IFTTT - If This Then That integration with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

138 replies

Badge
Lets skip this and go straight to Sonos and Hue working together for Ambient lighting based on the actual music, the artist or album or genera.
I would love IFTTT to be able to have the SONOS be like a door bell. Have it play a sound when phone rings, or door opens, etc... Or even connecting it to my Nest Protect when the fire alarm goes off...

IFTTT is good for integrating Web based services but would not be the best choice for an application like a doorbell. If your internet connection was down for some reason your doorbell would not work even though both the doorbell and your Sonos system are right there on your local area network. A better approach would be to use a home automation device such as Homeseer to set up the link between Sonos and your doorbell to keep everything local and reliable.

I purchased some Nest thermostats last year and have had some major fails with them due to Internet connectivity. This year I'll be moving back to network thermostats that do not depend on external services and will never again use any product that depends on external connections to accomplish their core functions. IFTTT would be great to integrate things that are web based by nature such as reading a weather forecast but it's not the best choice for integrating Sonos to other products inside your home.
Sonos support can you tell us something about IFTTT? Is there any integration soon?
Userlevel 3
Badge
This thread is more than two years old, not a single comment from Sonos. This is a total lack of respect for their customers. Quite disappointed with the so-called innovations brought to us since v.4.. IFTTT would indeed be a requirement for a home audio system worthy of the name as we are now slowly entering 2016...
I dont understand how sonos cannot integrate that. already the whole DTS thing and now this. The department from Sonos responsible for that is so retarded.. They could easily establish themselves as the new smart things standard like philipps hue or Nest but... I cant understand that..
With more and more options for wireless audio hitting the market every month, it's going to take things like this (IFTTT integration) to keep Sonos relevant. The hardware to achieve wireless audio is getting more modular and opening up more and more possibilities to connect existing high end audio. I think growth in market share will depend on software capabilities and compatibility as this market moves forward.

Every time Sonos falls behind by a step it's going to mean slightly less revenue and make it increasingly more difficult to fund these types of development projects. This could create a dangerous feed back loop for the business.

For the sake of your customers who have invested in you, don't fall behind Sonos.

- Cam Cardosi
This thread is 2 years old -- and still no integration..... please make this happen!
That would be clumsy, slow and would not work as well as you imagine with IFTTT James. Having to send the motion signal over the net to trigger a recipe and for the recipe to send back a trigger for Sonos, would take ages and fail frequently. However, with a NUC, some open source software and a bit of know how, it is very possible to set up the system you want. I've done it 🙂
Userlevel 2
Sonos alarm + Hive x ITTT = warm home for me when I get up in the morning and no wasted energy when I'm not at home (irregular schedule means auto away does not work well).

Hurry up Sonos and embrace this....
I would love IFTTT to be able to have the SONOS be like a door bell. Have it play a sound when phone rings, or door opens, etc... Or even connecting it to my Nest Protect when the fire alarm goes off...
Badge +3
Has there been any official stance on this yet? Amazed it's not supported already.
Badge
Would love to have IFTTT for Sonos - so many things including with Hue lights and also alerts from Nest Thermo/Nest Protect products.  Would like to see Sonos being able to kick in my Hue lights when played. On Nest it would be good to be able to play audible alerts through Sonos - eg Warnings from Nest Protect , temperature alerts from Thermo etc.
Interestingly this is already available on the Amazon Echo.
I'm also extremely interested in this. I already have my Hue Lights, Withings products etc connected to IFTTT. Sonos is the final step remaining.
Is there already an official statement from SONOS if it is coming? Ans if yes, when?
Please introduce IFTTT integration! Geofencing and other features would be absolutely amazing for such a great system!
Would love this, must have! Trigger with beacons, or literally anything. Please!
Hi, I also would like to see the IFTTT integration with Sonos, or geofencing on Iphone with Sonos, like Hue. It will be great to come home where already my favorite song plays, and to leave home without the need of switch off Sonos. I have 9 players, I like Sonos.
Using IFTTT I'd like to trigger a Philips Hue Light Scene by playing a specific Sonos Playlist.
Another vote for Sonos IFTTT... I want switch on a receiver which powers outdoor speakers when I start playing music to a Sonos Connect.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I would also like this.  I already have home automation software that controls my insteon lights, sonos, hue, etc and runs scheduled tasks (hue sunrise and sonos radio alarm, dusk lights on, tv lift up = dimmed lights and sonos switch to playbar), but I can see further potential for using this integration.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
This would definately add great value to the Sonos system. I have 7 rooms equipped with Sonos and Hue and sensors etc. One example : It would be great to be able to walk into a new room, let the sensor detect you and automatically group the local zone to the rest while turning on the light.
This really is a must; I can think of countless ways of adding Sonos to my Nest, Hue and iOS recipes. Come on Sonos!
Badge
For those of you who are reasonably comfortable with IT you can do some clever stuff with Openremote and a third party app https://github.com/jishi/node-sonos-http-api
They are both open source and require you to set up a server running either linux or windows.  This interfaces between Sonos and your devices such as amps, alarms, tv's etc...
I saved buying mutiple Sonos players this route by having a single sonos zoneplayer which connects to some amps I already had.   These are switched through the Openremote app which runs on IOS or Android.  Openremote has a rule engine that allows for IFTTT programming.  For example I've got a couple of IR controlled amps that when Sonos starts playing they can be triggered using Openremote and and IR blaster.    There is really no limit - voice control through tasker,  turn on Sonos when you get home (alarm integration), text to speech etc...

As an owner of 3 subs, 3 playbar's, 2 amps, 1 play5, 2 play3, and 2 play1 I would have to agree that this feature is needed.  Doubt I'll buy much more, but I will be happier and recommend to even more people...