Sonos Roam - Battery drain

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

278 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Sonos just released the 13.3 update today, and it’s supposed to improve the Roam’s power management to help extend the battery life when it’s not actively being used.

But they didn’t fix the one thing that will REALLY help extend battery life in sleep mode.  Simply using the Sonos App for other speakers should NOT wake your Roam from sleep mode.  It still does with 13.3.   

The App should only wake the Roam from sleep, when you want to actively use the Roam, to either play by itself or group with other speakers.   Now, it wakes regardless.  So simply checking your music library or using any other Sonos speakers wastes Roam’s battery.  (How hard would it be to put in a software selection in the App -- “Wake My Roam”)?

So I’m in my office all day, using my app to control my office Sonos speakers -- it wakes the Roam constantly.  This is THE biggest problem  -- not fixed.

I know Sonos thinks that it is a feature (it isn’t, it’s a bug).  

Sure, I could power it OFF completely.  Then I have to go upstairs and physically use the power button to turn it back on.  Not an ideal solution.

Userlevel 7

But they didn’t fix the one thing that will REALLY help extend battery life in sleep mode.  Simply using the Sonos App for other speakers should NOT wake your Roam from sleep mode.  It still does with 13.3.   

The App should only wake the Roam from sleep, when you want to actively use the Roam, to either play by itself or group with other speakers.   Now, it wakes regardless.  So simply checking your music library or using any other Sonos speakers wastes Roam’s battery.  (How hard would it be to put in a software selection in the App -- “Wake My Roam”)?

So I’m in my office all day, using my app to control my office Sonos speakers -- it wakes the Roam constantly.  This is THE biggest problem  -- not fixed.

I know Sonos thinks that it is a feature (it isn’t, it’s a bug).  

Sure, I could power it OFF completely.  Then I have to go upstairs and physically use the power button to turn it back on.  Not an ideal solution.

If Sonos added a “Wake My Roam” feature, wouldn’t this add an extra step for users who want the Roam to wake up automatically from sleep mode when they use the app?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same Problem here and I see I am not the only one with this problem as to this and on other forum on the same “SONOS ROAM” this indicated there is QA - quality issues. 

My Battery Drains after 10 use after when it was fully charging the night before.

And Yes, I have fully powered off by holding the power button for 5 seconds as per instruction and no Led’s light were on indicating it was fully switched off. 

I contacted SONOS Tech Support and with no joy with an answer, and the phone conversation got disconnected from their end after I was placed on Hold as he was checking and never returned my call. very puzzled. Hope to reconnect with SONOS support tomorrow and hoping to get a resolution.

Badge +2

returning.

I have had it charging this morning at 730 AM and at 520 PM it's at 82 percent. I'm crossing fingers 12 hours of charge will give me 100 percent. Using the base charger as Costco kit doesn't come with the charge cable.

Basically charge a day before the day I need to use it.

Not as expected at all.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same Problem here and I see I am not the only one with this problem as to this and on other forum on the same “SONOS ROAM” this indicated there is QA - quality issues. 

My Battery Drains after 10 use after when it was fully charging the night before.

And Yes, I have fully powered off by holding the power button for 5 seconds as per instruction and no Led’s light were on indicating it was fully switched off. 

I contacted SONOS Tech Support and with no joy with an answer, and the phone conversation got disconnected from their end after I was placed on Hold as he was checking and never returned my call. very puzzled. Hope to reconnect with SONOS support tomorrow and hoping to get a resolution.

PS: Note: I used the SONOS ROAM “Wireless Charger” (the extra purchase) connected using its supplied lead and its supplied 3 pin power plug to the wall AC powerpoint for the charging.

What charger are you using? What voltage, what amperage? Is it Qi, or directly connected?

Badge +2

The Sonos triangle base chrarger.

I don't have the stock Sonos cable charger as this was a Costco special including the triangle base only no cables. 

Sorry, I’m not familiar with the specifics. Is that a QI charger, or a USB direct connect? Again, what’s the voltage and amperage listed on it?

Feature Request - I’d like to see a toggle in the hardware area at the bottom of the Sonos app for the Roam to turn Wi-Fi off completely.  For those times that I’m going to be away from home for an extended period of time, would rather not have the battery drain of it searching for my Wi-Fi all the time.

Badge +2

No idea, look on Sonos site it's the charger they sell it's sonos brand. Dude_ If you work for Sonos you should know your products, if not no biggie, you'll find it.

Doesn't matter though it's ridiculously slow.

I put 1 song on at 88 percent stopped the song half way now its at 86 percent.

It won't be at 100 percent charge after 12 hours on it.

I have a move on order but if it's the same I'm returning too.

Dude, do you see a “Sonos employee” next to my name? I’m just another user like you, trying to help. 

But I guess you’d prefer not to get help from other users, so I’d recommend that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, so you can talk to an actual Sonos employee.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge

@cpking If you are turning off the Roam completely, it should not fully discharge from 100% to 0% in four days. The only explanation for the discharge is you are only putting the Roam to sleep or your Roam is defective.

After you turn off the Roam, does it turn on automatically when you open the Sonos app or does it say it is offline or not listed on your system?

It says it’s offline.

Badge +2

Here's the charger. I would NOT get..

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/roam-wireless-charger.html

This little speaker is a huge disappointment with the battery life.  I wish I'd bought another UE boom.  It really is terrible.  I love the rest of the Sonos gear I have so went for the roam when UE boom battery started draining quickly after 5 years.  It turns out it is still better than the Sonos.

Hi everyone, 

I received my Sonos Roam yesterday and I am quite concerned by the battery drain on standby mode.

My roam is losing about 10% every hour on standby, which brings us to 10hours but I was expecting 10 hours in playing mode.

Should I be concerned by those stats are it was the expected consumption?

Thank you 🙂!

Hi, I was having the same issue and spoke to someone at Sonos, it was because I was only putting it in sleep mode which still connects to WiFi and checks for updates etc so will drain the battery. Hold the off button for five seconds which will power it off. I did this last night and the battery was still on 99% this morning. Hope this helps. 

Consider yourself fortunate then. I fully powered mine off last Sunday and it had easily 2/3rds charge. Tried powering it on just now - completely dead. I’m going to re-test this but if it does the same again I’m tempted to send it back. It’s not what was described / advertised.

Annoyingly I had to migrate to Sonos S2 app to get it to work too…

Also anyone managed to get it to work with the Sonos App while out and about? It seems that this functionality and Alexa are confined to when you’re at home and connected to your WIFI only - bit of a shame that.

Suffering same issue. I have just recharged the Roam and have turned it off. I will see how long it holds a charge by checking every 24 hours. Hopefully I am wrong but it seems to lose charge even when off in a unusually short span of time. Also somewhat annoyed that my system (S5, Sonos 1 x 3) won’t work on the same app. 

Are you saying that because Crutchfield didn’t post your review, Sonos is to be held responsible, so you’ll post in Sonos’ forum? That’s quite a leap. I’d expect your beef to be with Crutchfield, as I’d be willing to bet Sonos has zero control over anything on Crutchfield’s website. 

Here's the charger. I would NOT get..

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/roam-wireless-charger.html

Did you try this charger power adapter with the USB-C cable that comes with the Roam instead of the Qi pad? - it should charge much quicker with the cable as the Qi pad is only 5w, whereas the USB-C will charge at more than twice that rate, which should make quite a difference.

What app? All those devices should absolutely work on the Sonos controller. Assuming you meant a Sonos Five, and three Sonos Ones.

Badge +2

The cable is permanently attached to the pad.

The Costco deal does not come with a cable. 

I think the pad sez 10 and takes 2 hour to 50 percent.

The cable is permanently attached to the pad.

The Costco deal does not come with a cable. 

I think the pad sez 10 and takes 2 hour to 50 percent.

I think there’s ‘perhaps’ a bit of a misunderstanding here, It’s the power-supply end I mean, assuming it’s the same charger as the one sold on the Sonos website? - if you unplug the pad and it’s attached cable and just use the power adapter with the ‘angled’ USB-C cable that came with your Roam. That should charge it faster. Hope that assists.👍

Crutchfield finally posted my review!

Wanted to be fair here and revise this post to say Crutchfield finally posted my one star review - confidence in the system restored.

Userlevel 7

@cpking If you are turning off the Roam completely, it should not fully discharge from 100% to 0% in four days. The only explanation for the discharge is you are only putting the Roam to sleep or your Roam is defective.

After you turn off the Roam, does it turn on automatically when you open the Sonos app or does it say it is offline or not listed on your system?

It says it’s offline.

You must have a defective Roam. I shut off my Roam last night when the battery was at 74%. 12 hours later I turned it back on and the battery was at 73%. So you should only be losing about 1%-2% each day with the Roam shut off completely. Losing 100% in four days is not normal.

Badge +2

Ok thanks everyone I am returning and maybe replace and try again.

But as stated a couple times, this deal at Costco only came with the wireless pad and does not separate from the pad. It's the exact wireless cable they sell on Sonos site.

I'll update this after I replace. I stopped charging at 91 percent after 11 hours on the triangle base. Turned off and trusting Costco will come through as they usually do with returns. 

They all work on the controller and the original app for ios. But the Sonos Roam only works on the newer app, and you cannot sync it with the older ones (1’s). I have several “Connects” as well, which are too old to run in sync with the roam.

Crutchfield In Bed With Sonos

Just to let you know that last week I submitted a one star review on Crutchfield where I purchased the Roam from and described the battery drain issues, and guess what? It never got published on their site. However, they have since published six 5 star reviews and one 4 star review. So, that’s how the system works...

They finally posted my one star review. So I retract my previous statement.