Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
This seems to me to be an absolute no-brainer, this is marketed as a premium home cinema product, but it will force many people (including me) without appropriately compatible TVs to watch films on reduced quality DVDs in order to get sound. That's clearly not acceptable. I have seen some suggestion that it is a licensing issue, and taht the license would cost around £30 per person. Well, if you have already spent £1200 on the bar and sub then I can't see too many people resisting a further £30 to get this capability. I for one would send Sonos the payment now...
Userlevel 1
This weekend it happened for the first time ever, I had to not recommend a SONOS product to a friend... I really hope that DTS is integrated soon, so we all can go back to feeling good having invested so much in SONOS products...
At first, I thought the lack of DTS support wouldn't trouble me too much, but it ends up being really frustrating! I purchased a Blu Ray player to go with my new set up, but have very few options when it comes to BDs with Dolby Digital. Sure, I can always scale back to Stereo PCM, but it just seems so absurd and ends up frustrating.
Please add DTS support for the Playbar. I would then be more than happy to purchase one with a sub!
No DTS = No Playbar Glad I found this forum - I was about to order the Playbar to be added add to my existing Sonos system (4x Play 3, 1x Play 5, Bridge).
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
In just 49 days DTS support has easily become a Top 10 idea on ask.sonos.com, with an average in excess of three votes per day. Says it all really.
Badge
Of course DTS is required. It's table stakes for this game.
Hello Sonos, another vote for DTS. ...without DTS the PlayBar is like a car with only three wheel's.... You may not see ist at first, but You will hardly notice it, when You are trying to use it. ...so please make the PlayBar complete!
The playbar is really great, but without DTS support absolutly useless for all new blue-ray movies! Add DTS as soon as possible!
I want DTS support as well, so please add it ASAP.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
DTS please I'm looking to buy one but hold off till DTS is supported
As soon as the playbar has DTS support for my blu rays I will purchase one to go with my sub and two play 3's. Until then I'm sticking with my LG 5.1 and will need to keep 2 systems on the go!
Recently purchased playbar , and its a great piece of kit, but the dts issue is deeply troubling, as a consequence I will not be investing anymore cash in this surround system, or recommending it to others.
Most of my media content is dts...SONOS, you NEED to add this. Whether a TV supports DTS throughput is irrelevant as most probably don't even have a TV that supports DD5.1. I know mine didn't. I had to go with an HDMI switch and it works fabulously even though you won't support it. I am ok with the lack of support, just not ok with a lack of DTS.
Userlevel 2
So disappointed and frustrated - just received my Playbar and it's stunning except for one point; let's hope it's just a matter of time before SONOS do the right thing and implement dts.
I'm incredibly disappointed.. Disappointed is not a word I have ever associated with Sonos having already picked up Play5 & Play3, not to mention helped some friends get kitted out.. Picked up my AU$999 (that's US$1040 - we pay extra for the pleasure of living in Australia) Playbar 2 days ago. It took a lot longer to unwire my trusty old Samsung 5.1 system than to assemble the Sonos.... But no sound from most of my movies!! Please Sonos.. if there is a potential fix for this, please move it to the top of your priority list. Your reputation for quality is taking a hit. If there is no chance of an update, please make this clear ASAP so that your customers can return their purchases within the accepted time period.
I have a playbar, and DTS seems that should be added as blu-rays often only have DTS.....
The joy of our new Playbar is being squashed every time we look at the Blue Ray Discs just sitting there mocking us with their silence. Let's have a far more affirmative statement (positive or heaven forbid negative) from SONOS rather than the bland 'it's on the list'.
Having bought a playbar and sub I am very disappointed that it does not support DTS. 90% of my blu-rays are DTS whilst only 30% are Dolby Digital 5.1.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I can’t see This bandwidth issue being true as I would think the play bar would do the decoding then stream the audio to the rest of the system if it can do it for DD5.1 I can’t see it being an issue with DTS as the decoded channels should be much the same or am I missing something?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
This bandwidth issue keeps coming up after some apparent finger in the air speculation from a dealer. I believe this has already been answered many times, in an official capacity, and there is no issue with adding DTS later. Saying that though, if it is possible, I'm wondering why it wasn't added in the first place? You wouldn't expect cost to be a constraint on a premium product.
Userlevel 1
This! My fear is that there is a technical reason it wasn't included and its not physically possible due to bandwidth issues to the satellite speakers.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Please could we get an update from Sonos on the rationale for leaving DTS out and the likelihood of it being added? Thank you.
Userlevel 1
A week in to my relationship with the PLAYBAR... It will now get moved in to the kids room, where there are no need to watch blue ray... To bad, i really liked the setup, and was about to take down all the speakers from the old system... And it is defiantly delivering way better sound than the kids will ever need. I know how SONOS recommends the setup, but I'm still quite surprised that they left out DTS and made a great product lack all flexibility for any other type of connection scenario.
Userlevel 1
Apples to oranges. You can't compaire a wired low end POS like that to something like the Playbar with its sub + sat speakers. You can't make the assumption that this is licensing. Right now my personal speculation is bandwidth to the satellite speakers from the Playbar. Or possibly Sonos miscalculated, as a newbie in the home theatre audio market, how much demand there would be for this. But again: speculation. We don't know jack right now. I'd bet money they are in their labs trying to figure out how this might be done if at all.