Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen:2 will not connect to WiFi

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

My Play:5 had had issues with WiFi for some time but hasn’t really affected me as I have always had it hard wired by Ethernet. 
However, this has now failed so I have no use of the speaker at all…

Emailed Sonos support yesterday and sent diagnostics to them, they have ran me through what I have already done to try and resolve but still no joy. 

awaiting their response, certainly expecting these units to last a lot longer than this one has, I’ve had my Bose equipment for about 13 years and still performing well. 

I haven’t looked at the Boost...will check it out...thanks

@Airgetlam my point was that an additional device is required for the Sonos to work in a wifi network. The Boost doesn’t fix wifi issues, it fixes Sonos issues…

Obviously you can hardwire it to a router via ethernet...which is what I’ve been doing. That’s not why I bought a “wireless” speaker. The Orbi mesh or any other mesh system is the latest home wireless network technology that is designed to work..in homes! With consumer devices, like Sonos...my other point is...no other device has any issue working instantly on my Orbi mesh network without any “tinkering”...from the newest/latest gadgets to the 5 plus year old devices.

Sonos made the same claim that somehow their devices are much more complex or complicated and therefor don’t readily work on any home network...I think that’s BS...and if it is the case, it’s a poorly designed product. The fact that it only works on 2.4ghz for one, is lame. I don’t even have any satellites set up for my mesh network and am in a small apartment…

I’m not sure about your explanation as to why Sonos is different in how it behaves on a network versus any other device. “it talks to all points of installation”  I have one Speaker... “versus a single point outside your network”... I have one wireless access point that is broadcasting on 2.4 and 5...period...A device connects via whatever channel is best… most basic devices can connect to 2.4 or 5...and or a/b/g/n...it’s pretty standard for any network device. If Sonos are indeed designed specifically as network devices, they don’t work very well.

By the way, I was able to get it to work on my Orbi mesh network...but not from what Sonos told me. They were supportive/helpful on their chat support. Phone support was terrible. Neither was able to find a solution.

I’m also using Orbi and the Play 5 can’t connect to the WiFi network (two Play 1 are working fine), can you please share your resolution? Thanks

although i wish I knew the BOOST was required to make the system work...I get it if you have 18 sonos devices… I have one...so another $100 to make it work...not ideal.

Seems I am having the same issue. Is the only way to resolve this by contacting support? Do I need to be beside my speaker when I do so? Diagnostic Report is 1179306788

Hi, same issue here and hoping to get a quick analytics feedback to reach out the SONOS support with a qualified request. Diagnostics number is 1853344718.

Thanks and happy holidays!

It’s not required, you could wire a speaker and achieve the same result, but you were saying that wasn’t possible, so I provided the designed alternative. 

But the BOOST isn’t a silver bullet that fixes all Wi-Fi issues, it is just a device that might help some issues, and remove the bandwidth from your own Wi-Fi. But it’s still a radio network, and subject to all the cases of wifi interference that any Wi-Fi signal is subject to. And particularly on some mesh systems, which by default use different channels for each pod, and some that don’t allow you access to set your own channel that is used. Sonos needs all devices to be on the same channel because they talk to each other at all times in order to stay in sync, they tend to have substantial issues if they’re on differing channels for each pod that they’re connected to. 

Since Sonos is a networked system, is does rely on that solid backbone in order to work. And since it talks to all points of installation across your network, it’s unlike most, if not all, other Devices youtpr network, which just connect to a single point outside your network. If there are challenges for the Sonos to communicate with the other speakers on your network, it has difficulty, as you’ve discovered.

I hope you’re able to resolve the issues your system is experiencing. 

I had the same issue, was out of warranty and was quoted £314 to replace the device. That’s on top of the £450 I originally paid for a device with a known defect. I declined this and will now look to replace with other brands.