Question

playbar and comittment for DTS playback firmware upgrade

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I too think this is a massive issue and have a HDMI switch box with a built in DTS HD and DD True HD converter, with optical output. Problem I have is I have to switch optical lines from TV to switch box when I want to watch a Bluray through my XB1. The decoder box is only $99, which I'm honestly surprised they don't add it to the Playbar, with dual optical inputs. I would really like grouping too of Play 1/3s in surround sound.
hi Donovan - I wasnt aware such a device existed.  The new(er) Samsung blurays do DTS to DD 5.1 conversion on the fly but didnt know you could get a switchbox that would handle any DTS source and convert it - can you provide a link ??
thanks,
nick
Userlevel 1
I too think this is a massive issue and have a HDMI switch box with a built in DTS HD and DD True HD converter, with optical output. Problem I have is I have to switch optical lines from TV to switch box when I want to watch a Bluray through my XB1. The decoder box is only $99, which I'm honestly surprised they don't add it to the Playbar, with dual optical inputs. I would really like grouping too of Play 1/3s in surround sound.
Userlevel 3
Hi John I think you're being a bit picky saying DTS isn't relevant to its use as a music system. I have a great many music blue rays. They are all in DTS 5.1 and used to sound fantastic on my 10 year old AV receiver. Now they just sound ok. Of course if I play a Dolby 5.1 source it sounds fantastically nice. Thats what I want all the time and is what I paid for. The original DTS idea thread had 1468 'me too' votes and is still third in the most popular list even thought it has been closed. I think that shows how much of an issue it is. It will get worse as Sonos are advertising a 5.1 system and people will expect it to play the most popular formats. Lets face it; connected via a TV the Sonos doesn't play 5.1 in any true sense unless the TV is broadcast in 5.1. So for everything else it just plays a 5.1 experience. It really doesn't make any sense.
Hi Donovan. I'm not trying to defend the Sonos position, and I'm aware of the pass-through issue. As my earlier post pointed out, you can avoid pass-through by using a digital optical switch. But the Playbar's lack of support for DTS sabotages this unless you have a Blu-ray player that can transcode DTS into DD5:1. I still think you are overestimating how massive this is for the typical Playbar purchaser, as opposed to people like us who post on forums like these. John, Canford Cliffs Audio
Userlevel 1
I think he was being sarcastic about the last statement. DTS is going to be a massive issue very soon, as all Bluray movies will be encoded in DTS. As I stated about though the issue isn't the Playbar, it's your TV not supporting Pass-Through. The optical output on most TVs is Dolby 2.0 and the Playbar decodes it from there
Hi David. As a Sonos reseller (but speaking purely for myself) I would also like a more satisfactory explanation from Sonos on the DTS issue. But my experience is that most Playbar purchasers and potential purchasers don't care about this issue when I point it out, so I'm guessing Sonos don't think it should be a high business priority. (I'm not saying it's wrong for you to care about it, just saying many people don't.) Your last comment puzzles me though. Yes it is a music system - but DTS is not relevant to the Playbar's use as a music system, so you appear to be contradicting your own argument?? John, Canford Cliffs Audio
Userlevel 3
The more I read the more I am puzzled by the Sonos stance of not supporting DTS. What is the real reason? Can the network not support the bandwidth? If so just be upfront about it. Is it too expensive to licence? I don't think so given the premium price tag. So what's the real reason? Surely not Just Mr 'designer' has his head up his woofer? Really? It's a music system so just support the popular formats or say so in BIG letters on the box.
Userlevel 1
Ok so there are a few options that you can do here, however part of the issue is with the TVs that most people have. Some, very limited TVs have DTS pass-through as well as DD. This means that even when sending DTS or DD TrueHD it will still be converted back to DD 2.0 through the optic out on your TV, if it allows pass-through. I have an Xbox One, but due to the 5yr old TV I have it won't allow me to pass through the setting required, which are stated on the SONOS website. To alleviate this I purchased a small 4 way HDMI switch box with optical out, that does both DTS Master and DD TrueHD. I since tested this with both the PS3 forcing it to only play DTS and using LOTR Extended and choosing DTS 6.1 from the menu. After that I used the Xbox One on Blueray and it was quiet insane. This little product was $98AUS and I think most people would like something like this added into the product.
I agree with Chris that the best and simplest solution would be for DTS support to be added. Despite being a huge Sonos fan and a Sonos reseller, I find Sonos' policy on this puzzling at best. However, my setup gets round all the issues, albeit with workarounds that shouldn't be needed. Luckily I needed to replace the Bluray player anyway. It is: 1. Panasonic Plasma TV that passes only stereo out through digital optical 2. Sonos Playbar, Sub and two Play:1s for surround sound. Play:1s on Flexson floorstands. 3. Samsung BD-F6500 Smart Bluray player, which is set to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital 5:1, so OK with disks that have only DTS soundtrack. Also streams Netflix and Amazon Prime (Lovefilm) 4. BT Vision box (I imagine a Sky satellite box could be substituted here) 5. ViewHD 3:1 optical digital switch. This avoids passing audio through the TV. 6. Connections: HDMI from BT box to TV and from Bluray to TV. Digital optical cables from TV, Bluray and BT box to digital optical switch. Digital optical cable from switch to Playbar. I also have a Logitech Harmony Touch universal remote which makes controlling whole thing easy, although this isn't essential. This is not a setup that has official Sonos approval. I have not personally experienced any issues over sound quality, nor with audio/video sync. Not that I can notice, anyway. I love my Sonos surround system!! John, Canford Cliffs Audio
Shane,  

There are options for Blu-rays that encode the audio track in DTS if you're seeking full 5.1 via Dolby Digital.  There are several models of blu-ray player available which are capable of transcoding from DTS to Dolby, and the Xbox One is capable of doing this as well (if you happen to be an Xbox owner).

We're always evaluating industry trends for future developments but at this time the other posters are correct - there are no plans to implement DTS for the PLAYBAR in the future.

The PS3 can decode. 

Why does it matter what you feel the "Future Trends" are, just add what your customers are asking for! PLEASE
Shane,  

There are options for Blu-rays that encode the audio track in DTS if you're seeking full 5.1 via Dolby Digital.  There are several models of blu-ray player available which are capable of transcoding from DTS to Dolby, and the Xbox One is capable of doing this as well (if you happen to be an Xbox owner).

We're always evaluating industry trends for future developments but at this time the other posters are correct - there are no plans to implement DTS for the PLAYBAR in the future.

Do you happen to know if the sony ps3 does the same thing re dts? I have a new sound w95 tv and that is able to send dts Via optical and hdmi. It's a bit of a let down by your company as a lot,of the new blu ray DVDs are only encoding dts or true hd dts. I really do think you need to reconsider updating the firmware to allow dts. Surely it's not that hard to do. When I bought the tv I bout the playbar, sub and 2 play 1's and I feel rather cheated that I'm not getting the best sound possible bearing in mind what i have spent on the system.
Badge +18
Shane,  

I'm pretty sure you can take the "Not Planned" status at face value.  So far, the number of Ideas with a "Not Planned" status that have been "reconsidered" is exactly zero.  When they mark something "Not Planned" it seems to be pretty final, and certainly not something that needs any further clarification.
I believe that the reason for not including DTS is because of most of the TVs lack DTS support. But I hope the reconsider this due to the fact of all future TVs most likely will have this possibility. I have a Samsung and I'm forced to change output every time I turn on a blue ray. I'm even open for paying additionally if it is a cost factor.