End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I hope management at Sonos isn’t so arrogant and short-sighted as to think that just because this forum has died down that everything is super-duper.  

These forums are great, useful, and a microcosm of Sonos customers but by no means representative.  Likely a very small percentage of Sonos users actually know it even exists, let alone use this vehicle.  

Judging from friends, family, resellers, and others I/we’ve communicated with in the last week, this is far from over in terms of the anger, disappointment, lost trust, and general confusion Sonos has generated with their current and recent decisions.  

The old saw that only 1% of the customers you tick-off will bother to complain to the company while 99% will just walk – is only amplified with social media, reseller review sites, and more.   And we have yet to hear from long-lead publications like Wired, Consumer Reports, environmental & audio publications/editorials, and more.   Younger potential target customers are savvy social media users and will likely not pay premium prices for audio gear that has a pull-date. 

Because Sonos’ CEO has gone silent since his correction letter (he nor his staff have responded to any of the emails my friends and family have sent) it only pours salt into the wound.  

As for the PR plants and super-fans who swoop in here whenever they need to defend Sonos no matter how insulting and unemphatic it might be to the consumers impacted by this corporate decision… you know who you are and so do many of us. 

Your turn Mr. Spence. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

At the risk of being repetitive,  when you buy an expensive system,  you expect that, if you prefer,  you can keep that original configuration as long as you like in working condition.  When I chose to upgrade it was because I wanted to,  not because my old system life was being cut short by the manufacturer’s built in design obsolescence.  Sonos offer of support for as “long as possible”  doesn't cut it.  It isn’t going to be any more comforting for anyone to know that their equipment might continue to operate for a long period when there is a very real possibility it’s functionality also might be lost in a few months. Functionality of the system at any equipment age should not be affected if the customer does not wish to progress to the next technological level.

Look, we all recognize technology does evolve over time. However,  Sonos does bear responsibility for having some foresight if they are to be considered forerunners in the field. When a product is designed,  there has to be forays into the unknown,  or else there would be no technological advancement.   The areas that were most vulnerable to change should have been isolated into a single component that would be subject to change, and then,  only if the customer so desired. When Sonos designed their products, they should have foreseen the customer problems that are now consuming their business.

So the company should be judged by it’s ability to understand what the possible consequences of their actions are,  and how successful they were in dealing with them.  That’s what makes them stand or fall by the wayside.

Any excuses are just that,  excuses.  This thread has produced many ideas,  I assume some workable,  some not.  But don’t think for one minute the engineers at Sonos can’t up up with a workable solution.  You guys don’t have to come up with one for them.

Thanks for mentioning Bluesound. I hadn’t heard of them. If my streaming music services become deprecated come May, I will be switching all my equipment over to Bluesound rather than “upgrading”. It looks like the price is a little higher for similar products, but it will likely be a lot less expensive in the long run considering the Sonos components are only guaranteed to be supported for 5 years.

I have Bluesound as well as Sonos. Really good gear but I would’d expect any different. They said on their forum that they didn’t have any “Sunset” plans for their first Node that was released in 2012 at the moment but, that is 8 years after the release of the first connects (zp80) that has just been changed to legacy. 

If you are to learn anything from this, look for ways of spreading the risk rather than jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Think Airplay 2 and it’s ability to allow speakers / amps from different manufactures to link together and possibly controlling them via Roon. I’d be concerned that you’d sell all your Sonos for Bluesound and in 8 -10 years time you could be in the same boat again.

That said, I do love my Node 2i and has great sound quality.

I get it, but I do need/want something dead simple to set up and run. I do not want to spend time troubleshooting. I also need something that has a good user interface. I am not looking to patch things together (that's what I have Smartthings, Alexa, Lutron, Hubitat, Hue, MyQ, iAqualink, Logitech, Rachio, Ecobee, etc for). So, without someone stepping forward and committing to a lengthy (5 years is not lengthy) period to continued service, I’ll go with the company that hasn’t screwed its customers over (yet?). Yes, perhaps Bluesound will too, but I won’t feel quite as chagrined as I would if I replaced my 20 Connect Amps and 3 Connects with Amps and Ports and 3 years down the line (the Amp was introduced 2 years ago, so Sonos has only committed to keeping updates going for another 3 years) my streaming music services stop working. Fool me once and all….

I expect you are referring to me, amongst others, although I  don't believe there are any 'PR plants' 

Clearly it is unacceptable to hold the view that amongst the genuine anger and disappointment on this thread, there is also much misinformation,  ludicrous conspiracy theories and misreading of the situation.  

I have many friends with Sonos systems too. We are most of us affected by the announcement to some degree.  We don't like it but we understand it.

I am fortunate to have only one legacy item. I understand that some users face a much bigger issue.  But I am entitled not to agree with the view that Sonos is the devil incorporate.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I expect you are referring to me, amongst others, although I  don't believe there are any 'PR plants' 

Clearly it is unacceptable to hold the view that amongst the genuine anger and disappointment on this thread, there is also much misinformation,  ludicrous conspiracy theories and misreading of the situation.  

I have many friends with Sonos systems too. We are most of us affected by the announcement to some degree.  We don't like it but we understand it.

I am fortunate to have only one legacy item. I understand that some users face a much bigger issue.  But I am entitled not to agree with the view that Sonos is the devil incorporate.

Agree. I’m no cheerleader for Sonos, I will be continuing adding new equipment from other sources but that won’t stop me from buying Sonos where appropriate. I’m not about to cut off my nose to spit my face. That would be illogical. I’ll be upgrading my office Bluesound that is connected to a supernait 2 and that for sure won’t be Sonos, most likely be a ND5 XS 2 or an NDX 2 if I can get a good price.

But for the TV, I was happy to upgrade a connect for a Beam… does the job very well indeed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I for one haven’t said or suggested “that Sonos is the devil incorporate” or indeed anything similar.

I am only trying to offer positive suggestions for how this issue could have been averted or solved.

I really object to the suggestion that someone like myself offering an alternative viewpoint is saying something like that.

Ahh… I see this wasn’t me you were referring to - sorry. That said I still don’t think its the right way to speak about other people’s viewpoints

There is very little misinformation. lots of speculation but Sonos only have themselves to blame and could kill the speculating by providing more information which they choose not to do. 

If you don't like being called a shill don't call posters opinion misinformation and platitudes like "but me and my friends understand" implying we don't. Post what you want but just as you are free to do so, we are free to post ours. If it walks like a duck it's a duck even if not officially on the payroll. 

Not 'officially' on the payroll? And please don't accuse me of saying 'me and my friends understand'. I have never said or written anything as grammatically incorrect as that in my life.

So OK,  I'll leave you now to fume away amongst yourselves for the next few months.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I don't believe that Sonos is "the devil incarnate". Only that Sonos wants to move forward with something like a five year life cycle for their products.  If that is the business model that they want to support it will turn off a lot of customers. If they hold firmly to this view I do not want to buy their products.  But they claim it is due to technical limitations that can't be resolved when there are many threads showing it could be done if the company wanted to continue with their old strategy of long lifespan and add one piece at a time.  Ultimately if they really want this five year model then they will align their products with this business model.  We see companies do this all the time.  And software with live updates makes this very easy to do.  As soon as someone comes up with a way to significantly extend that lifespan, they will get the developers to cripple that ability.  They wont announce it but they wont want customers to be able to defeat the model.  So demonstrate as a company that you are recommitting to the old model and i am happy.  Easiest solution is a legacy bridge.  Continue to commit to a five year product life and i will go elsewhere.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

As someone who bought into Sonos a long time ago because I viewed them as a leader in the field of multi-room audio the more I think about it the more I have to come to the conclusion that their best days are behind them. They have yet to provide a single reason why maintaining a single multi-room system is not feasible. There have been many people questioning the ability to do this and even displaying a willingness to purchase additional equipment if that helps in making it happen.

Sonos’ apparent unwillingness to actually sell an additional product that would actually make their longtime customers satisfied makes me wonder if they are capable of doing it, and if they continue to be the innovative company I thought they were. 

I find it amazing that they can’t solve this problem when they hold all the cards. They don’t need to maintain connectivity with hardware made by other manufacturers, or even different versions of the firmware. They just need to CONTINUE to provide different functionality based on the particular hardware as they do today (e.g. Boost doesn’t need to actually play any music, Sub can’t be used as a stand alone speaker. 

If they can’t solve this then I don’t believe they will be able to solve any potential future challenges. Solving challenges is what market leaders do. They are first because they were able to find a way to do something that their competition couldn’t or wouldn’t do.

@patbla: companies, like people, get satisfied, then complacent, then old and tired. Unlike people, they can be bought, but like people, can also die.

We got the PR guy now Sonos moderators deleting posts hoping no one would notice.

With thousandsof critical posts here you guys need a different strategy. Instead of rope a doping us until May let's get on with the bad news.

I have a beam with 4 play:1, grouping rooms already doesn't work today! 

Buying Sonos was a poor choice, I will opt for some major serious brand like Bose or Sony.

Selling my Sonos garbage will be difficult...

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Update 2/22: A message from our CEO

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

I am yet another SONOS fan that is no longer investing nor recommending your products. It's NOT ethic to charge as much as you charge and not having continuity of service after just a few years into the product. Fair enough technology is evolving very fast and things change. But these are not Dollar Shop products. You should have planned this way before. Now it just seems it was indeed planned and you thought customers would just bite the bullet. I will not.

What really upsets me is your initial decision on the use of old and new products. It tells how much you care about customers: NOTHING. Now you react with a patch. For me what counts is first thought ... and it was not us ... your customers / fans / Brand Ambassadors.

At least I have LINE-in so I will be able to keep using them as far too expensive regular speakers ... but WILL NOT BUY SONOS AGAIN. 

Going forward, I would suggest you plan for these issues or SONOS future might be quite dark. There are quite a few options ... just ask your customers.

In a nutshell... too late and too little.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

There is very little misinformation. lots of speculation but Sonos only have themselves to blame and could kill the speculating by providing more information which they choose not to do. 

If you don't like being called a shill don't call posters opinion misinformation and platitudes like "but me and my friends understand" implying we don't. Post what you want but just as you are free to do so, we are free to post ours. If it walks like a duck it's a duck even if not officially on the payroll. 

Do you have shares in Sonos!

Just as Sonos have declared my Play 5 Gen 1 to be legacy, and hence my connected system no longer subject to upgrades. I have, reluctantly, taken the same strategy to my entire Sonos system. It is now legacy and will not be subject to HARDWARE upgrades. Thanks for the ride. I’ll gradually offload it and replace it with Naim instead. 

Userlevel 2
Badge
Thu 1/30/2020 16:32  Have we solved your issue? Sonos Support <support@sonos.com>; Cc: nathan.strong@sonos.com; patrick.spence@sonos.com;  

No! you have not solved my issue at all.

You are intending to brick my CR200 controllers with no way for me to upgrade the controllers or stop the brick/recycle process – this is simply not fair!

I’ve been loyal customer since 2006 and spent lots of money on my system.  I recycled these controllers by accident believing my new stuff would not work unless I recycled as you said in your memo.  Then you changed your mind and said legacy products would continue as is after May, however you are now saying you are unable to stop the recycling – this leaves me with nothing, repeat nothing  – no controller, no upgrades for these controllers.

I don’t want money, I want fairness, user loyalty and to have my old system back.  Do not kill my controllers.

I suspect what you are doing in this instance is probably illegal and suggest you kick it upstairs to executive management before the class action suits start rolling in. 

Sonos,

Can you please provide some clarification about the Sonos Play 1 first generation speakers I bought brand new from Costco one month ago.  Your CEO’s email indicated that full software support would continue for 5 years after a product has been discontinued (paraphrased).  I would expect that this product, even though no longer available from Sonos.com, would receive that same level of full support when purchased at any of your licensed suppliers, like Costco, Sam’s Club, etc... 

I've now asked this question THREE times in three separate forums. Sonos has yet to respond.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Sonos,

Can you please provide some clarification about the Sonos Play 1 first generation speakers I bought brand new from Costco one month ago.  Your CEO’s email indicated that full software support would continue for 5 years after a product has been discontinued (paraphrased).  I would expect that this product, even though no longer available from Sonos.com, would receive that same level of full support when purchased at any of your licensed suppliers, like Costco, Sam’s Club, etc... 

I've now asked this question THREE times in three separate forums. Sonos has yet to respond.

ptomberg you need to address your question to Ryan

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sonos,

I don’t want to speak for Ryan or Sonos but I’m pretty sure Ryan has clearly defined somewhere in this massive thread that it’s 5 years from when Sonos stop selling them. Not when stock runs out at third parties.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Sonos,

I don’t want to speak for Ryan or Sonos but I’m pretty sure Ryan has clearly defined somewhere in this massive thread that it’s 5 years from when Sonos stop selling them. Not when stock runs out at third parties.

It’s been said several times across this thread and others, but I’m happy to share again. We’re committed to providing software updates for a minimum of 5 years after we no longer sell the product, but our track record is much longer than that. The devices that are moving to legacy in May are ones that were designed at least a decade ago, some over 16 years. 

We got the PR guy now Sonos moderators deleting posts hoping no one would notice.

With thousandsof critical posts here you guys need a different strategy. Instead of rope a doping us until May let's get on with the bad news.

@Jeffrey_G we only delete posts that are breaking the terms of service on the community. Foul language, personal attacks, and the like at not allowed on this platform. We welcome people to join the conversation and share their feedback here, and won’t delete anything simply because it’s negative. You’re post was attacking another user, and so it was removed from the thread. Please try to stay friendly with other users.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Sonos,

Probably best to return the Play 1 to Costco and inform the manager of the situation so that they can pull and return their stock to Sonos. This may begin a loss-of-sales cascade that will result in faster action to address the issue. I’m guessing that Costco is unaware that they are selling ‘legacy’ SONOS devices as new/current speakers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi Ryan, can you please provide this forum (and possibly an entire new thread) listing when Sonos stopped selling each component? 

It’s really difficult to tell as your online store has no way to look at older products. 

We really need some kind of matrix that shows when Amps, Connects, Speakers where built and when the memory increases were slip-streamed into similar looking products to tell if they’re Modern or Legacy.  

Also helpful would be a way to ping our equipment to tell how much memory each one has.  While the link in the “End of Support” letter has a way for customer to tell if they currently have Modern or Legacy equipment, that’s NOT useful for folks who want to sell/buy Sonos products from resellers, eBay and more.  I suggested this in this and other threads and nothing yet from Sonos. 

I think it would help a lot of folks.  Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Probably best to return the Play 1 to Costco and inform the manager of the situation so that they can pull and return their stock to Sonos. This may begin a loss-of-sales cascade that will result in faster action to address the issue. I’m guessing that Costco is unaware that they are selling ‘legacy’ SONOS devices as new/current speakers.

They aren’t selling legacy Sonos devices as new. The Play:1 is a modern Sonos device, fully supported and updating with the other devices you could buy in stores today. No legacy devices are still sold in stores.

@kassey22000, I’ll look into that, but I’m not sure if there’s a specific list that I can grab to publish. I know I’ve seen another thread from someone (I thought you) which had all of the ways to identify if the device was updated or not. The memory change on the Connect and Connect:Amp happened along with the physical changes to the outside. So the easy spot is if it has a play/pause button, instead of a mute button, it should be one of those updated versions.

At the risk of being repetitive,  when you buy an expensive system,  you expect that, if you prefer,  you can keep that original configuration as long as you like in working condition.  When I chose to upgrade it was because I wanted to,  not because my old system life was being cut short by the manufacturer’s built in design obsolescence.  Sonos offer of support for as “long as possible”  doesn't cut it.  It isn’t going to be any more comforting for anyone to know that their equipment might continue to operate for a long period when there is a very real possibility it’s functionality also might be lost in a few months. Functionality of the system at any equipment age should not be affected if the customer does not wish to progress to the next technological level.

Look, we all recognize technology does evolve over time. However,  Sonos does bear responsibility for having some foresight if they are to be considered forerunners in the field. When a product is designed,  there has to be forays into the unknown,  or else there would be no technological advancement.   The areas that were most vulnerable to change should have been isolated into a single component that would be subject to change, and then,  only if the customer so desired. When Sonos designed their products, they should have foreseen the customer problems that are now consuming their business.

So the company should be judged by it’s ability to understand what the possible consequences of their actions are,  and how successful they were in dealing with them.  That’s what makes them stand or fall by the wayside.

Any excuses are just that,  excuses.  This thread has produced many ideas,  I assume some workable,  some not.  But don’t think for one minute the engineers at Sonos can’t up up with a workable solution.  You guys don’t have to come up with one for them.

Thanks for mentioning Bluesound. I hadn’t heard of them. If my streaming music services become deprecated come May, I will be switching all my equipment over to Bluesound rather than “upgrading”. It looks like the price is a little higher for similar products, but it will likely be a lot less expensive in the long run considering the Sonos components are only guaranteed to be supported for 5 years.

I too have a Bluesound (Node 2i) as of fairly recently (as described somewhere deep in this thread https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/the-sonos-brexit-and-pragmatic-ways-past-it-6836056 ) and I’d echo @rAndison as far as quality of that device goes, emphatically so far. But not, in my case, as a system replacement, only as a streamer replacement for the Connect and now attached to a Connect via my receiver to feed the rest of my Sonos network for whole-house.

It’s only a part-time affair for now (streaming whole-house from the Bluesound), but in the future if services I use within the now-legacy Sonos system controller become deprecated, it’ll become more and more regular. That solution works fine for me. I’ve no immediate plans to replace the rest of my system with more Bluesound, for obvious reasons many have mentioned (frying pan into the fire etc),  it’s both a stop gap and also a quality/options increase; the Node 2i provided me with many more options in my setup and the two in conjunction with my receiver (Node and Connect) is far better than my previous arrangement. So all in all, I’m happier than I was before the sunset announcement. 

And, in the meantime I’ll continue using the Sonos controller’s streaming capabilities if I’m only using my Sonosnet and not including my main-room stereo setup. Options are good. The Node 2i so far is simply great.

They aren’t selling legacy Sonos devices as new. The Play:1 is a modern Sonos device, fully supported and updating with the other devices you could buy in stores today. No legacy devices are still sold in stores.

@kassey22000

Dear Ryan, what exactly do you mean by fully supported? I have a recent pair of Play:1s bought less that 6 months ago and another pair bought 1 year ago. I'm having all sorts of issues, especially when trying to group them either between them or with my beam. 

If this is "fully supported" I really don't want to know what unsupported means to you guys...