Move: Battery Drain Test

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

127 replies

Badge +1

Adding my voice to this topic.  My Move when fully powered down with long press of Power Button + Beep, will suffer battery drain from 100% down to 65% over 6 days.   Unit was listed as offline the whole time in the Android App.  It was free standing not docked on power ring.   No other battery device I own losses anything like this much charge over such a short period.  If Sonos is listening to this topic - please fix.  

Userlevel 2

I purchased two Sonos Moves about three weeks ago and they discharge approximately 50-100% in approximately one day. They constantly power themselves on for no reason. What’s the deal? This is a terrible design, and I basically can’t “move” them off the cradle and leave them anywhere and expect to play tunes the next day.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.
I have some suggestions for you about this issue. First, try to power off the Sonos Move by removing the Move from the charging cradle or USB-C charger. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Wait an additional 5 seconds after powering off the Move then turn on the Move again or place the Move on the charging cradle in the correct orientation. If it is still the same after trying that, I’d suggest trying to reset the Move to its factory settings. After reset, try to observe again and if it’s still the same, call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET to further check and maybe proceed with the replacement same with @revoshift as the investigation is still ongoing and we want you to enjoy your speaker. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @n1c0, welcome to the community, and thanks for reaching out. I understand where you are coming from and we all want the Sonos products like the Move to work smoothly so you can enjoy your music and experience with us so if it’s not acting as it should be, call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday 10 am to 9 pm ET to better assist you. Just let us know if you still need anything.

We and the community are always here to help.

Having the same issue with the Move battery. I spoke with a Sonos rep via webchat recently and was told the battery drain is nothing unusual. Yeah right. No other device I have ever owned has this issue.

Going to try to return to the point of sale and won't buy another Sonos product just because of the perceived lack of care for everyone on this thread.

Shame because the One I own is a brilliant speaker. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’ve just received my Move… and thought I’d do a final search online before I opened the box, and I found this thread! This is a definite dealbreaker, something which is intended to be portable needs to respect battery life wherever possible. Some bug or design decision here isn’t.

@Ryan S three months passed between your first and second message, can you at least give a hint as to whether or not any clues have been found as to whether this will be fixed, and when?

I’ll leave mine sealed until there is a clearer answer and timeline, I don’t want to commit to keeping it if this rolls on!

Userlevel 7

Still Testing.

Same issue here, 10 days completely powered down, not in standby, and battery drops to 50% from a full charge. Any fix for this battery drain?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Got another reply from support saying it’s normal for the battery to be consumed when in standby mode even though in every single email correspondence with them I have clearly stated that the Move was turned off completely!

I don’t think I’ll ever get a satisfactory answer to the question I’m asking so will not bother considering the Move at the moment.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sounds promising 🤞🏼

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

One thing to note → I didn’t use the Sonos app for anything yesterday, just checked a couple time to see if the Move was still offline.  I mention that as some people think the remote app might be doing some sort of WOL when used.  For me I always saw the Move as Offline

I don’t have an overly excessive Sonos setup as some do, I only have 3 zones, my basement (A Beam-two symfonisk bookshelfs and a sub) used for TV via HDMI most times not music….  and an AMP hooked up to floorstanders.  The Move is my 3rd zone.  I also don’t use Sonosnet → no boost and nothing is hardwired → everything is Wifi.  It bears mentioning as it could make a difference.

Surely if Alexa is switched on and permanently waiting to be woken up, that will reduce battery life.

Interested to know if you switch Alexa off, whether battery life is better or not ?

I bought my Move a couple of months ago but only just been able to use it for long sessions in the garden as the weather improves. I was slightly disappointed that I only got 8 hours before the battery run out. I saw your post and switched off Alexa - result last 2 days - 10 and half hours on consecutive days. Thumbs up Go Sonos

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi everyone, the team is looking into some things around battery and powered off state behavior. You should see about 5 days in standby, but it should drain over 30 days when powered off.

There have been a few cases we’ve seen where a Move powers itself on and we’re looking into it. It’s early on in the investigation stages right now as they’re trying to see what’s causing the powering up. But I’ll let you know if there’s more to share. If it does power itself back on after the unit had be turned off properly, it would then go into standby mode and drain out the rest of its battery over, at most, 5 days.

Many thanks for your reply much appreciated :) Apologies to all if I was appearing to be a little annoying keep posting the same questions!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

The longer the silence goes on from Sonos about the Move battery issues, the more I think that it’s not something that can be fixed by software. Really sad because I would have bought one by now if it wasn’t for the battery drain issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.
I have some suggestions for you about this issue. First, try to power off the Sonos Move by removing the Move from the charging cradle or USB-C charger. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Wait an additional 5 seconds after powering off the Move then turn on the Move again or place the Move on the charging cradle in the correct orientation. If it is still the same after trying that, I’d suggest trying to reset the Move to its factory settings. After reset, try to observe again and if it’s still the same, call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET to further check and maybe proceed with the replacement same with @revoshift as the investigation is still ongoing and we want you to enjoy your speaker. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

The last communications from Sonos staff on this thread said that they were investigating a software issue. Are they still investigating this? Has a solution been found? I’m not sure that resetting the Move to factory settings is going to achieve anything if it is a software issue?

The main problem this device has in my opinion (and I don’t own one yet) is that it loses so much battery life when switched off completely. People who know what they are doing have stated that their Move wasn’t in standby mode, it was completely powered off and still lost a lot of battery life. That is unacceptable for me.

Hi, me too. I only get about 5hrs of playback on battery power. No where near the 10 hours as specified. Could this be due to a  faulty unit?  Is anyone else experience the same issue?

I’ve just recently bought the Move and am very disappointed by the battery drain when not in use, especially as I have the mic and top lights turned off. It seems to come out of standby whenever I use the app for my TV set-up in another room. Very annoying.

Wish I’d paid attention to this thread before buying as I’m considering returning it.

I just received my Move. Charged it up to 100% and then took it off the cradle. I Listened to music on WiFi for a couple hour and went to bed. When I went to listen to music again the next day the battery was completely dead.  How long should the battery last on WiFi standby?

I just received my Move. Charged it up to 100% and then took it off the cradle. I Listened to music on WiFi for a couple hour and went to bed. When I went to listen to music again the next day the battery was completely dead.  How long should the battery last on WiFi standby?

Have exactly the same issue in Move bought yesterday.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I hope this issue will get more attention as the Move seems to be selling well during this holiday sale.

While the Move should still go into a low power mode and not be dead if left off cradle overnight, this issue is with discharge when its supposed to be completely off.  

Did you do a long press of power until a chime is played when you shut it down?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Another month has past since me last asking about the Move and still nothing has been said about the battery issues that a lot of people are suffering with.

I don’t own a Move yet and won’t until this is explained/sorted. Has anyone actually had their battery issues sorted by going through the reset routines that seem to be the standard scripted answer for this problem?

I bought three Moves for my outdoor space. Wow do I regret that because of this battery drain issue. No other battery powered device in my experience (high end or low end and everything in between) drains this quickly. This is a fail Sonos. Let's be clear, this is a major design defect that if everyone knew about it before purchasing many would not purchase! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

And your results are…………………

Battery Life

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The one thing that bugs me is that when I first got my Moves, they all had 80% plus battery when I FIRST turned them on. But even in the powered OFF state, they are only good for about 24 days. So that leads me to believe that when they first ship from China, they are in some other OFF state which allows the batteries to last MUCH longer powered OFF. So there must be something more they can do.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I think it’s safe to assume that the Sonos Move will lose about 4% power while it is in the Powered Off state (5 second press of the power button). This is NOT the standby state, but fully powered off.

As with most electronics, “powered off” really isn’t powered off. Unless you have a physical switch cutting power from the battery to the board, it’s still going to draw something.

Clearly this is a bit of a design flaw in which there is nothing they can do with it at this time until they come up with an actual design change (hardware). This is not an issue that “some” people have. This is an issue with every single MOVE sold. I have one, my brother has one, they all lose 4% power every day in the OFF state. I tested it, my brother has, lots of people have. That’s the way it is.

So I would say if you are not happy with that, take it back. Or alternatively, void your warranty, open it up and pull the wire off the battery once fully charged. Or install a physical switch!

From what I’ve read, Lithium batteries will hold a charge quite well if there is NO LOAD on them. So if you have a MOVE and want the battery to last as long as possible (for storage reasons say), that might be the best solution. Pull the wire on the battery. I’m not sure how to get into the MOVE. I suspect that under that little piece of rubber strip on the bottom their may be some screws, but not sure.

BTW. I have Lithium batteries that are used for RC cars and they last for months disconnected. BUT. If they do get FULLY drained, it’s a BIG problem. Sometimes they can NOT be brought back to life. Other times you have to blast them with a surge of power from a 12V dumb car charger to bring them back to life (done that). So I would suggest whatever you do, do NOT let the battery ever get 100% fully discharged or you might be buying a new battery. I suspect that the MOVE probably has the ability to completely shut down (or even the battery) when it gets REALLY LOW - just to save itself.

That’s my 2 cents.