Sonos Roam - Battery drain

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

278 replies

Just started using new Roam. Plugged in yesterday on charger for over 24 hrs. Took off charger this morning and played at low volume with tidal connect. At around 1hr 15min mark bone dead. No battery. Plugged back in and 20 mins later still red light and unresponsive. This is not a portable speaker in its current condition. My beats pill lasts for days of play.

@Acer99 Off.  I had been getting massive drain whilst off, so continuing with that ‘test’ for now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Why on earth would you leave your speaker on Standby? Turn the damn thing off or leave it plugged in?

Because that way I can control the Roam from anywhere in the house, like any other Sonos speaker.   (As it sits in my bathroom always). If powered off I have to physically  engage with it.  Instead of just using Alexa or the app.  I shouldn’t have to turn it off to get more than 2 days battery out of it. 

Userlevel 1

Hey everyone! Joined because I am having the same issue. I’ve had portable Bluetooth speakers before and never had this issue. It’s very frustrating that it just dies when it’s not plugged in. I try to turn it off. Same issue. Turn it on days later and it’s  dead. This is unacceptable, especially at this price range. I am not able to use it as sonos intends. 

I’ve also noticed in the app I can’t get the thing 100% charged. 

THE SPEAKER HAS AN ISSUE WITH BATTERY, CHARGED MINE TO 100% BEFORE SLEEP, POWERED OFF AND WOKE UP 8 HOURS LATER JUST TO FIND T AT 80%. 

DOES THIS SPEAKER REALLY SHUTS DOWN! WHY THE DRAIN IN OFF MODE! THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Leave it plugged in and unplug when you go outside

The idea of using a product battery all year round is completely ridiculous, not to mention extremely wasteful. The battery will be dead in 8 months

What power is your charger? Volts and Amps, please.

Is it Qi, or direct connect?

Since no brick was included I used an iPhone brick. The app said 100% charged.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Leave it plugged in and unplug when you go outside

The idea of using a product battery all year round is completely ridiculous, not to mention extremely wasteful. The battery will be dead in 8 months

You are missing the point. 1. It’s on a shelf in the shower. There is no plug there.  2. I don’t take it outside. 3. Sonos said it would last 10 days on standby. 4. Per my experience and many others, it lasts just 2 or 3 days on standby - Even if not using the Roam. 5. The only intended use case for the Roam is NOT just plugging it in at home and relying on battery power ONLY when taking it outside.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Google assistant is now disabled. I’ll check if this solves the issue. 

Also curious how none of the launch reviews mention this rather major issue, not suggesting a cover up but how could this not be seen during reviews, yet we see it within a day. 

I’m sure most reviewers are looking at the Roam in isolation - and not integrating with an existing complex Sonos system.   Unfortunately, the Sonos testing team may have made the same mistake when looking at how standby would/should work.

Sorry, there have been multiple variations of iPhone bricks, including several that are not powerful enough to properly charge the Sonos. Could you double check, please, and list the voltage and amperage of this brick?

This device is pretty trash. It does not hold a charge.

Power it off, completely (not sleep mode), the next morning it’s red LED is on for low battery. How is that even possible? 

Get more battery juice if you put it into sleep mode instead. That’s completely ridiculous.

This thing is a joke of a smart speaker and a waste of $200.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I have not one, but two, incidents open about poor Roam battery life. One never got a callback (though I was promised one in 48 hours -- that was over a week ago). The second was the result of reply to an email I sent the CEO email address (which I’ll bet the CEO never sees). In that email, I mentioned that Sonos keeps stubbing its toes with its fan base (remember bricking S1 speakers?) and that this forum discussion had (at the time more than 12K views – now >15K).

In reply, person from Sonos was both snippy and dismissive, According to him, all the problems are either user issues or a few bad batteries -- and you know you can’t rely on what you see on the internet.

Please post that Sonos email reply here so we all can see it and respond point by point. I’m concerned they don’t understand the issue regarding battery drain when the Roam is in standby and you are using your Sonos system for other speakers. 

Isn’t the issue that it keeps connecting and waking up every time you use the app? A software issue rather than a hardware thing

The humidity and temperature of the shower in the bathroom environment also likely affects battery life

I use my roam at home and it’s plugged in, I unplug it when I want to use it in the bath room or outside

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same issues here of course..., it is amazing that this battery drain problem has not been noticed by any of the many reviews I have read.
The problem is so obvious that I think there are only 2 possibilities:
- they didn't actually test the Sonos roam but just copied the publicity of Sonos
- they got a Sonos Roam without the problem.

Already the second day (21/4) I talked to Sonos about this (battery empty after 1 night in sleep mode) and James L. (Sonos staff) replied this: "I recommend submitting a diagnostic report and getting in touch with our customer care team who can take a closer look at that and figure out what might have happened."

I cannot believe that they are not aware of the problem…

William

Same here. Disappointing.

Hello guys,

Sonos doesn't explain well how to switch off the roam speaker fully.

To do this, long press the button behind, you must be able to hear 3 tones before the speaker turns off completely. To prove that your speaker is coming from a total shut down, it should start blinking white when you press the power button just once. 

Badge

I’m having the same issue.  I own a JBL Charge 2+  and that speaker never has to be charged!  I am perplexed why the Roam drains when it is turned off. 

Userlevel 7

I’m having the same issue.  I own a JBL Charge 2+  and that speaker never has to be charged!  I am perplexed why the Roam drains when it is turned off. 

Are you actually turning the Roam off by holding down the button on the back for five seconds until you hear a chime or are you just putting the Roam to sleep?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yep, I'm seeing this too. My Roam seems to always be low on battery when I grab it to listen to, which is extremely disappointing when people come over unexpectedly and we just want to put some tunes on in the garden. If a fix isn't released for this I'll be making a claim under the warranty. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

First off….What’s the difference in the pushing of the power button between sleep mode and just wanting it off?…...I was told by a Sonos rep to hold the power button for 7 seconds to get it to turn off.

Same here and i did not activate any assitant like google or alexa on it.... :-( really frustrating, ill return the unit

Badge

I had this same issue and contacted both sonos support and the company i purchased it from. No reply from sonos support and my retailer let me return it. My roam was going down to 35% without even using it. I even removed google assistant which did not make any difference. I had high hopes for this device, but it did not meet my expectations.

The issue i have now is removing it from the sonos app, i forgot to reset the device to factory settings before returning and now it just shows offline in the sonos app. I have searched in system for remove products but it’s not there. How can i remove it from my products now please

Userlevel 7

My Roam loses all battery power in one week when fully off. That is absurd! 10 hours of use? Never!

This is very unlikely. If the Roam is shut off completely, you should only be losing 1%-2% of battery charge per day. You are probably putting the Roam to sleep/standby mode which allows the battery to continue to drain when not in use and for the Roam to wake up anytime you access the Sonos app. Shut off the Roam completely by pressing and holding down the power button for 5 seconds until you hear a chime.

Off Is off. Sleep is ‘waiting for a wireless signal to wake up fully”, so there is still some energy consumption.