Answered

LPCM ETA for Arc?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

206 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Could be lots of people trying to do the update at once, make sure you update your other devices (iPhone, iPad, etc) so that at least you can get your hardware updated once the software is updated. Then come back to the Mac. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ah ok thanks. Yeah presumably that box doesn’t support LPCM which is why Apple TV doesn’t send such signal to it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

My setup is Sonos Arc, sub and 2 play:1’s + LG CX + Apple TV 4K. I have the LG set to HDMI bitstream and Passthrough. Apple TV is set to best available. The new Multichannel PCM seems to be working by looking at the About page in the Sonos App, but it shows Multichannel PCM 7.1, while this setup is still 5.1. Should it not show Multichannel PCM 5.1? The results is the channels are not being output from the correct speaker. Using a Surround Channel Test app on the Apple TV shows the channels all wrong, while before it was all good.

Yes it should be using 5.1 

My guess is that the update Sonos released has a bug or an oversight. I’m sure they’ll update it and after the update one of two things will happen. 1) It will default to 5.1 or 2) It will still show 7.1 and Sonos will implement proper 7.1 to 5.1 downmixing.

I’m leaning towards the 1st option being the more likely outcome

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Only just noticed this but any Dolby 5.1 content via my Apple TV 4K box is outputting in multichannel pcm 7.1?

Anyone else.

Lg cx setting all set to bitstream/ passthrough eARC on.

I don’t have an apple box to test, but if there is an option in the settings on the apple box to change the channel configuration to 5.1, then use that. 7.1 does not currently work correctly

This is such a random bug/issue as well. It implies that Sonos somehow never came across this issue during their testing but how lol?

Actually just checking Apple audio settings and I have it set as auto/ atmos available and it says audio will be decoded and sent to my equipment as uncompressed multichannel LPCM.

So looks like it’s doing as it should but as you say a bug currently with 7.1 side of things.

Can anyone confirm that Dolby 5.1 on Apple box should be outputting as multichannel LPCM though? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

It does support LPCM as it is full eARC. I guess it properly reports the Sonos limitations over EDID to the ATV which my Panasonic OLED doesn’t do properly (neither does LG).

Highly recommend the Arcana for Sonos Arc users!

Do people come on here as a way of passing time, for reasons other than to talk about Sonos products? Must have such fun lives.

We’re trying to troubleshoot an expensive soundbar that isn’t working properly. Beat it, Karen. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have another question if someone knows the answer I have an LG cx and oppo 203 Blu-ray player since this update for LPCM it means I can get better sound with DTS Blu-rays, before I got just stereo 2.0

I now get multichannel pcm 5.1/7.1.

My LG cx cannot passthrough DTS, it will flat out refuse to pass it, my 203 is set to bitstream and when I played a DTS Blu-ray I would get stereo 2.0, now with LPCM update I get the 5.1/7.1 as I said.

Even though the 203 player is set to bitstream is the decoding happening on the player for DTS, Just curious as like I said the cx can’t pass DTS, so does the 203 override my bitstream setting somehow and converts it.

yes that is correct LG TVs don't support DTS passthrough  https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

as for why 5.1 is now working, when you connect a hdmi device to another hdmi device they send packets to each other and in tow packet contains data about each devices capability (for example resolution, refresh rate, audio codecs, audio channels etc) and then each device tailors its output based on that for user experience reasons. I guess what's happening now is the ARC reports in this data packet that it supports LPCM, the TV accepts this and the TV tells your bluray player that the ARC supports LPCM and your bluray player then outputs it. Even though your bluray player is set to output DTS I don't think it's outputting dts, it's switched to LPCM or cross mixing  to LPCM

Userlevel 1
Badge

The wait for a feature that should have been there since day one is frustrating and It’s getting harder and harder to support Sonos and take it seriously as a home theater company. I’ve been holding on to updating my LG C9 for months so I don’t get a broken 5.1 support on Apple TV and now with new consoles coming out I might be forced to update my firmware to get the VRR fix from 5.00.03.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey there,

I have not read every reply in this thread but I have an LG BX 65” OLED (2020), Apple TV 4K and the Sonos Arc. Apple TV Atmos content is silent for me, dead silent. All other audio types worked perfectly. I thought it was an Arc+Apple TV issue because because Atmos worked perfectly from other sources, the built in TV apps, a Sony 4K Blu-ray player, Xbox. 

But then, I unplugged the Arc from the TV and switched the audio to the TV’s own built in “atmos” speakers. Apple TV 4K Atmos tracks also did not work here, once again it was silence and all other audio types from all sources worked perfectly.

The Television is the problem here, right?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Don’t forget, these expanded Apple menus only appear IF you are plugged into the ARC (eARC) port on your TV.

These are my exact settings, and it works perfectly with everything but the Apple TV 4K...

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Same here.  I appreciate the photos, but those settings are not allowing any sound through my Nano91. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @poerQwa 

We’re currently working on it, but at present have no details as to when that will be released in an update. Currently only 5.1 multichannel LPCM is supported on the Arc.

Hey there,

I have not read every reply in this thread but I have an LG BX 65” OLED (2020), Apple TV 4K and the Sonos Arc. Apple TV Atmos content is silent for me, dead silent. All other audio types worked perfectly. I thought it was an Arc+Apple TV issue because because Atmos worked perfectly from other sources, the built in TV apps, a Sony 4K Blu-ray player, Xbox. 

But then, I unplugged the Arc from the TV and switched the audio to the TV’s own built in “atmos” speakers. Apple TV 4K Atmos tracks also did not work here, once again it was silence and all other audio types from all sources worked perfectly.

The Television is the problem here, right?

Supposedly its that the Sonos Arc does not support Dolby LPCM yet and they are working on it according to a community manager.  This will allow the Apple TV 4K Hardware to passthrough the signal to Sonos Arc.  Internal Apps work on TV.

To answer your question is it the TV...yes, but it is also a little bit the fault of Apple and Sonos as well.

LG changed the FW in how they process LPCM and so I guess on many 2020 LG TV like you and I have, we then get no sound from the external Apple TV 4K Hardware if Atmos is enabled. Apple takes the position apparently to deliver Atmos differently and Sonos didn’t implement the Dolby LPCM at launch.

I have resolved myself to just using the internal apps on my 2020 LG i.e, Apple TV+, Netflix and Disney for now and therefore I do get Atmos on the Sonos Arc.    I am not super happy about the situation but I can not return the TV or Sonos Arc now.

Funny enough, Apple TV 4K does passthrough Atmos on my 2017 Oled to the internal TV speakers as well as the Sonos Arc.   I am not a techie and am just pointing out the items I read in other posts while I was trying to figure out just like you if my TV is a problem.  I contacted LG and Sonos and they were no help so I turned to the forums and there are a ton of people experiencing the same thing with 2020 LG models and the Apple TV 4K.  It also applies to the Xbox One X if you enable Atmos as they also send it as LPCM.

Here is the thread where they confirm they will add it.

Thanks Sonos!

A question,

Should I go with dts to eac3 transcode or run multi channel 7.1, which is better?

I do have multichannel pcm 7.1 now 🙃

No, some people come on here to launch silly threats demanding a completely unrealistic response time for their pet feature to be implemented. 

My LG BX updated it’s firmware last night and as of today is passing Dolby Atmos through to my Sonos Arc (from an Apple TV 4K). Even says “Dolby Atmos” in my Sonos App!

So maybe LG adjusted their firmware to pass through something the Arc is compatible with while Sonos get their own firmware sorted?

I have been able to pass atmos from my apple tv 4k to ARC since the CX was released back in April.

Was it certain apps on the apple box that prevented this?

There was an issue where LG updated their firmware to accept LPCM, so the Apple TV 4K would send that (which the Arc isn’t compatible with) and you’d get no sound unless you forced ATV to output at 5.1

Not sure why your CX wouldn’t have that issue unless you didn’t update firmware or something? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

My LG BX updated it’s firmware last night and as of today is passing Dolby Atmos through to my Sonos Arc (from an Apple TV 4K). Even says “Dolby Atmos” in my Sonos App!

So maybe LG adjusted their firmware to pass through something the Arc is compatible with while Sonos get their own firmware sorted?

I have been able to pass atmos from my apple tv 4k to ARC since the CX was released back in April.

Was it certain apps on the apple box that prevented this?

There was an issue where LG updated their firmware to accept LPCM, so the Apple TV 4K would send that (which the Arc isn’t compatible with) and you’d get no sound unless you forced ATV to output at 5.1

Not sure why your CX wouldn’t have that issue unless you didn’t update firmware or something? 

I have kept CX fully up to date.

I only really use my apple tv 4k for the apple content such as purchased movies but have never had an issue playing Atmos or DD 5.1 content.

My settings on CX are are set to passthrough with eARC on, and on the Apple box just the defaults Auto/atmos on.

On sonos App, it showed ATMOS DD+ or Dolby Digital 5.1

Strange.

I believe a new firmware is out in the UK, but currently Im on 3.10.44

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I have a 65NANO91ANA. Just updated to:

1. Apple tvOS 13.4.8
  2. Sonos 12.0.3
  3. LG 03.10.25

It appears that the LPCM support is still lacking and no change on the aforementioned Atmos comments.  I have preordered and HDfury Arcana in hopes it arrives before the software updates happen or my TV return policy expires. 

Note that Arcana won’t help you here. Apple TV 4k pushes out multi channel LPCM. So, until Arc supports that format, you will have to toggle the Apple TV sound output between Dolby conversion and “auto” for Atmos.

Hi, I posted a brief update about this here on a related thread but the forum doesn't let me duplicate the post.

Thank you

It certainly seems to be the case that this is the root cause of the problems.

Confusing it works sometimes for some content on the appleTV and not others.

Anyway, promising news.

One thing… i wonder if they can preemptively let us know its working and to give it a try?  Its a bit hit and miss checking and finding it not working.  It would be nice to get an official announcement when its done and we can set about checking it.

@jgatie A threat requires leverage...I don’t think my one Arc return is that much leverage against a business the size of Sonos. So relax. Now can you leave us alone to talk about this issue? Thanks.

Oh, so then it is an idle threat?  I beleive that makes my point.  

Userlevel 1

1. Apple tvOS 13.4.8
  2. Sonos 12.0.3
  3. LG 03.10.25

It appears that the LPCM support is still lacking and no change on the aforementioned Atmos comments.  I have preordered and HDfury Arcana in hopes it arrives before the software updates happen or my TV return policy expires. 

Note that Arcana won’t help you here. Apple TV 4k pushes out multi channel LPCM. So, until Arc supports that format, you will have to toggle the Apple TV sound output between Dolby conversion and “auto” for Atmos.

The ARC supports MAT2.0, which is what the AppleTV 4K puts out. Just chatted with HDfury and they verified it will work. Here’s the video where they proved it: https://streamable.com/xj2fbf

I did the new 4.80.03 update on my LG65OLEDC9. I right off the bat lost the center channel on the PS4 pro. It turns out the PS4 now recognizes the TV can decode 7.1 PCM. This issue  can be addressed easily by entering the main PS4 audio settings. The moment you open the audio settings it will mention how this device can support 7.1. You need to force it to 5.1 using the checkbox on that screen. Then change the output from PCM to Dolby. Everything works great. I just go into the game settings (last of us part 2) and make sure the audio home theater is set to 5.1 in game. 

I’m not sure this can be answered, but I will ask out of curiosity.  When Sonos delivers the LPCM update, will the Arc be able to receive 7.1 PCM? Or will we still need to force 5.1? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Ledzep1,

Apple TV 4K is able to output DD 5.1

In Audio Format, click on Change Format, and the new format will become DD 5.1.  The issue with this will be you will not receive full Atmos, and will need to change it back if you are watching a show or movie which you need it to be enabled.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

1. Apple tvOS 13.4.8
  2. Sonos 12.0.3
  3. LG 03.10.25

The ARC supports MAT2.0, which is what the AppleTV 4K puts out. Just chatted with HDfury and they verified it will work. Here’s the video where they proved it: https://streamable.com/xj2fbf

You will get Atmos, but with regular surround, you will revert to PCM 2.0. It’s an annoyance with Apple TV4k and current Arc LPCM support. Eventually, this will be fixed.