Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Badge +1
Did everyone see this on the live Q&A with the Playbar Engineers? COMMENT FROM JOEP Will the playbar support DTS? Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:20 HILMAR LEHNERT: Currently we don't support DTS as it's unlikely to be found on a optical output or and HDMI ARC. It's currently also not used for internet streaming either. Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:21 HILMAR LEHNERT: We could add it later through a software update Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:22 Here is the full Q&A https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/exclusive_live_chat_with_playbar_developers
I'm finding that Netflix doesn't stream a lot of content with 5.1 - GRRR
Interesting... That seems to suggest that Wireless DTS is technically at least a possibility but let's hear it from SONOS Guys, please respond...
Hi Mike C, I'm on the verge of returning my PLAYBAR because of the lack of DTS, so some sort of comment yay or nay would be very appreciated..
Userlevel 3
Interesting... That seems to suggest that Wireless DTS is technically at least a possibility but let's hear it from SONOS Guys, please respond...
Hello Sander, Hilmar is our lead product architect and developer for the PLAYBAR. Best Regards Mike
Userlevel 1
i agree with sander, that the DTS may have more to do with bandwidth supported by the sonos net 2.0. also does DTS requires an additional chip to do the processing or can it be achieved using the existing HW in playbar and a software update?
Userlevel 1
Did everyone see this on the live Q&A with the Playbar Engineers? COMMENT FROM JOEP Will the playbar support DTS? Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:20 HILMAR LEHNERT: Currently we don't support DTS as it's unlikely to be found on a optical output or and HDMI ARC. It's currently also not used for internet streaming either. Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:21 HILMAR LEHNERT: We could add it later through a software update Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:22 Here is the full Q&A https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/exclusive_live_chat_with_playbar_developers
Userlevel 1
"I WISH SONOS WAS WILLING TO SIMPLY GIVE US A REAL ANSWER AS TO WHY DTS SUPPORT FOR THE PLAYBAR WAS NOT INCLUDED FROM DAY ONE... " That is my biggest concern at this point. Without anything official from Sonos, I can't make a long term commitment on the Playbar. TBH, unless an official comment comes from Sonos on this subject very soon, I think we have to assume "no comment" is the official statement. That would lead me to believe that there are technical limitations stopping Sonos from adding DTS support and not just a licensing concern that can be fixed with a software update in the future. Either way, the Playbar I purchased is going back this week. It does sound very good but without DTS support, I do not think it is worth a purchase price of $700. Without DTS support, I would consider this in the midlevel soundbar or Play5 price range of $400.
Userlevel 1
I agree; DTS support is not a nice-to-have but a basic requirement! http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/sonos-playbar/4505-7868_7-35609166-2.html I just spend EUR 2,000 on the complete SONOS 5.1 setup and the "upmixed" output on the 2 rear Play 3s while playing Game of Thrones from a regular DVD box is inconsistent and disappointing. NOTE: as stated in attached Playbar review, when you DO directly link your Blu-Ray DVD player to the Playbar via optical out, it DOES deliver a very good Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack as the movie director intended. As such I also bought AU-D41 Optical Audio Switcher which at least ensures that true Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus signal does not get degraded to PCM 2.0 stereo signal by the TV. This optical audi switcher does not produce any delays and costs just GBP 51; see below This does leave 2 issues: 1. Still my SONOS Playbar can't play any DTS content from Blu-Ray DVDs and as such my Game of Thrones Blu-Ray Season 2 box seems wasted. Unless... I again put the TV between the Blu-Ray DVD player and my Playbar but this results in an upmixed Dolby Prologic (fake 5.1) sound which doesn't convince or use the Play 3 rear channels consistently 2. SONOS decided last year not to deliver the SONOS subwoofer in matt black at GBP 100 discount yet had to reverse that decision after strong public demand on this forum. What would it take for SONOS to be honest about the lack of DTS support on the Playbar? Why does a GBP 250 home cinema set support DTS and my GBP 1,700 SONOS does not??? I don't believe for 1 minute that this is due to DTS licensing costs My SONOS dealer tells me that true DTS signal takes a lot more bandwidth than Dolby Digital 5.1 and that the SONOS wireless technology can't cope with this without causing too much delays/skipping sound. I WISH SONOS WAS WILLING TO SIMPLY GIVE US A REAL ANSWER AS TO WHY DTS SUPPORT FOR THE PLAYBAR WAS NOT INCLUDED FROM DAY ONE... http://www.simplysoundandvision.co.uk/acatalog/Installation_Accessories.html#aCYP_20AU_2dD41 The AU-D41 Optical Audio Switcher is ideal for use with the Sonos PLAYBAR if your television only has 2 channel Stereo from its optical output as the AU-D41 will send a 5.1 soundtrack from your sources to the PLAYBAR without downgrading them to a 2 channel signal. The AU-D41 has four optical inputs and one optical output. This device allows you to connect up to four optical sources to your PLAYBAR, for example your Blu-ray, Sky HD etc in addition to the TV with the ability to switch between sources whilst connected to your PLAYBAR. All signals are bypassed without delay. This device has 'last memory function' and an IR remote control for convenient use.
Userlevel 1
From a product perspective the missing item is a SonosConnect with a digital input and no lag. I don't really care about the speakers on the Playbar. What I want is to get audio from the TV system into the rest of my Sonos kit without a 500ms lag.
I have to agree with Paul about the lack of DTS rendering BluRays unwatchable. Some BluRays state DTS, so it's obvious they won't work until support is added, but I also have some that state Dolby Digital 5.1 on the box and the Playbar still won't play them. Instead I have to run the audio through the TV which downsamples it to stereo. Otherwise I'm very happy with the Playbar.
The lack of DTS renders some movies on BluRay un-watchable, The Lord of the Rings Extended Box Set for instance has one DTS-HD stream (which I know can't be decoded because the Play:Bar uses TOSLink), a 5.1 DTS English Stream and 4 Stereo Dolby Digital streams, but all the DD streams are director/production voiceovers, so you literally can't watch the film.. You guys need to add DTS urgently...
I'll buy a couple once DTS support is added.
I would really really reaaalllyy love DTS support! A lot of my media has DTS tracks..
Userlevel 1
My Samsung UN65ES8000 definitely supports DTS and while I had the Playbar, I had to manually switch from the DTS soundtrack to PCM in order to get audio. This process was more of a pain than just putting back in my 5.1 system in my bedroom and just playing what audio track I wanted without having to first consider if the movie had DTS vs Dolby. What a waste of great tech.
Userlevel 1
I have to agree with what everyone here has said about the Sonos Playbar. In the past few years since Sonos has been on the market, I personally have been an advocate of the tech and recommending it to anyone that I know that was interested in a home audio solution that simply worked. Now comes the playbar without DTS support (something that has been available since the stone-ages). I myself purchased a playbar to see how it sounds, but quickly found out that the lack of DTS support IS a deal breaker and I returned it quickly to BestBuy. I had plans on switching all of my 5.1 systems to the Playbar, Play3/5 and the sub (with the exception of the home theater), but that will be money that I will just spend somewhere else. It is said that Sonos could not get their act together before launching this product to the market. Something that they decision-makers should realize very soon is that the American consumer is very finicky. Something like simply excluding DTS support for a product that has promise is enough to push us to alternative solutions (and never look back again). Just my .02.
Hi, I´ve the complete sonos surround sound system in my living room, but without DTS in the playbar a lot of fun is missing. Please upgrade the software with DTS.
Not happy Jan. AU$1k and no DTS. DTS soon please!
Once DTS works I will be adding the Playbar, the sub and 2x Play 3 to my house.
Userlevel 1
I think there are quite a lot of PLAYBAR owners that have not exactly connected it as someone at SONOS decided it should be connected. I have a "wireless" Sony TV, that unfortunately can only do 720p over the wireless connection, so I have hooked up the TV via the HDMI Monitor connection to get full HD. That does however mean that there is no audio out at all thru the optical connection, so my PLAYBAR is hooked up to the AV Receiver...
Userlevel 1
97th vote from me. DTS is a MUST. I love my Playbar, but the lack of DTS support is really really disappointing.
Userlevel 1
please add DTS, my whole library has DTS 😞 For this kind of money, it should be available
sad that sonos isnt giving the people (customers) who keep the company going something they need and want. Just so frustrating. John M please tell Sonos that people truly are begging for DTS.
Userlevel 3
Along with no DTS support...why not add 4XHDMI in. Sonos always touts the ease of use so why not add to it and make it the nerve center of media room, is it that expensive? i hate to say is sonos turning into bose v2.0. there are so many user who are trying to find a work around this prob. and still paying heft price for sonos. on the weekend i listen to sonos 5.1 sys in BB, here are my impression ill keep it short... 1: The system lacked cohesion as whole, may be the setup was wrong. 2: Speakers are tad bright and may lead to listening fatigue. 3: Impressive for movies not for music. So-No... till i see steps in right direction
Wish it were DC
Plz can some guru or sonos rep tell me why 1: no HDMI 2: no DTS 3: crossover frequency and freq response for playbar in spec sheet or for that matter other sonos components.
Thanks, for the reply John. I agree 100% with the fact that numbers don't tell the complete story but why not make it a public knowledge...well its sonos call.... But i don't agree with the DTS (i like that it is under consideration) or HDMI decision. Also is there a option for room correction for the 5.1 setup ? (i felt that the speakers did not get along well with each other) P.S. I am happy with the connect player 🙂
Userlevel 1
On my blu-ray player I currently have these settings;
  • Dolby digital -> output bitstream / dolby digital
  • Stereo -> output bitstream / PCM
  • DTS -> output downmix stereo PCM
I have to watch hi-def movie content with a stereo soundtrack. Can this be addressed please ? Thank you.