Question

The new Sonos S2 App Sucks

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

184 replies

@chambolle,

Well I hope it gets sorted for you. I certaintly don’t want to see anyone lose/trash their products as the Sonos hardware is excellent IMHO . I don’t use the "recently played" features and have that switched off, so can’t comment on that, but everything else you have mentioned seems to be working okay here on my iPad controller. It only takes about 7 seconds to launch the App on a 1GB/s connection here. So not sure why you are having difficulties, but maybe the future updates of the App will perhaps resolve the problems you’re seeing.🤞

@chambolle,

Well I hope it gets sorted for you. I certaintly don’t want to see anyone lose/trash their products as the Sonos hardware is excellent IMHO . I don’t use the "recently played" features and have that switched off, so can’t comment on that, but everything else you have mentioned seems to be working okay here on my iPad controller. It only takes about 7 seconds to launch the App on a 1GB/s connection here. So not sure why you are having difficulties, but maybe the future updates of the App will perhaps resolve the problems you’re seeing.🤞

Well, it might be that the app for i-Products still works. For me it is the Android app. I lost connection systems in two locations, and they simply won’t come back.

@chambolle,

Well, it might be that the app for i-Products still works. For me it is the Android app. I lost connection systems in two locations, and they simply won’t come back.

The Android App is working here too - I just happen to have the App on an Android 13 tablet controlling the same Sonos Household. Maybe try signing out and removing/reinstalling yesterdays updated Sonos App and see if that perhaps works for you.🤞

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Ken, I’m not sure why you’re able to pull up playlists on the app on your ipad. Here’s what my display looks like. Playlists nowhere. No queue editing, other than to add tracks to a queue. Recently played either says ‘could not load data’ or promises to load ‘once you’ve played some content.’ I have all updates installed on the speakers and the ipad. 

Yes, the queue editing is not in the new Sonos App at the moment. It’s hopefully going to be added later in an update.

Are you not seeing playlists if you go into your ‘Sonos Favorites’ pinned category by selecting the ‘>’  on the right hand side of your screen?

The other things below my own Sonos Favorites are other pinned categories from Amazon Music and Sonos Radio etc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Nope. If I click >, all I get is this:

Can you perhaps try adding something to a Sonos playlist from say Amazon music to see if it shows up in that area?

edit: That said, the few Sonos playlists I have here, were imported from the previous S2 App.

It’s letting me add ‘playlists’ from Amazon Music into that area in the new App, but I can’t create my own Sonos playlist, as far as I can see. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

If you have Sonos playlists, your app is working in ways mine does not. I had (or hopefully still have) a couple dozen Sonos playlists that will still display using the web controller. They do not appear in the new app for iOS.  I do not have playlists set up in my amazon and napster services.

And I assume I still cannot create and edit a queue, save it as a playlist, exit the cue and start a new queue. 

Which is how I used Sonos for years; and which worked very well for me until somebody decided to pull the rug out from under.

If you have Sonos playlists, your app is working in ways mine does not. I had (or hopefully still have) a couple dozen Sonos playlists that will still display using the web controller. They do not appear in the new app for iOS.  I do not have playlists set up in my amazon and napster services.

And I assume I still cannot create and edit a queue, save it as a playlist, exit the cue and start a new queue. 

Which is how I used Sonos for years; and which worked very well for me until somebody decided to pull the rug out from under.

There’s ongoing App development work as you may have seen and some things are posted here…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Sonos ‘future feature updates’ says:  

• Create and edit local music library: July

It’s not entirely clear what that means. Does it mean pre-existing Sonos playlists are back? Does it mean a new queue can be saved as a Sonos playlist? Only the shamans at Sonos know for sure. Sounds intentionally ambiguous to me. 

The functions that are most important to me are gone. There’s little to inspire confidence they will be restored.

I can play music via Sonos speakers, but it’s a really clunky interface and a really bug-ridden experience. The app still loads only when it’s in the mood, volume controls work and then do not; it will say ‘no music’ where my queue used to be, until I restart my ipad and hope it will resurface. Recently played is a dead letter. As for all the nonessential buzzers and bells like trueplay, alarms, timers, voice control… I frankly could care less and haven’t tried to determine whether they work or not.

I’ll keep checking in to see if there’s more positive news. I’ll keep installing updates as they’re released in the app store. But at some point — perhaps the end of July — it’ll be time to throw in the towel and look for a better alternative. By then Sonos will have had two full months to rectify the fiasco it created. That’s about the extent of my patience.

New Sonos App is horrible! Drops connections, plays on wrong speakers, volume control is a guess at best, my iphone volume buttons should control the volume on the App but they don’t, the whole new redesign is “messy” and not at all intuitive. Come on Sonos FIX THIS APP or Roll back to the old one and try again!! please!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It does seem ken griffiths does have his playlists back on the app as well as a working recently played function. Which makes me wonder why I do not, as I have all updates on my speakers and the app.

Question for the Sonos folks, if they are watching: could it be because I have a 1st gen ipad pro that will not install iOS 17? I do have the latest update for iOS 16; and your most recent Sonos app updates specifically say they resolved issues using earlier generation ipads.

Because as of today, the app on my ipad is no better than it was a few weeks ago. Other users seem to have better results.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Question for the Sonos folks, if they are watching: could it be because I have a 1st gen ipad pro that will not install iOS 17? I do have the latest update for iOS 16; and your most recent Sonos app updates specifically say they resolved issues using earlier generation iPads.

Hi @chambolle, I do not see how your ‘older’ iPad could be an issue. You are running the exact same code as a newer iPad and iPadOS 16 is 100% supported.

It does seem ken griffiths does have his playlists back on the app as well as a working recently played function. Which makes me wonder why I do not, as I have all updates on my speakers and the app.

Question for the Sonos folks, if they are watching: could it be because I have a 1st gen ipad pro that will not install iOS 17? I do have the latest update for iOS 16; and your most recent Sonos app updates specifically say they resolved issues using earlier generation ipads.

Because as of today, the app on my ipad is no better than it was a few weeks ago. Other users seem to have better results.

If you go into Amazon Music and goto their playlists - just add one of theirs to your Sonos Favorites… it should show in the section we discussed off the Home Screen. That’s what you’re seeing in my screenshot. Let me know if that works for you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Thanks for clarifying… so those are amazon’s ‘pre-packaged’ playlists; not Sonos playlists you assembled and saved. So I’m not missing something… whatever the app can do at present is what it is doing for me. 

Which still leaves much to be desired.

Thanks for clarifying… so those are amazon’s ‘pre-packaged’ playlists; not Sonos playlists you assembled and saved. So I’m not missing something… whatever the app can do at present is what it is doing for me. 

Which still leaves much to be desired.

Yeah, I’m not sure what’s going to happen with Sonos created/saved playlists, but assume they will be implemented at some later time… at the moment I’m just seeing the option to save MSP playlists to the ‘Sonos Favorites’ area only. Maybe it will return when queue editing and saving is introduced.🤔

The app is terrible, not user friendly and lacks response when toggling speakers. Volume toggle is brutal as well and very delayed/responsive. 

please tell me Sonos is reviving this again or push back to previous version. 

For such an amazing technology company they dropped the ball on this revamp. However / we’re all human and we learn! So / excited and confident the updated version will be bad to the bone!

#LongLiveSonos #SonosHasChunksOfBoseInItsStool 

Why not a class action lawsuit?   We all spent thousands on devices we can’t use because of Sonos incompetence and awful app.   You would think just the threat of litigation would motivate them to correct this disaster.  Has to be killing them on word of mouth - why would anyone invest in a system they can’t access or control?

Why not a class action lawsuit?   We all spent thousands on devices we can’t use because of Sonos incompetence and awful app.   You would think just the threat of litigation would motivate them to correct this disaster.  Has to be killing them on word of mouth - why would anyone invest in a system they can’t access or control?

I’m not seeing any issues either accessing, or controlling, the Sonos System here with the new Sonos App. If you’re perhaps having a problem with your setup, then maybe contact Sonos Support via this link below:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

This truly weird. I opened the app an hour or two ago, clicked on the ‘>’ next to ‘sonos favorites’, and my Sonos playlists popped up along with albums and songs. I thought ‘wow, we’re making progress’!

I tried again moments ago, and no playlists. Gone. I rebooted my ipad. Tried again. Sonos playlists still gone.

What the heck?

I actually can’t believe how bad this new app is and the trouble I am having with my system at the moment.

I have went from being proud owner and telling people how good sonos is to actually starting to have a dislike for it

sonos owner/user since 2017, please revert to old app version before you lose loyal customers 

Thanks

AJ

Badge

OMG this app is terrible.  Every time I open it, it pretends it’s the first time I’ve ever seen the system.  Volume control takes forever, if it works at all.  The overall experience is laggy and annoying and slow.  And it’s missing features (cue, etc.).  What’s the good part?

Glad I’m not alone.   I have three full SONOS setups in three different locations and the upgrade to the App makes me regret all of it.   I’d pay money to downgrade to the previous app.   Can’t even play music anymore, constantly switches to different speakers when I don’t want it to.   At my house, it thinks each Amp is an entirely different Sonos system, where as at the barn and office at least there is just one system detected.   I absolutely detest this thing.   

I actually can’t believe how bad this new app is and the trouble I am having with my system at the moment.

I have went from being proud owner and telling people how good sonos is to actually starting to have a dislike for it

sonos owner/user since 2017, please revert to old app version before you lose loyal customers 

Thanks

AJ

Agreed, I’d pay money for the old app as an “upgrade” if I had to.