Question

playbar and comittment for DTS playback firmware upgrade

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Klipsch has shown a wireless home theatre system done right at CES. It's going to be a lot, lot, lot more than what sonos offers at present but competition has seen the brilliance of wireless and is catching up, the death knell has sounded fir sonos http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/klipsch-shows-reference-premiere-wireless-home-theater/
I am so glad that there is more competition in the maket from the likes of Bose , lg and other s. When I read the official reply I just laught about it as it has never been about dts . For a system of over 2000 pounds you just expect it works out of the box , irregardless of that you don't use that functionality. Like Nokia, blackberry or Kodak who owned the maket as they invented it, it migh just be down to late to listen. Don't worry Sonos , keep the track you are taking to see who laughs and cries ...
Klipsch has shown a wireless home theatre system done right at CES. It's going to be a lot, lot, lot more than what sonos offers at present but competition has seen the brilliance of wireless and is catching up, the death knell has sounded fir sonos http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/klipsch-shows-reference-premiere-wireless-home-theater/
I'd agree with that. What brought me here was that I originally got a sub and watched a film and wasn't convinced the sound was "amazing". So I started looking into it and realised it was just pumping stereo out via the TV. I hadn't realised the TV was not passing dolby sound around. Sonos certainly are not very open about the reality here. When I realised you need to plug the optical cable in directly things were fine, it is still a pain to have to keep switching the lead, but at least I now get 5.1. I use my PS4 to decode DTS and things are good. What worries me more is that Netflix is coming to Australia soon and they use a different thing again and my understanding is that the optical cable can't carry this, so it would be similar to DTS. I'm not sure if my PS4 would decode this or not? Anyone? That would be a pain.

I guess the fact that i had to learn all of this is very frustrating...a product I thought just worked, doesn't and it is really being misold as an easy solution. I'd actually be fine with them if when sold the sellers were honest about the need to plug the optical cable directly into your satellite, ps4 etc. But they aren't. I do wonder how many people are getting a reduced quality sound just because they aren't aware. That to me is unfair and if it was my company i would feel bad about that.
I think there is something that those of us who come on these forums tend to forget.  That is how totally, and I mean TOTALLY, unlike the typical Sonos target customer we are.  As a Sonos reseller I know that what the vast majority of potential Playbar purchasers want is something that fits in with their new or existing Sonos system for music, and makes the TV sound a lot better than the TV's own speakers.  That's all.

They have never heard of DTS or Klipsch, and probably never will.  They all love the Playbar when they've got it. I think Sonos will survive a while yet.

John
Userlevel 1
Whilst I haven't personally heard that particular SUB I do rate Velodyne as having the best SUBs on the market. I've heard plenty of good SUBs that completely lose their crap when playing songs like Limit to your love-James Blake.
Userlevel 1
er what? The SUB might be a fine piece of equipment, but compare it to an SVS SB-2000 or even 1000 and you'll wonder what you're talking about...
Userlevel 1
I think you'll be surprised at what SONOS has planned for 2015. Remember that SONOS only has to implement a software change to enact any number of speakers in surround.
Anyone who is reading this is in all likelihood deeply invested in the system. I'd say it is unlikely they would just bin it. The call for dts seems a small issue to me, one they could fix. However it isn't just dts, there is also what Netflix uses.
Userlevel 3
I like sonos and and have invested deeply into there home theatre system (ur right the sub is so epically awesome) the point I'm trying to make is that what sets sonos apart from the rest pack is the freedom of wireless. This is something from what I've seen and read the other can't do with the same simplicity and finesse as sonos. Klipsch from what I've read has and it has the quality to match
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Very big statement in that I think of playbar as compliment to a while home Sonos system. Why would Klipsh making a nice soundbar have any bearing on the sonos whole home network and its success. I'm sure klipsh is nice. I have always found the sound too "bright".
Userlevel 1
Big statement to make really. Whilst I do think Klipsch makes excellent equipment, one major thing for SONOS is their SUB. Hands down the best SUB in its class and I've only heard SUBs In the $10k range perform as good. On top of that, not everybody wants big floor standing fronts.
Userlevel 3
I am so glad that there is more competition in the maket from the likes of Bose , lg and other s. When I read the official reply I just laught about it as it has never been about dts . For a system of over 2000 pounds you just expect it works out of the box , irregardless of that you don't use that functionality. Like Nokia, blackberry or Kodak who owned the maket as they invented it, it migh just be down to late to listen. Don't worry Sonos , keep the track you are taking to see who laughs and cries ...
Userlevel 1
To the person who suggested contact a lawyer - what a great idea. I am actually a corporate lawyer and had never looked at the Sonos website which says in terms of surround sound "play anything". This is misleading and deceptive and a breach of Australian consumer laws. Time to contact the ACCC
I too am a lawyer that randomly visits website blogs about products I don't own. I think we should sue the government for letting Sonos form a company and sell products to people.
To the person who suggested contact a lawyer - what a great idea. I am actually a corporate lawyer and had never looked at the Sonos website which says in terms of surround sound "play anything". This is misleading and deceptive and a breach of Australian consumer laws. Time to contact the ACCC
Hey what a coincidence, everyone else in this thread is a lawyer too, mate.
Userlevel 1
Userlevel 1
For Christmas I bought myself a top of the line Panasonic Blu-ray player that has the digital optical cable output. I can finally listen to Blu-rays in theater surround sound on my $2000 Sonos home theater system. I also bought a toslink switch so I can run the optical cable directly to my Sonos Playbar from the TV, Apple TV and my new Blu-ray player. 

The switch worked perfectly, now I have true surround sound when watching Apple TV, the difference is phenomenal. Then I switched to my new Blu-ray player well all the previews sounded really great I'm thinking man this is what it's all about. Surround sound was fantastic just what I wanted. Then the main feature started and no sound I'm thinking what is wrong with my new Blu-ray player perhaps I have a bad disk. So I put in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie and it played perfectly beautiful surround sound. Then I put in another movie and no sound from the feature film, so I cursed my new Blu-ray player, thinking it's the problem.

Then I started doing research on the internet trying to figure out what's wrong with my new Blu-ray player. Then I came across this thing called DTS and started reading blogs about how the Sonos is not configured to receive the DTS signal. So I just couldn't believe what I was reading that the problem is my Sonos and not the Blu-ray player. Sonos doesn't support DTS what the heck I replaced a perfectly good Panasonic Home Theater system with what I thought at the time was the most innovative advanced sound system I could buy. Well I must say the Playbar sounds beautiful when playing music from the Sonos app. However I feel cheated when I want to use the system as a home theater. Sonos should have never advertised this system as a home theater when in fact it's not. Enhanced 2 channel surround sound is not what I wanted.

I could get HDMI-ARC out of the TV (using a samsung 46F6770). But i'm using http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-4-Ports-Switcher-Splitter-with-Audio-Output-3D-compatible-with-v1-4-d... I don't think this one supports ARC :-(((
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
For Christmas I bought myself a top of the line Panasonic Blu-ray player that has the digital optical cable output. I can finally listen to Blu-rays in theater surround sound on my $2000 Sonos home theater system. I also bought a toslink switch so I can run the optical cable directly to my Sonos Playbar from the TV, Apple TV and my new Blu-ray player. 

The switch worked perfectly, now I have true surround sound when watching Apple TV, the difference is phenomenal. Then I switched to my new Blu-ray player well all the previews sounded really great I'm thinking man this is what it's all about. Surround sound was fantastic just what I wanted. Then the main feature started and no sound I'm thinking what is wrong with my new Blu-ray player perhaps I have a bad disk. So I put in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie and it played perfectly beautiful surround sound. Then I put in another movie and no sound from the feature film, so I cursed my new Blu-ray player, thinking it's the problem.

Then I started doing research on the internet trying to figure out what's wrong with my new Blu-ray player. Then I came across this thing called DTS and started reading blogs about how the Sonos is not configured to receive the DTS signal. So I just couldn't believe what I was reading that the problem is my Sonos and not the Blu-ray player. Sonos doesn't support DTS what the heck I replaced a perfectly good Panasonic Home Theater system with what I thought at the time was the most innovative advanced sound system I could buy. Well I must say the Playbar sounds beautiful when playing music from the Sonos app. However I feel cheated when I want to use the system as a home theater. Sonos should have never advertised this system as a home theater when in fact it's not. Enhanced 2 channel surround sound is not what I wanted.

Do you get output on the HDMI-ARC when playing from the TV-app?
Which switch are you using? I'm ready to get one.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Ok so there are a few options that you can do here, however part of the issue is with the TVs that most people have. Some, very limited TVs have DTS pass-through as well as DD. This means that even when sending DTS or DD TrueHD it will still be converted back to DD 2.0 through the optic out on your TV, if it allows pass-through. I have an Xbox One, but due to the 5yr old TV I have it won't allow me to pass through the setting required, which are stated on the SONOS website. To alleviate this I purchased a small 4 way HDMI switch box with optical out, that does both DTS Master and DD TrueHD. I since tested this with both the PS3 forcing it to only play DTS and using LOTR Extended and choosing DTS 6.1 from the menu. After that I used the Xbox One on Blueray and it was quiet insane. This little product was $98AUS and I think most people would like something like this added into the product.
Well, my TV (Philips 55PUS8809/12) actually passes any active HDMI input through to the TOSLINK so it actually works as an auto-switch. Only problem for me is that the stream will be DTS och DD+ if the source is. DTS don't work at all and DD+ gets very frequent audio drop-outs.
Ok so there are a few options that you can do here, however part of the issue is with the TVs that most people have. Some, very limited TVs have DTS pass-through as well as DD. This means that even when sending DTS or DD TrueHD it will still be converted back to DD 2.0 through the optic out on your TV, if it allows pass-through. I have an Xbox One, but due to the 5yr old TV I have it won't allow me to pass through the setting required, which are stated on the SONOS website. To alleviate this I purchased a small 4 way HDMI switch box with optical out, that does both DTS Master and DD TrueHD. I since tested this with both the PS3 forcing it to only play DTS and using LOTR Extended and choosing DTS 6.1 from the menu. After that I used the Xbox One on Blueray and it was quiet insane. This little product was $98AUS and I think most people would like something like this added into the product.
You'd need a different switch but not sure which.
It only takes a single input. So that is no good if you have a dvd/blu Ray and a satellite box, Apple TV etc
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
There's link to the product below. I just can't figure out from the description if the device actually transcodes ALL the stated digital HDMI input formats and outputs a DD5.1 (Sonos compliant) bitstream on the optical????
That is only 2 channels though?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Sorry, found the link below.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Donovan! What's the  make and model of the switch? I need it. Does it actually transcode all audio to DD5.1? If that is the case I reaay want it. If it is PCM Stereo or DD 2.0 out my TV can do that already.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Does anyone know if my TV supports DTS to DD and would adding a Blue-Ray work, my Toslink is TV to PlayBar and so far all okay. TV is http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/viera-televisions/led/tx-58ax802b.specs.html