Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Badge +18
Plz can some guru or sonos rep tell me why 1: no HDMI 2: no DTS 3: crossover frequency and freq response for playbar in spec sheet or for that matter other sonos components.
Hi djay, Sonos made a deliberate design decision not to include an HDMI port on the PLAYBAR. We expect that more and more video will be streamed directly from the internet to the TV and in this case the optical output is by far the easiest and best way to stream audio to PLAYBAR. DTS support was not included in part because the vast majority of televisions do not pass DTS audio from their optical ports. This topic is currently marked as Under Consideration as a possible future enhancement. Sonos does not provide these figures because we do not believe that specs tell the whole story. This is consistent with all other Sonos products. Thanks.
Plz can some guru or sonos rep tell me why 1: no HDMI 2: no DTS 3: crossover frequency and freq response for playbar in spec sheet or for that matter other sonos components.
Rather upset at the lack of DTS, have the playbar and two Play:3s setup, Sub on the way. Please implement this 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
On average, more than two requests per day have been added to this thread since it was originally posted. Says it all really.
Userlevel 1
I would love to see DTS support please. I have one Playbar on the way but with DTS I will get another sub and a couple more Playbars. Love my Sonos system 🙂
Please include DTS support so I can buy this product! I would also plan on the 5.1 setup with Sonos but without DTS no way...
Along with no DTS support...why not add 4XHDMI in. Sonos always touts the ease of use so why not add to it and make it the nerve center of media room, is it that expensive? i hate to say is sonos turning into bose v2.0. there are so many user who are trying to find a work around this prob. and still paying heft price for sonos. on the weekend i listen to sonos 5.1 sys in BB, here are my impression ill keep it short... 1: The system lacked cohesion as whole, may be the setup was wrong. 2: Speakers are tad bright and may lead to listening fatigue. 3: Impressive for movies not for music. So-No... till i see steps in right direction
magnolia design center in chicago
Userlevel 3
Along with no DTS support...why not add 4XHDMI in. Sonos always touts the ease of use so why not add to it and make it the nerve center of media room, is it that expensive? i hate to say is sonos turning into bose v2.0. there are so many user who are trying to find a work around this prob. and still paying heft price for sonos. on the weekend i listen to sonos 5.1 sys in BB, here are my impression ill keep it short... 1: The system lacked cohesion as whole, may be the setup was wrong. 2: Speakers are tad bright and may lead to listening fatigue. 3: Impressive for movies not for music. So-No... till i see steps in right direction
Which BB did you go to? The local one didn't even have the sub on display.
Userlevel 1
In the spirit of transparency, I wanted to add that I have actually now ordered a Playbar. If something official on DTS does not come out in the next week or so from Sonos, I will 100% return it. With that said, I wanted to gauge the sound quality of the device in general. If the sound quality is where I expect it to be, I will return it and continue to wait for DTS support. If the sound quality is not where I would expect from a $700 soundbar, I didn't want to be waiting around for weeks/months waiting on word about DTS only to be disappointed in the overall sound later if/when I finally do order.
Please add DTS support! I am holding off on buying a Playbar until this codec is included because I have way too many movies and mkvs that use this format.
Userlevel 1
I cannot see this topic "Under consideration" section. This is important because I am not happy listening to blu-ray disks in stereo because DTS is not supported.
Please add this. I am seriously considering taking mine back. Too many Blu rays are ruined by this lack of support.
Badge +1
Sonos is making quality equipment, let's get the all the good stuff in there. Please include DTS!
Userlevel 1
Hi, Just a little detail... You say you have marked this "Under consideration" but that can not be seen on this thread (as with the other ones that are under consideration...) Is it just a delay in the update of the forum or a mistake? I think you have a great potential here, so please do not miss this opportunity! Keep up the good work!
Please add DTS. I am long time sonos fans.... really want to pull the trigger on the playbar and the SUB but not until it support DTS. and or I can just keep my Rotel AV amp and do a output to the playbar.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've just glanced down the list of 'popular ideas' and whilst all are desirable this is the only topic which stops a potential purchase. Surely it makes commercial sense to fast track the implementation of DTS in the PlayBar - especially when it's a relatively simple codec issue...
Userlevel 1
I can only agree with the rest! Please add DTS please! I think quite a few of your customers are interested in good sound quality, and that would include while watching movies too. And yes, if it means I would have to pay extra for any licenses that would probably not be the end of the world after spending the sums I have so far on SONOS components...
Having a Samsung UE46D6200 tv and almost always have DTS audio on movies that i play. The playbar right now stays silent until i switch to PCM audio downmixing. I'm very suprised that the Playbar didnt support DTS, so please add it!
I use the Octava HD41 ARC in my current system due to my AVR not having HDMI switching and my old TV only had 1 HDMI input. It works great, automatically switches between sources and is a straight pass through - I have experienced no audio or visual degradation. With the 4 inputs on the 41 it also allows you to watch and listen to two different sources. I haven't tried it with a Playbar as I'm waiting for DTS, but if that happens I plan to use it so I can have multiple optical inputs into the system. I have an XBox, Blu Ray and DirecTV box all connected at this time with room for one more component if needed. I haven't done the EDID firmware update to my 41 so can only speak to the fact the unit does what it says it's supposed to do. My experience with the company has been very good as well, I purchased directly from Octava, I contacted support once on a technical question and they responded with the answer within hours. Would suggest reaching out to their support team with any implementation/limitation questions. It looks like your TV needs ARC and this doesn't appear to solve the DTS decoding issue.
Userlevel 1
Has anyone tried the Octava HD11-ARC HDMI Audio Converter? https://octavainc.com/HDMI-Audio-Converter-EDID-Manager.html I'm curious how well it works. From Octava's description: ------------------------------------ The HD11-ARC HDMI Audio Converter will extract HDMI audio to its Optical digital audio output for easy integration with your existing Surround Sound System. The HD11-ARC can extract audio from any HDMI source including an ARC enabled HDTV. The HD11-ARC can be configured as an EDID Emulator allowing you to ‘force’ your Source to output your preferred Video and Audio signal format – ideal where you want to force your Source to Output the native resolution of your Display device or Output 5.1 audio when your connected Display device only supports Stereo audio. EDID can be loaded into the HD11-ARC via the usb port.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Totally agree, the sound on TVs nowadays is pretty poor. Sonos isn't just losing 1 sale per customer because of the lack of DTS it's losing the potential purchase for other TVs in the household. It would also be good to hear an official announcement from Sonos, 'under consideration' is encouraging but in reality means nothing to a potential buyer.
Userlevel 1
I really want to try out a Playbar but without DTS support, I already know it doesn't meet all my needs. If the Playbar sounds as I expect it to, and had basic HT features like DTS, there is a good chance I would purchase 3X Playbars,1-3X subs and 2X Play3s over time. If the sound is decent, I would start with a Playbar in the spare bedroom where the kids watch movies and in the living room. If the sound is more than decent, the current HT setup might get replaced with a full 5.1 system from Sonos and the other rooms would get upgraded with subs over time. With all of this said, there is no way I am heading down this path with a $700 component that doesn't even have what should be considered a standard feature on even solutions that cost far less. As an fyi, I already have 2X Play5s and 1X Play3 so I am already invested in the Sonos system. One good start, and maybe I missed it, would be an official statement from Sonos on DTS. I have seen speculation that DTS support technically "could" be added in a future firmware update. I also have read the speculation that not adding DTS is related to cost. Both of those items make sense and seem correct but until something official comes out, I don't know if they are true. What if there is a technical reason for not adding DTS support and in reality it can never happen on the current platform? This would end up being a long term point of frustration for all of the people that purchase the platform on the premise that "Sonos will have to step up someday and add DTS so I will buy early and just wait it out". IMO, Sonos does have to add DTS support or this platform will never be taken seriously but that doesn't mean they can or will.
Add me to the list of wanting DTS for the playbar
Crap! I have to return my Playbar now since I can't play my DTS movies through my LG TV Apps. Otherwise satisfied so I will probably purchase one if/when DTS is enabled.