Connect Sub to Multiple Groups?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
In my living room I currently have a stereo pair of Play5 for music. I'd like to add a Beam just for the TV. I'm also considering adding a sub. Is there any way to have the sub work with both the Play5s and the Beam depending on which is active? I'm assuming the answer is no, but I thought it would be worth asking.

114 replies

I’d love being able to pair the sub to 2 systems in the same room, a stereo pair for music and a soundbar for movies...please Sonos!!!!!

I would also love to have this feature

I’d love being able to pair the sub to 2 systems in the same room, a stereo pair for music and a soundbar for movies...please Sonos!!!!!

YES, please OH please Sonos let us create groups with one or more of the same products we own.

Very disappointed this feature doesn’t exist. It would certainly be a difference maker for me as far as considering a pair of Fives or Era 300 as my dedicated music speakers in my living room with an ARC for TV.  Having to buy separate Subs makes buying a different soundbar and/or stereo pair an equal consideration.  Amazing that Sonos can’t see the marketing benefit to this feature. It can’t be that hard to implement.  I suppose another consideration is buying two Sub Mini.  Have to wonder if Sonos doesn’t implement this feature to force customers into dual sub purchase.

Sonos doesn't implement it because it's not possible.  The connection to a Sub or surrounds is a special ad hoc one way 5GHz direct connection.  Which is why it takes time to reconfigure the radio and perform the handshake necessary for this special connection.  Also, it's simply not possible to have two of these direct connections at once to a single sub.

But go ahead and search for a wireless multi-room home audio system which does allow you to assign a sub to more than one room.  Let us know what you find.

I anm not suggesting a simultaneous pairing.  I understand from previous reading here that it is possible by removing sub from one and then adding to the other, or is this not the case. However by doing so Trueplay is lost and must be reconfigured each time. It would thus seem that having the ability to make groupings such as Eras Stereo w Sub and Arc w Sub could be automated to do the switching and handshake.  However having to reconfigure Trueplay  in most situations would likely make this undesirable as the sub placement likely wouldn’t be optimal for both scenarios.

I am considering the Sonos bundle with Arc, Sub and 2 Era 300s but in my living room would use the Eras as a stereo pair not as surrounds (think rectangular room with TV on long side facing a couch 10 feet away and Eras on short side facing a chair 14 feet away) . I have a dedicated home theatre in my basement so don’t really need the surrounds in my living room IMO as most serious surround viewing will be in my theatre. Being eligible for the 30% discount (from my Sonos 5) makes this compelling but having to add another sub makes it less so economically..  Then again, perhaps using the Eras as surrounds and the whole system together for music might be an acceptable alternative. I’m not sure.

It's not going to speed up the switch, though it might save a couple of taps, it still needs to reconfigure the radios and perform the handshake.  I also have no idea how multiple Trueplay settings can be handled (and as a software engineer, I won't speculate how easy it is without any inside knowledge). 

And by the way, you are posting in a thread titled "Connect Sub to Multiple Groups?"  One can be forgiven if one thought that is what you are looking to do.

I’d also think there is likely a memory limit of the hardware on the speakers in storing unused TruePlay settings. And I could easily see a litany of complaints about ‘well, you store X, why not X+1’ complaints. 

+1
I have a Ray as a PC monitor and would like to change “scenes” from when I use my TV with Arc.
Two Subs is not an option + I have a handful of other sonos speakers that also wants to be shared.

+1
I have a Ray as a PC monitor and would like to change “scenes” from when I use my TV with Arc.
Two Subs is not an option + I have a handful of other sonos speakers that also wants to be shared.

I wouldn't plan on this ever coming to fruition.  It's been requested since the first Sub a decade ago, and there's never been an inkling it is even possible, never mind in the works.

I’m not quite sure why this wouldn’t be doable. The sub is playing a signal. What difference does it make if that signal is coming from the TV in a 5.1 setup, or from the wi-fi to play music w/ a stereo pair.

I’m new to the Sonos world, and I do love the sound, but the limitations in the configurations are perplexing. The advantage of a wireless set-up should be massive amounts of flexibility.

I have to imagine that if a company like Apple made similar products, they would be enormously more customizable (although probably only when using Apple devices!).

I’m not quite sure why this wouldn’t be doable. The sub is playing a signal. What difference does it make if that signal is coming from the TV in a 5.1 setup, or from the wi-fi to play music w/ a stereo pair.

I suggest you read the thread.  Especially the posts about the reconfiguration of the radios which occurs when a Sub is added to a room.

I suggest you read the thread.  Especially the posts about the reconfiguration of the radios which occurs when a Sub is added to a room.

I read the thread, I just don’t buy that explanation. Maybe I’m wrong, but I work professionally in tv and film, and it just seems like it should be doable.

Like, if a mixer is mixing a video, they definitely have the flexibility to play back audio either as 5.1 or 2.0 and still make use of a sub in both scenarios while using all the same speakers. There’s definitely less flexibility in the sonos system.

Maybe there’s a hardware limitation, but it seems like more of a software/programming limitation to me. It shouldn’t be that complicated.

It seems like a feature they’d be able to build if they wanted to.

I read the thread, I just don’t buy that explanation. Maybe I’m wrong, but I work professionally in tv and film, and it just seems like it should be doable.

Like, if a mixer is mixing a video, they definitely have the flexibility to play back audio either as 5.1 or 2.0 and still make use of a sub in both scenarios while using all the same speakers. There’s definitely less flexibility in the sonos system.

Maybe there’s a hardware limitation, but it seems like more of a software/programming limitation to me. It shouldn’t be that complicated.

It seems like a feature they’d be able to build if they wanted to.

You don’t buy objective facts?  As stated before:  The connection to a Sub or surrounds is a special ad hoc one way 5GHz direct connection.  Which is why it takes time to reconfigure the radio and perform the handshake necessary for this special connection.  Also, it's simply not possible to have two of these direct connections at once to a single sub.

These are facts, not an “explanation”.  Disagreeing with them is like disagreeing water is wet.  Also, comparing them to a fully wired system isn’t apples and oranges, it’s apples and satellite dishes.

In addition, I find it telling that the Sonoseqncer app does all sorts of things the Sonos app doesn’t - pair unlike models, set levels across groups, set levels across all speakers, etc.  One thing it does not do is quickly and easily switch a Sub from one configuration to another, or have it bonded to more than one room at once.   If it is “more of a software/programming limitation” the rule breaking people behind the Sonoseqncer app probably would have done it by now.