Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

+1 on DTS support 🙂
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
1) you must look at the table on page 10 5) I agree. but even with a blu ray only with DTS tracks it works perfectly with a 5.1 sound.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
User457346 (with the Samsung Player), Sorry, I must say again, this is not a solution. 1) From page 6 of the user manual: Audio output from a DTS DVD is DTS, not Dolby Digital. Therefore PLAYBAR will produced "unsupported" silence when playing a DTS DVD. 2) From page 11 on the user manual: "If the HDMI device (AV receiver, TV) is not compatible with compressed formats (Dolby Digital, DTS), the audio signal outputs as PCM." Therefore PLAYBAR will receive a 2-channel stereo signal, not 5.1. 3) From page 11 on the user manual: "If your TV is not compatible with compressed multi-channel formats (Dolby Digital, DTS), the player may output PCM 2ch downmixed audio even though you selected Bitstream (either Reencoded or Unprocessed) in the setup menu" Therefore PLAYBAR may receive a 2-channel stereo signal, not 5.1. 4 )From page 19 of the user manual: Specifications - Digital Audio Output - Coaxial. PLAYBAR requires an optical input. 5) This only helps blu-ray sources, it won't help those with ripped blu-ray files or DVDs that have been encoded in DTS format.
Userlevel 1
Having to buy another piece of equipment to make up for no DTS support on a $700 soundbar is not a solution. It is an inconvienient workaround at best and it should not be necessary when working with a high quality product.
As Ben indicated, this is not a solution.
BD-F5100 Look the manual : http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201303/20130305105046122/IB_BD-F5100_XU-0304_BM.pdf
which samsung player have you bought?
I tested with and without the function of re-encoding in Dolby. Whitout I have no sound and with this function I have the sound in Dolby in the playbar and dts track is selected on the player.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Sorry, you are incorrect. Some blu-ray discs provide a "secondary audio" capability. This outputs an alternative audio track that is provided on the disc. For Dolby True HD discs, the secondary audio is in Dolby Digital - for those with older amplifiers without HDMI connection. For DTS-MA discs, the secondary audio will be either in Dolby Digital or in DTS. On The Town, the secondary audio track will likely be Dolby digital. The player can then output this and it will work with PLAYBAR. However, with discs like Superman blu-ray, Secondary Audio is in DTS. The player will not "convert" the audio, and PLAYBAR will emit silence. Your player is not helping here, only your choice of movie.
Please add DTS support.
Will buy playbar and sub if DTS support confirmed for firmware upgrade. Otherwise it's the B&W Panorama 2!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I admire those who have taken the option to return the product during the approval period. If you don't buy, and post here to explain why, this may encourage Sonos to implement DTS. I you do buy and you return it, explaining why, this makes a true statement. But if you buy the product, aren't happy with the lack of DTS support but then keep it - you're effectively a satisfied customer. There are ideas on this site, with more votes than DTS, that are now over 7 months old. Which are Sonos likely going to implement first? If you think they will add DTS support soon, you may be in for a long wait.
Userlevel 1
This is exactly the issue. Tonight we plan to watch a film recently released on Blu-ray. But we can only watch it with stereo sound, because as with most Blu-rays it has DTS soundtrack only. If we watch the film with DTS output from Blu-ray player we get silence. Its a little frustrating to say the least.
Please add DTS gk 06apr13
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
My concern here is that Sonos may see the first month of sales and decide that the product is doing just fine without DTS and they don't need to add it. They will have had target sales numbers in mind and, if they are reached, they won't perceive a problem with the product reaching their intended target market and simply won't add the extra function. As with other comments above, I've now lost count of how many people I have actually recommend do not buy this product due to the limitation. It seems to me that you either have a TV set that won't pass through Dolby Digital/DTS from external sources, at which point adding 2 X PLAY:3 and a SUB is perhaps a waste of money. Or you have a TV that will pass through audio bitstreams and then, if you put on a DTS disc, you end up with silence - and have wasted your money. If this product was only designed for those who didn't appreciate high quality surround sound, then why did they put in all the time making the PLAY:3 units work as surround speakers? There is now a TV advert showing in the UK for PLAYBAR that makes numerous claims and implies it will play any music in the world. Well, it won't if that music is coming from a DTS disc, will it?
The missing DTS support is a absolutely deal breaker and unbelievable. The 5.1 feature of the playbar is totally useless for me as the playbar can not play half of my bluerays. Please Sonos don't wait 7 months to change this topic from “Under Consideration” to whatever. Clarify this topic now! Otherwise I have to buy another sound system.
Seems crazy to introduce a product like this without DTS support? I would say that DTS is a functionality consumers assumes in all products in this price range today. I think you did a terrible mistake introducing soundbar without it.
I was just about ready to purchase the playbar and the sub, but a colleague told me about the lack of DTS support. No idea why SONOS chose to not include it, but hopefully it gets added in the future. Its upsetting becasue this was going to be my first sonos purchase... i already planned out what rooms id be adding and everything. Unfortunately, I cant get behind the playbar (although i REALLY want to) with its lack of DTS support. SONOS, PLEASE ADD DTS!!!
For a system that works so well in all other aspects, it's a real let down that the Playbar doesn't support DTS....
I agree with the other comments about adding DTS. The problem is that in order to get a DTS signal to the Playbar, you need to connect it to something other than a TV (with some limited exceptions). That's not what SONOS intended and that's why they included the simulated 5.1 capability, which probably cost them a lot of time and money to develop. If I purchased a Playbar, I would do like most people in this thread and connect it directly to my Bluray player in order to get true 5.1 surround. Without support for DTS though, I won't even consider buying one.
Yeah, that's a pain and I agree you shouldn't have to do that. Sonos made some curious decisions when designing this product. By the way, are you getting DTS from an external source connected to your tv via HDMI, or from a "smart" feature of your tv (e.g. one of the streaming services)? Either way, I'm jealous that you can get DTS. I'm pretty sure my tv only supports 5.1 DD from a "smart" service and 2.0 from connected sources.
Userlevel 1
I am thoroughly in favour of DTS being added to the Playbar, and if Sonos really believed that people would buy this and be happy connecting it to the TV and not even getting Dolby Digital 5.1(which, although the Playbar can decode, most TV's won't pass through the signal for it to do so), then that suggests a flaw in the market research that was done before deciding on the appropriate inputs/capability. That said, some people on here do seem to be suggesting that Blu-rays with DTS-only soundtracks are silent and redundant, when that does not need to be the case. You can get sound from Blu-ray with a DTS-HD soundtrack by connecting the BD player directly to the Playbar and then setting the BD player to output PCM via optical whenever the disc only has a DTS signal (ie it should not be necessary to persistently switch the BD player's output). The Playbar then takes the PCM signal and attempts to recreate the surround effects. Now before the audiophiles start shouting, I'm not saying this is the same as true 5.1, and clearly DTS-HD should be added to the Playbar's capability, but at least it means that Blu-ray discs are not entirely redundant, as some appear to be suggesting. I have yet to be able to properly compare the recreated sound with the sound from Dolby Digital soundtracks, and I assume there will be a significant drop-off in terms of surround effects, but it is at least a stop-gap whilst we wait for Sonos to bit the bullet and upgrade to DTS...
I subscribe to a well known film rental company run using the postal service. I used to enjoy the full HD experience Blu-rays offer. But having watched a few films using the Playbar and sound down-mixed to PCM 2 channel stereo I have now started renting DVDs again. At least I can enjoy the DD 5.1 soundtrack. Once you down-mix a DTS soundtrack to 2 channel stereo no amount of processing gets you that true surround sound back. It just does not sound good enough. So while saying Blu-rays are redundant with the Playbar is not exactly true, its not that far from the mark. It is a shame because everything else the Sonos system does is great.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am thoroughly in favour of DTS being added to the Playbar, and if Sonos really believed that people would buy this and be happy connecting it to the TV and not even getting Dolby Digital 5.1(which, although the Playbar can decode, most TV's won't pass through the signal for it to do so), then that suggests a flaw in the market research that was done before deciding on the appropriate inputs/capability. That said, some people on here do seem to be suggesting that Blu-rays with DTS-only soundtracks are silent and redundant, when that does not need to be the case. You can get sound from Blu-ray with a DTS-HD soundtrack by connecting the BD player directly to the Playbar and then setting the BD player to output PCM via optical whenever the disc only has a DTS signal (ie it should not be necessary to persistently switch the BD player's output). The Playbar then takes the PCM signal and attempts to recreate the surround effects. Now before the audiophiles start shouting, I'm not saying this is the same as true 5.1, and clearly DTS-HD should be added to the Playbar's capability, but at least it means that Blu-ray discs are not entirely redundant, as some appear to be suggesting. I have yet to be able to properly compare the recreated sound with the sound from Dolby Digital soundtracks, and I assume there will be a significant drop-off in terms of surround effects, but it is at least a stop-gap whilst we wait for Sonos to bit the bullet and upgrade to DTS...
Userlevel 1
I agree with the other comments about adding DTS. The problem is that in order to get a DTS signal to the Playbar, you need to connect it to something other than a TV (with some limited exceptions). That's not what SONOS intended and that's why they included the simulated 5.1 capability, which probably cost them a lot of time and money to develop. If I purchased a Playbar, I would do like most people in this thread and connect it directly to my Bluray player in order to get true 5.1 surround. Without support for DTS though, I won't even consider buying one.
I can get DTS audio directly from my TV. I can hook up the Playbar as directed per the instructions and it still does not work as it should. I should not have to be inconvenienced by having to go to my menu on my TV everytime I watch something that has only DTS audio and switch to PCM audio.