14.14 is out, did it fix Arc+Sub for you?

• 23 August 2022
  • 84 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

84 replies

Volume mapping has no effect on the ultimate sound quality, but it might influence our perception of how “powerful” the unit might be. If units ‘A’ and ‘B’ have identical maximum output power, but unit ‘A’ must be set to ‘20’ while ‘B’ must be set to ‘40’ for normal listening level, ‘A’ will be perceived as more powerful -- even though at the maximum control setting the units will have identical output.

In this example ‘A’ may be more difficult to control at lower listening levels because the steps are larger.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I will await the Peter Pee video to see what his thoughts are and to compare the sound curve. However, for what it's worth, I'd say it's worse. No difference to the volume mapping (which we were told was intentional, so not expecting that to change) and the mids are even further pronounced in my opinion. Dialogue is off, Trueplay never tuned so it's always been off. No EQ enhancements, no level changes.

Like I said in the 14.12 thread, they couldn't even tell us they'd released this 14.14. Well and truly buried their heads in the sand. Very disappointed in spending a ton of money in something that doesn't sound as good as when I bought it. Proper shame

The effects of TruePlay, if any, depend on your room, equipment layout, and listening position. The goal of TruePlay is to balance the sound (as much as possible) and correct issues. In some cases the layout is already very good and there is nothing that TruePlay can improve. Placement of SUB is very room dependent. For example, placing SUB in a corner will increase its output. If TruePlay then corrects this imbalance, the initial observation might be negative if you are a bass freak.

In my college apartment there was a very gross room issue and if I placed a chair at a certain spot, the bass notes seemed to explode from inside your body. This was the absolute favorite listening spot for young males. In this context if TruePlay fixed the room anomaly TruePlay would have been an unwelcome “improvement”.

Trueplay cannot make much improvement for rooms that are very poorly arranged or have too many reflections.

Also, if we have become used to a certain sound character, any change can be initially unwelcome.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Deleted 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Do you notice any difference in sound when TruePlay is on? In my case, it only cuts the base. When I remove Sub from the system, TruePlay doesn’t change the sound at all. 

Yes it sounds worse plus no bass at all unless you turn it up to over +6

Userlevel 3
Badge

Do you notice any difference in sound when TruePlay is on? In my case, it only cuts the base. When I remove Sub from the system, TruePlay doesn’t change the sound at all. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sounds fine to me. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Sound still awful turned truplay off again after retuning still centre /treble heavy another couple of months to wait before they release another update 

Vocals are clear though piercing clear in fact...

The sound is okay for me now