Answered

Cannot group Sonos system with Google Home devices

Show first post

212 replies

Really sad that there isn't a backlog or something where we can see what's going on, or vote on things we really miss.

Sonos reads these forums, so your thoughts are considered.  Don’t know if they hold an official tally.  I’m not all surprised that they don’t show numbers who on who else wants a particular feature, as that would only bring disappoint to customers who feel like customer votes should be the only factor in implementing feature...ignoring things like making a profit, contractual limitations, impact on other development plans, and technical feasibility.

I believe this is the greatest feature which will push Sonos forward above the others. A real integration with the Google equipment. For smaller rooms it's nice to have just a small 27 euro Nest Mini, and the bigger rooms can have the more expensive (and better sounding) Sonos equipment. But just grouping them all together would be such a great feature.

Personally, I’d rather see Sonos come out with their own $50 puck speaker. Scratch that, I’d love to see a non-portable version of the Roam for maybe around $120 or something.

Really sad that there isn't a backlog or something where we can see what's going on, or vote on things we really miss. I believe this is the greatest feature which will push Sonos forward above the others. A real integration with the Google equipment. For smaller rooms it's nice to have just a small 27 euro Nest Mini, and the bigger rooms can have the more expensive (and better sounding) Sonos equipment. But just grouping them all together would be such a great feature.

I just want to be able to tell Google Assistant to play music in my whole house. Is it that hard to let me do that? Just let me group the speakers already…

I paid a ton of money for high end products which even advertise the Google integration and I’m not able to use a basic function. Very disapointing.

Moderation note: removed expletive

It can be done With a little untraditional work-around. I got a chromecast connected to my TV and a SONOS Beam connected to the TV with a HDMI cable to one of the TVs HDMI ARC ports. I got to one gen 2 speakers paired with my beam. In my bedroom, kitchen and bathroom I got Google home speakers. For this to work the TV must be turned on though… in the google home app you then create a group with your TV(chromecast) and your Google speakers. That’s it. You now have music playing through (in my case) a beam, 2 one gen 2 and all my google speakers at the same time. You can adjust sync between the speakers through the app, if need be. By default it is set at 76 ms. Cheers from Denmark. 

Honestly I don't even know why I bought an Arc being unable to group the speakers. They almost never get used for music because of this. 🤦‍♂️

Just implement the feature already.

Just sell your Google speakers and  buy Sonos already . You either have a Sonos multiroom system or you don't. 

Honestly I don't even know why I bought an Arc being unable to group the speakers. They almost never get used for music because of this. 🤦‍♂️

Just implement the feature already.

More then 150 comments?Can you finally make that feature available? Its sad my SONOS Beam is the ONLY device that cant be grouped in google home.

Makes sense. It’s a fine piece of hardware & I’m tempted to hold onto it... especially as no “TV soundbar company” is building one that seems to pair nicely into Google Groups (for now.)

Hopefully someone fully in the Sonos ecosystem will get it as I can see a lot of love and effort went into the engineering. It’s sad to see it sit mostly unused when the rest of my house plays music 🙃

Yes it is. But the history is that Sonos invented wireless multiroom audio and the model is still 'all or nothing '. 

Whether that model continues to be viable remains to be seen.  I think it has lots of life in it yet,  but only time will tell. 

Makes sense. It’s a fine piece of hardware & I’m tempted to hold onto it... especially as no “TV soundbar company” is building one that seems to pair nicely into Google Groups (for now.)

Hopefully someone fully in the Sonos ecosystem will get it as I can see a lot of love and effort went into the engineering. It’s sad to see it sit mostly unused when the rest of my house plays music 🙃

Btw. I am sure you aren't the only person looking not to be tied into a particular brand of speaker. That's a perfectly reasonable position to take. 

And I understand that people with several existing Google devices before they buy Sonos are frustrated that they cannot group them with Sonos. 

I am happy to be 'trapped' in tbe Sonos ecosystem. Of course not everyone will be. 

My point is that no price guarantees any particular feature should be included.

If Sonos doesn't provide a feature that is important to you then you have to consider whether the features it does have are worth the price.  If not then it is logical to send it.back.

The only statement you will get from Sonos is 'we have no information on this to share at the present time'. So I wouldn't wait too long hoping for anything else. 

“The price is irrelevant” is a funny quote when you have a questionably useful $800 speaker. I’d advise the fanboys not defend Sonos here; they’re in a lawsuit with Google due to the danger this type of issues poses against their survival.

You need them to be able to demonstrate that customers like me exist because we’re a growing market segment. I refer to people who are building integrated ecosystems & will skip over non-integrated options. This necessitates regulation to prevent players like Google/Amazon from abusing their market positions & killing players like Sonos.

I’m still in the return period & evaluating the Arc, but without a statement from Sonos I will likely return this. The smart-tech capabilities are useless to me if they can’t fit into my existing systems.

Just bought a Sonos Beam, two Ikea speakers and consider buying the Sonos Sub. I know noticed that I cannot add the Sonos Speakers (or in my case the speaker group) to Google Home groups. I also cannot control the speaker throught the Google Home app (pause, next and volume).

This is unaccaptable… Both my Lenovo Smart Clock and my JBL Link are able to do this and they cost a fraction of what Sonos costs. I am still in my return period and might actually make use of it as this…

The Lenovo and JBL are just speakers. Sonos is already a multiroon system. The price is irrelevant. 

If this is unacceptable then you had better get the return labels ready, because it is very unlikely to change. 

So why can I not pause/play or change the volume (or cast from music directly from the Google Home App to the Sonos)? That are not multiroom features and should work. 

Even then, Sonos supports speaker groups with Alex so why not with Google?

Just bought a Sonos Beam, two Ikea speakers and consider buying the Sonos Sub. I know noticed that I cannot add the Sonos Speakers (or in my case the speaker group) to Google Home groups. I also cannot control the speaker throught the Google Home app (pause, next and volume).

This is unaccaptable… Both my Lenovo Smart Clock and my JBL Link are able to do this and they cost a fraction of what Sonos costs. I am still in my return period and might actually make use of it as this…

The Lenovo and JBL are just speakers. Sonos is already a multiroon system. The price is irrelevant. 

If this is unacceptable then you had better get the return labels ready, because it is very unlikely to change. 

Just bought an Arc, got it setup, and may be returning it based on this missing feature. I have a month to decide -- or for Sonos to commit to offering this.

Laughable. Absolutely disappointing.

Two years after the original post this is still an issue. You cannot link a Sonos speaker to a Google Speaker Group. A major reason for purchasing the Roam was to connect it to a speaker group.

I am returning this device. I will find competitors offering Wifi and Bluetooth.

I'd like to add to the chorus. But also say that this thread is marked as answered, when the outcome of a year ago seems entirely unsatisfactory. But I won't pile on too much. Suffice to say I will also not be buying another Sonos until this integration issue is resolved. If these speakers had Bluetooth functionality it would help. 

So one year later, and Sonos still cannot integrate with google groups. Such a disappointment as just bought a Sonos 1.

I have already decided to return it, and get two google nest audio.

I'm looking for this as well, group the sonos speakers with the google nest / home. Should be nice if Sonos will make anothet statement after a year of this TS.

Just the beginning of an Integration that’s seen no improvement in the last year?

I’m just adding my voice to the crowd here 

I love my Sonos One, and I’ve been saving to add more to my bedroom and kitchen for the seamless music experience sonos advertises, but this lack of real integration is really driving me away from Sonos, 

why would I buy another Sonos one when I can’t fully integrate it into my google home app, 

the nests are getting better and better, and google is adding more and more, and over a year since this was posted Sonos still hasn’t done anything or released any definitive statement, 

Fully integrated Sonos into google home already 

I’m hoping for Sonos to say something about this soon, a solotion to come very soon.

If not I will also sell my Sonos One’s 

As they do have a usless Google assistant integration

I am as frustrated as most others about this. I found that JBL is a step ahead of Sonos. JBL link integrates perfectly with Google Nest speakers and groups can be created. I would prefer to buy more Sonos speakers but will not do it until Sonos and Google speakers can be grouped in the Google home app.

Will look closely into this solution and sell my beam and other play:one on the market! Im tired at the lack of integration with my other google devices.

Sonos,

After all this waiting. And after multiple articles. And after multiple phone calls to your service reps (including today), I’m now being told that you cannot group your Sonos system devices with your Google Home devices (after being told for months and more than a year that the aid be able to group them). Even the rep I spoke with today tried to help me and didn’t find out it wasn’t possible until he spoke to a system engineer. You can do it with Amazon devices, but STILL not with Google devices

In all honesty, what is the point of adding Google assistant to Sonos if you can’t even use Sonos speakers with Google Speakers together in a group? It’s pretty useless for me to be in living room, have to get up and walk to my kitchen to say “hey google, play x in my Living Room” and then walk back.

I am also frustrated by this. The strange thing is that this actually did work at one point. I have a speaker group in Google home that still contains some Sonos speakers and some of my Google hub displays and nest wifi mesh speakers. I can't delete it or edit it and I've since added more speakers in my new home. It seems strange they would remove this feature. I would love to have this working again since I don't need fancy expensive Sonos speakers in every room in my house but sometimes would like a song to play throughout the entire house. Please add this back Sonos!