Sonos Roam - Battery drain

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

278 replies

I suppose that’s possible, but most ‘paid’ reviews tend not to be from United States companies. But it’s hard to be sure either way, so I always take reviews with a grain of salt, personally. And frankly, I find more value in negative reviews, as they better define what potential issues there are, and what I should research more before making a purchase. I do find it easier to separate bad reviews in to two camps…1) didn’t understand the product and how it was used and 2) understood, but still had issues. Usually there’s more of the former, and the latter are the gems I seek. 

I can appreciate the comments. That is definitely a factor in my case and not understanding proper use of power down and sleep mode. I will work on that. Next disappointment I cannot fix is that it does not work with my legacy Sonos speakers. Any work arounds? I am not giving up on the 6 speakers and amp currently in use. #sonosfan

I can appreciate the comments. That is definitely a factor in my case and not understanding proper use of power down and sleep mode. I will work on that. Next disappointment I cannot fix is that it does not work with my legacy Sonos speakers. Any work arounds? I am not giving up on the 6 speakers and amp currently in use. #sonosfan

The only way I know of to do that, is if you have an iOS controller device, rather than Android and are happy to put an AirPlay capable Sonos device into the S1 HH and group it with the S1 devices - Then (Air)play the same stream to that device and the Roam at the same time via iOS.

Hi everyone, 

I received my Sonos Roam yesterday and I am quite concerned by the battery drain on standby mode.

My roam is losing about 10% every hour on standby, which brings us to 10hours but I was expecting 10 hours in playing mode.

Should I be concerned by those stats are it was the expected consumption?

Thank you 🙂!

Hi, I was having the same issue and spoke to someone at Sonos, it was because I was only putting it in sleep mode which still connects to WiFi and checks for updates etc so will drain the battery. Hold the off button for five seconds which will power it off. I did this last night and the battery was still on 99% this morning. Hope this helps. 

I retract my statement. Charged all night and team for 2 hours before power failure. Multiple Bluetooth connection issues with iOS 14.6. Will call support but probably returning it unless they can solve this. 

I am having the same issue.  I hold the power button and make sure its off and its still drains.  Ive owned it about 5 months and im disappointed on the battery drain.  

Holding the power button until you hear what? - You should hold it until you hear the 4 ‘descending’ tones - I suspect that’s ‘perhaps’ where your issue may lie.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I find my new Roam lost 10% overnight,while it was turned off.It took 2 hours of charging with a standard charger and still was only at 85%…...Hmm?

I’d be pretty disapointed if Sonos released a product that was not fully developed….

Hmm? The stock has gone up significantly,but I hope not at the expense of loyal customers.

I have quite a few other Sonos products.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Same here -- down to 91% in 8 hours (over night) -- from full 100% charge; no Sonos app usage overnight.  (I don’t use Google Assistant).  And it was in sleep mode.  

So this means about 25% battery drain per day WITHOUT any usage of the Sonos App - while the Roam is in sleep mode.   Which means we are looking at roughly 4 - 5 days in sleep mode (not 10 days), before battery drains!!

I didn’t read the entire topic but I think the battery of the Roam is a nightmare.

In my use, it last not more than 2 days.

Basically, when in stand by, it drain too much battery, I am aware that is always with wi-fi on, waiting to be waking up by the app, but for my use, the battery drain too soon.

Especially for my night use, I usually fall asleep (with the sleep-timer on), while listening to the unit, so it stays all night in stand-by. This mean that the battery last is very poor in my case.

Carsar326,

I’ve no issue with a ‘feature request’ for a ‘no wake’ feature when the S2 App is launched. I just want a toggle switch if that ever does happen so that the Roam will continue to work here whenever it is needed.

One option at the moment is to perhaps leave the Roam on a Qi, or USB, charger pad when only used very occasionally, that’s IF you don’t wish to switch it off completely, either way the Roam should then stay charged and ready-to-use indoors, or out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I spoke to a Sonos rep,who claimed the unit should drain 10% overnight normally.He also said many of the issues are caused by using the charger that comes with the typical i- phones.

I played music today for 25 minutes,or so and it only seemed to drain by about 7%…..I played the Roam at 2/3 of it’s volume,so that does not seem to bad….but…..i can’t wait to see how much drainage I have tomorrow.

The thing does sound fabulous though! I use mine as a rear ambience speaker for my pair of Play 5’s and Sub…...Overall it’s a superb product and is about as detailed as the Play 5’s…...Makes me wonder how good the next gen Play 5 can be,if Sonos wanted to really upgrade it.

I can attest to having the same issue.

leave at 50-60% come back 2 days later and its so dead that even usb power doesn't wake it for another 20-30 minutes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi everyone, 

I received my Sonos Roam yesterday and I am quite concerned by the battery drain on standby mode.

My roam is losing about 10% every hour on standby, which brings us to 10hours but I was expecting 10 hours in playing mode.

Thank you 🙂!

Hi, I was having the same issue and spoke to someone at Sonos, it was because I was only putting it in sleep mode which still connects to WiFi and checks for updates etc so will drain the battery. Hold the off button for five seconds which will power it off. I did this last night and the battery was still on 99% this morning. Hope this helps. 

Also anyone managed to get it to work with the Sonos App while out and about? It seems that this functionality and Alexa are confined to when you’re at home and connected to your WIFI only - bit of a shame that.

Sonos App = WiFI.  No Wifi -- use Bluetooth and your bluetooth device (phone) controls.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I spoke to a Sonos rep,who claimed the unit should drain 10% overnight normally.He also said many of the issues are caused by using the charger that comes with the typical i- phones.

I played music today for 25 minutes,or so and it only seemed to drain by about 7%…..I played the Roam at 2/3 of it’s volume,so that does not seem to bad….but…..i can’t wait to see how much drainage I have tomorrow.

The thing does sound fabulous though! I use mine as a rear ambience speaker for my pair of Play 5’s and Sub…...Overall it’s a superb product and is about as detailed as the Play 5’s…...Makes me wonder how good the next gen Play 5 can be,if Sonos wanted to really upgrade it.

10% overnight = 30% a day (assuming an 8 hour “overnight”).   I think they mean 10% per day (not overnight).   As per day would equal 10 days.  10% overnight  = 4 to 5 days max.

I also think the “10 days” is for those who own a Roam and ONLY a Roam (no other Sonos product).  So they are not using the Sonos app otherwise, and thereby not periodically waking the Roam.    I however, own a stereo pair Ones (for my Office), and single Ones in the Kitchen and bedroom.   Also, a Port in the Family Room.

Userlevel 1

I completely turned the roam off (power down for 5 secs, doesn’t Show up in the app) and that seems to help. 
I agree. It seems the Sonos app on WIFI “pings” and “wakes” up the Roam both when it’s on or standby (not completely off). 

My question is… has anyone taken this OUT of the house and tried in Bluetooth? It won’t be looking for the WiFi so I’m curious if the battery still drains. I am usually going to use this out and about. Like at the beach. If it drains fast there, I need to return it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi everyone, 

Thank you 🙂!

Yet, per the documentation from Sonos, even in sleep mode, it should last UP TO 10 days.   Most people are not seeing anywhere near 10 days in sleep mode.   More like, up to 5 days.

Oh I didn't know that, no I got five days and used it for about an hour in total to play music. That's not great then. 

Hi everyone, 

Thank you 🙂!

Also anyone managed to get it to work with the Sonos App while out and about? It seems that this functionality and Alexa are confined to when you’re at home and connected to your WIFI only - bit of a shame that.

Sonos App = WiFI.  No Wifi -- use Bluetooth and your bluetooth device (phone) controls.  

I get that, obviously.

Stands to reason that you’d drop back to bluetooth and use your device controls - otherwise might as well call it the Sonos Stationery.

Still it would have been a nice capability nonetheless. The main job of playing music is ticked by bluetooth.

Badge

I have a similar issue, but perhaps worse… I turned my Roam OFF, thinking I would use it for rehearsal at a theatre. It was fully charged according to the app. I didn’t need it for four days and when I tried to turn it on, it was dead. 

Is it expected behavior for a device that is literally turned off and experience battery drain in less than a week with zero use?

Returning mine. sounds great and love the Sonos environment, but power is just a disaster with this little speaker. So many options for SO much cheaper!

hi all. A software update was issued yesterday. I have installed it so let’s see what happens. Does anyone have a link to the info on software updates? does such a thing exist? Would love to know the official view on what was being fixed

Userlevel 7

I have a similar issue, but perhaps worse… I turned my Roam OFF, thinking I would use it for rehearsal at a theatre. It was fully charged according to the app. I didn’t need it for four days and when I tried to turn it on, it was dead. 

Is it expected behavior for a device that is literally turned off and experience battery drain in less than a week with zero use?

How exactly are you turning off the Roam?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Because of all the issues I’ve seen reported with the Move, I decided to start checking my Roam as soon as I got it as my usage is probably a lot different to others - I will be using it for an hour or so whilst in the bath and then it will be completely turned off until the next time. Therefore I will be using it for maybe 1 or 2 hours per week. So far I’m not seeing any issues with my admittedly limited usage...

I just listen to Tunein radio stations on my Roam via wifi and I don’t use any voice control on any of my Sonos system.

Tuesday 20th Roam arrived and I charged to 100 %
Set it up and messed about with it for a bit

Then went in bath and had it on for just over an hour at well less than 50% volume
Switched off completely but forgot to take battery reading

Monday 26th turned it on and battery was 93%
Went in bath and had it on for about an hour at same volume as before. Afterwards checked the battery which was at 86%
Switched off completely.

Will continue this test the next time I turn it on.

Sounds very much like you put it into ‘standby’ rather than powering it off.

Not that I’m aware. It does certainly sound like instead of turning it off completely, you put it to ‘sleep’ instead, where both the WiFi and Bluetooth antennas would remain energized, looking for a ‘wake up’ signal, and draining the battery much more quickly than the full ‘powered down’ state,