:

contact Sonos Support

My play 5 gen 2 won’t connect to wifi. It works on Ethernet.  I have a play 5 gen 1 that works. I have a sonos amp, a stereo pair play 1 and a boost that all work. Bad wifi card? Help please

A possibility perhaps? … does the Play: 5 work okay when wired to the router/LAN?

Whilst it’s wired, maybe check if its WiFi adapter is ‘enabled’ in the device ‘room’ settings (in ‘Settings/System’) and maybe toggle it ‘off’ and then ‘on’ again.

Ensure the correct WiFi SSID is listed in "Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks" area of the Sonos App?

You could also try re-adding the WiFi network credentials to the speaker - using the ‘Update Networks’ feature.

If no joy getting it to run on your WiFi, then whilst it is wired and hopefully showing in the Sonos App submit a system diagnostic and note or post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can see any issues with the device.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @daniel.bessler,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report. 

It does look like your Play: 5 has a hardware issue that we will need to resolve with you directly. 

I will be happy to follow up with you through direct-messaging or you can reach directly out to our support team via email to resolve this.

Same as everyone else here. Sonos 5 Gen 2...wish I had searched here first...I’ve spent too many hours scouring the settings on my router, restarting everything...etc...here’s my diagnostics report number: 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Matze,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for sharing this with us. It’s good that you brought this concern to us and we were able to check the diagnostic. Based on the report, a hardware failure was detected that your Sonos Play 5. Please do reach out to our phone support team to assist you with possible product replacement. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Hi,
I have the same issue, my diagnostic report number is 541311390.

Thanks

found solution  - change channel from auto  to 11 in your wifi router .

Hello , one week ago I had same my Play5 gen2 not working through wifi . With ethernet cable it’s fine, but not convenient at all. How to get the diagnostic id ? Any help is welcome

Submit a system diagnostic  and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

Userlevel 1
I've see a few mentions of this issue but I have not seen any resolution. I have a generation 2 play 5 that worked for about a year and now won't connect to Wifi. I believe the problem started after I did a software update but at this stage after trying everything I'm still not able to connect. However if I plug it in via an Ethernet cable it works fine. Can anyone help me to figure out how to solve this issue? Is it a hardware issue or is some software fix available that I need to install?

I forgot to add the diagnostic information, its #1488866377
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

I'm assuming that you don't have any other Sonos devices connected via an ethernet cable? Can you please reset the Wi-Fi setup in the Sonos App>Settings>Advanced>Wireless Setup and then if you don't have any other wired Sonos players reconfigure wi-fi. (If you do then your system is in Boost mode and wi-fi credentials should not be added.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I forgot to add the diagnostic information, its #1488866377

Hi Laurence5,

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. It looks like there's something going on with the wireless card on your PLAY:5. Our phone team should be able to pick things up from here. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.
Badge
I have the exact same issue. Can you help me?

Diagnostic Id: 356211501