Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen:2 will not connect to WiFi

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

I am also having the same issue with a Gen 2 P5. My diagnostic report number is 2146725330.

Thanks
Jon
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there, same issue. Will not connect over WiFi. Diagnostics: 1642104857

As it’s the weekend, I suggest that you contact tech support via Twitter or Facebook.

Thanks @jaycone. Unfortunately it’s working on my Play 5. I’ve tried all channels but no luck. I suspect there’s something wrong with the WiFi module. I will contact the Sonos phone support.

Badge

Hi support,

I have the same issue. My Play 5 work with Ethernet cable, but can not via wifi. 

I sent the diagnostic :  547251154

Could you please help me to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Frederic

I've had issues with my Sonos for 5 years. I've called maybe twice about it because resetting it works. But wow I just saw this. I called to complain, but I was just given some of the worst support. I was on the phone for an hour just to be told nothing is wrong. I was told to hard wire my Sonos to see if that fixes it. 

Why would I pay the extra mark up on a Sonos just to hardwire it? I won't do that. The issue is with Wi-Fi. 

The first 2 calls I had 3 or 4 years ago I was told to reset my Sonos and it will fix it. And it did. But it kept persisting. 

I realized it was a problem when I bought an arc and I had no issues for over 6 months and my Sonos 5 disconnects every 2-4 weeks. 

Do better Sonos. Don't blame my network, it's probably set up better than your corporate network. 

@ericcsng I went into the settings for the Sonos and the netgear admin panel and changed both so that the 2.4ghz was broadcasting on the same channel...you might need to click around to find that in each but I think it’s pretty straight forward. Let me know if you can’t find those settings and I can go back and check and send screenshots. Hope this works for you...

Similar problem — would appreciate if you could check for me too. Number is 328676527

Thanks!

I've had issues with my Sonos for 5 years. I've called maybe twice about it because resetting it works. But wow I just saw this. I called to complain, but I was just given some of the worst support. I was on the phone for an hour just to be told nothing is wrong. I was told to hard wire my Sonos to see if that fixes it. 

Why would I pay the extra mark up on a Sonos just to hardwire it? I won't do that. The issue is with Wi-Fi. 

The first 2 calls I had 3 or 4 years ago I was told to reset my Sonos and it will fix it. And it did. But it kept persisting. 

I realized it was a problem when I bought an arc and I had no issues for over 6 months and my Sonos 5 disconnects every 2-4 weeks. 

Do better Sonos. Don't blame my network, it's probably set up better than your corporate network. 

Clearly the diagnostic report in your case showed the speaker hardware/software to be fine, unlike a few of the other posts in this thread …and in some cases here too, it was a local WiFi network issues.

It seems you are somewhat in denial that your network isn’t at fault, but you haven’t stated how you know that, other than your soundbar is okay, but presumably that’s not only set in a different location to your Play:5 - it might also be the case your Play:5 is using the 5Ghz WiFi band, whereas your Arc will definitely be using the 2.4Ghz band.

Perhaps try reducing the wireless channel-width to 20Mhz on the 2.4Ghz band and ensure the speaker uses that and set it to the least used (fixed) ‘non-overlapping’ channel, or even try ALL running on the (built-in) SonosNet signal instead and remove your WiFi credentials from the system completely, setting the internal SonosNet channel, so that it becomes the least-used channel in your locality, but set it at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.

If not done already, I would also add all your Sonos product IP addresses to your routers DHCP reservation table for good measure too.

It’s important to review the network settings, as often things can change in the environment, including neighbouring signals and software/firmware updates of routers etc; so I would review the network every 3 months, or so, and perhaps make any necessary changes to keep the potential for interference to a minimum.

Ill look at it again, but my play 5 is in the same room as my arc. They're both on 2.4.  What is aggravating is that when it disconnects it does not find any SSID. and I must run a factory reset. 

I have the same problem with one of my PLAY:5 (Gen2). Only ethernet works. Please help. Diagnostics number 735469934

I now have the same problem

Play5 had been working on WiFi fine for two years

Halfway through playback it crashed and would not connect back to WiFi. Settings reset and all usual troubleshooting steps taken. It works over Ethernet but still refuses to connect to WiFi (that had no changes made)

diag 1503335533

Thanks @jaycone. Unfortunately it’s working on my Play 5. I’ve tried all channels but no luck. I suspect there’s something wrong with the WiFi module. I will contact the Sonos phone support.

Sorry, it’s not working...

Badge +1
  • does the Play: 5 work okay when wired to the router/LAN? YES
  • Whilst it’s wired, maybe check if its WiFi adapter is ‘enabled’ in the device ‘room’ settings (in ‘Settings/System’) and maybe toggle it ‘off’ and then ‘on’ again. I can’t find that option
  • Ensure the correct WiFi SSID is listed in "Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks" area of the Sonos App? I did this…. can’t connect
  • You could also try re-adding the WiFi network credentials to the speaker - using the ‘Update Networks’ feature. I don’t understand this
  • If no joy getting it to run on your WiFi, then whilst it is wired and hopefully showing in the Sonos App submit a system diagnostic and note or post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can see any issues with the device. 1704705860

It is connected via Ethernet right now and sounds great but I still can’t connect to WiFi. It sees the unit during setup but doesn’t complete the process. Can you be more specific on how to turn on the WiFi adapter. I can’t find that option.   

Any more suggestions?

Hello,

Thank you for your time. I have a SONOS Play:5 Gen 2 and a few days ago we suddenly had no control over the speaker from our phone apps or from the desktop PC. After a lot of trouble shooting and connection attempts after rebooting the router and even changing the password of our WiFi we are not able to connect to the WiFi. The speaker tries to create a temporary WiFi named SONOS but it never shows up on either phone and it says it will require Ethernet connection to be used. I believe the WiFi card has died. Please assist, thank you.

Diagnostic confirmation code: 1795378400

Same issue here. Play 5 gen 2 - works fine wired, doesn’t work with wifi. Diagnostic: 1325634915

I have the same problem on my Play 5 - started this afternoon. Has played without Ethernet cable as long as I have had it. Will now only connect if connected to cable. Have been through Wi-Fi on/off, factory reset and reconnecting. Could not complete without a cable being inserted. Diagnostic # 832068967

I’ll look at it again, but my play 5 is in the same room as my arc. They're both on 2.4.  What is aggravating is that when it disconnects it does not find any SSID. and I must run a factory reset. 

Can you perhaps describe your local setup - make/model of router (or mesh system) - Any switches? (managed or unmanaged) if managed - can you outline the STP settings also if you use any other access points and what WiFi channels/channel-widths are in use.

Have you ever tried running all on SonosNet, so that you do not need the Play:5 speaker to find (or need) your WiFi SSID?

Dear Sonos CC,

I have been struggling with the same issue for a year, I can only use my Play5 via ethernet cable, and this came up with no reason. I enjoyed this product before this happen, and I didn’t make any change, just stopped working suddenly. I have many other sonos products on the same home network and there is no any issue with them. Only Play5 has this malfunction. 

I’ve run ths diagnostic: 420496493

I really appreciate your help

Hello,

I have the exact same problem. The play 5 gen 2 was working fine, then we changed the router system and it could never connect again via wifi. Same happened to our Symfonisk model.

I ran a diagnostics with # 970988790.

Please help

Same issue — would appreciate if you could check my diagnostic too. Number is 1995119995

Apparently I had not done it. Now my system is working fine again! Thanks

Dear Sonos CC,

I have been struggling with the same issue for a year, I can only use my Play5 via ethernet cable, and this came up with no reason. I enjoyed this product before this happen, and I didn’t make any change, just stopped working suddenly. I have many other sonos products on the same home network and there is no any issue with them. Only Play5 has this malfunction. 

I’ve run ths diagnostic: 420496493

I really appreciate your help

As it’s been happening for a year, is it an intermittent issue? Have you maybe switched off its adapter via the App as you have wired the product? Have you spoken to Sonos Support Staff about the matter? 

What troubleshooting have you tried so far…reboot etc?

Actually, it’s a constant issue, but used the other products instead, as the usual troubleshooting didn’t solve the problem. But it started to annoy me that I can’t use it at all as there is no ethernet plug available at that place. 

I tried these things: 

• reboot, reconnect, system updates, manage networks, router restart, ethernet cable connection which works properly

So i guess everything what is available, except speaking with Sonos Support, but tomorrow will call them. 

Actually, it’s a constant issue, but used the other products instead, as the usual troubleshooting didn’t solve the problem. But it started to annoy me that I can’t use it at all as there is no ethernet plug available at that place. 

I tried these things: 

• reboot, reconnect, system updates, manage networks, router restart, ethernet cable connection which works properly

So i guess everything what is available, except speaking with Sonos Support, but tomorrow will call them. 

It sounds like a WiFi card issue,  have you ever tried toggling its WiFi adapter ‘off’ and ‘on’ again. See this support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/disable-or-enable-wi-fi-on-your-sonos-products

That’s how I currently have it set up...but (for me) the whole point is to have the flexibility to place the speaker where I want without having to be tethered by an ethernet cable...as in wireless...if it doesn’t work on a wifi network, what’s the point? Otherwise I would have purchased a bluetooth speaker...

That’s why Sonos makes the BOOST, for people like you and me who don’t have a speaker close enough to our router that we can wire an Ethernet cable to. Since I started using the BOOST, and assigned reserved IP addresses to my system, I’ve not had any issues, either with playback or with updating my 18 Sonos devices.