Answered

LPCM ETA for Arc?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

206 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Only just noticed this but any Dolby 5.1 content via my Apple TV 4K box is outputting in multichannel pcm 7.1?

Anyone else.

Lg cx setting all set to bitstream/ passthrough eARC on.

I don’t have an apple box to test, but if there is an option in the settings on the apple box to change the channel configuration to 5.1, then use that. 7.1 does not currently work correctly

This is such a random bug/issue as well. It implies that Sonos somehow never came across this issue during their testing but how lol?

The only other device is an Android which I updated.  Still getting the error message on my Mac no matter how many attempts.

Maybe try uninstalling the Sonos app on your Mac then install afresh from the Sonos Support website? Make sure you select to connect to existing system. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

My Nintendo switch (on LG CX) is also outputting Multichannel LpCM 7.1 instead of 5.1. However, when I do the test tones, I can still hear all  of them correctly. Anyone else running into this as well?

Hi, again ewolkoff. Thanks again for your tremendous help. 

That worked - in that by changing the setting Sound > Additional Settings > HDMI Input Audio Format > Bitstream, I was then able to set the Apple TV to Atmos.

Can you explain how that is possible? That changing settings on one device impacts the options on another (ie, changes to a device downstream affects the primary device (4KATV, LGTV, ARC)?

However, despite Atmos being available from the Apple TV, as soon as I play any Atmos content from it (either via the iTunes Store or Disney, etc) there is no sound coming through the soundbar.

Back to square one. :(

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

My Nintendo switch (on LG CX) is also outputting Multichannel LpCM 7.1 instead of 5.1. However, when I do the test tones, I can still hear all  of them correctly. Anyone else running into this as well?

you could just change it to 5.1, I have a switch and it can easily be changed if required 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have updated my SONOS Arc now, but unfortunately my 3 year old Samsung QLED TV does not forward the LPCM signal to the Arc so I still unfortunately only get PCM 2.0 audio.
Thinking about changing TV. Anyone can confirm if you get surround from a Nintendo Switch with an LG GX / CX TV and a SONOS Arc together?

yes that becomes the last hurdle for some people - not all TV allow lpcm pass through, so you will need to use an AVR or a new TV. If I recall correctly the ARC only has a single hdmi port and so it means all sound has to pass through the TV so you will now be limited by what your TV can pass through.

I need to update my signature, I have an lg OLED tv now - lg released a software update this year, all lg TV made

from April 2019 now support LPCM pass through 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks - that’s interesting. 

This could not get more complicated if they tried.

When you say you’re getting atmos - is that through an external Apple TV 4K console, or the LG Apple app?

Apple TV 4K.  You can’t get Atmos through the LG Apple app (or any Apple app).  Apple only allows Atmos through their own hardware (not their Apple TV apps).  That’s true on all brands of TVs that have Apple apps.  And they only allow Atmos through their own hardware with an eARC connection (no ARC).  Why?  Because they are Apple and Apple does stuff like that.

I am very curious how you have been able to receive Atmos through your Apple TV 4k?  I have this setup and am unable to receive any audio when ATV is set to auto.

Just adding myself to get notifications 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

My setup is Sonos Arc, sub and 2 play:1’s + LG CX + Apple TV 4K. I have the LG set to HDMI bitstream and Passthrough. Apple TV is set to best available. The new Multichannel PCM seems to be working by looking at the About page in the Sonos App, but it shows Multichannel PCM 7.1, while this setup is still 5.1. Should it not show Multichannel PCM 5.1? The results is the channels are not being output from the correct speaker. Using a Surround Channel Test app on the Apple TV shows the channels all wrong, while before it was all good.

Same here all Dolby 5.1 outputs as multichannel pcm 7.1, it should be 5.1, hopefully Sonos release a quick fix.

So If I insert a DTS Blu-ray and set my player to pcm/lpcm my rears will work?

Not only will your rear surround speakers work, but you should also be hearing more audio separation from the Arc because you are going from stereo 2.0 to LPCM 5.1.

I have hooked an Sony x800 blu-ray player to a Samsung Q90t tv with e-arc. Set the player to pcm. Tried the TV set to pcm and passthrough and the Sonos app only said stereo pcm 2.0. What do I need to change 😭

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

SoCal - I don’t think that’s correct.

As for the rest of this thread, I can report that I am running the latest firmware on an LG E9 and do not have this issue.  My Apple TV is playing Atmos without having to do anything in the audio settings.  Just make sure your audio setting is set to “Auto” rather than “Pass Through” or PCM.

But what about when you’re trying to play DD5.1 content? On my system (Apple TV, LG C9, Sonos Arc, it plays Atmos content perfectly but the Sonos Arc sees DD5.1 content as Stereo 2.0.

So I connected my apple tv 4k up yesterday to my LG CX (eARC)

I can get atmos and DD 5.1 fine, without changing any settings on the apple tv 4k box, so why are some only getting stereo 2.0 with 5.1 content?

I admit I only tested using Apple iTunes content that I had purchased, but I don’t plan on using any other apps on this device so its fine for me it seems.

My Lg is set to passthrough with eARC on.

Does the issue lie with certain apps on the device or something, as the guy I quoted has a C9 so why does he have an issue and I don’t.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have another question if someone knows the answer I have an LG cx and oppo 203 Blu-ray player since this update for LPCM it means I can get better sound with DTS Blu-rays, before I got just stereo 2.0

I now get multichannel pcm 5.1/7.1.

My LG cx cannot passthrough DTS, it will flat out refuse to pass it, my 203 is set to bitstream and when I played a DTS Blu-ray I would get stereo 2.0, now with LPCM update I get the 5.1/7.1 as I said.

Even though the 203 player is set to bitstream is the decoding happening on the player for DTS, Just curious as like I said the cx can’t pass DTS, so does the 203 override my bitstream setting somehow and converts it.

Userlevel 1

I have a 65NANO91ANA. Just updated to:

1. Apple tvOS 13.4.8
  2. Sonos 12.0.3
  3. LG 03.10.25

It appears that the LPCM support is still lacking and no change on the aforementioned Atmos comments.  I have preordered and HDfury Arcana in hopes it arrives before the software updates happen or my TV return policy expires. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have another question if someone knows the answer I have an LG cx and oppo 203 Blu-ray player since this update for LPCM it means I can get better sound with DTS Blu-rays, before I got just stereo 2.0

I now get multichannel pcm 5.1/7.1.

My LG cx cannot passthrough DTS, it will flat out refuse to pass it, my 203 is set to bitstream and when I played a DTS Blu-ray I would get stereo 2.0, now with LPCM update I get the 5.1/7.1 as I said.

Even though the 203 player is set to bitstream is the decoding happening on the player for DTS, Just curious as like I said the cx can’t pass DTS, so does the 203 override my bitstream setting somehow and converts it.

yes that is correct LG TVs don't support DTS passthrough  https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

as for why 5.1 is now working, when you connect a hdmi device to another hdmi device they send packets to each other and in tow packet contains data about each devices capability (for example resolution, refresh rate, audio codecs, audio channels etc) and then each device tailors its output based on that for user experience reasons. I guess what's happening now is the ARC reports in this data packet that it supports LPCM, the TV accepts this and the TV tells your bluray player that the ARC supports LPCM and your bluray player then outputs it. Even though your bluray player is set to output DTS I don't think it's outputting dts, it's switched to LPCM or cross mixing  to LPCM

I mean LPCM 5.1/7.1 seems to work fine on my Blu-ray player it’s just Apple TV 4K that’s having an issue with Dolby 5.1 and outputting as pcm 7.1

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just wanted to chime in here and say I have the same problem - no sound from ARC via 2020 LG 65 NANO86TNA from Apple TV 4K when viewing Atmos movies.

To describe it as a disappointing is an understatement.

Have you done the steps set forth earlier in the thread with the photos?

I own the LG C9 and the Arc in the 5.0.2 surround package. I am on the last firmware for the LG, 4.71.xx. I am getting multiple, daily notifications to update the TV to the new 4.80.xx firmware. 

The devices I own are a 4k bluray player, Ps4 pro, and Nintendo Switch.  I DO NOT own the Apple TV or Nvidia Shield. I also DO NOT use Plex or anything to play ripped movies over the network or through Hdmi.  I watch movies in two ways these days, either through the Bluray player and through LG’s built in WebOs apps.  

Questions are:  Can I update the TV while retaining Atmos and proper surround from the bluray player? Will I lose surround from the Ps4? I have all my settings correct as is for all three devices. I get Atmos and 5.1 with not issues. The Nintendo Switch is set to stereo mode since it uses Multi channel pcm for the surround mode.

I hope I can get a clear yes or no’s. And why’s to would be great! Thanks!

I have LG C9 with latest 4.80 firmware, Arc in 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K, Samsung 4K Blu ray.

PS4Pro using bitstream (Dolby digital) works fine with surround. I haven’t noticed a lag, but it sounds like others may have. PCM does not work for surround.

Atmos works fine with Blu Ray, Apple TV and TV’s apps.

The main thing that doesn’t work is DD5.1 from Apple TV unless I change audio output to force Dolby digital, but if I do that then I don’t get Atmos.

Personally, if I could downgrade the LG firmware and wait for Sonos’ support for LPCM I would.

It would appear the only LG owners who shouldn’t upgrade are the ones using the ATV4k as their main content box then right? Since not owning the ATV I could upgrade the firmware and not lose anything that I am enjoying right now? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

The only other device is an Android which I updated.  Still getting the error message on my Mac no matter how many attempts.

Maybe try uninstalling the Sonos app on your Mac then install afresh from the Sonos Support website? Make sure you select to connect to existing system. 

Thanks.  I did the uninstall and then did a fresh install of 12.2.  It worked fine.  I then checked for updates and it updated my hardware.

I have a question regarding what I can gain from this update.  The only Sonos product I have is an Amp.  I have 2 speakers wired to it and my Sony X800H TV hooked up to it.  I only use it to listen to 2.0 stereo though the TV and from my Mac.  Does this update help me in any way?  Thanks again.

Edit: Also, will this version work with Big Sur that is coming out on Thursday?

My LG BX updated it’s firmware last night and as of today is passing Dolby Atmos through to my Sonos Arc (from an Apple TV 4K). Even says “Dolby Atmos” in my Sonos App!

So maybe LG adjusted their firmware to pass through something the Arc is compatible with while Sonos get their own firmware sorted?

I forced my PS5 to output to receiver as 5.1 but I still miss audio channels (Assassins Creed Valhalla is a good test because dialogue disappears if missing channels).  Is there anything I need to change on the ARC side?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Is this future update more beneficial for people that use external devices?

I’m using internal apps on my LG CX to the Sonos ARC and seem to get the best audio possible I think.

Netflix I get atmos (dd+) and dolby digital plus 5.1 

Apple tv app purchased movies I get atmos as above and dolby digital 5.1 

Have an Oppo 203 as well which I presume I willl get atmos (true HD) for UHD atmos discs, but not tested that as yet.

So where does this future LPCM update come into play?

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge

you could just change it to 5.1, I have a switch and it can easily be changed if required 

I don’t see an option to pick 5.1 or 7.1… CX is set to pass through, bitstream, and switch only has Auto, Surround, Stereo and Mono. Have it set to surround (auto has same results). Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I doubt that you get Atmos when you have set all output to Multichannel PCM. Multichannel PCM 7.1 is not Atmos (5.1.2), but the classic 7.1 layout.

Ive tested Atmos sound using Netflix app on the TV and matching movie with Atmos output and Sonos app shows Atmos input. The overhead affects are still quiet due to my high ceiling.

for the PC, I'm using an app called Dolby Atmos Access for Home Theatre, it encodes PC sound output into Atmos 

Ah ok, I have misunderstood you then. I thought you are only putting out Multichannel PCM. For the height effects I also had to tinker around a bit to find the sweet spot. This video helped me a lot: 

I would also advise to use Atmos demo video when you want to calibrate your system, because they have usually more audible height channels.

Thanks that video is very helpful, I will change the placement slightly and retune it

Any follow up on the issue of Sonos ARC mixing up the channels with LPCM7.1 input?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

After doing a lot of testing on the playstation 5 and my PC, I would suggest you DO NOT use LPCM 7.1

Make sure you force all your devices into LPCM 5.1

If you run 7.1, you will find that the Arc gets mixed up and outputs Surround channels out the wrong speaker or outputs no sound at all

Below I’ve included a visual diagram of this.

If you enable 7.1 LPCM you will find that SR and SL sound is outputted in the RR and RL speakers and the RR and RL sound is not played at all. L, C, R and Sub audio is correct.

Sonos will need to release another update to tell devices that only 5.1 LPCM is available, because some devices just default to 7.1 on the new update and some users may not realise they should change it to 5.1

Also some users can’t force it to 5.1, Apple TV 4K for example doesn’t give that option, all Dolby 5.1 content is outputting in multichannel pcm 7.1

Hopefully Sonos are aware of this issue and can fix it soon.