Considering leaving Sonos entirely?!

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

After two and a half years of owning the five I’m considering leaving Sonos entirely. I’ve found the app and the five speaker both to be problematic. The five speaker regularly disconnects, every 3-5 weeks it will disconnect (no internet change, no physical change in the environment where the speaker is) and it will not work for about a week and then it will suddenly work again. Resetting, factory reset, sometimes not always, works. Then go to the app - which is the first step in diagnosing why the speaker isn’t working. The app itself I have a tonne of qualms with. Every time I open it a new section is greyed out or simply unusable. Every time I have this issue I have to look online and I see numerous other people having issues with Sonos functionality as well but its all over the place - archived answers from years ago etc. We’re looking to outfit our house with a complete audio solution in 2 years, I bought the five to “test drive” sonos as a company and tbh I have been defending sonos to my partner on this topic but this week has been the final straw. Please anyone, can you answer why I should stay with this company? 

p.s. the in app trouble shooting for this is awful. All it does it ask if your devices are online / on the same network - then the support ends. I respect this is like 90% of tech issues to begin with. But after I answer yes to all those the support can’t simply end at “more information” which leads to 1. Repeat question already answered in trouble shooting steps prior, and 2. Are you logged in? Which I’d love to know but since the app shows me as greyed out with no support on that topic well, who’s to say if its reading me as logged in or not - says I am but the grey must imply something. Finally, the support ends at the more info screen - so if those 3 questions didn’t lead you to a resolve the user is just SOL. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

@ratty The router called ‘’House2’’ serves to create a network entirely and exclusively dedicated to Sonos devices as Ken Grifftins explained to me.

Does Sonos work okay with it then? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@ratty I haven't had time to take the test yet, it will be done this week because I have a little more free time. But I like to find out what to do beforehand.

Well, to be honest I don’t really understand why there’s a dedicated AP for Sonos. Sonos ought to work on ‘HOUSE1’, i.e. the Orbi mesh. Moving on...

On the assumption that ‘HOUSE2’ is the only SSID stored in the Sonos system then returning to your question here I’d suggest you connect new Sonos devices to ‘HOUSE2’ and anything else to the Orbi’s ‘HOUSE1’. Both SSIDs will be on the same IP subnet.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Ok then if both ssid will be on the same ip subnet then there are not need to rename it to the same ssid and same password like explained earlier?

To be frank I don’t understand the rationale for installing a separate AP. What model is it? What channels is it using? How is it better than the Orbi? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Its been 2 years now you non stop told me that i have network interference issue. Then isolate them to an entirely new network is not a good idea?

It was Sonos Support -- who actually have access to the diagnostic data -- who said you have a wireless interference issue. They in fact suggested wiring as many devices as possible.

I’ve certainly not recommended setting up a separate AP. If it’s in the same location as the Orbi primary node it’s likely to do more harm than good. 

@ratty The router called ‘’House2’’ serves to create a network entirely and exclusively dedicated to Sonos devices as Ken Grifftins explained to me.

Just to try to put the record straight here… That’s not what I was saying @Thewizard2000 - it seems like you’re now using double NAT in your case for your Sonos setup. I merely suggested that you follow the Staff advice in the link I gave you and to perhaps switch and run the Orbi system in ‘bridged AP’ mode, rather than ‘router’ mode, meaning that you do not use an Orbi ‘primary’ Hub as your main router, but use a 3rd party router instead, with its WiFi disabled and switch the Orbi to become the local subnets wireless access points - I suggested it would be ideal aswell to wire the Orbi AP’s back to the router, or an adjacent switch, if practicable. I did not mention setting up a second router and begin using double NAT, if that is indeed what you’re currently doing 🤔? - that would be entirely different to what I was suggesting earlier in the thread, if you perhaps look back at my posts.