Won't Update Music Library, Part 2

Show first post

112 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

It’s just strange that once in manifested on Sonos (which, to my understanding, is the only thing with relevant changes - the firmware on my router didn’t change, nor did the physical HD), it continued to (mis)behave this way, even after installing a new router. (And it is supposed to be a pretty good router...

I haven’t assigned specific access to the music folder on the router, because the drive - and all its folders - support other things on the network.

I suppose the solution at this point is to buy a burner PC, put it on the network, share its My Music folder, and hide it under the couch.

I haven’t assigned specific access to the music folder on the router, because the drive - and all its folders - support other things on the network.

Might it be worth a try, despite apparently being unnecessary?

What is your current router make and model?  (Sorry if I have missed this info)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

So in all this trouble accessing the drive from Sonos, you haven't assigned any specific access and just hope it will work.

And instead of looking at how the access is configured, your next step is to get an extra pc and leave that powered on just to serve music files? 🤦‍♂️

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

So in all this trouble accessing the drive from Sonos, you haven't assigned any specific access and just hope it will work.

And instead of looking at how the access is configured, your next step is to get an extra pc and leave that powered on just to serve music files? 🤦‍♂️

Um, I have spent probably a hundred hours going around with Sonos “help” options to get it to work.

I have not specified a folder on my router; it is a networked drive, not a networked subdirectory.

As I have posted several times, I have tried every option that I can think of for Sonos to map to that directory.

In other words, I have not limited the network to one specific subdirectory. I have a drive on my network that should be unrestricted to any and all authorized network users. The Sonos interface appears (and at one time, did) to be able to connect to a specific subdirectory on that network drive. To limit the access at the router level renders massive amounts of network functionality obsolete, just for the sake of Sonos’ convenience. And, since many people have posted that they can map Sonos to specific subdirectories on their drive, I am fairly confident that cannot be the cause/solution.

I don’t know where you think I am “not looking at how the access is configured”; I have tried every suggestion, no matter how irrelevant, the Community and Sonos “help” has offered.

Another suggestion that might (or might not) narrow down the possible causes. Put a few dozen tracks on a USB flash drive, put it in the USB slot on the router and see if Sonos can find and index the music.

I thought I remembered that “solid state” drives were a concern - I don’t remember if that was router-based, or Sonos-based. But since I can’t find where I “learned” that, I actually just bought a new Sandisk stick that I will try this weekend.

I also bought a higher-gauge extension cord for the router and a shorter cord for the USB drive. For the love of God, if this comes down to just being fluctuating current...

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

What is your current router make and model?  (Sorry if I have missed this info)

Link was in post immediately above yours - TP-Link Archer AX73 AX5400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6.

(Because I learned to type on a typewriter, I still underline things and on this forum underlines look like links….)

@Alonzo Mosley,
So perhaps try this suggestion .. ignore the seamusic folder altogether and instead create a brand new folder called ‘Music’ next to it, with path of //RJBMUSIC/g/Music

Drop a few music tracks into that new music folder (just as a test), then add that path to the Sonos App Library settings and ‘index’ the library and see if that then see’s the few test-tracks in the music folder.

Another suggestion that might (or might not) narrow down the possible causes. Put a few dozen tracks on a USB flash drive, put it in the USB slot on the router and see if Sonos can find and index the music.

I thought I remembered that “solid state” drives were a concern - I don’t remember if that was router-based, or Sonos-based. But since I can’t find where I “learned” that, I actually just bought a new Sandisk stick that I will try this 

I have used a USB stick plugged into a router as my Sonos Music Library. It was at least 5 years ago and was using a travel router. So it is, or has been, possible.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Not just this forum; the underlining of links is a world wide web standard, which is why underlining for emphasis is frowned upon.  Try bolding or italics.

But the worldwide (not just web) standard is to mark links in other colors. And, yes, italics are the digital-age equivalency, but I find in most cases that when writing in a space that refers to lots of things that should be italicized (e.g., album titles), underlining can enhance clarity.

Also, underscoring something and italicizing something are two different levels of intensity. I can’t believe that I, of all people, am mansplaining this. Ah, well. c’est la vie!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I have used a USB stick plugged into a router as my Sonos Music Library. It was at least 5 years ago and was using a travel router. So it is, or has been, possible.

Cool. Got a new 512GB stick right here. Will report back…

It does depend on whether the router supports that as an NAS, though. Some routers do, others don’t. Best bet would be to test, as you’re doing, or read the router’s instruction manual extensively, since it will be non-obvious. 

Yes, I think the seamusic folder is perhaps more to do with its DLNA server service, which is visible in the windows network area in the screenshot posted earlier, rather than an smb share. That was why my thoughts were to maybe try dropping a few music files in a different folder called ‘Music’ to see if that was then shareable and viewable as a Sonos library, once the path is switched to it and has been indexed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I am not sure if this is relevant (clearly it’s for a different TP-link model) but I’ll throw it into the mix just in case:

https://www.tp-link.com/fr/support/faq/2039/

The steps in that link are exactly what I’ve done. If you look at the screenshots of the router interface, it’s labeled “Network/Media Server Name”. (Additionally, it shows up in WIndows Explorer Network as a “Media Device”.)

I was feeling optimistic:

• I put a new higher-gauge extension cord on the router
  • I put a new, shorter data cord on the drive
  • I mapped to the entire drive (“\\rjbmusic\g\” not “\\rjbmusic\g\seatunes”
  • It worked!
    So, like a complete idiot, I:
  • Created a new subdirectory called “Music”
  • Put one album (Nebraska, if you must know) in Music
  • Added that as a library (\\rjbmusic\g\Music)
  • It did not work - because it was a subset of the larger Library
    So, like someone who has been dropped on his head repeatedly, I:
  • Deleted the working Library and added that single-album folder
  • It worked!
    So I
  • Added some new albums - about nine
  • Tried “Update Music Library”
  • It did not work
    But this is kinda what happens sometimes, for a while I could delete the Library and re-add it when it wouldn’t update (essentially from Novemberish 2021 through August 2022)
    So, like a mouth-breathing flat-earther, I:
  • Deleted (\\rjbmusic\g\Music) and tried re-adding it
  • Effin NOTHING. Cannot add.
  • Cannot re-add the whole drive - which is what worked 12 hours ago

I thought, by definition, any storage device attached to and accessed via network devices (e.g., routers, switches) was a “Network Attached Storage” device, a/k/a NAS. Since the router actively supports and encourages attaching storage devices, what clever parsing of the semantics am I missing?

Back at Square One, again.

Going to try the SanDisk solid stick now.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Last thing before getting the USB stick out.

I added “Music” as an empty folder. Easy-peasy.

I added Nebraska (album) to it.

Now - both when I tried to update, and when I deleted and tried to re-add - I am getting this message:

Although, again, every other device on my network can access \\rjbmusic\g\

Have you checked with TP-Link? It sure sounds like there is something odd in their side of things. If Sonos can read a single folder, then it’s working properly. If it can’t read sub folders, then the TP-Link is doing something odd with SMB permissions. 

I await with great interest (genuinely) news of what happens with the stick.  Given what has happened so far, I can only be described as hopeful rather than optimistic.

Last thing before getting the USB stick out.

I added “Music” as an empty folder. Easy-peasy.

I added Nebraska (album) to it.

Now - both when I tried to update, and when I deleted and tried to re-add - I am getting this message:

Although, again, every other device on my network can access \\rjbmusic\g\

It is probably of no significance, but interesting that the error message says it cannot find the computer “rjbmusic”, rather than the folder or drive.

It is probably of no significance, but interesting that the error message says it cannot find the computer “rjbmusic”, rather than the folder or drive.

Yes - it looks like it was an attempt to link using the http protocol from a desktop Sonos app, rather than an attempt to link via SMB… http will not work unless the NAS has an http/https server.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Yes - it looks like it was an attempt to link using the http protocol from a desktop Sonos app, rather than an attempt to link via SMB… http will not work unless the NAS has an http/https server.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

So I guess I can’t multi-quote in this board. I thought that was weird, too, John. But since it was mapping it as an entire drive, I thought, welll…. Ken, I have no idea what you’re saying/suggesting.

I almost exclusively use the desktop app, I only use the Android when I’m forced to, or for something simple like volume (i.e., doesn’t require typing).

UPDATE

• Added the stick - SEADRIVE
  • Created a folder - SEATUNES
  • Added one album
  • Success

Well, “Success” = it accepted Libary. Could not play file (1002 error I think). Restarted Sonos app. Played file.

Got cautious.

• Added one more album (copied over WiFi)
  • “Update Music Library Now”
  • Success

Got curious.

• Added one more album (copied over WiFi)
  • Let the nightly scheduled update run
  • Success

Got cocky.

• Added a handful of artists (copied over ethernet, little faster than WiFi) - just the “A”s (by first name, so “ABBA” and “Amanda Shires” go, but “Herb Alpert” doesn’t [\sidenote])
    • Can confirm via Windows Network and Android FTP the files are there
  • “Update Music Library Now”
  • //seadrive/g/seatunes is no longer available. The device where the files are stored may no longer be available….
    • I get that same message if I try to update via Android app

George Carlin did not have the vocabulary I am using right now. The amount of time (and money) I have thrown at this is staggering.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Also: I dropped one AVI file on the SEADRIVE stick. All network devices - including Samsung TV - can play the file. So the wireless network is moving data.

I can imagine the air is pretty blue at the moment.  The problem seems to defy all logic.  Do you have a USB slot on your PC in which you could put the stick and to which you could point the library?  This is just a test, not a suggested permanent solution.

@Alonzo Mosley,
Within the Android S2 controller app, what path do you see when you goto "Settings/System/Music Library/Music Library Setup”?

The fact that it works for a small number of tracks seems to rule out all the ‘obvious’ possibilities, like firewall.  Maybe it suggests some latency in the system, causing Sonos to struggle to process the files within an allowed time??

Is a faulty USB port on the router impossible?  Trying the stick in the PC would help assess that possibility.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I can imagine the air is pretty blue at the moment.  The problem seems to defy all logic.  Do you have a USB slot on your PC in which you could put the stick and to which you could point the library?  This is just a test, not a suggested permanent solution.

I had not tried that with the stick, but I had tried mapping the library to the “Music” subdirectory on my PC and it worked. That’s a different “button” on screen, so I presume there’s a whole different protocol

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

The fact that it works for a small number of tracks seems to rule out all the ‘obvious’ possibilities, like firewall.  Maybe it suggests some latency in the system, causing Sonos to struggle to process the files within an allowed time??

Is a faulty USB port on the router impossible?  Trying the stick in the PC would help assess that possibility.

It’s unlikely. It’s been out of the box for less than ten days. Additionally, I can stream video across the apartment. I know there are different buffer rates, but seems unlikely.

I just ordered the Netgear Nighthawk RAW120 - I swore off Netgear products a few years ago - but we will try that. See if my TP-Link is a $300 brick before I even get its credit card statement.