Sonos Beam and Bose QC headphones in Samsung TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

154 replies

Just installed my Beam and found out this “feature"….

Disconnect the HDMI seems to solve the issue so is a manual HDMI switch a solution?

Simply turn on headphone; accept yes on tv (Everytime...Why not automatically Samsung? another frustration) and press manually the button of the HDMI switch behind the beam. When finishing; turn off the headphone and press the button on the switch.

Looks like a solution??

So, got my Beam recently and finally discovered this fun “feature” which led me here.

My setup is a Beam plus Samsung KS8000 (2017 model)

Even Samsung’s “Multi-output audio” accessibility feature is overridden by this damn thing. Connecting an optical to BT transmitter is the only way to go. Fortunately in my case, I already own one of these… but I understand the frustration of being told to go buy something else.

For those that want to solve the issue this way, I recommend this one. It has APTX low latency support and also allows two pairs of headphones at the same time, should you ever want that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QV77YIC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I should add one thing to this. This device (as well as seemingly every other similar one, I checked) requires your tv sound output to be set to PCM. This is disappointing, as the Beam sounds a lot better with the Dolby Digital output. My TV does not let me have separate output settings for SPDIF and ARC, unfortunately. If other ones do, you’re in better luck.

So I’m still stuck toggling a setting in the menu, if I want to use the headphones but also have DD sound on the Beam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could turn off HDMI-CEC (Anynet) any time you want to use your headphones.

That's a little to complicated for girlfriend and daughter. Also my settopbox loses his connection.

Badge

For this purpose guiding the sound to the Beam is not “stealing” but the way it is supposed to work…….

Actually, it’s the way it was designed to work, by SONOS.

Which doesn’t necessary make it right or smart…

Actually, Sonos has implemented the Beam and Amp to follow the HDMI-ARC specification, a subset of HDMI-CEC, set forth by the organization responsible for publishing the spec, like all other manufacturers who implement devices that use this feature. 

You can do further research starting here, and then move on to the actual specs depending on your level of interest and electrical engineering knowledge. 

Just bought an AMP and wasted an hour trying to get sound to my AirPods, believing it to be some Apple issue. 

Put in a RFC through Sonos Support and I’m really considering a return depending on the answer to the question “Is there a  fix for this in your software release schedule?”.  (edit, see answer).

I suggest that anyone annoyed by this issue does the same. You can refer to my case.

Just not acceptable for a premium product on such a basic use case scenario. 

I got his reply:

Thanks for reaching out regarding your TV setup with your Amp.

We are currently investigating an issue where TV audio meant for headphones reverts back to the HDMI-Arc connected device. At this time there is no further information to share regarding a fix for this issue.

We appreciate your patience while we look into this.

I have this same problem with my new Sonos Beam.  I listen to TV via my BT headphones after others have gone to bed so as not to disturb them.  New Sonos Beam keeps switching back after a few minutes on Bluetooth to the Sonos speaker.  I am considering buying an HDMI switch to turn off the HDMI instead of plugging and unplugging as suggested.  Main issue is to make sure the switch handles HDMI Arc and CEC.  If this works (they come with a small remote you can use it to remotely disconnect the HDMI and switch it  the non used HDMI port on the switch.  Apparently the Samsung TV gives priority to any HDMI Arc connection over the bluetooth.

Adding my voice to this. Come on Patrick- please sort it out!! Can’t be that difficult to fix surely. 

Userlevel 1

I just bought a Sonos Arc and am experiencing the same issue. Still thinking about returning, this is unacceptable and I do not understand why Sonos does not do anything about it.

There are several other posts in the forum reporting similar issues, so this should be dealt with a higher priority.

Like others, I have the same challenge with my Samsung Q70R TV and Beam. I was going to go with the approach recommended by ratty, viz purchase a BT transmitter (Aventree) and connect it to TV optical digital audio output but cannot determine whether this output is active all the time or not. It would appear from the settings on TV that I have to explicitly switch to this (ie switch away from the HDMI selection to the optical for audio output). When I have done that on the Samsung, the HDMI “reclaims” the output audio signal after a couple of seconds (just as it does when I tried having BT ear buds connected).   So if I do go the BT transmitter route, does this mean I am going to have to either split the optical audio output from TV to go to the BT transmitter and in parallel the Beam, or daisy chain (if there is a BT transmitter which supports that)  ??.

I think the solution is for Sonos to allow a bluetooth connection from the Beam. As there is no bluetooth radio in the beam, this is not possible. They could have an off button in the app though. Then you wouldn't have to unplug it.
Badge

As long as it’s connected through HDMI-ARC and you have “AnyNet CEC” enabled in the TV settings, the beam will continue to “reclaim” the autio output of your TV.

The solution with something_else_than_the_beam connected to the TV digital-audio-out must work in combination with disabling AnyNet (ant thus leaving the beam connected to the TV’s HDMI) and only enabling it when you want TV Audio on the Beam (eg. watching a movie/concert :) )

The issue seems to be an HDMI-CEC issue, and not technically a Sonos issue, as near as I can tell. If you connect your Sonos via optical, I don't think you'd be having this issue. It's just the way that HDMI-CEC was designed to work, with a single set of outputs, not two.

Pretty much the same than ppl statement - in 2021, product designed without basic interaction capabilities that compete product allows without further tweaks is a down vote on the market. I’ll return my Sonos Arc for other compatible product that could allow a seamless experience across devices. Cheers.

+1 also waiting for a proper solution which doesn’t include me having to get up from the sofa unplugging anything. This missing feature is something I would think that you could toggle, especially since you’ve coded the beam to override whatever else me as an user tries to connect. Should be easy to toggle in the Sonos App!

Happy with the product otherwise, but as of right now it is hijacking my TV and solely claims ALL the rights to be the only soundsource. Just like an overly attached girlfriend. Actually really annoyed by this.

I was actually looking for a way to just turn off the beam, but that’s not possible from the app is it? does anybody know?

…. (never mind)

As long as it’s connected through HDMI-ARC and you have “AnyNet CEC” enabled in the TV settings, the beam will continue to “reclaim” the autio output of your TV.

The solution with something_else_than_the_beam connected to the TV digital-audio-out must work in combination with disabling AnyNet (ant thus leaving the beam connected to the TV’s HDMI) and only enabling it when you want TV Audio on the Beam (eg. watching a movie/concert :) )

Thanks for the response. However, I would like to make this as easy as possible to use since my wife will be using it and this may be a little beyond her patience level :).  I think I will go the optical digital output route - ie not use HDMI ARC (my understanding is that audio quality will not be affected since the beam doesn’t support the higher def codecs anyway) and I will daisy chain or split the digital optical to the beam and BT transmitter.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, same here, I am writing since I just found the same problem.  Just bought an LG C9 OLED and was super excited that I could simply use my AirPods, but this problem arose,  Saw the solution about a Bluetooth transmitter but how would I change the volume of my AirPods if they were connected to one? 

how would I change the volume of my AirPods if they were connected to one? 

Replace them with conventional earbuds/phones that let you change volume by touch instead of having to shout at Siri? 

Signing on to add my frustration to this issue. 

Please no cockamamie suggestions of buying yet another device for some mystic audio fidelity that I'm missing out on. I like my audio down and dirty, thank you. If I wanted to buy another device to slap onto my entertainment area I'd buy a fancy gumball machine. Or one of those cute little Buddha statues that doubles as a WiFi hotspot.

Sonos if some fancy millionaire can get a bunch of Americans into space you can fix this. I believe in you. 

hi everyone, i am dumbfounded that a fix is still not available...

Same issue as everyone. As a multi-product Sonos owner for over 5 years, very disappointed that there is isn’t some type of software solution yet. Following in hopes that enough voices cause some actions and I don’t have to question whether I continue to add to Sonos equipment. 

+1 exact same issue. 

LG Smart TV OLED55C8P

Sonos Beam and speakers and sub

Bose QC 35ii Headset

Some were suggesting to use the Optical output but I remember in my own case, the beam will only work with ARC and not the Optical.

I will try the HDMI disconnect method and bookmark this topic.

This is also my only reason for signing up to this forum. I am pulling out the HDMI cable every second night so I can use my headphones. Every time I do it I shake my head at the Sonos engineers and the product development team. Are we customers that irrelevant? This thread has gone on for a couple of years and no fix in sight.