Move: Battery Drain Test

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

127 replies

I tried powering it down manually - the drain was definitely less noticeably but still happened. With it without powering it down manually, I found that my device also wouldn’t wake up without me manually turning it on first (i.e walk over and physically press the power button on the device) so it also defeats the purpose for having it enter sleep mode if it doesn’t activate from the app (especially with the power drain). 

Even went back and forth with Sonos customer support testing out different things.  I have those results in my email chain but basically it was disappointing results.  They didn’t offer any solutions and at the end; basically just said the device was operating as expected and there wasn’t anything wrong with it. 

All in it was disappointing and poor value given my usage so I returned the device for refund. I don’t recommend the product even if it was on sale. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Ryan S how do I tell the difference? Is there an amount of time or a chime or whatever which would make this clear? The app showed it as offline before I turned it on.

Userlevel 1

Battery life has been a BIG problem since I purchased the MOVE.  The convenience of the MOVE is great.  Sonos is a really really good system and fits our lifestyle very well.  

We have noticed all the things mentioned in this post.

. the MOVE for some odd reason turns itself on after we turned it off.  When it does this is seems to tell our main Amazon Echo device to stand down while the MOVE takes over household Alexa commands.  Again this happens randomly.

. the battery life when in use is not 10 hours, never has been.  More like 3-5 hours.

. our current situation w/ our new MOVE device is it won’t charge at all.  We put it in the cradle, the amber light notifies us that it indeed sees the charger, then does nothing.  We’ve had it in the oval charging ring for a week now and nothing.  It’s a paperweight.

This is what I get for buying version 1.0.  Knowing Sonos, they will solve these issues, I’m confident in that.  Meanwhile, the early adapters live with it.

Just recently purchased the Move but am experiencing the same issue here that many others are speaking to.  Just yesterday, charged up to 100%, used at midnight for about an hour and turned off.  By the evening, it was already down to 65%.

Userlevel 1

Surely if Alexa is switched on and permanently waiting to be woken up, that will reduce battery life.

Interested to know if you switch Alexa off, whether battery life is better or not ?

So, you didn’t read the post by the Sonos representative three posts above yours?

I did see that post Bruce but thought I’d just add my voice to the list of frustrated customers who are annoyed about these issues. 

Ah, you confused me with your statement of “if Sonos don’t offer some kind of explanation….”, which I thought Ryan did. 

In my experience, Sonos isn’t a perfect system, nor do I expect anything run by software to be bug free at all times. Over the years I’ve been a Sonos user, my experience has been that Sonos acknowledges when there is an issue, and rectifies it. Rarely as quickly as I want, but usually in line with my expectations as a project manager in a software distribution world. 

Sonos forum moderators have previously indicated that they read all posts, so I’m sure your unhappiness will be communicated to the appropriate people. 

I have been having the exact same issues.

I always turn my Move all the way off by holding in for 5-6 seconds until I get the power off tone. After 6+ days, the battery is practically dead. Not only that, but a quick press on the power button turns on the power light right away, as if it were in standby mode.

When I leave the Move on the charger, the battery obviously doesn’t drain, but even if I turn it off completely, I find that the power indicator is on some hours (<1 day) later.

This is unacceptable. The reasons we turn it off are to make sure it’s not listening and to make sure that the battery doesn’t drain (for instance, if we know we need to take it somewhere soon).

Please issue a firmware update that addresses this issue. It has been identified for quite some time now.

I would like to add me to the list of troubled and disappointed customers. I've been experiencing this exact same issue. Hope it will be fixed very soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

They say they have designed the battery chemistry so it doesn't get damaged when left on the charging base for long periods so I wonder if the discharge maybe a byproduct of that?.

I have just bought one for weekend use in the garden / shed so I'll just leave it sat on the base in between and not worry about it.

After looking for an alternative I decided I was cutting my nose off to spite my face not going for the Move and really glad I bought it, sounds excellent.

Just want to make a record that I’m having the same issue. I’m going to keep it for now and am trusting that Sonos will resolve the issue as they say it’s software related. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I bought as it was still a compelling purchase though it seems that I am likely to need to use it in a slightly different way than I planned to.  If Sonos resolve this issue then I wonder if it will be acheived by a software update so all existing units are fixed or by a hardware change.  Given there is no update from Sonos on this + there is a strong second hand market and 100 off I decided on balance to take the plunge and purchase now.

I received my MOVE last week. Charged battery to 100% day one and tested speaker in both wifi and bluetooth modes. Great sound. I was very happy with the purchase…. BUT, battery drained over 4 days to zero. when in complete power off mode. Went to use after 4 days and had to leave in charger to charge up to 100% for 1 hr plus in order to take outdoors for off line use…. aggravating and not up to the anticipated quality of Sonos.

I have reviewed all the posts but have yet to see an official response from Sonos that they are both aware of the issue and are investigating corrective action.

The speaker should perform as well as other devices that use batteries such as Iphone etc. The 11 hrs is a joke for advertising. Plan on 5-6 hours, which, while not bad is ½ of the advertised ….. C’mon Sonos you are better than this.. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Just registering my interest in this as I’d like to get a Move but not with the sort of battery discharge being reported. If I get one, it will be for the bathroom and will be powered off for a week probably between each use as I’d only use it when in the bath and not when having a shower.

Hi All

my Move is four weeks old. Used it in the garden for a few days initially and then left it ‘off’ for a couple of weeks and went to use it again yesterday. 
discovered no battery left and spent the evening trying to understand why that was. 
I seem to have the same problem as everyone in this thread - battery level drops rapidly, even when not is use/turns on when opening the App etc. 
have a lot of other Sonos products which I love so am very disappointed with this issue. 
Move sounds good and is expensive - I paid for sound quality and battery life but am not getting the latter. 

They say they have designed the battery chemistry so it doesn't get damaged when left on the charging base for long periods so I wonder if the discharge maybe a byproduct of that?.

I have just bought one for weekend use in the garden / shed so I'll just leave it sat on the base in between and not worry about it.

After looking for an alternative I decided I was cutting my nose off to spite my face not going for the Move and really glad I bought it, sounds excellent.

I leave the ‘Move’ on its charger-loop in the house most days (and nights) and it’s been fine… I have had it since they were first released and the battery still lasts all day whilst off it’s charger and playing when taken outdoors …and I agree the ‘Move’ is a great sounding speaker.👍

It’s been over a year and STILL no defintive answer as to why the MOVE’s battery drains ridiculously fast?  If I had read this thread a week ago before I purchased I doubt I would have bought it.  Just like everyone else, I was shocked to see my MOVE going from full charge to half dead after not using it for 3 days.  That’s absolutely ridiculous for a $400 device.  And while I realize that this is beyond their control,  the customer service replies in this thread are still insulting at this point. Telling customers to basically “reboot” their MOVEs is a pathetic panacea. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I leave the ‘Move’ on its charger-loop in the house most days (and nights) and it’s been fine… I have had it since they were first released and the battery still lasts all day whilst off it’s charger and playing when taken outdoors …and I agree the ‘Move’ is a great sounding speaker.👍

Good to know!, it seems that was how they designed it to be used.

Sounds like I've made the right choice with the Move.

Ok as mentioned above, off its charger I powered off my ‘Move’ two days ago and have just powered it back on after a 48 hour period, it lost 7% battery in that time. I find that acceptable for a lithium-ion battery.

Just returned mine to SONOS since it is still in the window. If they sort it out, I’ll reconsider.

I am as aggravated as anyone over this entirely unacceptable battery drain.  Fact is that they are selling every one they can make, and their stock price is up 80% over the past 6 months.  Putting out bad products will catch up to them at some point but for now don’t hold your breath for anything to happen.

Received the Move 2 week a ago and i wish I had seen this trend. I will tell everyone NOT to buy this product. Battery shelf life is way too low and when in use can last 3-4h, so far away from what sonos claims. I think a lawsuit is justified, any lawyer out there to help all of us??

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Day 4 results 81% remaining - I didn’t get a chance to use the Move yesterday due to rain so have some results.  Nothing much to say - its seems to be losing ~5% a night while supposedly completely off.

I have never observed it turn on on its owns but that is a fairly bad self-discharge rate.  I hope this is a bug and not as designed as I do want to use this for car camping/RVing and might stowe it off charger while travelling to campsites.

This was from a new Move I took delivery of June 5th so the battery shouldn’t be aged.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

10 days for the Roam on standby.

Thats certainly better than the Move on standby but the issue is when the speaker is completely off its still draining.  

Standy its still reachable in app, etc…  so needs to maintain connection to wifi…  understandable that power is still used but a hard off should drain little power while off.  

The issue with the move is that it still discharges quite a bit while  completely off and not in standby.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

10 days for the Roam on standby.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I confirm @buddyrich33 observation that, in “hard” power-down mode, the Move loses about 5% of charge per day, when in Wi-Fi mode, running under S1, with the mic disabled.  I updated to the latest S1 release and checked again, and it vacillated between 4% and 5%.  It’s possible that the software had some minor change, but just as likely estimation of charge-remaining based upon voltage across the terminals is approximation...

By contrast, a Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 1 loses only about 1% of charge per day.  Different battery sizes, different prices(!), bla bla bla, but it’s the only equivalent speaker I know of: Bluetooth mode as well as Wi-Fi mode, multi-room playback sync/join, Google Voice Assistant, and an iOS app to control it, with playback from both local library and streaming services.

Clearly “hard” power-down is not “full” power-down -- the Move is doing *something* -- much more than an idle BeoSound 1, and more even than the iOS device controlling them!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there an update from Sonos on this issue? Does this problem exist for a small subset of Move or is every unit affected the same way? I’m considering returning my unit as I find it unacceptable at the price point Sonos positions itself.