Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

@Yiu,
To get Sonos Support Staff to check your diagnostic report, you are perhaps best to contact/chat to  them directly via this link below:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@ilh23mx first of all, I appreciate what you’re doing. Maybe, just maybe, you’re the one to have cracked this which would be amazing! I am not trying to dispute that the compressed audio setting matters. I’m saying that it shouldn’t because it’s a setting for line in. So of course nobody will have tried that yet  

My DV comment wasn’t aimed at you. Earlier in the discussion there was a recommendation to turn off DV on the Xbox. Turning off DV seems to help on Apple TV, but not on Xbox.

I’m about to go in a 4-day trip, which is terrible timing because I would love to help you replicate your result. If you’re willing to spend the time, I think it would be super helpful for you to try to return to a state where the pop happens. That would give us a lot of information about:

1. Do Compressed Audio and Alexa matter in combination, or only one of them?
  2. Does your move fix it even when you return the settings to previous? This would lend credence to the hypothesis that Arc works fine until something triggers the “pop vulnerability”, and maybe your steps just happen to clear that trigger. 

If you can find a setting where you can make the pop disappear and reappear, you’ve won and solved this! If it’s now gone for good on the other hand, it might reappear and there’s something really complex going on. 

No worries I totally understood you previous comment. Also I tried to emphasize your statement.

Before returning to my original setup, I did a step before. I just removed ALEXA and I kept COMPRESSED AUDIO AUTO enabled in SONOS APP and issue occurred (ALEXA may not be the issue)

Final step I changed COMPRESSED AUIDO setting to UNCOMPRESSED and tried both DV on/off and issue disappear.

Later today I’ll go back to first step UNCOMPRESSED to AUTO and report if issue appears again.

Also I will try to enable ALEXA with UNCOMPRESSED setting to re-confirm if works well.

Thanks for the comments and advice, as soon as you return home safely please try my setup and confirm if works.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@ilh23mx amazing! You got it to pop and not pop just by changing the compressed audio setting? I’m blown away. 

I cannot wait to try this myself. Anybody else have some time to change Compressed Audio to Uncompressed and see if the pop disappears, and reappears when it’s back on auto?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Yup LPCM option still there . I been doing some test , when I’m playing final fantasy 16 on VRR which is 48-60hz then no pop at all but when I switch back to god of war Ragnarok running VRR 48-120hz then loud pop occurs . Now we know 120hz is the problem that causing the pop . Just like the Xbox series X

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

How do you know that Apple TV and Xbox are the major consumer devices that are affected? That's an assumption?

With a PS5, I can unfortunately reliably get loud pops when using multichannel PCM 7.1 with an eARC TV. It sounds like small loud bangs, if something was breaking.

I think, like many others in this discussion, that it has something to do with high bitrate multiPCM or encapsulated dolby atmos MAT (which includes multichannel PCM),

Have you read this thread? Apple TV and Xbox are hands down the most common source devices affected at this moment. Yes, PC and some TV app can have it happen as well. But those are smaller install bases because not as many people hook up a PC to an Arc for the former and because few TVs output in Dolby MAT for the latter. I suspect that will change once the PS5 Atmos firmware goes from beta to production, since beta users have been affected by the pop.

You are correct that the pop seems to happen when devices using Dolby MAT are connected. That is the common denominator. You are describing getting “pops” when using multichannel PCM on PS5. I assume that this is a series of pops that are nothing like the problem that this thread is about. The Verge story about our problem has a nice video of the Sonos Pop. It is loud. And then the Arc cuts out while the surrounds keep playing.

In any event, I suspect you haven’t read this thread. Give it a read! It’s a wild ride and will answer all of the questions you currently have.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, this is the first time I seek support from Sonos, I didn’t know the Chromecast didn’t support MAT as the behaviour is identical to the issue that everyone else was experiencing. I’m now in contact with someone from Sonos and I hope that I can get this sorted.

Maybe see this link too:

https://hometheateracademy.com/google-chromecast-work-with-a-projector/

Particularly note the section that mentions HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection) as that could be a potential cause of your issue (perhaps?), which is solvable with an audio extractor/splitter, like the Arcana and similar products, for example. However, I would see what the Sonos Staff can discover first from your report/contact.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Yup LPCM option still there . I been doing some test , when I’m playing final fantasy 16 on VRR which is 48-60hz then no pop at all but when I switch back to god of war Ragnarok running VRR 48-120hz then loud pop occurs . Now we know 120hz is the problem that causing the pop . Just like the Xbox series X

That’s actually really encouraging.  Hopefully others can recreate and confirm once the update goes live and Sonos can use that as a jumping off point to finally resolve this.

Badge

here’s the latest official response from Sonos support, which seems to suggest it’s specific to some TVs. I know Microsoft has been working on a HDMI 2.1 problem with the Xbox Series X on certain LG OLED models, where the console would boot up into a resolution from 1995 instead of 4K.

Either way, we’ll get on to Sonos and figure out if this is TV specific or something related to Dolby MAT 2.0.

Hello everyone,
I'm having exactly the same issue with a Sonos ARC, an AppleTV and a Sony XH9005 (not LG here) : a bang, a few clicks, then nothing. Resetting all the devices and disabling CEC didn't help. The only possible workaround is to disable Dolby Atmos in the AppleTV... The last straw for an Atmos soundbar...

Userlevel 2
Badge

here’s the latest official response from Sonos support, which seems to suggest it’s specific to some TVs. I know Microsoft has been working on a HDMI 2.1 problem with the Xbox Series X on certain LG OLED models, where the console would boot up into a resolution from 1995 instead of 4K.

Either way, we’ll get on to Sonos and figure out if this is TV specific or something related to Dolby MAT 2.0.

I have exactly the same problem and already had 3 different OLED from LG. The CX, C1 and CS9. When I had the CX, I hadn't bought the Arc yet. The other two TVs paired with Xbox Series X and Dolby Atmos almost always made the bang we're talking about when I went from games to the dashboard. I also have the other problem with the poor resolution (640x480) on the LG OLEDs with Xbox Series X and it happened on all my OLEDs.

I asked an online AI about this issue and the reply was this shown below (summarised)…

…..

When playing LPCM Atmos audio to a soundbar, the popping noise output is caused by the audio format's metadata. LPCM Atmos audio contains metadata that instructs the soundbar to switch between different audio channels and speaker configurations. This switching process can cause a brief interruption in the audio signal, resulting in a popping noise.

To prevent this popping noise, it is recommended to use an HDMI connection between the source device and the soundbar. This allows for the audio and metadata to be transmitted together, reducing the likelihood of interruptions in the signal.

…..

Make of it what you will, but it left me with the impression that the metadata is sometimes arriving at the speaker out of sync and causing the issue. If that’s the case not sure how Sonos could fix this, as any attempt to buffer the audio would throw the video on screen out of sync.

Maybe decent (short) high speed HDMI cables and an audio extractor, like an Arcana HDFury would both help improve things, bypassing the TV altogether?

I don’t suffer this issue, but thought I would just mention the response I got back from my AI search.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

This just happened to me and it was scary! 
can anyone help?

I recommend not wasting your time with Sonos support besides letting them know you too have this problem. Make sure to be ready to reference this thread as your support person will say this is the first time they’ve heard of it.

If you try to use support beyond that, they will make you spend many days jumping through hoops (factory reset, changing cables, submitting diagnostics, asking you to videotape the problem! etc) that will be fruitless. 

Read this thread. It’s a documented problem. There’s nothing you can do besides switching Atmos off on your source devices. All we can do is hope that Sonos will eventually fix the problem. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Sonos is being ridiculous here. 

“this will focus on the Arc”

We’re trying to focus on the Arc. This is why we’re asking you about a solution when supports been silent. 

I have had the same issue with my arc popping using Disney+ with my Apple 4K. I think I just solved it for my situation. I changed the video settings on the Apple 4K to turn off the Dynamic Range and Frame rate matching. I can recreate the issue by turning them back on. I haven’t tried them individually yet, but maybe this can help someone out there 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m very happy to hear this. My gaming consoles have since been moved to a non-speaker setup (all headphones) but I do still use my Apple TV and was always concerned about a popping noise. 

I wish it didn’t take media coverage to get here but thank you nonetheless!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Upgraded from a playbar to Arc a couple of weeks back. LG C1 and an Xbox one X. Had popping a number of times now.

Previously zero issues before the Arc. This must be a sonos Atmos issue.

Have they even acknowledged this as a bug? Not really acceptable for any product, let alone one that costs this much.

Sonos? 

What is being done about this?

@Corry P Any update on any of this? We see more and more posts like this one with no reply. It’s as if your customers are yelling for help in a dark room. It’s hard to believe the only responses we’ve seen from Sonos is that it’s happening to other un-named Atmos sound-bars. There are no other updates to an issue that’s serious and going on a year old? Thanks for any feedback you can give us.

Btw, when I call Sonos support I’m still told to change the cables. 🤷‍♂️😵‍💫

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @fok_1 

Have you checked if the Arcana has any updates available? I highly recommend this.

I can confirm that we don’t support the use of any HDMI switches. This isn’t to say they won’t work, just that if you’re using one then we can’t guarantee performance, and therefore don’t troubleshoot systems using them. HD Fury, however, will support your Arcana. From what I hear, HD Fury have good technical support - I recommend getting in touch with them regarding this issue.

Unfortunately, the only way of confirming this is either by swapping the TV (ideally for another brand) to test, or using a device such as the HD Fury Arcana to act as the coordinator of these feeds and turn the TV into a glorified monitor.

I don’t mean to be pedantic, but I didn’t recommend that you use an Arcana - just that it would serve as a troubleshooting tool should a second TV not be an option for testing (and it could then be returned for a refund). Unfortunately, the fact that you have one in use already means that you likely cannot test Atmos without using it due to your TV not supporting Atmos.

I’m afraid I cannot escalate a case to the next tier when it’s regarding a setup that we do not support.

First off thanks for this thread. I have a small integration company that sells a lot of Sonos hardware. We currently have a client that has one television with this behavior of a loud pop from his ARC that stops playing (upstream is Sony 85” 91J series and AppleTV). The issue seems to manifest itself when streaming Disney+ presumably with Atmos content.

We’ve had the “luxury” of trying two different ARC speakers on this set up (as was suggested to us from our dealer tech support) and the issue remains. Our next step is to try streaming Disney+ directly from the Sony rather than the AppleTV will keep you posted.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Just to note I upgraded my sonos Arc to 14.18 last night and the Windows Sound test using “Dolby Atmos for home theatre” vi HDFury Arcana no longer produces the loud pops.  

I re-enabled Atmos on my Apple TV following the update. Popped in the first show that I watched.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It would help if ‘POP’ victims kept good logs. The log should be verbose, keeping track of time of day, temperature, play time into the movie, ARC Volume setting, etc. It would be best to submit a diagnostic and include the confirmation number in the log. If you are regularly hit with these events, the developers could be able to provide special builds and access to enhanced diagnostic procedures.

Everyone should keep an open mind. Once you decide that the problem must be […] or cannot be […], you are likely to be blindsided. One should not assume that there is a single cause. It’s possible that a string of events must occur in a certain order before there is a ‘POP’. This is why logging is important.

This is some farcical BS.  The onus for comprehensive and useful logging is not on the end user.  Sonos has a submit diagnostic feature for a reason that has been used countless times by the users in this thread.

Re: “keep[ing] an open mind”, you might have missed the part where this has been ongoing for almost three years.  We’re passed the point of giving Sonos the benefit of the doubt and just want some kind of resolution.  Even if that’s just in the form of better error handling so that we get a drop out instead a heart stopping gunshot.

Hi All

Unfortunately I’m also experiecing this exact same problem and it appears to be getting more frequent.

• Arc + 2x One SLs
  • Sony A80J
  • Xbox One Series X
  • Using HDMI cable the Arc came with.

First time it happened whilst playing MS Flight Simulator and it was so loud I jumped out of my seat. Then it didn’t happen again for a few weeks, then I found this thread and tried a few things suggested like disabling Dolby Atmos, Auto HDR, but it didn’t make any difference. Also I want Dolby Atmos as thats why I bought the Arc.

Now it pops loudly without fail when playing other games too such as Forza Horizon 5. I have to power cycle to get it back (although i can select music through the app and this plays without need for cycle). So far it doesn’t appear to have degraded the sound but I am worried its only a matter of time.

I have submitted 3 diagnostic reports right after it has happened today - 1286287503, 664679292 & 1164353300.

Can someone please advise what I can do? I don’t see any acknowledgement of the issue from Sonos unless I missed it?

Kind regards

Chris

Chris,

Its usually best to contact Sonos Support direct with these type of issues.. you should be able to chat with a representative via this LINK to discuss the issue and perhaps see what they suggest.

Hope you can get it sorted.👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Smizzo and @E.Hunter 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

As mentioned, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system, after submitting the diagnostics. Especially if you think your Arc has been damaged.Thanks.

I’m of the apparently minority opinion that the ‘pop’ is being generated upstream from the Sonos device, and the Sonos device is merely playing what it is handed. That being said, I’ve seen no compelling evidence in particular, other than it appears to be associated with Apple TV and Microsoft XBoxes. 

The XBox does seem to be particularly prone to the "popping" issue (and it’s not always Sonos related). Here are just a few (of several) links that I came across in a quick browser search:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Magnesiumion 

I understand your need for an answer.

Unfortunately, I can only share the information that has been provided to me, and at present, I don’t have any addition information to share.

I believe our engineers are presently working on confirming this possible fix (they had a lot of trouble in replicating the issue in the first place) before publishing it as “the answer” or making changes to our software in order to prevent it. Please be assured that we are still working on this issue.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Come on Sonos !!!! This problem existed for years since ARC came out . Fix the damn thing already . I want to enjoy my Resident evil 4 remake with 4k120hz VRR ATMOS without worrying when the loud pop going to occur! 

I’m quite suprised that this hasn’t been properly picked up by any of the tech news / review sites. Are they too much in bed with Sonos?