Connect Sub to Multiple Groups?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Then it’s no use for me… Thanks!

Please add me to the list too, have two Play:5 (gen 2) in open plan room for music and Arc + 2x One for movies. Have a Sub on the way that I would like to use between the two!

Please add me to the list - I would also like to switch my sub between the Play 5 pair for audio & Beam for TV.

Badge

Yes, please add me to the request list.

I have a new ARC for the TV and 2x 5’s for sound and just purchased a Sub.

I’m interested in this functionality as well. Has there been any update on feasibility from Sonos?

What about the new Sub Mini, does it have it?

Sonos doesn’t lay out future plans, if they even exist, so no updates on feasibility from Sonos.

No, the new Sub Mini does not have this functionality, either. 

Speaking personally, I wouldn’t expect anyone at Sonos to be excited about implementing this, it would certainly cost them some undefined number of sales. 

+1 please add me to this.

Similar scenario to many others: open floor plan with 5.1 Sonos home theater setup + separate Play Five turntable setup. Would love it if the sub could be used for both (not at the same time, obviously)

Plus one on this. Disappointing this isn’t available. I have an outdoor system that is adequate 90% of the time, I’d like to be able to grab the sub and take it outside when the need arises.

Same here…. i have two Beams one fixed in a bedroom, the other one I move it in/out to the backyard. I would like to move the sub from one place to the other in a convenient way.

+1 for this feature. Open plan kitchen so being able to use the sub with the tv and playbar and for it to then autoswitch to the stereo Play3s when listening to music seems like an obvious feature to enhance the user experience. Look forward to seeing this in a future release. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Another vote here for this function. I have a stereo pair of Play5s in the lounge and an Arc/Rears/Sub set up in the same room For TV. It would be great to have the Sub work with both more easily that at present. 

Surely it would be possible to just switch the sub between the two sets with a toggle rather than having to go through all the rigmarole of moving between the “rooms”

Of course if Sonos want to make me REALLY happy then let me also use the 5s as the left and right in the TV setup, with the Arc doing the centre and Atmos. :grinning:

@LittleRedCorvette  Sonos doesn’t have a configuration of ‘two zones in the same room’ like you’re suggesting.  They have no way of saying you can share the sub as long as you place the sub in a room with two zones that share the same room.

So if Sonos did these, they would have to create this new type of room.  Taking your point a step further, you could allow a setup so the speakers in this room know that the 5s+sub should play music and the Arc+sub+surrounds should play TV audio...with no possibility of playing both at the same time. I would like that option personally.

But…..that would be a clear sign from Sonos that they do not think their Arc is good enough for music playback.  Not something Sonos wants to say, as they want the message to be that the Arc is great from TV and music.   It could end up turning away customers to other soundbars just as much as it gains in speaker sales.  Plus, customers will surely then insist that the two 5s be used for a wider front left/right on TV audio.  The point is that there are some side effects and unintended consequences if Sonos went in this direction that you might not be considering.

I’m not saying Sonos won’t do it or that I wouldn’t use it myself (I would actually), just not too surprised that it has not happened.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@melvimbe: the arguments are valid, except for the following two:

- A soundbar can never reproduce music as neutral as a balanced and neutral stereo pair (throwing effects around is something different ...)

- It's strange that SONOS offers turntables (of course with analog output, suitable for Play5: 2), but neither Beam nor Arc have an analog input (BTW: SONOS even offers bundles consisting of turntable and Play5:2)

Technically, those aren’t Sonos turntables, they’re made by another company. 

Please add my name for users requesting Sub to be supported for Multiple Zones 

I want to be able to use

Sub + Arc for TV

Sub + AMP with ceiling speakers for Music 

These are all in open plan Living and Kitchen area 

Same issue here. I have one sub that is connected with the soundbar for TV use and I also have two Play 5-Gen 2's that I use separately for just plain ole' stereo listening in the same room. I have the settings set up as two different rooms but I cannot connect my sub to both.WHY NOT???

That's just the way it is. The Sub can be semi-permanently bonded to one room and one room only. Sonos has never explained why and probably aren't going to start now.

Hey there, amfnyc. If you have two separate zones (TV - Beam & Living Room - 2x Play:5) your assumption would be correct. There can only be one device that has control over the Sub. A few users in the past have requested "scenes" in Sonos that would act as configuration presets. If you'd like, I'd be happy to add your name to the list for this feature request.

Please add me too!

I vote for this feature as well. I have two play 5s In the great room for music and and when I received my new Sub (GEN 3) before the arc I paired it with them. The sound was awesome. When the Arc arrived and I set it up for home theatre it wanted to sub to be paired to the Arc. A little disappointed when I wanted to listen to music on Saturday morning and the sub was absent.  Smart devices should be more flexible. The sub should sit on the system and you choose it for your playing environment. I think this should be easy, even if it means adding a boost!!  Come on Sonos this is a great idea!

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

+1 for me

have play 5 pair and want to hook sub to it as well 

+1 please add me to this as well - open floor plan and do my music and home theater watching separately but don’t want to buy a sep sub for each set up. Looking to upgrade my Gen 1 Play:5s in this space.

Please add me to the list too, have two One (+ Sub) for music left and right of the tv. I am going to buy a beam for my new tv and i would love to pair the sub to the beam and the stereo pair of One‘s. Re-grouping is not an Option as trueplay is essential in my room.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Please add me to the list too. Have 2 x play 5’s a sub and beam in the same physical space.

Ross.

I’m not quite sure why this wouldn’t be doable. The sub is playing a signal. What difference does it make if that signal is coming from the TV in a 5.1 setup, or from the wi-fi to play music w/ a stereo pair.

I’m new to the Sonos world, and I do love the sound, but the limitations in the configurations are perplexing. The advantage of a wireless set-up should be massive amounts of flexibility.

I have to imagine that if a company like Apple made similar products, they would be enormously more customizable (although probably only when using Apple devices!).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Get the Sub and try it on both the Beam and 5s, decide if you like it one place or the other more or if you really want a second one.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos doesn’t lay out future plans, if they even exist, so no updates on feasibility from Sonos.

No, the new Sub Mini does not have this functionality, either. 

Speaking personally, I wouldn’t expect anyone at Sonos to be excited about implementing this, it would certainly cost them some undefined number of sales. 

I have a completely different point of view. I don't buy a Beam or other playbar as long as that's not possible. I'd rather buy a different manufacturer's system before putting a second sub in the living room (one for two Fives and another for home theater)

What manufacturer allows you to use a single wireless sub with two different sound systems? Or are you saying you’d rather have 2 systems from 2 manufacturers rather than 2 systems from 2 different manufacturers.

I agree that Sonos is very unlikely to ever do this (as I’m sure I said before in this thread).  There seem to be two use cases.  The first is for people who want to move the sub to different rooms regularly. 

The second is for people who want 2 Sonos rooms in the same physical room.  One Sonos room is for music, and the second for TV, with the sub bonded between them. Lots of reasons why this won’t happen.  

• It’s development costs that doesn’t result in increased sales.
  • It’s not the right solution technically.  It would make more sense to allow customers to set thiis setup as one room, with different speakers playing for music or for home theatre (though still not the best idea)
  • It’s not a very good sales pitch.  “Or soundbars aren’t good for music, so we made it so you guy 2 more speakers that are good for music!”.  While other manufacturers continue to say they soundbars play music well.
  • The rumor is that Sonos is working on speakers that are like Five with Atmos upfringing channels.  Assuming this is true and works with home theatre, that would be the solution you want, not a hybrid work around solution.  So Sonos would be working on a solution, just not the solution you think you want.

Well, compared to the cost of a Sonos Sub, you get a complete system from another manufacturer for less money. But to be honest, that wouldn't be a nice solution either. I am a fan of intelligent, integrated solutions and not to forget: many systems - a lot of power consumption.

A system based on two Five-New would be the right approach. But I can already see it coming: the thing is announced and when it is there, the analog input for the turntables that Sonos also sells is missing. Never mind, but you can then fall back on another component ...

Another vote for this feature. 

Well, compared to the cost of a Sonos Sub, you get a complete system from another manufacturer for less money.

This implies that SUB provides no benefit relative to cheaper competition.

In my experience with some cheaper cousins, they don’t emit as much bass energy as SUB. With SUB you may notice some loose items inside the walls. I had to subdue some window rattles. I had not yet discovered while using another subwoofer that was larger (and more expensive, in current dollars) than two SUB’s strapped together.