Connect Sub to Multiple Groups?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
If you had a conventional, wired system where you had a 5.1 home theatre system with sub, and an additional pair of hifi speakers, the same situation would exist. The sub would be wired to one environment or the other - either the home theatre setup or the hifi One. To connect to the other speaker set you’d have to re-wire it.

Sonos speakers are wireless, and configurable, and can be grouped. But there are limitations. If you have a stereo pair, you can’t suddenly decide you want just the “left” speaker running in tandem with a speaker in a different room.

I would speculate this this is analogous to why you can’t suddenly decide to run the Sonos sub with different speakers to the ones you initially bond it to, without first breaking that bond.

Yes, it would be a nice to have feature but I don’t see it happening.

I would also love to have this feature

Userlevel 2

Please add me too to the list of people requesting this functionality: living room with 2 Play 5 (gen 2), one  Sub (gen 2) l. Planning to buy a Beam that I would love to group to the Sub (and continue group the Sub to the 2 x Play 5)

thank you Sonos!

a

Userlevel 1
Badge

Put me on the list please. This is surely a common requirement especially given most modern living rooms are open plan and making the sharing of a sub component between speaker groups in that room is pretty fundamental.

It’s just as easy to group the Sonos players in such a combined room and play to all, with one player/room having the sub bonded to it.

that is certainly possible, but all in all too complex and you lose TruePlay

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos doesn’t lay out future plans, if they even exist, so no updates on feasibility from Sonos.

No, the new Sub Mini does not have this functionality, either. 

Speaking personally, I wouldn’t expect anyone at Sonos to be excited about implementing this, it would certainly cost them some undefined number of sales. 

I have a completely different point of view. I don't buy a Beam or other playbar as long as that's not possible. I'd rather buy a different manufacturer's system before putting a second sub in the living room (one for two Fives and another for home theater)

But that will lose you your Trueplay settings every time?

Not everyone has the ability to TruePlay their setup in a room and I don’t actually mind that issue if I’m just shifting a sub for a day or more - it only takes a few minutes to restore the TruePlay settings, but ‘yes’ it would be nice if a TruePlay profile could be saved and quickly restored. It’s not a deal breaker for me and it’s cheaper than perhaps purchasing another Sub, particularly if it’s something that’s only done occasionally and of course it makes no difference to  anyone who is not using/unable to use, TruePlay.

I’m a little queasy with respect to attempting to reuse a Trueplay profile. Depending on the room dimensions and SUB location, SUB’s effectiveness could change noticeably if SUB was not returned  exactly to its Trueplay spot.

I’m not quite so fussy, as in my ‘real world’ there are often doors that maybe left open/closed/part-open in a room, or curtains that can be open/drawn depending on the time of day and cushion/flowers that are moved about etc. and our chairs which maybe set upright, or reclined.

That said, I would put the Sub back and try to align it with indents in the carpet or marks on the flooring, so I would be happy to use a saved TP profile - and in some rooms I might Trueplay tune the room more than once aswell, to get a sound I prefer. In some cases I will even leave Trueplay disabled, if I think the sound seems better without it.

So I would like TP profiles that could be saved and perhaps cater for room curtains/doors being open or closed etc

Please add me to the list too.

I have an open space with both a TV and a turntable setup. In terms of the room’s layout it makes no sense to connect the two setups. However the TV’s Arc could easily share a sub with a separate Amp and speakers connected to the turntables.  Two subs is out of the question. If I can’t connect the sub to both setups, there are better and cheaper options.

Badge

+1 for this feature request.

With an open floor plan, my home thertre with arc, play 1 surrounds + sub, and my dining room with my play 5, the sub is pretty much exactly same inbetween the two set-ups. Would love to just use my play 5 w. sub vs having to activate the entire group to utilize the sub. 

Sounds like this feature hasn’t been implemented after 3 years and many users requesting it, correct? 
Add me to the list anyways! 🤞🏼

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Me too, please. I would like to use the same Sub on my Arc based Home Cinema setup and with a pair of Fives for listening to music. 

This is f**king rediculous that we’re waiting for some simple software feature like dual group speaker pairing. Sonos get your s**t togerther. The fact that I must constantly re-pair a sub so that I can have 2 different speaker configurations in my main listening area is absurd. 

You make good speakers, but your software team sucks. The resent abysmal rollout of the S2 software update, and simple software edits to offer features like room setups is laughable. I can accomplish this with phillips HUE lights, and the fact that it takes your cracked staff over a year to get the memo is very disappointing. 

Me too

Not currently, but we don’t know what may happen in the future. 

+1
I have a Ray as a PC monitor and would like to change “scenes” from when I use my TV with Arc.
Two Subs is not an option + I have a handful of other sonos speakers that also wants to be shared.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

One question though: Is it not possible to group two fives with an Arc, a sub and two ones? The ones are added to the arc as surround, and the five stereo pair is added to the Room? 
Does that not work? I could have sworn I have seen this demoed at a dealer...

Not unless it’s changed very recently. You can add the 5’s but they won’t sync properly i.e. you can’t use them as front left and right, even if you were happy that they’s also carry the centre 

If you had a conventional, wired system where you had a 5.1 home theatre system with sub, and an additional pair of hifi speakers, the same situation would exist. The sub would be wired to one environment or the other - either the home theatre setup or the hifi One. To connect to the other speaker set you’d have to re-wire it.

Not quite, @nik9669a. In that arrangement, I’d have a physical switch to determine the source of sound to the sub. What we’re asking for here is a virtual switch in the Sonos app, to toggle between the sub being paired with the sound bar or the Play 5s.

Not quite, @nik9669a. In that arrangement, I’d have a physical switch to determine the source of sound to the sub. What we’re asking for here is a virtual switch in the Sonos app, to toggle between the sub being paired with the sound bar or the Play 5s.

Forgive me for interjecting here, but Isn’t that what happens in the Sonos App anyway? If I goto my HT room settings and hit ‘Remove Sub’ it invites me to move it to another room. I select the ‘other’ room and it moves the Sub in seconds (or at least as quick as getting up out the chair to flick a switch to move it).

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

But you can turn trueplay on and off for a room without having to re-tune, so this suggests that it does remember?

Obviously this might be different if you take one part of the speaker grouping out?

But you can turn trueplay on and off for a room without having to re-tune, so this suggests that it does remember?

Obviously this might be different if you take one part of the speaker grouping out?

Wasn’t aware of that, but I wouldn’t qualify that feature as remembering a previous tune.  It’s storing the current tune, which is no longer valid when you remove or add a speaker to the room.  I understand that removing and adding a speaker without physically moving the speaker essentially makes the tune still valid, but this isn’t something that Sonos supports.

Please add me to this list as well. I recently purchased a Sonos Arc Surround sound set and wanted to use the sub with all my play ones grouped throughout my home in living room, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom when TV is inactive. Once I realized tia can’t be done I became quite dissatisfied. I know this can’t be done with a wired system which is why I switched to sonos! This shouldn’t be so difficult to configure. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Wasn’t aware of that, but I wouldn’t qualify that feature as remembering a previous tune.  It’s storing the current tune, which is no longer valid when you remove or add a speaker to the room.  I understand that removing and adding a speaker without physically moving the speaker essentially makes the tune still valid, but this isn’t something that Sonos supports.

So I just followed this through and switching the sub to the other room (my stereo pair of 5’s) is really easy but, as suspected, you need to re-tune each time you move it. You can skip that, of course, so if you don’t use Trueplay this would work a treat, but Trueplay makes such a difference for the TV group that I couldn’t leave it undone.

Still frustrating, therefore, especially so as the 5’s / Sub combo sounds fantastic. 

(PS - I wonder if you turned Trueplay OFF on the TV group before switching the Sub, if it would still be available to turn back on when you put the Sub back? No speakers are physically being moved in this scenario, so the tuning would still be valid?)

Very disappointed this feature doesn’t exist. It would certainly be a difference maker for me as far as considering a pair of Fives or Era 300 as my dedicated music speakers in my living room with an ARC for TV.  Having to buy separate Subs makes buying a different soundbar and/or stereo pair an equal consideration.  Amazing that Sonos can’t see the marketing benefit to this feature. It can’t be that hard to implement.  I suppose another consideration is buying two Sub Mini.  Have to wonder if Sonos doesn’t implement this feature to force customers into dual sub purchase.

No. The process of removing or adding a speaker erases any stored TruePlay and resets the ‘rooms’. 

I anm not suggesting a simultaneous pairing.  I understand from previous reading here that it is possible by removing sub from one and then adding to the other, or is this not the case. However by doing so Trueplay is lost and must be reconfigured each time. It would thus seem that having the ability to make groupings such as Eras Stereo w Sub and Arc w Sub could be automated to do the switching and handshake.  However having to reconfigure Trueplay  in most situations would likely make this undesirable as the sub placement likely wouldn’t be optimal for both scenarios.

I am considering the Sonos bundle with Arc, Sub and 2 Era 300s but in my living room would use the Eras as a stereo pair not as surrounds (think rectangular room with TV on long side facing a couch 10 feet away and Eras on short side facing a chair 14 feet away) . I have a dedicated home theatre in my basement so don’t really need the surrounds in my living room IMO as most serious surround viewing will be in my theatre. Being eligible for the 30% discount (from my Sonos 5) makes this compelling but having to add another sub makes it less so economically..  Then again, perhaps using the Eras as surrounds and the whole system together for music might be an acceptable alternative. I’m not sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But that will lose you your Trueplay settings every time?