IFTTT - If This Then That integration with Sonos

Userlevel 3
If-This-Then-That (IFTTT) integration could be cool. You could expose playlists to IFTTT as either triggers and/or actions. Use cases could be when a certain playlist is started trigger lights (via WeMo or Hue). So for lighting, a "Dinner" playlist could set a particular light pattern via Hue, or turn off some lights and dim others. You could also start a playlist when motion is detected via a WeMo motion detector, or when a switch is turned on, start a playlist. You could use a special playlist to provide a house-wide audio notifier of new emails, Facebook/Twitter/app.net mentions, or Google Calendar events.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

138 replies

Userlevel 2
IFTTT for Sonos would allow you to create an alarm clock, which will turn on your music at certain time, while slowly fading in your Philips Hue lights, and turning on the coffee pot via Wemo, all from one place.
Userlevel 1
For my sake, IFTTT would be an improvement if it opened the possibility of turning your Sonos off/on away from home. Also I would benefit from the possibility of connecting Sonos to my motion sensor from Belkin.
Userlevel 1
If Sonos integrates with IFTTT, I will build Sonos into my entire house, and I know 2-3 other friends offhand who would buy Sonos just because of an IFTTT integration
I've been using Sonos for over 10 years. Love it. But something happened: I bought an amazon Echo and hooked it up to Spotify. Haven't listened to Sonos in my kitchen since. (and the echo does not sound nearly as good). Please do this. My ears are killing me.
Centering my house around smartthings. This would be an easy way to integrate with sonos.
This thread is 2 years old -- and still no integration..... please make this happen!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Missed the point entirely, did you?

I was attacking the ridiculous notion that Sonos doesn't respect its customers..

Seems you did too, apart from making obnoxious yet irrelevant remarks.

The lack of respect point is regarding the fact that this thread, with over 100 replies, and this feature, which might be the #1 requested by users, didn't received an official reply from Sonos in the past two years. And this - IS - indeed a lack of respect for their customers.
I don't care if you're a Sonos fanboy, I do love my sonos system myself, but you should start to show a little objectivity - improvements could be made, not on the overall experience, but on connectivity.
I just hate when someone is attacking my posts instead of exchanging on the real issue raised here.

I was quite understanding with the lack of support of DTS and AirPlay, two other major requested features, that Sonos didn't want to implement for - I guess - licensing costs & hardware. But open APIs and Third Party Connectivity are purely a matter of goodwill and developer time.

The fact that two years ago this development was not a priority for Sonos might have been true, but I think it would now be time to at least give us an update on where they stand. What is taking priority now?

I definitely agree with the latest contribution, Sonos needs to be integrated to the home, being able to automatically disable the speakers when leaving home (smart alarms / nest integration) is what we expect to see now. When I walk out of my house, the alarm system turns on, my nest thermostat is set to away, my hue lights turn off, why is my Sonos system stupid and still playing if I forgot to get my phone out of my pocket, fire the app, and press pause? Time to move on! Hell with their Music partnership, Apple should throw them HomeKit connectivity as well!
Or if I press play in sonos app it turns on my wemo switch where my stereo is connected. Nice!
With more and more options for wireless audio hitting the market every month, it's going to take things like this (IFTTT integration) to keep Sonos relevant. The hardware to achieve wireless audio is getting more modular and opening up more and more possibilities to connect existing high end audio. I think growth in market share will depend on software capabilities and compatibility as this market moves forward.

Every time Sonos falls behind by a step it's going to mean slightly less revenue and make it increasingly more difficult to fund these types of development projects. This could create a dangerous feed back loop for the business.

For the sake of your customers who have invested in you, don't fall behind Sonos.

- Cam Cardosi
I dont understand how sonos cannot integrate that. already the whole DTS thing and now this. The department from Sonos responsible for that is so retarded.. They could easily establish themselves as the new smart things standard like philipps hue or Nest but... I cant understand that..
I'm itching for Amazon Echo support, but if IFTTT was supported, it would be an interim solution for getting Alexa to control Sonos. I would be the happiest man if that day comes.
+1 for integration with IFTTT, I really want my house to start playing music automatically when I get home from work! I have seen a couple of workaround solutions but I don't really have the time to fiddle around getting it to work.

I've only just bought into the Sonos system but while researching different options the lack of IFTTT support was very nearly a dealbreaker for me. In the end I went ahead in the hope that support will be added at some point in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. We'll make sure to pass on your interest but for now there's no announcement to add on IFTTT support. We know there's a lot of interest around finding new ways to control your home and right now we're focused on voice control, though there are always other enhancements yet to be announced. We'll let you know if there's any news in the future.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. We'll make sure to pass on your interest but for now there's no announcement to add on IFTTT support. We know there's a lot of interest around finding new ways to control your home and right now we're focused on voice control, though there are always other enhancements yet to be announced. We'll let you know if there's any news in the future.

Thanks for the update. To be clear, no one wants Sonos to control their house. We want Sonos to take instructions from other devices. Check the posts in this thread for a clearer picture.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
SmartThings - done
I just want to add another desperate request for ifttt compatibility. That would be way more useful than voice command in my opinion.
Badge +1
I would also like to show support for IFTTT integration. However if there's Google Home integration, I guess that can also work.
Is there any news on this? People are now moving to smart gadgets. I just bought sonos 5.1 and was really disappointed that it is not integrated with ifttt, apple homekit or google home.
I would also like to show support for IFTTT integration
Wow!! I can't believe this is not a priority??? IFTTT integration is an absolute must, cmon Sonos you need to do this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, this has been a long standing request, and after working with their teams, today we just announced that IFTTT and Sonos have been integrated. Take a look at our announcement post.
Userlevel 3
Centering my house around smartthings. This would be an easy way to integrate with sonos.
Smartthings has just released IFTTT integration.
Userlevel 3
Someone else has made the same request here - https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/ifttt_if_this_then_that
Userlevel 2
Badge
I think this would be an excellent addition! If I am away unexpectidely I could change the alarm settings using the IFTTT app, also I love the idea of various triggers, imagine all the power and flexibility this would give you! If it's going to rain, you could have a little playlist that says it's going to rain, and a sunny playlist too! Or you could have it so SONOS turns on as the WEMO sensor senses you've got home! Brilliant!
Please do this!