Answered

LPCM ETA for Arc?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

206 replies

Badge

In the same boat here, just got Arc and I'm very disappointed with the whole Apple TV debacle… would really appreciate the LPCM support soon, otherwise I’m gonna have to return the soundbar, it’s simply not worth the hoops

You should return it then.  Sonos isn’t going to give an update on LPCM before they have the software.  And LG probably isn’t going to fix their firmware (but maybe!).  Honestly the easiest fix is one from LG, so I’d start posting over there to get them to do something. 

How come LG is on fault here they just start supporting passthrough of LPCM over earc. Its sonos arc which doesn’t support LPCM. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In the same boat here, just got Arc and I'm very disappointed with the whole Apple TV debacle… would really appreciate the LPCM support soon, otherwise I’m gonna have to return the soundbar, it’s simply not worth the hoops

You should return it then.  Sonos isn’t going to give an update on LPCM before they have the software.  And LG probably isn’t going to fix their firmware (but maybe!).  Honestly the easiest fix is one from LG, so I’d start posting over there to get them to do something. 

How come LG is on fault here they just start supporting passthrough of LPCM over earc. Its sonos arc which doesn’t support LPCM. 

I guess argument could be made that LG should enable users to turn the support for new feature on/off, if it can affect other devices down the chain? But yeah, that’s not gonna happen, and Sonos Arc launched with promise of support LPCM down the line, so...

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I doubt that you get Atmos when you have set all output to Multichannel PCM. Multichannel PCM 7.1 is not Atmos (5.1.2), but the classic 7.1 layout.

Ive tested Atmos sound using Netflix app on the TV and matching movie with Atmos output and Sonos app shows Atmos input. The overhead affects are still quiet due to my high ceiling.

for the PC, I'm using an app called Dolby Atmos Access for Home Theatre, it encodes PC sound output into Atmos 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Good news , thanks Sonos.

I have a question, I have my oppo203 set to bitstream, previously when I watched a bluray with DTS it would output as stereo 2.0.

Does this update mean that instead I will get something else other than stereo 2.0?

Or do I need to change a setting still on my oppo203.

Thanks.

On a side note does this update contain any other fixes?

Userlevel 7

So If I insert a DTS Blu-ray and set my player to pcm/lpcm my rears will work?

Not only will your rear surround speakers work, but you should also be hearing more audio separation from the Arc because you are going from stereo 2.0 to LPCM 5.1.

Apologies for jumping onto this thread but my ? Is related to LPCM / ATV4k as well. 

I have a 2016 Samsung 60" KS8001 Smart 4K SUHD TV with an Apple TV 4K. 

There is no eARC but ARC, accepted there is no ATMOS for me for now till I replace my TV but I want to ensure I am getting the optimal 5.1 experience. 

I had a Denon 5.1 wired setup previously and know that due to the speakers I would have experienced surrounding sound more so than with ARC. 

The ATV4k has default settings Audio settings and the ARC sounds great so for streaming apps pushing out 5.1 can I expect the ARC to output the same as well or must I be waiting for the LPCM software upgrade? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I doubt that you get Atmos when you have set all output to Multichannel PCM. Multichannel PCM 7.1 is not Atmos (5.1.2), but the classic 7.1 layout.

Ive tested Atmos sound using Netflix app on the TV and matching movie with Atmos output and Sonos app shows Atmos input. The overhead affects are still quiet due to my high ceiling.

for the PC, I'm using an app called Dolby Atmos Access for Home Theatre, it encodes PC sound output into Atmos 

Ah ok, I have misunderstood you then. I thought you are only putting out Multichannel PCM. For the height effects I also had to tinker around a bit to find the sweet spot. This video helped me a lot: 

I would also advise to use Atmos demo video when you want to calibrate your system, because they have usually more audible height channels.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks Sonos!

A question,

Should I go with dts to eac3 transcode or run multi channel 7.1, which is better?

I do have multichannel pcm 7.1 now 🙃

Pcm, as otherwise you are converting from one lossy format to another.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Apologies for jumping onto this thread but my ? Is related to LPCM / ATV4k as well. 

There is no eARC but ARC, accepted there is no ATMOS for me for now till I replace my TV but I want to ensure I am getting the optimal 5.1 experience. 

I had a Denon 5.1 wired setup previously and know that due to the speakers I would have experienced surrounding sound more so than with ARC. 

The ATV4k has default settings Audio settings and the ARC sounds great so for streaming apps pushing out 5.1 can I expect the ARC to output the same as well or must I be waiting for the LPCM software upgrade? 

If you have an Arc, sub and surrounds then you will get excellent DD5.1 providing your TV passes it via ARC or you run optical into the Arc using the provided adapter from the TV optical (If the TV can pass it) or a hdmi audio extractor. 

Coming back to the LG conversation; I held off upgrading my C9 to the 3.80 firmware for this very reason. The TVs passthrough for LPCM is of no use to me until Sonos upgrade the Arc in the future. My other option would have been to use the internal TV apps for 5.1 content but I’d rather run the old firmware for a bit longer and save myself the hassle of constantly switching the audio on the ATV. Let’s hope this software upgrade for the Arc will come sooner rather than later. 

If you have an Arc, sub and surrounds then you will get DD5.1 providing yourself TV passes it vi ARC or you run optical into the Arc using the provided adapter. 

Thanks, just have the ARC so am in effect just getting 2 channel with maybe some 5.1 effects that the ARC is providing?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We are actively testing multi-channel LPCM on Sonos and we'll be releasing it as part of a software update by the end of this year. We will update this thread again once it's available.  

Excellent news, thanks for the update.

Is this coming to the Beam?

I think that would depend on a few things. Manufacturers do like to be able to differentiate their product lines (entice you to pay more for features even if technically possible). It may also be the case that the arc port on the Beam can’t handle the bandwidth which may need earc specs. It would be nice though, at least then Sonos would stop being criticised for no DTS support, even if the format is losing popularity with streaming ever more common for consumers. It’d be nice to see the Beam updated to earc spec but Sonos tend to move very slowly.

SoCal - I don’t think that’s correct.

If you’re using a standard ARC port (no eARC) - you’re getting “lossy” atmos through Dolby Digital Plus

From Sonos website:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4844?language=en_US

“Most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus codec. HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec.”

We are actively testing multi-channel LPCM on Sonos and we'll be releasing it as part of a software update by the end of this year. We will update this thread again once it's available.  

Excellent news, thanks for the update.

Is this coming to the Beam?

I think that would depend on a few things. Manufacturers do like to be able to differentiate their product lines (entice you to pay more for features even if technically possible). It may also be the case that the arc port on the Beam can’t handle the bandwidth which may need earc specs. It would be nice though, at least then Sonos would stop being criticised for no DTS support, even if the format is losing popularity with streaming ever more common for consumers. It’d be nice to see the Beam updated to earc spec but Sonos tend to move very slowly.

Yea I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to use this to force an upgrade.  But I bought the beam about a week before the Arc was announced. I just want my Nintendo Switch to work with surround sound!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

When you use eARC to transmit an audio signal, you are really relying on the TV for processing (or the device manufacturer you are streaming from - here Apple).  When you selected “Auto” previously, the LG was processing the signal from LPCM to bitstream tor the Arc.  Now it is not doing that anymore, which puts the onus on either Apple to process down to bitstream (which it won’t) or Sonos to support LPCM. 

What you’d really want is for LG to fix this, because it would be a fix for any product - even if you switch out of Sonos to something else.  Whether other products are impacted right now, I don’t know (I haven’t used other soundbars), but you’d prefer to have the TV doing the processing as needed.  That’s what an “Auto“ mode should be accomplishing.  Right now, it’s really just passing through a signal the Sonos cannot support.  Because it didn’t do that before, it suggests LG broke the capability with its last firmware update.  It’s also why this isn’t an issue with other TV manufacturers - their TVs are doing this processing. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Any update on this or if we can beta test this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Sonos are quite slow with software update aye, no LPCM yet

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m not sure if that’s the case: from what I understand the LG TV’s weren’t supporting multichannel PCM before, so they were always provided signal that was compatible in different way, like DD5.1 etc.

now they support it, so Apple TV and the like send it through, and TV can play it just fine on speaker or feed through to eARC… assuming that the device on there can understand it… and Sonos Arc can’t.

Have you done the steps set forth earlier in the thread with the photos?

Hi ewolkoff. Yes, I was excited to see your photos and copy the setup exactly, but unfortunately it did not work for me. My settings on the Apple TV were identical to yours but the Audio/Sound settings on the LG are slightly different, as you can see from my pix.

Once the HDMI is selected there is no sub-menu offered, like in your images. I have to navigate to Additional Settings to find the Pass Through and eARC options.

But now, to add to my woes, I messsed around with the settings on the tv AND the 4KATV and now the Dolby Atmos option is gone from the Apple TV Audio Options - it just offers Dolby 5.1 now. :(

I knew I shouldn’t have messed around with my settings.

Hi all.

I just wanted to add my experience.

Its been driving me mad having the same setup with the addition of a Fire Stick 4k…. no problems with my Sonos beam… but when I updated to the Arc I have been having some really random problems.

Before I go into detail… I want to reiterate what someone else has just said… at ALL times playing content purchased from the iTunes store such as 4K ATMOS movies they work fine.. and the ARC outputs in Atmos.

My problems stemmed from other apps on the AppleTV.  Netflix, and Amazon Prime.  Movies that were supposed to be 5.1 were coming out 2,0.   Atmos content was not working at all, and mostly coming out at 2.0.  Then, it decided to loose the centre channel so I could not hear the dialogue.

Researching the problem, I found this thread.  

I grudging accepted that I could not diagnose the issue and I started to use the Fire Stick (which has no problem outputting to the ARC in atmos) or the inbuilt LG apps (My LG is the OLED 2019 model with eARC)

This is so frustrating as ive checked my settings over and over… and there is something that just doesn't work.  Lots like this LPCM issue with the arc is to blame and I hope they fix it soon.

However… as I said.. ive got no problems whatsoever with iTunes content… its the only app on the TV that seems to do it correctly.  I just cant get my head around why one app works from the same box, and the others dont.

Hi all,

We hear you. With a software update today, Arc now supports multi-channel LPCM, bringing new immersive sound experiences for gaming, Blu-ray discs, and more. To get support for multi-channel LPCM on Arc, download the latest Sonos S2 update from the app store and then update your system in the Sonos S2 app. After updating the app, go to Settings > System > System Updates > Check for Updates.

All the best,

Ditte

YESSSSS. A company that keeps their promises! Thank you SONOS!!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I’m not sure if that’s the case: from what I understand the LG TV’s weren’t supporting multichannel PCM before, so they were always provided signal that was compatible in different way, like DD5.1 etc.

now they support it, so Apple TV and the like send it through, and TV can play it just fine on speaker or feed through to eARC… assuming that the device on there can understand it… and Sonos Arc can’t.

It is the case.  They weren’t supporting it - they were processing it to bitstream.  You can see posts about folks with LG TVs who did not upgrade their firmware and don’t have the issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi all.

I just wanted to add my experience.

Its been driving me mad having the same setup with the addition of a Fire Stick 4k…. no problems with my Sonos beam… but when I updated to the Arc I have been having some really random problems.

Before I go into detail… I want to reiterate what someone else has just said… at ALL times playing content purchased from the iTunes store such as 4K ATMOS movies they work fine.. and the ARC outputs in Atmos.

My problems stemmed from other apps on the AppleTV.  Netflix, and Amazon Prime.  Movies that were supposed to be 5.1 were coming out 2,0.   Atmos content was not working at all, and mostly coming out at 2.0.  Then, it decided to loose the centre channel so I could not hear the dialogue.

Researching the problem, I found this thread.  

I grudging accepted that I could not diagnose the issue and I started to use the Fire Stick (which has no problem outputting to the ARC in atmos) or the inbuilt LG apps (My LG is the OLED 2019 model with eARC)

This is so frustrating as ive checked my settings over and over… and there is something that just doesn't work.  Lots like this LPCM issue with the arc is to blame and I hope they fix it soon.

However… as I said.. ive got no problems whatsoever with iTunes content… its the only app on the TV that seems to do it correctly.  I just cant get my head around why one app works from the same box, and the others dont.

That explains it for me then as to why it works fine, as I only use it for the iTunes purchased stuff.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just in time for the new consoles. Thanks Sonos! 

Could it be that Apple fixed it in tvOS 14? I have kept my C9 on the old firmware but now I’m tempted. 

I’m not on tvOS 14, I’m on 13.4.8 but it might have happened with a recent Apple TV update regardless. 

My BX is on 13.11.10 and I’m in Australia if that makes any difference.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

SoCal - I don’t think that’s correct.

If you’re using a standard ARC port (no eARC) - you’re getting “lossy” atmos through Dolby Digital Plus

From Sonos website:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4844?language=en_US

“Most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus codec. HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec.”

There is no such thing as TrueHD over a streaming service or device (e.g. Apple TV).  So he’s definitely getting DD+ Atmos.  You can only get TrueHD via a 4K Blu-ray player with an eARC connection.  Note however, that Apple TV requires an eARC connection to get Dolby Atmos at all (it will not pass DD+ Atmos via ARC).  Apple has imposed that requirement.  

As for the rest of this thread, I can report that I am running the latest firmware on an LG E9 and do not have this issue.  My Apple TV is playing Atmos without having to do anything in the audio settings.  Just make sure your audio setting is set to “Auto” rather than “Pass Through” or PCM.