Connect Sub to Multiple Groups?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

But that will lose you your Trueplay settings every time?

Not everyone has the ability to TruePlay their setup in a room and I don’t actually mind that issue if I’m just shifting a sub for a day or more - it only takes a few minutes to restore the TruePlay settings, but ‘yes’ it would be nice if a TruePlay profile could be saved and quickly restored. It’s not a deal breaker for me and it’s cheaper than perhaps purchasing another Sub, particularly if it’s something that’s only done occasionally and of course it makes no difference to  anyone who is not using/unable to use, TruePlay.

I’m a little queasy with respect to attempting to reuse a Trueplay profile. Depending on the room dimensions and SUB location, SUB’s effectiveness could change noticeably if SUB was not returned  exactly to its Trueplay spot.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey there, amfnyc. If you have two separate zones (TV - Beam & Living Room - 2x Play:5) your assumption would be correct. There can only be one device that has control over the Sub. A few users in the past have requested "scenes" in Sonos that would act as configuration presets. If you'd like, I'd be happy to add your name to the list for this feature request.

Please add me too!

Sounds like this feature hasn’t been implemented after 3 years and many users requesting it, correct? 
Add me to the list anyways! 🤞🏼

Perhaps just add the new Sub-Mini to the setup instead🤔?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So it appears that I owe Sonos an apology. On Sonos controller version 12.0.6, If you select the room that the sub is currently assigned to in settings, and select ‘remove sub’ you can immediately assign the hub to a new speaker group (room) without re-pairing. This accomplishes, at least for me, what I need the system to do and quickly group the sub with the supporting speaker groups based on music or multimedia playback.

Can’t wait to try this later. Major change if it works as simply as this

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

So it appears that I owe Sonos an apology. On Sonos controller version 12.0.6, If you select the room that the sub is currently assigned to in settings, and select ‘remove sub’ you can immediately assign the hub to a new speaker group (room) without re-pairing. This accomplishes, at least for me, what I need the system to do and quickly group the sub with the supporting speaker groups based on music or multimedia playback.

Just wonder if we have to retune the room after every re-pairing?

Me too. Have 2 ones as rear speakers and soundbar and sub as tv setup. Have also bought 2 ones as front speakers but cant add them :(

now in that same room i want to create a music setup with the obsolete ones and the sub that is also already used for tv set up but i &&@&&&&”@ i am not allowed to do so :(

is there alternative way to do this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I had a look at this (but didn't actually do it yet) and it says it will remove the tuning when you remove the sub from one room. The question is whether or not you can then just turn that back on when you add the sub back, or if it will require a new Trueplay tuning. Will experiment once as I want to re-tune the Arc /sub/rears set up anyway. 

I had a look at this (but didn't actually do it yet) and it says it will remove the tuning when you remove the sub from one room. The question is whether or not you can then just turn that back on when you add the sub back, or if it will require a new Trueplay tuning. Will experiment once as I want to re-tune the Arc /sub/rears set up anyway. 

The rooms/speakers don’t store previous ‘tunes’.  There is nothing to restore, when you add speakers back.  I doubt the speaker even knows that the recently added rear speakers or sub were previously part of the room.  It certainly doesn’t know that you’ve placed the speakers in the exact same position they were previously.

I would also like to be added to the list requesting this feature.

I’m planning on soon buying a pair of Fives for a space that shares a Beam/Sub combo.

It’s a relief that recent updates allow for easy enough re-grouping, but the ability to save groups/scenes sharing one Sub, allowing instant switching with stored Trueplay settings would be perfect. I’m not thrilled I’ll need to go through the Trueplay steps each time I switch the Sub’s speaker grouping. I won’t be moving any speaker’s location, so this step will feel a bit much.

Thankfully it seems the Fives do not need the Sub like the Beam does, so perhaps grouping the Fives to the Sub each time won’t be necessary. But still something I’d love to see in the future!

It's not going to speed up the switch, though it might save a couple of taps, it still needs to reconfigure the radios and perform the handshake.  I also have no idea how multiple Trueplay settings can be handled (and as a software engineer, I won't speculate how easy it is without any inside knowledge). 

And by the way, you are posting in a thread titled "Connect Sub to Multiple Groups?"  One can be forgiven if one thought that is what you are looking to do.

But that will lose you your Trueplay settings every time?

Not everyone has the ability to TruePlay their setup in a room and I don’t actually mind that issue if I’m just shifting a sub for a day or more - it only takes a few minutes to restore the TruePlay settings, but ‘yes’ it would be nice if a TruePlay profile could be saved and quickly restored. It’s not a deal breaker for me and it’s cheaper than perhaps purchasing another Sub, particularly if it’s something that’s only done occasionally and of course it makes no difference to  anyone who is not using/unable to use, TruePlay.

I’d also think there is likely a memory limit of the hardware on the speakers in storing unused TruePlay settings. And I could easily see a litany of complaints about ‘well, you store X, why not X+1’ complaints. 

While it makes sense for those who want to have a stereo pair for music and soundbar for TV, it's not a good fit if your rooms are actually different rooms physically. I can see people trying to 'cheat' by buying one sub and moving it around all the time to whatever room they feel like having a sub in. There is also the problem whenever a person decides wants to play the stereo pair and soundbar separately...which one gets the sub? I suppose you'd have to build in a mechanism for that.

Maybe the best solution would be to allow a single room setup where when music is requested, the stereo pair + sub play automatically. When TV audio is requested, the soundbar + rears + sub play automatically. This way, they system will play as the user wants without having to change any settings at all.

I can see two problems with this though. Although it could bring in more sales for Sonos, it may also give the impression that the soundbars don't play music very well. The other is that it seems like it's just a stop gap solution. For those who would go with this option, what they really want is a 5.1 setup with stereo and channel separation.(separate speakers for all 3 channels). If this were an actual option, no one would be trying to use 2 logical Sonos rooms into the same physical room. Or maybe it's just may.

Although, I am happy with my playbar setup, I'd seriously consider adding 2 play:5s to the room if this was an option.

Please add me to this list.

Beam and two Ones as surrounds with a Sub, and music system in the room next to it, where the Sub is on the shared wall and there are two arches between the rooms, not even a door separating them. Would be so ideal to share the sub seamlessly. 

Plus one on this. Disappointing this isn’t available. I have an outdoor system that is adequate 90% of the time, I’d like to be able to grab the sub and take it outside when the need arises.

Userlevel 1
Badge

???

While that is perfectly true, that is not an argument. the two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

I'll stick with it: the ability to share a Sub for two functions (stereo or soundbar) in one room (including TruePlay) would be an absolutely desirable function. Furthermore: the implementation of this function should be feasible with acceptable effort, because the automatic switching of the source when an analog signal is applied to a Play5:2 works also quite well.

I'll stick with it: the ability to share a Sub for two functions (stereo or soundbar) in one room (including TruePlay) would be an absolutely desirable function. Furthermore: the implementation of this function should be feasible with acceptable effort

The first part quoted is a truism, but none outside of Sonos development can have a valid opinion as to the second, related to the “acceptable effort” claim.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
An update on my setup...I had the sub connected to the two Play5s for a few months. It sounded good, but as I read on other threads, the sub did not add a tremendous amount to the Play5s. I was a little disappointed honestly.

A few weeks ago (for the season premier of GOT 😉 I "moved" the sub to be connected to the Beam. WOW! It made a huge difference for the Beam. Even shows without big bass are clearer, and it is fantastic for epic battle scenes. I'm finally glad I bought the sub.

I still wish it were easier to switch the sub between groups, but at least it has proven its worth.
Badge +2

Yes this indeed this would be great. I don’t have room for two subs in one room and I do enjoy truly separate channels when I listen to music. That is something no soundbar can fulfill. 

I cannot see me ‘physically’ moving the sub about my home (well not on a frequent basis, at least) so in my case I’ve attached the Sub to my Sonos HT and then I just group that room with the other Sonos Room (which is in the same physical room) whenever I’m playing music. I can live with that group setup and there is no need either, to keep TruePlay tuning the two rooms.

To get the requested setup being mentioned in this thread, it would need a feature that mutes all speakers in my HT setup (except for the sub itself ) I guess, but I’m quite happy to leave them all playing for now. There’s no point having the sub in one physical room and the speakers playing in a separate room, so grouping rooms will do for me.

On a slightly separate, yet maybe related topic, ...I would like to see a ‘balance-slider’ in the EQ of a HT room settings, as sometimes other people can take up the chosen ‘sweet spot’ when visiting our home and it would be ‘nice to have’ that option to adjust the audio left, or right, a little rather than having to retune (TruePlay) the HT room again. I think a balance slider could also provide more customisation to ‘perhaps’ assist when grouping rooms for their combined audio output, as mentioned above, where the grouped-room speakers include a HT setup and are all in the same physical room.  

Yes, assuming they are Play 5 (gen2) speakers and not gen1. You can create a 5.1 (Dolby Digital) 'bonded' surround sound system...

The Beam will be front left/right and center and the two Play 5’s will be the two rears which you can either set to 'Ambient' or 'Full' for music purposes. Then add the sonos sub to the room to handle the Bass.

That’s how I would personally choose to set things up... great for 5.1 TV surround sound too.

I wouldn’t choose to set things up as separate rooms and go onto group things, as you may find you encounter TV audio lip-sync issues... but it is fine to have such groups for playing music, that’s if you prefer not to use a 'bonded' surround setup. You will then only be able to add the sub to either the Beam (Room) or the Play 5 (Room) and not both.

When you 'bond' all speakers into one 5.1 sonos room there will not be any TV lip-sync issues.

I second the feature request. All concerns like which „room“ takes priority are easily solved in the user interface. Especially for today‘s open living concepts where a room is not one room, the current situation is limiting where it doesnt have to be.

While sharing the sub has priority, it should eventually extend to other components. I could leverage one of my Play:5 as additional rear center on the TV e.g. although its general use case is a Stereo Pair for Music for the overall bigger room.

I’m not quite sure why this wouldn’t be doable. The sub is playing a signal. What difference does it make if that signal is coming from the TV in a 5.1 setup, or from the wi-fi to play music w/ a stereo pair.

I suggest you read the thread.  Especially the posts about the reconfiguration of the radios which occurs when a Sub is added to a room.

I’d love being able to pair the sub to 2 systems in the same room, a stereo pair for music and a soundbar for movies...please Sonos!!!!!

YES, please OH please Sonos let us create groups with one or more of the same products we own.

+1 :) I think this should be a really common requirement/setup: 

Living room:

• Beam + 2 Ones + sub for TV
  • 2 Ones + Sub for music

Our TV setup including the Beam is nicely hidden in a closet when unused. This means that currently, we have to keep the Beam powered at all times and when we’re listening to music, the audio output of the Beam uselessly suffocates in the closet. Also, the current restrictions imply that we have to use the Beam for the voice assistant feature instead of one of the Ones, meaning that we have to scream our voice commands through the closet doors.