Sonos Beam and Bose QC headphones in Samsung TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

154 replies

In today's era of automation, the headphones should be able to be taken off the charging station (once set up) and turned on. Then the audio output of sonos should move immediately to the headphones. No adjustments must be made in menus.
Sonos doesn't contain any means of driving headphones, Bluetooth or whatever. The headphones make a connection to the TV, and it's how the TV behaves that's the issue.

😫I can not suggest the proposed solution to my wife, who would ban the sonos from the house.

If you really care about fixing this then, as mentioned a number of times in this thread, just get a little, separate Bluetooth transmitter and hook it to the optical output of your TV. Your wife can then just turn on the headphones and they'd work. Turn down the volume on the Sonos player if it's not required for other viewers. The Bluetooth transmitter can most probably be powered from a USB port on the TV, so no need for another power socket.

As a result of this “feature”, I decided to sell my Sonos Beam. Its a shame but I just could not accept these workarounds, not for that price

Didn’t I respond to you in another thread a minute or two ago?

Connect either your Beam or your headphones to the optical output on your TV. 

Adding my +1. Same problem 😠
Hi,

I am glad, to find this thread:
Of course do I have the same problem:
My setup:
- Samsung TV UE49KU6519U
- Sonos Beam (1 day old)
- Bose QC 35 (paired to the TV)

My Problems:
a) same as yours
HDMI ARC connections steals audio back whenever I want to use the Bluetooth Headset.
b) can't listen with the Bluetooth Headset and the TV at once

Question:
I read, that a "TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver" connected to the Digital Out
of the TV and the Bluetooth Headset paired to it may solve problem "a".
Will this also enable me to use and listen with headset and the Beam at once?

Any help and advice is very welcome!

Kind Regards,

Jens
There was official response here and here.

If you have good Bluetooth headphones, presumably they support aptX-LL or at least aptX. TVs tend to use only SBC. In that case you're only likely to do justice to the expensive cans by using a compatible BT transmitter. Many take an optical feed, for example the Avantree Audikast. Mute the Beam when listening through headphones. Problem solved.
Yes, I ordered this setup to get both (Sonos Beam and the Bose QC35) working together:
- NEXTANY® 1 in 2 Out Digital Toslink Fiber Audio Optical Splitter Cable (Black)
- TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver, Digital Optical TOSLINK
and 3.5mm Wireless Audio Adapter for TV/Home Stereo System - aptX Low Latency
Sorry, these are the exact description, if you like to search and find them.

Samsung TV (Optical Out) > Toslink Optical Splitter > Bluetooth Transmitter > Bose QC35
> Sonos Beam

Unfortunately the Transmitter is not able to accept the Bose QC35 after a day without
power. Such I have to drop the paired device. Reset the TaoTronics and repair again.
But this has nothing to do with Sonos.
Unfortunately the Transmitter is not able to accept the Bose QC35 after a day without
power. Such I have to drop the paired device. Reset the TaoTronics and repair again.
But this has nothing to do with Sonos.

I've found the TaoTronics kit to be somewhat capricious. Sometimes it helps to power up the receiver end first. Avantree is generally more dependable (and more expensive).
I was very interested in adding the the new Amp to my equipment, but until this issue is resolved, no. Not a chance.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I’m having the same problem here. Been using Sony Bluetooth headphones with my Sony A1 E without problems. I recently purchased the Sonos Beam and now can’t use the headphones without disconnecting the Beam from the TV. This really is unacceptable. I use my headphones several times a week so may have to return the beam.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Can someone from Sonos please provide an update for this issue? I see it's been 7 months since the original post was made.
I found out I can't even return my beam as the the returns policy in my country will only allow exchange like for like. Unplugging the Beam everyday to use headphones is getting old fast.
I noticed this 'feature' the first day I connected my new Beam. I like my Bose QuietComfort headphones a lot more than this soundbar. I'll try turning off the CEC controll on the LG SIMPLINK settings for a few more days, and if it's too much of a pain I'll be taking it back to the retailer.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
+1 have to unplug Beam to use Bose qc 35 ii headphones
For all the angst being expressed, I do wish people would read the earlier posts in this thread.

As per this post, the simplest solution as it stands is to use an external Bluetooth transmitter, wired to the TV's optical output. Completely independent of the Beam, and moreover capable of delivering better quality/latency than the TV's internal Bluetooth.
My Setup: 2019 Samsung TV w/ smart remote + Sonos Beam + Sennheiser 185 wireless headphones

Problem: I can't quickly turn off the sound to my Sonos Beam so I can listen to the TV privately using wireless headphones so the rest of my family can sleep.

Methods Tried and Passed On:
I tried most of them... optical switch w/ remote, wireless on/off receptacle plug w/remote, Bluetooth transmitter, etc. I was able to get these various methods to work but they were too cumbersome, too many buttons, and/or took too much time.

BEST SOLUTION FOR MY SETUP

To Turn OFF Sonos Beam and Turn ON Wireless Headphones - Follow Two Steps:
Step One: Using your Samsung smart remote, press the microphone button** and say the following exactly: "Settings Any Net Plus". Say it slowly like a robot. Brief pause between "settings" and "any net plus". It will bring up the correct settings menu. Press select (that's the center round button inside the round navigation ring). Done. You have just turned off the HDMI ARC connection with the Sonos Beam.

Step Two: Using your Samsung smart remote, press the microphone button and say the following exactly like a slow robot: "Sound Select Optical". Immediately upon hearing the verbal command the Samsung TV will makes the switch for you. No button to push. You are done! Sound will now go only to your wireless headphones and sound to your TV speakers is turned off.

**Note: To use the Samsung's smart remote verbal commands button you can't be inside Netflix or Amazon Prime or similar apps. So before you do step one and step two above do this: press the home button on the remote (the button that has a house on it!) and then toggle to the left and select the app tile that looks like a white TV with light blue background. When in this app, you can give verbal commands with no problems. This is the fastest way to get out of an app that won't take verbal commands and into an app that allows for verbal commands.

To Turn Back ON the Sonos Beam - Only One Step:
Step One: Using your Samsung smart remote, press the microphone button and say the following exactly: "Settings Any Net Plus". Say it slowly like a robot. It will bring up the correct settings menu. Press select (that's the center round button inside the round navigation ring). Done. That's it. You have just turned on the HDMI ARC connection with the Sonos Beam. Sonos Beam is up and running automatically.

Commentary
With this method you don't have to buy any additional gadgets. For fun I timed how long this method takes. It takes less than 18 seconds to turn Sonos Beam off and your headphones on and less than 10 seconds to turn the Sonos Beam back on. Hopefully this will help those of you looking for a solution with a setup like mine. Headphone Auto Detect it is not. One button press solution it isn't either. That said, this is a fast and user friendly solution that I can do on a regular basis without having to hit my head against a wall and laugh at the irony of paying extra for an intuitive, user friendly tv/sound system that won't support how I use my TV. I have used this method for a few weeks now and I can report that I am happy enough and there is enough distance between my discovery of this lack of functionality and this workable solution that I can get back to enjoying my Sonos Beam purchase without giving it the evil eye and mumbling under my breath.
For all the angst being expressed, I do wish people would read the earlier posts in this thread.

As per this post, the simplest solution as it stands is to use an external Bluetooth transmitter, wired to the TV's optical output. Completely independent of the Beam, and moreover capable of delivering better quality/latency than the TV's internal Bluetooth.

The response from the user below your post states that this did not work for him. Also, I do not regard the purchase of an external blutooth transmitter to be a reasonable solution to what seems to be a fundamental design flaw in the Beam.

What makes you think that there isn't an issue with the Samsung TV? That's also a common factor here.

As for the user below my original post, he chose to try one of the cheaper Bluetooth transmitters. In my experience you get what you pay for, and a more dependable solution from a brand such as Avantree in fact costs only a few dollars more.

But if you'd rather stick to your principles than consider a solution which is not only inexpensive but also actually offers better audio performance and user flexibility, that's entirely your choice.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Interesting bit from the Samsung Q60 manual which kind of jives with Sonos recommendation.

“When the TV is connected to an external device such as a DVD/BD player or a set-top box via HDMI, power sync mode will be automatically activated. In the power sync mode, the TV continues to detect and connect external devices via HDMI cable. This function can be deactivated by removing the HDMI cable of the connected device.”
Badge

Hi everybody,

My new SONOS Beam arrived yesterday, and I’m encountering the same issue like everybody else here: when connected through the ARC, the beam “steals” the audio from the TV (Samsung UE40F6200) after ~2 seconds; disabling AnyNet+ in the TV fixes the problem, but as many have said before me, this is in no way a proper & desirable approach...

As happy as I am about the sound quality of the Beam, it’s a huge & unexpected disappointment that SONOS did nothing to address this (clearly annoying for everybody) issue during all this time…

I’m still hoping…

Cheers !

PS. the root of this problem does not involve headphones at all.

Sometimes one might simply wish to use the normal built-in TV speakers (eg. for watching news), and you cannot do that. In my case, if I switch it to “speakers”, it stays like that for ~2 seconds, and then the SONOS kicks in and “steals” the sound.

SAME PROBLEM WITH NEW SONOS AMP.

Paid £599 pounds for asmall, low power amp and it wont let me connect my Sennheisser PXC550 headphones at night.

They released the AMP with the marketing giving its main USP that it had been set up for TV, except they knew it disabled a core functionality.

Outrageous.

I think in comparison to the general amp market, it's a stretch to call the amp low powered, but I suppose it's a matter of opinion. As far as being able to connect headphones and the Beam at the same time, I wouldn't call it core functionality, but again opinions vary.

I would absolutely agree though that Sonos should do a better job of communicating this issue in their support/troubleshooting section, as I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

I expect a full refund, inuding my speakers and speaker cables if an update isnt rushed out.

Sonos can refund anything you purchase from them, and the policy is fully stated, but you know they can't refund what you purchased from some other vendor. Why would you expect something like this?

This is really pathetic and what one would expect of apple, come on Sonos, the Venn diagram of the type of people who would buy a Sonos AMP / Soundbar and who also listen to wireless headphones in the evening is pretty large.

I'd be curious to see where you're getting your data from.

Either Sonos dont know their customers, dont care about their customers or their beta testing program involves me, in which case I require a refund and asalary thanks.

Clearly a miss though, but I don't think it's too hard to see how this could have been missed in testing and beta testing. It's the sort of thing I've seen missed in testing due to degrees of separation from your actual produc

Very upset the apparent market leader released a new product without mentioning a known fault.

Again, agree. Sonos should do a better job of mentioning this. I don't think it needs to be on the product packaging or in website ads and such, but it really should be mentioned in support troubleshooting as a known issue, IMO.
A small external Bluetooth transmitter fed from the TV's optical output offers more flexibility, better codec quality, and improved lip-sync. Clunky workaround? It's in fact an upgrade.
My Setup: 2019 Samsung TV w/ smart remote + Sonos Beam + Sennheiser 185 wireless headphones

Problem: I can't quickly turn off the sound to my Sonos Beam so I can listen to the TV privately using wireless headphones so the rest of my family can sleep.

Your solution seems amazingly convoluted.

Your RS185 'phones have both optical and analog input. I assume you're using optical, which would receive a signal from the TV at all times. All you need to do therefore is pick up the headphones and turn them on.

As for the Beam, why on earth don't you just mute it. If the 'smart remote' somehow has trouble passing the command through the HDMI-CEC from the TV then simply train the Beam to respond to IR codes and use that. Heck, if even that's a problem you could just long-touch the volume-down button on the Beam to mute it when you walk up to the TV to collect the headphones.
+1

Exactly the same problem here with LG OLED C8+Beam+JBL bluethooth headphone, hope the issue will be solved soon
Could someone be so kind as to explain why this is a problem that Sonos is the one to fix? From what I can understand, the issue is with HDMI-CEC, and the fact that a connected device has priority. I am not an engineer, but my understanding of the HDMI-CEC API doesn't have a setup to control two differing audio devices at the same time. And if I'm not understanding it correctly, wouldn't the issue be something that has to be "fixed" on the TV side of things, rather than on Sonos? In this instance, Sonos is only a "client" device, telling the Hub (your TV) what it is, and the hub/TV has to decide where to send the necessary audio signal.

What am I misunderstanding here?

Just discovered this, what a nightmare. Please just make it optional as a minimum. 

Really disappointed 

Same here.

should've been fixed already 😫

This remains a ‘feature’ of CEC, which Sonos has no control over changing the specifications of.