Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 2

I had the same issue last night, twice whilst mid stream on Netflix. I reported through support and was provided with a reference. I have got a new TV with Atmos/EARC capability.

I have been advised to turn off Atmos which defeats the point of paying a significant amount of money for this functionality and not being able to use it.

I was surprised reading the comments on here as to how long this had been going on for.

What are the specifics of your setup? Which TV model are you using, and was it the native app within the TV or an external device, if so, which?

The TV was a Samsung 65QN90B and it was a native app on the TV

This is the Sonos ‘community’ site. If you want to communicate with Sonos directly, you should call Sonos Support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Update 15.4 is available

But doesn’t help for me… :-(

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I had the same issue last night, twice whilst mid stream on Netflix. I reported through support and was provided with a reference. I have got a new TV with Atmos/EARC capability.

I have been advised to turn off Atmos which defeats the point of paying a significant amount of money for this functionality and not being able to use it.

I was surprised reading the comments on here as to how long this had been going on for.

What are the specifics of your setup? Which TV model are you using, and was it the native app within the TV or an external device, if so, which?

Thanks — could you humour me, if you play some Atmos content in the same way, and open the Sonos App and navigate to Settings > System > About my System, what do you get for “Audio In”? Atmos (DD+), Atmos (TrueHD), or just “Atmos”.  I’m guessing it’s the latter?

Badge +1

Which extractor? Are you sending HDMI-eARC to ARC or are you sending audio over TOSLINK (optical).

Its 2.0b eArc extractor 

https://www.bungpung.com/products/4k-hdmi-earc-audio-adapter

bought this one to see if it fixed the issue before buying an expensive 2.1 extractor and it fixed it

now ill save up for 2.1 arcane🥹 as i need it for gaming consoles for vrr and 120

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Simon B Hi Simon, what is the best route forwards for this issue, I’ve submitted a report but the online solution tool doesn’t cover this issue & I’m wondering if it is easiest to exchange it? Concerned it has been damaged.

Many thanks.

Same exact issue.

Equipment:

Sony A8H

XBOX Series X

Apple TV 4K

Sonos Arc White (purchased late June 2020)

Description:

Very loud, startling pop happens intermittently. All sound stops, then after 15-30 seconds the sound resumes. Has happened with Apple TV 4K in mid-summer 2020. Currently only happens when using XBOX Series X, so I would assume the issue is not isolated to only XBOX. Also happened on a previous TV using Apple TV 4K (Sony A8F). This event seems to only happen while watching Dolby Atmos content. 

I’ve called twice, and had a chat session with support. The latest service rep asked me to get a video of the incident happening, and to also try to duplicate the issue on another TV. There is no way I’ll be able to record this very random occurrence to video.

I am also worried, like the rest of you, that the Arc could be damaged because the pop is so loud. This is extremely disappointing. 

That might be challenging to do. How does Sonos realize the sound is coming from a device (TV or Arcana) changing formats, rather than a rifle shot in a quiet movie scene? Not sure there is enough information coming to the Sonos to determine whether the ‘sound’ is a valid, or invalid one. I’d likely want the machine sending the errant signal to not do so, rather than expecting the Sonos to be able to recognize and filter it. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks — could you humour me, if you play some Atmos content in the same way, and open the Sonos App and navigate to Settings > System > About my System, what do you get for “Audio In”? Atmos (DD+), Atmos (TrueHD), or just “Atmos”.  I’m guessing it’s the latter?

Yes it just says Dolby Atmos

Unfortunately, this forum is not the official communication arm of Sonos. Occasionally, we get tidbits from the Forum moderators, but not very frequently. I understand your frustration, but am trying to temper your expectations of getting any sort of ‘official’ response here. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Yes it just says Dolby Atmos

So another device pushing out the MAT container.  Interestingly, this is a direct TV to Sonos Arc connection via the native app, so the TV isn’t acting as the passthrough middle man or anything. 🤔 That would also, potentially, remove some theories about bandwidth being an issue, as surelyonly the audio would be routed to the Arc?

@Dirtynes — if your TV has the option to change the audio output format from Linear PCM to Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD, that should alleviate the issue for yourself.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This thread alone has users affected by the problem on Samsung, Sony, and LG TVs. If this issue appears on the three largest manufactures, as well as both major consoles (with the PS5 Atmos update), and Apple TV; there is nothing limited to it. 

This was my initial thought when I read their response. I’ve heard of the popping happening on all of the major brands and it’s not limited to the TV being a certain type of panel (OLED, QLED, Mini-LED and so on). 

I don’t disagree with Sonos in saying that it’s not hardware related. The issue does appear to be related to software but the fact that they’ve yet to fix or even say they replicated the issue is concerning. I’m not entirely certain on what information they receive when we send diagnostics in but surely they can see something went wrong when these pops occur. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I called Sonos Support yesterday trying to get an update on this issue. I was disconnected after explaining the issue (again) for nearly 10 minutes. She had no clue about this issue. Of course she didn’t call back. Why do they ask for your phone number? I digress.

The second ‘tech’ was even worse. Had never heard about the issue. I guided him to a few Sonos Community threads. Wanted me to start changing cables and resetting my Arc to factory settings blah, blah, blah. If you are reading this, I’m betting you can relate. 

Then I switched to chat support. After getting past the bot, Mateo helped me and told me the update which came available yesterday/today was set to address this issue. I found that to be very coincidental, but hopefully it will help. Fingers crossed. Here is the update details: 

App Version: 14.12 (build 69131120)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

for what it’s worth here are my set ups and I have never experienced this issue. Just putting it out there for more data

Living room:

sony A9g OLED

apple tv 4K 3rd gen

sonos arc, 2 subs, play:1 as rears

using eArc

game room:

LG CX OLED

Using eArc

sonos arc, 1 sub, 2 era 100 as rears 

xbox series x with atmos enabled

nintendo switch

PS5 using beta firmware with atmos enabled 

Hope Sonos can fix this soon for those affected 

But does the pop damage the unit and how are we meant to know if it has?

Only had it once, not since and so can’t do the diagnostic and ring them.

UPDATE & ADVICE: after a somewhat frustrating experience with support (call got dropped, email that was promised never arrived, they wanted me to send a video of it which seemed silly since this is such a widely known issue, the pop actually happened twice while we were on the call and their diagnostics couldn’t pick it up) I followed their advice to try a new HDMI cable between TV & ARC. So far, fingers crossed, this has worked.

The HDMI cable I had been using was the one that came with the ARC - perhaps Sonos shipped a bunch of defective HDMI cables? Anyway, it’s worth a shot to just swap in a new cable and a lot easier to just try it than call support.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have performed the following testing:

1. Unplugged Xbox from TV. Turned off both Apple TV CEC functions (on/off and volume control) in the settings. Powercycled TV, Apple TV, and Sonos Arc.
  2. I tested by playing one hour of “Hits in Spatial Audio” on Apple TV Apple Music. Once I had my first ever pop, I would reliably get a pop within 30 minutes of this playlist.
  3. After the first hour I turned on volume control CEC. After the second hour I turned on on/off CEC while leaving volume control CEC on. It has been three hours without a pop.

It is possible that somewhere in there we are looking at a permanent fix. At this point, I consider it more likely that we have a reset to “before the first pop”. I had Atmos for weeks before it popped for the first time. If CEC ties into the Arc malfunction, it also raises the question why only LPCM/Dolby MAT Atmos is affected.

When I have time I will continue testing by reconnecting the Xbox and playing with its CEC settings. @Rios hypothesis is that the Xbox is key (although we have affected users that never had an Xbox). In any event, big round of applause to @TheFlamesFan for bringing new information to the table! 👏👏👏

I ONLY turned off CEC while leaving Volume control on through HDMI (not sure exactly how that works without CEC? unless its a new eARC feature?).  I was able to go 3 hours without a pop last night.  Never before has that been possible with my Apple TV.  I will keep testing with this setup and see if/how long for a pop.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
  1. I disabled CEC on Apple TV and Xbox but left it on on the (Sony 900H) TV so that I could control Arc volume. 

2. I unplugged everything and plugged it back in after a bit. 

3. I turned back on Apple TV CEC, followed by Apple TV Atmos, followed by Xbox Atmos. I left Xbox CEC off. 

No pop in the last four days, including both Apple TV and Xbox usage. It sucks not having Xbox CEC (used to be that I didn’t need the TV remote at all), but it’s a price I’m willing to pay and I don’t want to risk the pop coming back after the bad times over the last two years. I’m really hoping that Sonos is paying attention and eventually giving everybody an official statement on the cause and resolution of the pop. 

When you say ‘unplugged everything’ does that include the HDMI cables and if so, any particular order when plugging everything back in? HDMI then Power? Or Power then HDMI? Thanks everyone for the testing and tips! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Update 15.4 is available

By that do you mean it still has issues?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It is my understanding that we have users in this thread who have the pop but have never had an Xbox connected.

@Rios : I have a Sonos Arc.

I for one have never had an Xbox connected. I have a very basic and common set up. Sony 900H TV, Xfinity X1 cable TV box on HDMI/1, Sonos Arc on eArc HDMI/3, and Apple TV 4K on HDMI/4. My pooping started roughly a year ago.

After reading recent posts I checked my Sony TV setting and sure enough, it had been set to ‘Enhanced Format (Dolby Vision)’ on every HDMI output. I’ve changed each to ‘Enhanced Format’ setting.

I currently have my Apple TV Dolby Atmos disabled and my settings set to 4K SDR (60Hz), Chroma 4:4:4 and Match Content Range & Frame Rates set to on. The Dolby Vision is not enabled. However, it is my understanding that with these settings the Apple TV will match whatever video format that is thrown at it. Wouldn’t that mean that it would match content that was in Dolby Vision?

@Rios are you saying this would not be the case? That Dolby Vision would not engage with these settings? Thanks for all your work and input on this crazy issue. So many of you in this community have gone above and beyond to help us and Sonos. I hope they appreciate it too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Update 15.4 is available

By that do you mean it still has issues?

Yes, after 15.4 Update still dropping atmos sound in different intervals sometimes also starting with a loud plopping. Worst if using apple tv 4k with any service playing Atmos content. 
Playing true HD Atmos ftom BD player drops sound much less often… only one time for 30 seconds after playing without problems for half an hour before. 
So imho Sonos has more or less problems playing atmos from different sources, but definitely it has problems. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Anyone know if Sonos S2 v. 14.0 fixes this popping issue? The update just dropped today and I know Sonos was developing a fix. 

Hey, 

I add my contribution to this topic too. Couple of months ago I heard this loud bang and low volume after that first time, when watching Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision content from Apple TV 4K. Turning on TV speakers and then bacl to Sonos fixed the problem, until I heard it again when using xBox Series X and again Dolby Atmos content. Total of 5 times. Today, early morning when watching Viaplay from Apple TV 4K I had multiple sound cutouts, that got fixed by ”hardbooting” the app, but when I turned tv on later today, Sonos is complete silent! No matter what source connected to TV  I use (Playstation 5, xBox Series X, Nvidia Shield Pro, Apple TV 4K, or TV’s internal apps) there’s no audio at all. Alexa on Sonos arc works fine, also when streaming spotify from iPhone everything works. But via TV, it’s all silent 🥺

Sonos Arc + sub.3gen + 2xPlay:1

Sony 85X90H

Badge +2

I spoke too soon . It happened today when I’m playing resident evil 4 with 4k 120hz VRR . Darn it !!!

sonos !! Put your act together we need this fix now !!!

otherwise I’m returning my Era 300!😡

Indeed. Considering that many threads like these were begun over two years ago, with no appreciable effect (despite the laudable best efforts of some people here), I am not personally too optimistic. 

Badge

there was a mentally loud pop when I was in the xbox menu and pressed the glowing x in the middle of the pad.  Turning off the automatic selection of the signal input on the tv when we press this button helped