End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

SONOS, set the controls for the Heart of the Sun :frowning2:

Userlevel 2
Badge

I guess we’ve gotta be careful that they don’t go down the pan because we want a few more years out of our current ‘non-legacy’ kit...chance to save those hard earned pennies for alternative kit...but hey aren’t we all the more savvy for our next tech purchase!

You bet!

Userlevel 3
Badge

200 posts in 2 days and 74000 views.

They can’t help but hear.

Userlevel 2

I have emailed Jeff Bezos suggesting that Amazon buy them for a song, the patents alone would make it worthwhile.

Userlevel 2

I love my Sonos system, I’ve had it for years and was about to buy an extra unit for my bedroom - not now.

Like a lot of folks on this thread i bought my system as a high end system (which is what it was marketed as) for digitizing my extensive CD collection. I’m not interested in subscription music services and never will be. I want a reliable good quality system to run high quality music from a NAS. I deliberated for a long time and eventually bought Sonos on the recommendations from Sonos community users and never regretted it. Multi-room was a very welcome bonus that i love, dare i say it feels indispensable. However now i’m thinking… why didn’t i bite the bullet and buy a Cyrus!

If i buy relatively expensive audio equipment i don’t expect to get held to hostage after i have purchased the system. I expect it to do what it says on the tin, and what it was promised to do, until it breaks.

I can understand that there may potentially be issues running old sonos kit with new, but i don’t see that they would be insurmountable, and i don’t see why they can’t keep legacy systems so they continue to do what they have been doing for years - it’s a steady state system.

As others have said, it smacks of cynical attempt to drive sales. I fail to see how anyone with a brain cell would think the 30% discount would tempt sonos stalwarts to fork out their hard earned cash to replace legacy hardware… only to face the same situation in 5 years time. Do they really think we are that stupid?

The final straw is Sonos bricking perfectly good hardware - about as un-environmentally friendly as you can get.

It breaks my heart, and will be a pain in the arse for me but i will be switching. I will be doing my homework on network music players (aka CambridgeAudio) and look for separate multi-room solutions.

So congrats Sonos, rather then me spending my money on more Sonos kit, you’ve pushed me into the arms of your rivals.

I’d suggest moving on pragmatically like a number here have decided to. No longer recommend Sonos to others. Continue to use your system as a legacy system; if you are not interested in streaming services, you’re unlikely to be affected by using a legacy system in any way. If you’d like to expand your system, don’t buy new product, buy additional used-market units that are also legacy and thus extremely inexpensive comparatively. (Case in point: I just got a gen-1 Play5 for 100 USD following this mess). You (we) ought to be fine for years, provided Sonos doesn’t completely go under - that is the true risk in all of this. But even that is remote; I suspect they’d be acquired by another company before shuttered entirely. At any rate, I’m just going to pay attention to what’s happening, and carry on as usual, not being bothered by missing future software updates (which, to be frank, have offered me nothing in several years, except occasional system instability).

Stupid question and i am not at home to check (i may have my system set to auto-updates) but i have never knowingly updated my system for years, i run it mainly from my PC and my CR100 still works…. I am in a parallel update free universe? I can’t even remember registering my products it was so long ago i bought them, i assume i did but it will be to some email i no longer use... [i just created this account to vent my anger 🙂 ]

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Good thing Nicholas Millington, Chief Product Officer, sold 30% of his shares on January 2nd for $500,000.00 before the share price started going down.  Shrewd trader that Nicholas :wink: .

http://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001314727/5e4c0a01-abfa-4ea8-bf30-6a97f31fb24d.pdf

Where i come from, that is called insider trading.

Maybe its the same in the US….have you tried alerting the authorities ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

which seems like a stupid move.

I’m just speculating here, but you don’t run a multi million dollar company do you?  Would you like to? :grin:

I have run a company like the one you describe.   And I agree with Madsen - it’s a stupid move. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I sent the below to the CEO

Hi Patrick

You must be getting overwhelmed by these emails. A couple of things struck me when reading your announcements.  

You may or may not be actually vulnerable to the whims of your streaming service providers’ API updates. But the message you sent out suggests that you are. If a software change on their side of things renders your products useless, then you are highlighting a giant risk to your business model. Is that factual?  If not, why pose that doubt?  Highlighting your vulnerability to Spotify software changes is bad optics if not true. If it is true, the message should be to rally your customer base to address the idiot move on THEIR part. 

Second thing I thought was that you know exactly what is coming, and after the backlash, you’ve proposed the bizarre idea of a split system in order to address it. Why suggest a solution that is so antithetical to what you do?  You wouldn’t suggest something so bizarre without knowing what the problem is that is headed our way. 

Hiding the ball never turns out well. When the time comes for you to unveil what you know to be on the way, all this posturing, the vagaries, the apologies will come into focus, and the disingenuous messaging will be laid bare. 

I understand your challenge of staying steps ahead of the competition. You have shareholders to consider, and the google wolves are at the door. I imagine these changes are an effort to do just that, and likely to integrate the voice recognition start up you acquired.  

Your advantage over these other services is twofold. One is you have excellent hardware. Second is your customer loyalty. So the decision was to threaten your customer loyalty by pointing out their hardware is not viable?  You’ve shot your left AND your right foot! 

FYI, I have 14 devices over 2 homes. They all work just fine.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

And so it begins

retailers-move-to-dump-sonos

Sounds like Sonos is indeed under pressure - and combined with having an unhealthy tone towards their partners and a technological base that is not modern, they have now begun doing such absurd things like we have seen recently. Certainly a sign of desperation from a company that doesn’t know what to do.

Count me in as yet another bitterly disappointed ten year Sonos customer. I have nothing new to add to all of the comments above other than to add my name and voice to the host of angry customer

AND YES-- I AM GOING TO TEXT SCREAM FOR JUST ONE MOMENT

I initially purchased Sonos because I thought it represented cutting edge technology at a (premium) price but also with strong customer support. 

Over the years -- like so many others, I have bought over ten units and was going to invest in the sound bar 

But not anymore-- this idea of planned obsolescence is horrible 

not sonos 

not anymore

Userlevel 2

The wifi-mesh network created by the modern and legacy Sonos devices hasn’t changed. The hardware is physically capable of talking to each other. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t offer to leave legacy devices in a “slave” mode so that they can receive audio data from modern devices that can receive the latest streams and (in the case of my Sonos 5 that sends the TV audio out) allow legacy devices to send audio streams out to the Sonos network. It doesn’t matter if my Sonos 5 has the latest features as long as it is connected to one modern device that does have them, it should be able to receive the audio data and playback. You already proved this with Airplay where I only need one Airplay compatible device in my network to send the audio stream to all my “legacy” Sonos devices.

The only explanation I can see is greed by borking old equipment.  And “splitting” my legacy and modern equipment into two separate networks is NOT an acceptable solution. I bought the system to play whole house music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m just speculating here, but you don’t run a multi million dollar company do you?  Would you like to? :grin:

Well right now, it seems that even though i am not particularily clever, i could have foreseen these things BEFORE they went public, so atleast it seems that i am smarter than the people that decided this was a good idea.

OR there is some hidden motive that i dont know of.

Feels a little bit like that time, the city planners in my city decided that a particular road had to much traffic, so they closed it off for cars, and then immideately got surprised when the amount of traffic on the roads near to this road, suddenly saw a sharp spike in traffic.

I mean, even a 5 year old would be able to understand that just because they decided to shut down a road, people were still needing to get from point A to B and would just find other ways of getting there :)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Good thing Nicholas Millington, Chief Product Officer, sold 30% of his shares on January 2nd for $500,000.00 before the share price started going down.  Shrewd trader that Nicholas :wink: .

http://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001314727/5e4c0a01-abfa-4ea8-bf30-6a97f31fb24d.pdf

Where i come from, that is called insider trading.

Maybe its the same in the US….have you tried alerting the authorities ?

On to it...but hey if they’re deluged it may move up the priority list...

Userlevel 2

Exactly my setup - for use with the phonograph. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Why are you still selling obsolete products that will not be supported after May? Not a word about this on the Connect UK product page.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/connect.html

Wow, can’t find those anymore in the US, yet I had heard that these are really ZP90’s with updated components and that support will sometimes trade these for failing older units if still under warranty.  Looks like they might be a bit confused in Santa Barbara as this trusty old product (bricked a few years ago by Sonos through an innocent looking update) shows as still a MODERN PRODUCT. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I sent Patrick, CEO, a follow up Email with follow up questions. I am including the response.  They obviously are not reading email, since they referred me to the email I had follow up questions  

man this company is all in with the blinders.

no credibility  no customer service  no customer loyalty  

Hello Richard,

My name is Andrew, and I'm a member of the Customer Experience Team here at Sonos. Our CEO, Patrick Spence, let me know you had some concerns about our recent End of Software Updates announcement.

Patrick recently sent a follow-up email to all affected customers, which I believe should address your questions and feedback. If you haven’t seen it, you can view a copy on our website at https://blog.sonos.com/en/a-letter-from-our-ceo

As mentioned in the letter above, all Sonos products will continue to work after May and our Trade-Up program is completely optional. You can find additional information about this announcement here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786 

If you have any other questions I can help answer, please let me know by replying to this email and I will be happy to assist.

Cheers,
______
Andrew K

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Okay, everyone is venting their anger which is normal.

But can we for a second talk about what options us “legacy” users have after May.

We actually listen to the same, maybe 5 streaming radio channels. Today via Tunein Radio in our house when we dont stream music from our NAS.

Lets say that TuneIn changes something, making me unable to connect to the radio channels because sonos legacy devices can not decipher them.

I was thinking...What if i had another device that could receive the channels, recode them to some format Sonos legacy still supports and the re-cast them.

I dont know if a Raspberry pi would have enough processor power to do this, but there is an option in Sonos “Add radio station” so if i could get the Pi to receive the station, recode it and retransmit it, i would be able to stream radio channels to legacy devices for as long as the program on the PI was updated.

Alternatively i have a QNAP NAS that is always on, is there some app on this, that would be able to do this.

Userlevel 3
Badge

( initial email copied below)

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the response.

I did see that email, unfortunately, it states nothing different than was initially announced.

It does not address the majority of your legacy (oldest) customers' dismay of a fractured"whole home" audio system. In fact, it reaffirms our worst fear of your commitment to breaking them... "eventually", as you say. While you say the "upgrade" program is "voluntary", you are certainly taking every action to make that untrue.

Not only has this decision blindsided your oldest and most loyal customers, it has seemingly disregarded our investments without consideration of alternative (and/or less costly) solutions that are not as devastating to our systems. Honestly, we don't know this because we've received little to no actual info regarding these new features or services that will cause such irreparable damage or the workaround.

The fact that we are still being told to wait until May for more info, and that Mr. Spence said "We got this wrong" but proceeded to simply rehash the verbiage of the original scheme, shows that we are still on this path to mutually assured destruction.

Personally, I feel my trust in your company has been betrayed, then my intelligence insulted, and I am (still) no longer planning to purchase additional Sonos products unless a more amicable solution is presented. Proceeding with your plan to delete my $500 speaker from a singular, unfragmented, unsplit, secure, properly working system is unacceptable.

I truly want your company to succeed, but that should not come at the disregard of your earliest adopters and (formerly) most fervent supporters. Honestly, take a look at the rapidly growing thread on your website and see - a high percentage of those participating are long time customers, many with far more extensive systems than mine: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-support-clarifications-6835969 (P.S. - There are lots of good ideas for workarounds in there)

I sincerely hope that Sonos can deliver a better solution than we have at this time.

From,

Steve K

On Jan 24, 2020, at 10:30 AM, Sonos Support <support@sonos.com> wrote:

Sonos logo  
pattern

Hello Steve,

My name is Andrew, and I'm a member of the Customer Experience Team here at Sonos. Our CEO, Patrick Spence, let me know you had some concerns about our recent End of Software Updates announcement.

Patrick recently sent a follow-up email to all affected customers, which I believe should address your questions and feedback. If you haven’t seen it, you can view a copy on our website at https://blog.sonos.com/en/a-letter-from-our-ceo

As mentioned in the letter above, all Sonos products will continue to work after May and our Trade-Up program is completely optional. You can find additional information about this announcement here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786 

If you have any other questions I can help answer, please let me know by replying to this email and I will be happy to assist.

Cheers,
______
Andrew K
Sonos   |   Supervisor   |   Customer Care   |   Contact Us
Ask questions, find answers, and share your thoughts on the Sonos Community.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

from july 2018 https://www.channelnews.com.au/exclusive-we-lift-the-lid-on-whats-really-inside-the-sonos-one-what-it-means-for-the-sonos-ipo/

they show a traditional speaker manufacturer incrementally adding technology in an attempt to keep up with a fast-moving race. This is never a winning strategy in the long term

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Waste of time to express my complete distain and feeling of betrayal after spending thousands on what will soon be garbage , but here it is. There’s nothing I can do but to hope the worst for Sonos as it gets pushed out by companies now producing better products at lower prices.

I sincerely hope that your company soon ends up in the same garbage heap as your products.

Shame. shame, shame on you.

Gotta admit I’ve seen a fair few posts like this and while I’m mad at Sonos at getting this so wrong I do want them to turn this around, ongoing support for any and all of their products depends on this - Sonos failing completely would be worse that what is proposed. 

While stupidly they are giving many people a good reason to go out and replace their Sonos kit overnight,  I honestly don’t think any of their rivals offering comparative products have supported them as long, I doubt those lower priced products will still be supported in 5 years from sale. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Financial history is full of clueless CEOs who ran companies into the ground. A lot of these people get jobs based on who they know. I doubt RIMMs track record was the selling point. A company can survive and even thrive under bold leadership as well as stupid leadership, but if leadership has both traits the company is often screwed. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I have play 5 (2nd gen) & a play 3.

Didn’t think a £500 speaker or any speakers come to that, could potentially become defunct because it can’t handle the updates .

its a speaker, not a space rocket.. please!!!

Although non of this affects my speakers at the moment, the situation has immensely disappointed me.

Very unlikely I’ll be adding any more Sonos speakers to my two, unless there’s a satisfactory conclusion to all this .

Even then , no confidence even if they don’t do it now, they won’t do it later.

Strikes me as a red hearing to try to force customers to prematurely upgrade.

Ridiculous

Okay, everyone is venting their anger which is normal.

But can we for a second talk about what options us “legacy” users have after May.

We actually listen to the same, maybe 5 streaming radio channels. Today via Tunein Radio in our house when we dont stream music from our NAS.

Lets say that TuneIn changes something, making me unable to connect to the radio channels because sonos legacy devices can not decipher them.

I was thinking...What if i had another device that could receive the channels, recode them to some format Sonos legacy still supports and the re-cast them.

I dont know if a Raspberry pi would have enough processor power to do this, but there is an option in Sonos “Add radio station” so if i could get the Pi to receive the station, recode it and retransmit it, i would be able to stream radio channels to legacy devices for as long as the program on the PI was updated.

Alternatively i have a QNAP NAS that is always on, is there some app on this, that would be able to do this.

Have a look at this:

Add Aux to Sonos Using Raspberry Pi

:sunglasses:

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

So my Connect:Amp that I bought in 2017 is End Of Life.  A tough pill to swallow. Only %30 off to replace a perfectly functioning amp with the newer model is a tougher pill to swallow.  But the Sonos Amp has been out for what, a year now? What if they come out with the next generation of Amp soon? Yay, I’m guaranteed updates for 5 years from when it gets discontinued - that is actually very nice.  But if I had waited a bit and got the next one I’d be guaranteed a considerable amount more years in updates.  

Anyone that buys Apple products should be familiar with MacRumors’ “Mac Buyer’s Guide” that lets you know if you should buy a certain Apple product based on typical product lifecycle. 

Now we’ll need a “Sonos Buyer’s Guide”.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have a look at this:

Add Aux to Sonos Using Raspberry Pi

:sunglasses:

I know icecast, but this is a way to create one streaming channel using a Raspberry Pi, taking an AUX input as source.

What i want to do is futureproof my sonos legacy setup so when tunein changes encoding format and i can not stream directly i want the Pi to be a “format re-encoder and retransmitter”

Kind of like a program that takes a JPG file and transforms it into a PNG

Simple interface

Source stream →

Destination Stream format →

And then i just input “http://192.168.1.100:5000” for station one, “http://192.168.1.100:5001” for station two and so on into “add radio station” in the sonos app