Question

playbar and comittment for DTS playback firmware upgrade

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Is it? Like, wireless, home theatre, 5.1?

All valid research results.

Who ,that doesn't have prior knowledge or technical understanding, thinks to check what kind of audio signal can be passed over optical from their television? What average consumer thinks to check that out?
Userlevel 1
The reaserch required to figure out if Sonos is right for you is actually very quick and simple. That's the whole theme behind Sonos.
So you have the time, inclination and technical understanding to thoroughly research every purchase you every make? Good on ya. Way to pat yourself on the back. You are clearly the superior consumer.

Your post is a bunch of pointless jibes with no substance. 

End of the day, there are a number of customers that aren't happy with Sonos.

We're going to talk about it. And I , for one, and going to tell others about.

Word of mouth is just another form of research.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I'm on the fence here, and researched what I was buying before hand. Yes agreed sonos should be looking to add DTS support but the users on here I think are being out of order, when I spend £600 on anything I don't just take it for granted it is going to serve my needs without the research. I don't buy a car without checking out reviews, mpg, etc. I didn't walk into currys and spend 2.5k on a 58" 4K TV with-out checking it served my needs. And I definitely don't watch a TV advert for any product and walk into shop and buy it based on what a very expensive marketing agency is paid to make sheep walk in stores and empty their wallets. So have your moan about the lack of support for DTS on the PlayBar but remember you choose to buy it based on the time you spend researching it, and going by that it would be the same time taken as a salesman managed to empty your wallet.
omg... just bought a fake 5.1 Sonos setup.

Sonos: I bought all your products based on you advertising I would get an immersive 5.1 experience. From my point of view I have been misled. (HiFi 5.1 surround which gives a great experience and delivers home cinema goods, translates to DTS and the best of the best in my world)

Maybe there are legal aspects that are different in my country, but here you should be informed if a product does not deliver something what you would assume it would do based on that what is being advertised, both what is written and what is NOT being written. You should really add that you can not play blu ray, that you need an optical switch because you will not get 5.1 surround sound from a TV and that in fact you do not get a home cinema sound. The music is fine.

I feel misled and would like to know if I can return my products directly to you. The resailer I bought it from does not take it back after 14 days and without the original packaging. I did not get a 5.1 home cinema.....actually I got no sound at all since my blu rays can not be played.....

I sold my Marantz receiver and Kef e305 set to get sonos..... just to get rid of the wires and make things simpler. Well ok, that I achieved..... at the loss of so many simple standard features you wouldn't even think of not being incorporated in your products because they are so...well ...basic (like DTS).

You could always just decide to add DTS though, that would solve it as well.

I bad mouth the Sonos HT "experience" every time I see it come up on a forum that I visit.

I will continue to go out of my way to do so until such time as proper surround support is added.
omg... just bought a fake 5.1 Sonos setup.

Sonos: I bought all your products based on you advertising I would get an immersive 5.1 experience. From my point of view I have been misled. (HiFi 5.1 surround which gives a great experience and delivers home cinema goods, translates to DTS and the best of the best in my world)

Maybe there are legal aspects that are different in my country, but here you should be informed if a product does not deliver something what you would assume it would do based on that what is being advertised, both what is written and what is NOT being written. You should really add that you can not play blu ray, that you need an optical switch because you will not get 5.1 surround sound from a TV and that in fact you do not get a home cinema sound. The music is fine.

I feel misled and would like to know if I can return my products directly to you. The resailer I bought it from does not take it back after 14 days and without the original packaging. I did not get a 5.1 home cinema.....actually I got no sound at all since my blu rays can not be played.....

I sold my Marantz receiver and Kef e305 set to get sonos..... just to get rid of the wires and make things simpler. Well ok, that I achieved..... at the loss of so many simple standard features you wouldn't even think of not being incorporated in your products because they are so...well ...basic (like DTS).

You could always just decide to add DTS though, that would solve it as well.
Userlevel 1
Badge
You just can't compare Sonos to wired systems. They are the most innovative wireless multi room system out there. They have issues that we can see but do they know something we don't.? Is there a new format that will replace DTS? Is it just a licensing fee issue? I don't know. What I do know is I will never have a wired home theater again. Keep us posted Sonos. You do have loyal customers that love the product.
Of those mentiones above , only Sonos and LG are wireles, multiroom and multichannel home theater capable.
Samsung's does home theater but won't pair additional speakers for true surround.
Panasonic ALL systems have no support for home theater.
Bose's Lifestyle systems use wired speakers.
You just can't compare Sonos to wired systems. They are the most innovative wireless multi room system out there. They have issues that we can see but do they know something we don't.? Is there a new format that will replace DTS? Is it just a licensing fee issue? I don't know. What I do know is I will never have a wired home theater again. Keep us posted Sonos. You do have loyal customers that love the product.
hi Joe, I am in Australia. One of the retailers here, JB Hi Fi, stock a few different ranges of the multi room systems from:
- Sonos
- LG
- Samsung
- Bose

I went there today. The choice isn't as simple like a few years back when there was only the sonos. I am glad I didn't get the sonos like I almost did 12 months ago as there are now more options. Just doing my homework on which one now.
If this helps anyone I've got 5.1 by plugging the optical cable directly into my foxtel/sky and playstation and changing the settings if that helps. It doesn't work via the tv. Bit of a pain to keep switching the lead but the sound is clearly better. Annoying that this wasn't clearer from the start! 

I guess the issue with the lack of support for DTS is that it isn't clear why not. I've read quite a few replies and never seen the "why" part. The other thing I'm not clear on is how good will a PS4 decode the DTS signal to get 5.1? In reality how big will the difference be? Anyone?

My summation of other responses is because Sonos aren't explaining the "why" part people are unclear as to whether it will NEVER be possible or that they DON'T want to do it. Those are very important distinctions, where the later gives hope (hence the 500+ responses), but if it was the first answer then people would stop posting!
Userlevel 1
Chris, Are you from the UK? I have heard the LG system mentioned a couple times but can't find it in the US. I'm not a big fan of the Samgung.
Joe, you said "You just can't compare Sonos to wired systems. They are the most innovative wireless multi room system out there. " Whilst you can't compare to wire systems, you can compare Sonos with the following Multi-Room systems: - LG Music Flow - http://www.lg.com/uk/smart-hi-fi-systems - Samsung - http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/multiroom/ - Panasonic "All" - http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/wireless-speaker-systems.html I have looked at the LG Music Flow and it seems to be the more complete system and the sound is pretty good. I am trying to understand its DTS support and how it works as a 5.1 system. So if anyone has one, I would like to know any feedback.
Ryan,

That is like saying, there are many people who enjoy 128kbps sound so there was no point in putting in higher fidelity speakers. Or many audio tracks don't use stereo's full potential so we'll just be playing in mono.

There might not be many who will use DTS, but there is clearly a need for it. Same way not everybody will appreciate the Sonos design or experience but that hasn't stopped you in the past from producing a high quality product. There is just a bit of inconsistency to why DTS isn't supported.
Userlevel 3
My tv does pass through both DD and DTS ... I still believe in sonos that's why I invested in two play 1 this Monday gone and it sounds very good through the Xbox one, but it would've nice to have DTS just to future proof my new system, don't know if 4K Blu-Ray which will be realised next year will have this work around.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Ian Hammond

I’m sorry if this comes across as contempt, that’s not what was intended. We want to be clear and upfront that DTS support is not planned so that everyone can make their own decision about whether or not PLAYBAR is the right product for them. There are workarounds available, but they may not be right for everyone either.

@User740479

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree here. There are many people who do enjoy the surround sound PLAYBAR produces from Blu-rays even without using a transcoding or switching workaround, but we recognize that this isn’t right for everyone.  
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Ryan, tell your marketing people to have the guts to be honest in their advertising. You clearly can't play all the music on earth. Clearly not simple to set up (you need an optical and/or hdmi switch). You don't provide full-theatre hifi sound. You don't give us the power to play anything and make it sound amazing. It doesn't easily connect to your tv to play everything. Your web pages should have asterisks and small text at the bottom of each page. Sonos is deceitful. I dare you to put your comment on your website and a warning that if you wish to use Bluray then "this may not be the product for your needs". I dare you.
Badge
Lover can - I like your optimism, but seriously - don't hold your breath..... Sonos have shown such a level of contempt for their customers it's amazing. David - it's already starting to happen. I just bought my first alternative device to Sonos and will be testing it out over Christmas. I expect a complete replacement of all my sonos' in the new year.
You are correct most TVs do not pass through DTS however almost all blu-ray movies only output DTS if the playbar could decode DTS you could use like me an optical splitter to switch between Sky ,TV and Blu-ray I have the top Panasonic model player cost me £500 but it cant convert DTS. I also have a massive Blu-ray collection that I cant get 5.1 surround sound from. Sonus is a very good product but when an alternative arrives and it will, you will loose a lot of valuable customers.
Dear Ryan, your evaluation was taken nearly year ago. Don't you think that is time to re-evaluate it?
As many other I can't recommend sonos to my friends as it has such an issue with nowadays sound standards.
I like sonos (after all I spent £1.5k) and have made myself a workaround to decode DTS to DD, but on the other hand it is a shame that such an expensive products have such limited functionality.
I still believe that DTS will be available with next firmware upgrade.
Yes but you do realise that most people who are buying sonos products are also buying a new to and most if not all NEW TVS are able to pass dts signals. So really it's seems a bit of a cop out as to everyone it looks like you can't be bothered to pay for the licensing. In reality it would probably cost each sonos owner about 10p if you passed the cost onto us. No one from sonos has given us a reason other than most OLDER TVS won't pass dts. If the majority of your customers would appreciate dts then would it not be a good idea to listen to us???
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Refreshing - someone that researches and buys what is right for them!

Ok I shouldn't say that as I know a lot of times when people come and complain they were told incorrect information by some sales rep. at a store.
Userlevel 1
Love my Sony. Toslink has been around for a very long time. HDMI keeps changing. Time to get the TV manufacturers to fix their problem of passing quality signals through. As soon as Sonos conformas the HDMI will be out if date.
Userlevel 1
That's fair enough. You are, in fact, the perfect customer for the playbar, as your TV passes the signal and you only stream content. Unfortunately there are far too many TVs that don't pass the signal; has nothing to do with the quality of the tv, more often the brand. Most Sony's, for example, pass the signal, Samsung do sometimes with a firmware update, and as far as I know Panasonic do not.
Userlevel 1
My TV passes DD 5.1. And if I needed that kind of superior sound I would buy a wired system. I don't mean to upset anyone. I did my reaserch before I bought. I knew the systems limitations and then bought it for what it is. I appreciate the simplicity and wireless multi room capability.
Userlevel 1
lol it's blu-ray, not DVD. Just a bit of a difference. People buy blu-rays for lossless audio and superior picture. 
Besides, many streaming services connect to the TV via HDMI (Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast) which means Dolby audio will be downmixed to 2.0 out of the optical port of the TV anyway. 

You sound like someone who would be fine with the 'fake' surround that the Playbar mixes with the 2.0 signal, and that's fine. Many people don't mind. There are those of us though with higher quality audio in mind, and setting down over 2k on an audio system that advertises itself as 5.1 (which is clearly a lie) means we expect certain standards from what was an industry leader.
Userlevel 1
Joe if you stream HD content most tv's will pass the sound (5.1) to the playbar since streaming will be 'over the air'. How is your comment helping here?