Move: Battery Drain Test

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

127 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@jamrolu,….. team is working on an issue where sometimes the Move will power back on after it’s been shut off, which has caused some issues with these tests.

This is from back in the days that Sonos responses were more than they are now.

Hi folks! I can imagine how inconvenient it is to all of you and we really appreciate your patience. Just to let you know that the issue is open and the designated team are still working on it. We’ll keep you posted here. 

There was even this too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Anyone do a test with new S2 (12.0) fw?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@jamrolu, when you turned it back on, did it seem like it was waking up from being in standby or from being turned off? The team is working on an issue where sometimes the Move will power back on after it’s been shut off, which has caused some issues with these tests.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Ryan S how do I tell the difference? Is there an amount of time or a chime or whatever which would make this clear? The app showed it as offline before I turned it on.

If it was powered off, the lights on top would flash white as it’s booting up and it would take a little while to show up. If it was in standby, it would come up right away, likely with no lights flashing on top. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey @Ryan S - was this fixed in 12.0/S2?

thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @Ryan S - in this particular example it booted up.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @JohnG666, thanks for reaching out and we appreciate your time here with the community. Resetting is part of the troubleshooting if everything has been tried if it will make any difference and if it’s not, reach out to our phone support team and proceed with the replacement as it shouldn’t be that way while we’re working on it. We understand it is indeed inconvenient and unacceptable. Rest assured that we are doing our best here to make it up to you so you can continue enjoying what you’ve invested with us. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

So, you didn’t read the post by the Sonos representative three posts above yours?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @JohnG666, thanks for your response. I understand where you are coming from and the Move should work as it is without problems. We’re here to help, isolate, and troubleshoot if there’s a problem and if it’s really needed to be replaced. Also, all purchases from Sonos.com are covered by our money-back guarantee, so you can try our Sonos Move and check it with our Sales team. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Day 3 results - 86% remaining.  Played some music to my Amp (Lounge) zone yesterday.  Move showed as offline when I did so.

14% in 3 days in a supposedly off state is a rather high self-discharge rate for a Li-Ion or Li-Polymer battery.  I never observed it as being online in the app when I used it with other Sonos speakers and it was always off when and I hard to turn it back on to check the level in the morning before I posted.  Doesn’t rule out that it doesn’t come on overnight but it was never my observation.  However if its not coming on overnight, I don’t know what explains that discharge rate - is the battery not lithium-ion?

One other thing to note, I was in WiFi mode.  After this mornings level check I immediately turned it off.  Decided to turn it back on again.  The light blinks as it boots up and it takes a few seconds to connect to wifi as it is powered on.  In doing so the battery level was now at 85%,  So just the bootup process used 1% of power (or the 86% reading was right on the cusp of 85-85 ).  So I did another test, right after I powered down (via 5 second push and sound effect), I powered back up 2nd time to try and gauge battery used in a boot-up/connect to wifi sequence but the battery was still at 85% so booting up doesn’t eat that much power on its own.

It would be interesting what the self-discharge rate is if left in bluetooth mode only and this same test is performed over a few days.

@BigEngine, thank-you for clarifying. I have an early Move here too. I know li-ion batteries do lose some charge, even when powered off, but I’ve not tested my own devices recently to see what happens when they’re powered off for a period, so when I get chance I will try this too to see what I see with my device and report back here.

I’m experiencing the Sonos Move battery drain problem too on a new Sonos Move. I charge it up to 100%, turn it off completely with a 5 second press, and 6 days later it is completely dead and will not power up with a long press. I can charge it back up by placing it on the cradle.  I’ve gone through this cycle 3 times now so it’s clearly not holding a charge when powered completely off. 

Userlevel 1

I want to post an update.  I found a post on another site that said if your SONOS MOVE is unresponsive, press the power button for 60 seconds then it will come to life.  Well I did that, it did not come to life, UNTIL I reset it on the charging cradle, than boom.  My sonos windows app, saw it, said it was at 100% power and I’ve used it today.  Still only got about 5-6 hours out of it, but at least it’s working again.

Subscribing as I am having same issue. First time I have ever seen a battery (let alone in a $400 device) go from 100% to 0% without use / powered off in less than 1 week. Other than that, love the sound quality and build quality of the Sonos Move. 

Sonos - Please let me know if there is a fix out there or update required for the device. 

After skimming through this thread it’s not clear if this is an issue with all Move speakers or a bug with some of them? 

Any owners not seeing this battery drain?

Sonos reps, is this the expected performance? 

Sonia reps,

Any comments. I’d purchase a Move while on sale if you can give me some information. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Update on my testing of TWO new sonos Moves (purchased Dec 2020). Both are in the shutdown state (5 second press of the On/Off button). They are both averaging a battery drain of about 4.2% each day (I boot them up every few days to check the battery percentage then shut them back down). So there you have it. They are definitely not in a true OFF state. So you can expect a MOVE to kill a fully charged battery in about 24 days in the OFF state.

So I think if you are NOT using them for a long period of time (say 3-4 months - storage at cottage), I have no idea what the best storage plan is. Maybe just leave them on the base. Alternatively, charge once every 3 weeks. Or if you are brave, open up and pull the wire on the battery.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Is anyone at Sonos working on this bug?

Ryan S acknowledged it before his retirement from Sonos.  I hope it isn’t in limbo and is actively being looked at.

The Move is a great speaker but it draining power the way it does when supposedly completely powered down is not acceptable for a $400 speaker!

SONOS seems quiet on the subject. An update would be appreciated if any work is being done on the issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks! I can imagine how inconvenient it is to all of you and we really appreciate your patience. Just to let you know that the issue is open and the designated team are still working on it. We’ll keep you posted here. 

I just got two Sonos Move’s and neither holds their battery after being fully turned off. Fully charged both devices to 100%, turned them both off and upon returning to them a couple days later with no use, they’re totally dead??

Has there been any solution to this issue or do I need to return them?

My Move battery drains from full to empty in 3 weeks. 

I just called the support line. Waste of time, guy sounded clueless and a summary of the call is the battery drain issue is normal get over it. 

The support page gives an email address for the CEO, no doubt it goes to a bureau or secretary at best. If enough people email it though, they might start to listen? Ceo@sonos.com

Can't believe how crap their customer service is.

I also have this problem. Of course my Sonos is out of the window for returning. It seems as if my $400 wireless speaker has now become a wired speaker. I thought maybe it was me leaving it on or something and so I didn't bother to look into it until too late.

Having the same issue with battery drain when completely off. Purchased the move 2 weeks ago. Disappointing. 

Hi, me too. I only get about 5hrs of playback on battery power. No where near the 10 hours as specified. Could this be due to a  faulty unit?  Is anyone else experience the same issue?

I am in the same situation the battery lasts very little at medium volume, I have deactivated the LED light, and lower the bass to 1, deactivate the touch buttons, is someone going the same way?  greetings from Mexico city

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Is there a good alternative to the Move, wireless to connect to my NAS and Tunein capable?.

I was mulling over a Move for working in the shed but reading all this it's not up to the job and at £400 not worth the gamble.

I'm on S1 so no Roam, doesn't have to be Sonos tbh.