Answered

LPCM ETA for Arc?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

206 replies

I did the new 4.80.03 update on my LG65OLEDC9. I right off the bat lost the center channel on the PS4 pro. It turns out the PS4 now recognizes the TV can decode 7.1 PCM. This issue  can be addressed easily by entering the main PS4 audio settings. The moment you open the audio settings it will mention how this device can support 7.1. You need to force it to 5.1 using the checkbox on that screen. Then change the output from PCM to Dolby. Everything works great. I just go into the game settings (last of us part 2) and make sure the audio home theater is set to 5.1 in game. 

I’m not sure this can be answered, but I will ask out of curiosity.  When Sonos delivers the LPCM update, will the Arc be able to receive 7.1 PCM? Or will we still need to force 5.1? 

Yeah, PS4 and Xbox One both support Dolby output so they are fine.  The problem is some streaming box can’t output Dolby bitstream, for example: Apple TV

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In the same boat here, just got Arc and I'm very disappointed with the whole Apple TV debacle… would really appreciate the LPCM support soon, otherwise I’m gonna have to return the soundbar, it’s simply not worth the hoops

Ledzep1,

Apple TV 4K is able to output DD 5.1

In Audio Format, click on Change Format, and the new format will become DD 5.1.  The issue with this will be you will not receive full Atmos, and will need to change it back if you are watching a show or movie which you need it to be enabled.

Hi

Thanks, but I was aware of this and getting dolby digital 5.1 and atmos before the LPCM update fine from all content on my apple 4k tv box without having to change any settings.

With this update I still get atmos, but all dolby is not down mixing correctly to multichannel PCM 5.1 instead it's outputting 7.1.

That may be a temporary solution I agree.

Thanks for the reply khaz22 and ledzep1. I have been doing this ever since I bought the Sonos Arc but I was under the impression that this latest update would fix this and I wouldn’t need to keeping switching Is that not the case? 

Well for me I have never needed to change settings, I have always got atmos and dolby 5.1 perfectly fine on the auto settings via apple tv 4k.

But since the LPCM update, it works as intended in outputting LPCM for dolby 5.1 content but it is outputting as multichannel PCM 7.1, it should be 5.1.

If you go into the apple 4k tv settings you will see that on auto settings the apple TV states it sends audio as uncompressed LPCM which I believe is better quality to dolby 5.1.

Its just not doing it correctly and outputting as 7.1, not sure where the issue lies.

I think I should create a separate thread for this as Sonos might not be aware of an issue.

So do you have EARC or just ARC? also what TV do you have? I’m thinking it might be a problem with my Panasonic GZ950.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You don’t have to have eARC on a TV to get Atmos.  My Sony X930E has Arc but the built in Amazon Prime app does get me Atmos.  But Amazon Prime on my Apple TV does not.

This thread is based on an LG firmware update which doesn’t convert LPCM automatically.  Because Sonos cannot accept LPCM, it is an issue.  It doesn't impact your Sony TV.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Ledzep1,

Apple TV 4K is able to output DD 5.1

In Audio Format, click on Change Format, and the new format will become DD 5.1.  The issue with this will be you will not receive full Atmos, and will need to change it back if you are watching a show or movie which you need it to be enabled.

Hi

Thanks, but I was aware of this and getting dolby digital 5.1 and atmos before the LPCM update fine from all content on my apple 4k tv box without having to change any settings.

With this update I still get atmos, but all dolby is not down mixing correctly to multichannel PCM 5.1 instead it's outputting 7.1.

That may be a temporary solution I agree.

Thanks for the reply khaz22 and ledzep1. I have been doing this ever since I bought the Sonos Arc but I was under the impression that this latest update would fix this and I wouldn’t need to keeping switching Is that not the case? 

Well for me I have never needed to change settings, I have always got atmos and dolby 5.1 perfectly fine on the auto settings via apple tv 4k.

But since the LPCM update, it works as intended in outputting LPCM for dolby 5.1 content but it is outputting as multichannel PCM 7.1, it should be 5.1.

If you go into the apple 4k tv settings you will see that on auto settings the apple TV states it sends audio as uncompressed LPCM which I believe is better quality to dolby 5.1.

Its just not doing it correctly and outputting as 7.1, not sure where the issue lies.

I think I should create a separate thread for this as Sonos might not be aware of an issue.

So do you have EARC or just ARC? also what TV do you have? I’m thinking it might be a problem with my Panasonic GZ950.

I have LG cx which has eARC.

We are actively testing multi-channel LPCM on Sonos and we'll be releasing it as part of a software update by the end of this year. We will update this thread again once it's available.  

Excellent news, thanks for the update.

Is this coming to the Beam?

My LG BX updated it’s firmware last night and as of today is passing Dolby Atmos through to my Sonos Arc (from an Apple TV 4K). Even says “Dolby Atmos” in my Sonos App!

So maybe LG adjusted their firmware to pass through something the Arc is compatible with while Sonos get their own firmware sorted?

I have been able to pass atmos from my apple tv 4k to ARC since the CX was released back in April.

Was it certain apps on the apple box that prevented this?

There was an issue where LG updated their firmware to accept LPCM, so the Apple TV 4K would send that (which the Arc isn’t compatible with) and you’d get no sound unless you forced ATV to output at 5.1

Not sure why your CX wouldn’t have that issue unless you didn’t update firmware or something? 

I have kept CX fully up to date.

I only really use my apple tv 4k for the apple content such as purchased movies but have never had an issue playing Atmos or DD 5.1 content.

My settings on CX are are set to passthrough with eARC on, and on the Apple box just the defaults Auto/atmos on.

On sonos App, it showed ATMOS DD+ or Dolby Digital 5.1

Strange.

I believe a new firmware is out in the UK, but currently Im on 3.10.44

Odd. It’s a confirmed issue by Sonos that they need to add LPCM support, you must have just been lucky somehow! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Looks like this thread is over other tvs too as I did read the entire thing.

I have it from the top that it’s coming before the end of 2020...and could be released at any moment. The feature is in test now, so hang tight. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

In the same boat here, just got Arc and I'm very disappointed with the whole Apple TV debacle… would really appreciate the LPCM support soon, otherwise I’m gonna have to return the soundbar, it’s simply not worth the hoops

You should return it then.  Sonos isn’t going to give an update on LPCM before they have the software.  And LG probably isn’t going to fix their firmware (but maybe!).  Honestly the easiest fix is one from LG, so I’d start posting over there to get them to do something. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

My LG BX updated it’s firmware last night and as of today is passing Dolby Atmos through to my Sonos Arc (from an Apple TV 4K). Even says “Dolby Atmos” in my Sonos App!

So maybe LG adjusted their firmware to pass through something the Arc is compatible with while Sonos get their own firmware sorted?

I have been able to pass atmos from my apple tv 4k to ARC since the CX was released back in April.

Was it certain apps on the apple box that prevented this?

There was an issue where LG updated their firmware to accept LPCM, so the Apple TV 4K would send that (which the Arc isn’t compatible with) and you’d get no sound unless you forced ATV to output at 5.1

Not sure why your CX wouldn’t have that issue unless you didn’t update firmware or something? 

I have kept CX fully up to date.

I only really use my apple tv 4k for the apple content such as purchased movies but have never had an issue playing Atmos or DD 5.1 content.

My settings on CX are are set to passthrough with eARC on, and on the Apple box just the defaults Auto/atmos on.

On sonos App, it showed ATMOS DD+ or Dolby Digital 5.1

Strange.

I believe a new firmware is out in the UK, but currently Im on 3.10.44

Odd. It’s a confirmed issue by Sonos that they need to add LPCM support, you must have just been lucky somehow! 

It is odd I have read a few threads with issues on this and I’ve always wondered why I get no issue, but then I’ve seen other people mention they get atmos and DD5.1 perfectly fine as well.

Will this LPCM software update assist in getting DTS from a 4K UHD blu ray player? I just ordered the Arc and my tv will have an eArc port. I don’t have a 4K UHD blu ray player yet.  If this update helps with DTS, is there something specific I should be looking for in the blu ray player before I buy it? Anything specific on the tv end?

Most Blu-ray players can convert DTS to PCM. I have a Sonos Arc and I have set my Panasonic 4K UHD player to convert DTS to PCM and am now getting multi-channel LPCM audio from all of my DTS-HD Master Audio-encoded Blu-ray discs. And lossless LPCM is just as good as lossless DTS.

Thanks for the reply. Which Panasonic model do you have? Do you still hook it up via the hdmi cable?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi everyone - for what it’s worth, my brother (who is in the same situation) emailed Patrick Spence (Sonos CEO) and got a reply stating that LPCM will be supported and the update will be coming “this year”. So far the only other source stating this has been a post on this forum (I believe) so this might give people more confidence that the functionality is indeed lined up for the near future. I don’t think it’s a totally safe bet until they’ve shipped the update but it’s looking more positive.

This years could be another 5 months! Why the hell wasn't this thought about long before they shipped the ARC, surely they must have had a bunch of ways to send Atmos to the Sonos Arc studied and if so that makes it even more unreasonable for them to send them out without the ability to work with a bunch of inputs. I get that so far they still dont support DTS due to having to pay licensing but LPCM doesn't require a fee and is generally an accepted inout due to many other streaming boxes using the MAT format 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi, again ewolkoff. Thanks again for your tremendous help. 

That worked - in that by changing the setting Sound > Additional Settings > HDMI Input Audio Format > Bitstream, I was then able to set the Apple TV to Atmos.

Can you explain how that is possible? That changing settings on one device impacts the options on another (ie, changes to a device downstream affects the primary device (4KATV, LGTV, ARC)?

However, despite Atmos being available from the Apple TV, as soon as I play any Atmos content from it (either via the iTunes Store or Disney, etc) there is no sound coming through the soundbar.

Back to square one. :(

TV is still set to Auto and not Pass Through?  Also are you sure it’s Atmos content?  I have noticed that with this setup DD 5.1 plays sometimes with no sound or no voices until I switch to Pass Through again.  That’s why the system is manual — you have to change the settings to play DD 5.1 vs. Atmos.

The issue before was that you told your TV to only accept a stereo PCM signal.  Apple TV saw that and stopped allowing you to send high bandwidth Atmos signals.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

totally agree! 

I own the LG C9 and the Arc in the 5.0.2 surround package. I am on the last firmware for the LG, 4.71.xx. I am getting multiple, daily notifications to update the TV to the new 4.80.xx firmware. 

The devices I own are a 4k bluray player, Ps4 pro, and Nintendo Switch.  I DO NOT own the Apple TV or Nvidia Shield. I also DO NOT use Plex or anything to play ripped movies over the network or through Hdmi.  I watch movies in two ways these days, either through the Bluray player and through LG’s built in WebOs apps.  

Questions are:  Can I update the TV while retaining Atmos and proper surround from the bluray player? Will I lose surround from the Ps4? I have all my settings correct as is for all three devices. I get Atmos and 5.1 with not issues. The Nintendo Switch is set to stereo mode since it uses Multi channel pcm for the surround mode.

I hope I can get a clear yes or no’s. And why’s to would be great! Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi there,
I am a new Arc owner and got this update today (12.2), Hardware version 1.17.1.7-1.2

I have an LG OLED65CXPUA TV and an Apple TV 4K.

I just watched “The Right Stuff” on Disney+ through my AppleTV 4K, and then when I was done pressed “menu” until I got to the home screen and went to “youtube TV” the audio was going in and out in a pattern, like 1 second on, 1 second off. 

I tried the old “go in settings on the ATV4K and switch to 5.1” but I still had the issue. I ended up pulling the plug on the Apple TV 4K and then got regular sound again. 

My Apple TV 4K is outputting to “TV” because that’s the only option, and I assume that goes over eARC? I don’t see any “output to soundbar” option.

The LG is sending “passthrough” audio. I’m not sure if there are other settings I should be checking. Any help appreciated!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Don’t forget, these expanded Apple menus only appear IF you are plugged into the ARC (eARC) port on your TV.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You guys aren’t getting Atmos or any sound at all?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I’ve read this whole thread and am not clear perhaps because it depends on what TV you have.

I have an Apple TV 4K which all my content comes from and a Sony X930E with Arc.  I have an Arc, Sub, and rear One’s. I’m happy with 5.1.

I can get Atmos from the built in Amazon Prime app but not the ATV Prime app.  It sounds ok, not amazing, and the TV’s Prime app looks noticeably worse than the Apple TV app so I stopped using it.

What will LPCM do for me related to Atmos?

Userlevel 2

Has the LPCM support issue been fixed yet?  I’m on the fence about getting the ARC for my C9 77” with heavy a ATV 4K use. It seems there is such a crossover between Apple and Sonos that this would be a non-issue out of the gate. Trueplay is iOS only, so there is obviously an open line of communication between Sonos and Apple.  Either way, at this point, I think I’m going to compare the Klipsch 54A which is supposed to release any day and offers front and rear Atmos drivers. Then get a Sonos Amp to handle stereo music tasks in that room.  How does the Arc fair when playing music? I think I may be better served with this setup anyway.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Big thank you to Sonos!

because of this update I went and bought an arc today and I love it.

Im now able to get 5.1 lpcm and Atmos from my PC games, Nintendo Switch games, PS4 and PS5, also Netflix.

Basically everything is now surround sound and working, I've been waiting a long time for this - no longer do I have to swap cables multiple times a day and use a soundcard to encode Dolby - everything just works with zero hassle like it should.

for a score, I'm giving the arc 9/10

I can't give it a 10 because I only have one complaint. My ceilings are 10ft high and I'm struggling to hear the overhead Atmos effects. I've put my ears next to the speakers for each channel and found the height channels don't sound any louder than any other which I found odd. I thought that the height channel would be louder due to the extra travel distance and having to bounce off the ceiling. To resolve this issue I need to be able to boost the volume to just the height channel speakers but the Sono S2 phone app does not have the option of doing this.

So Sonos, to make the Arc perfect please allow us to adjust the height channel volume like you do for the surrounds. Thanks 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Has the LPCM support issue been fixed yet?  I’m on the fence about getting the ARC for my C9 77” with heavy a ATV 4K use. It seems there is such a crossover between Apple and Sonos that this would be a non-issue out of the gate. Trueplay is iOS only, so there is obviously an open line of communication between Sonos and Apple.  Either way, at this point, I think I’m going to compare the Klipsch 54A which is supposed to release any day and offers front and rear Atmos drivers. Then get a Sonos Amp to handle stereo music tasks in that room.  How does the Arc fair when playing music? I think I may be better served with this setup anyway.

I think the Arc sounds great with music-I have it in a 5.1 setup with the sub and two rears connected to an Amp.  I also have another Arc in a 5.1 config with the Sonos Ones.  Both sound great to me, but it’s obviously a personal preference. 

LPCM is not yet fixed, but you can use the built in LG apps or manually change the LG’s audio settings based on what you listen to on the Apple TV.  Takes 5-10 seconds.  Sonos will release LPCM support eventually (they announced that)-it’s not really an Apple issue but a standard they don’t yet support (they support PCM but not LPCM).  LG’s firmware used to correct for this because LG didn’t support LPCM so it would convert everything automatically, but no more.  So, LG may also release a fix to automatically convert it again. In fact, what is really broken is the “automatic” setting in the LG audio settings. But either LG fixing it or Sonos releasing LPCM support would eliminate the issue.  

Yep no sound if using Atmos turned on (on the Apple TV 4K) as in your screen grabs.  Using the same settings and ZERO sound.  Have to turn off Atmos on the Apple TV 4K and then it works with Dolby Digital 5.1.

With the built-in LG apps it does work for Apple TV+, Netflix and Disney i.e., Atmos with Sonos Arc.   So for now I have stopped using the Apple TV 4K.

On the 2020 75 Nano it also has no sound on the internal tv speakers with Atmos on when using the Apple TV 4K.   So this must be related to the update LG made to the way they handle LPCM.  I verified this others owners of the 2020 Nano and they have the same issue as well..different threads.

I almost considered changing to the new LG soundbar 7.1 channel setup but I am too far invested in Sonos so I decided not too.  I have Sonos speakers throughout my household and I use airplay 2 so it doesn’t make sense.

And its too late to return the New TV.   Not really a deal breaker as I don’t listen to the tv speakers, always had a Playbar or beam and now the Sonos Arc.  I am hoping the update that Sonos is working on for LPCM will fix it., and if that fails to see how everyone does with the HD Fury Arcana adapter.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I doubt that you get Atmos when you have set all output to Multichannel PCM. Multichannel PCM 7.1 is not Atmos (5.1.2), but the classic 7.1 layout.