Connect Sub to Multiple Groups?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

Add me as one more vote for that feature as well.

I’m not quite sure why this wouldn’t be doable. The sub is playing a signal. What difference does it make if that signal is coming from the TV in a 5.1 setup, or from the wi-fi to play music w/ a stereo pair.

I suggest you read the thread.  Especially the posts about the reconfiguration of the radios which occurs when a Sub is added to a room.

I read the thread, I just don’t buy that explanation. Maybe I’m wrong, but I work professionally in tv and film, and it just seems like it should be doable.

Like, if a mixer is mixing a video, they definitely have the flexibility to play back audio either as 5.1 or 2.0 and still make use of a sub in both scenarios while using all the same speakers. There’s definitely less flexibility in the sonos system.

Maybe there’s a hardware limitation, but it seems like more of a software/programming limitation to me. It shouldn’t be that complicated.

It seems like a feature they’d be able to build if they wanted to.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Add my vote too. I would have bought two fives had this worked. (I have an Arc and a sub, would like a Hi-Fi group as well...)

Come on, Sonia!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

One question though: Is it not possible to group two fives with an Arc, a sub and two ones? The ones are added to the arc as surround, and the five stereo pair is added to the Room? 
Does that not work? I could have sworn I have seen this demoed at a dealer...

Please add me as wel. Setup is 2x play one's for music and 2x play1's with beam for movies.

@melvimbe: the arguments are valid, except for the following two:

- A soundbar can never reproduce music as neutral as a balanced and neutral stereo pair (throwing effects around is something different ...)

I don’t think anyone is arguing against that.  What I’m saying is that it stands to reason that Sonos might not want to advertise that their $800 soundbar isn’t good enough for music...and you spend another $500 on a pair of Fives.  It’s about marketing rather than the technical reality.  Those that know and care can get the additional Fives, as you and other’s have done.

- It's strange that SONOS offers turntables (of course with analog output, suitable for Play5: 2), but neither Beam nor Arc have an analog input (BTW: SONOS even offers bundles consisting of turntable and Play5:2)

I don’t see why that’s strange.  It’s a multiroom audio system where the different devices have different feature sets. The Beam/Arc are also not portable, or have audio outputs.  The Five doesn’t have HDMI-ARC/eARC input and no battery.  Neither can power passive speakers like the Amp. If you want to play your turntable through a Beam or Arc, you can do that just by grouping a Five or Port room with your Beam/Arc room.

Put me on the list please. This is surely a common requirement especially given most modern living rooms are open plan and making the sharing of a sub component between speaker groups in that room is pretty fundamental.

I would vote for this feature too. Can Sonos look into this matter please? The time seems right  with the new app coming out soon. 

Add me as one more vote for that feature as well.

I would like to express interest in this feature as well.  Would really add value to the Sub.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes please note me too, i have a 5.1 setup but for music i really prefer the Ones over the Arc (Which is a compliment for the ones) and also i would like to use them in the length of the room instead. 

So now its 5.1 but i would prefer Arc + Sub for TV and Ones + Sub for music. 

Would absolutely love this feature, just 2 or 3 trueplay saved combinations with the sub. 

I do understand that this would be a confusing option for the average consumer but please make an option for this for us lovers :) 

Put me on the list please. This is surely a common requirement especially given most modern living rooms are open plan and making the sharing of a sub component between speaker groups in that room is pretty fundamental.

It’s just as easy to group the Sonos players in such a combined room and play to all, with one player/room having the sub bonded to it.

+1. This issue is currently keeping me from purchasing an Arc.

Another pile on or add to the wish list for this feature. Pretty please!

I have a large common area upstairs with 2 Play 5s (stereo mode, w/TruePlay) and a sub--sounds great, really fills up the space; in 2 adjacent common area rooms I have a One in the office and a One in the master.  

Also in the common I have flay screen, new Beam and want the same (co-located) sub to pickup base tones while streaming TV/movies etc.  

Downstairs in the movie area, I have the Arc, 2x One SLs (rears) and a sub. This standalone and fully integrated setup (w/TruePlay) sounds absolutely fantastic in all formats/activities etc.… streaming HD TV, DVD/B-Ray movies and all genres of music...especially w/ HD radio.