Won't Update Music Library, Part 2

Show first post

112 replies

If your music library is on a USB drive connected to your new router, then the router manual or it’s configuration pages will normally tell you what the ‘path’ is to that shared drive on the network and then onto the end of that ‘path’, you would add the folder structure to where your library is situated - I would ignore the mapping of drives on your computer, as I’m not sure that will help a Sonos speaker on the network find your library that’s connected to your router. So try to discover the actual UNC path.. It’s probably something similar to:

\\192.168.0.1\MyUSB\SharedData\Music - or - \\MyNewRouter\MyUSB\SharedData\Music

Note: the above are just ‘mock’ examples - you need to discover the real path.

I would start by looking at what the router manual says about using/sharing a connected USB device.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

The “\\rjbmusic\g\seamusic\” is the literal path from the router. (Caps doesn’t seem to make a difference).

Router Screenshot

From the Manual:

“Secure Sharing” (i.e., password-protect) is turned OFF, and “Media Sharing” is turned ON.

The “Partition G:” doesn’t seem to be changeable or matter, other than the “g” needs to appear in the address to point any other machine on my network (Android, PC, TV) to that drive. On my former router, it was “sba1”. (If I omit the G and just point Sonos to “rjbmusic\seamusic”, it returns with “There is no shared folder...”)

As far as I can tell, I am doing everything correctly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

The drive is listed in Explorer

Trying to edit permissions gives me a “Failed to enumerate objects” error, so I tried to change the owner (currently “S-1-22-1-0”). This gives me an “RPC Server is unavailable” message. But as far as I can tell, all RPC services are running, and “Remote Assistance” is A-OK on firewall.

So does the path \\RJBMUSIC not work for you?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

That’s what this entire thread is about.

That’s what this entire thread is about.

Ignoring your Windows PC for one moment, have you tried setting up the library from the S2 mobile controller App using that path in the "music library setup"?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Yes. I have tried from Android and iOS devices.

JUST “\\rjbmusic\” doesn’t allow me to click Next - it’s just ether.

PARTIAL SUCCESS/PYRRHIC VICTORY

If I put in “\\rjbmusic\g\”, it actually does load the Library. But here’s the problem: It loads the entire drive. Not just the folder with Sonos music in it. So it loads every mp3, flac, everything that’s on that drive that I don’t want in Sonos - but need from other devices on the network.

I really don’t want to put a hub on the router and have a byzantine hydra of USB drives hanging behind bookcases… But we’re closer.

***************So why can Sonos read the drive, but not the specified folder?

You just need to add to the path, try \\rjbmusic\g\ followed by the folder name where your music files are - is it seamusic?

If so, then it’s \\rjbmusic\g\seamusic

Just browse the drive to see where the files are that you wish to add.

In my own case, the Network NAS is called \\NASPro\ and I have my music library in a folder called ‘Music’ on that device. So my path is easy and straightforward \\NASPro\Music\

If I browse to that folder on the network I see my music folders which are listed by Artist (see attached screenshot).

In each one of the artist folders are their Albums and inside each Album folder are the track files and cover art (folder.jpg)

In the Sonos App the path is just shown as \\NASPro\Music\ and so anything ‘below’ that folder path (ie Artist/Album folders and music files) are added to the Sonos library index.

I have other folders on the NAS here, which also have other music files in them too, such as my ‘FlacFiles’ folder, but they are (deliberately) not currently included in the Sonos library, because they are held in a different folder path on the NAS - example \\NASPro\FlacFiles\

I could add that folder as another separate second library path to my Sonos App, that’s if I wanted to include the music files in that folder too, or as an alternative, I could also move the folder inside the Music folder so it gets included in the original path like this…

\\NASPro\Music\FlacFiles\

All I need in Sonos then though is the same path: \\NASPro\Music\

I hope that info. assists you to get things working in Sonos as you want it to work for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

If so, then it’s \\rjbmusic\g\seamusic

Just browse the drive to see where the files are that you wish to add.

I don’t mean to sound jerky but I have posted several times that it will NOT accept that address.

(But it does know enough that if I try to add a subdirectory that the higher directory is already added, and won’t allow it. (“The folder you are trying to add is a subset of an existing shared folder”).

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

And, it all worked correctly once, several Sonos updates ago. I know what it is supposed to look like and do.

And, it all worked correctly once, several Sonos updates ago. I know what it is supposed to look like and do.

Ah okay, well I’m just trying to help. I’m sorry if some of the things mentioned are obvious to you. I’m not aware of your knowledge/skills with the library setup. Anyhow I hope you get it sorted.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I’m not aware of your knowledge/skills with the library setup.

I’m saying I know what the result is supposed to be - but nothing I attempt gets there.

New wrinkle.

It mapped the “drive” and not the “folder” (\\rjbmusic\g\” but not “\rjbmusic\g\seamusic\”) on Saturday.

I added a folder to the volume on Sunday to test the automatic overnight update - it did not update.

I tried to manually update - it reverted to the original “no longer available” message.

I removed and tried to re-add - from a Windows and from an iOS device - and neither worked.

So back to square one.

Can you perhaps post a screenshot of the folders on the ‘root’ of the USB drive and perhaps another one that shows what folder-structure your chosen music folder is using?

In my own case, the TRACKS are inside the ALBUM folder, which is inside the ARTIST folder, which is in the MUSIC folder… so I just point Sonos path to the MUSIC folder only.. \\NAS\Music … the library held in that music folder only is then indexed and every ARTST/ALBUM/TRACK in that folder only is included in the library - so you just need to locate or create your Music folder on your drive and put your library inside that folder and point to its path.. example \\rjbmusic\g\MUSIC …. (just as an example)

But check your storage drive to see where you have actually put your own music library. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I have rebooted the router several times. I have physically removed the drive, run a scan/repair, and remapped it.

This is so upsetting. And somehow this thread has been marked “answered”!?!

I don’t know if these are the screenshots you want, but they’re all “fresh” (i.e., tonight).

https://bit.ly/SonosMusicLibraryFailures

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

And trying to map to the IP vs. sharename is no better:

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Why does the My Music folder have the Shield on?

This indicates a permission where Admin access is required. (just saying this as a comment, haven't read the thread or know where you're accessing the data from).

In the last box, I can't imagine a path to the router/gateway with a drive letter could work.

As I read through this I’m confused with respect to upper/lower case required.  Windows doesn’t care much about case, but NAS drives usually do care.

Have you used the “Browse” button in the Sonos controller to fetch the path name? If you use a phone/pad SONOS controller do you see the same path names (paying attention to upper/lower case) as you see using the Windows SONOS controller?

@Alonzo Mosley,

So where are your actual music files stored on the drive? .. it would be helpful to see your Artists/Albums/Tracks. Could you show a screenshot of those, perhaps using windows explorer?

I’m just seeing an available windows DLNA media server service running .. but no actual SMB share with the music files in a shared folder🤔?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Why does the My Music folder have the Shield on?

This indicates a permission where Admin access is required. (just saying this as a comment, haven't read the thread or know where you're accessing the data from).

In the last box, I can't imagine a path to the router/gateway with a drive letter could work.

I’m not using the My Music folder - for anything (it is literally empty). I presume it’s shielded because I haven’t explicitly given Sonos permission to read it, but that’s because I’ve never asked Sonos to read it.

I’m not using the drive letter to Add the Sonos Library - I’m using the network address. I just posted the screenshot of the mapped drive to show that “the system” recognizes it’s a spinning, active, loving drive.

As I read through this I’m confused with respect to upper/lower case required.  Windows doesn’t care much about case, but NAS drives usually do care.

Have you used the “Browse” button in the Sonos controller to fetch the path name? If you use a phone/pad SONOS controller do you see the same path names (paying attention to upper/lower case) as you see using the Windows SONOS controller?

I have tried multiple configurations of caps/noncaps (and even renamed things offline to take out spaces, caps, etc.). When everything - names, mapping, etc. - was all lowercase, it still didn’t work. (You can tell I never got along with the Unix guys at work, I can’t stand underscores and lower-case file names… [/offtopic])

(Also - you’ll notice that in the router’s interface, “RJBMUSIC” is all caps, in the Network Explorer screen it’s all caps, but in the address bar it’s lowercase...)

And yes I have tried the “Browse” button, results are somewhere on Page One. It was… unsatisfying.

The music files are stored within the “seamusic” subdirectory:

(Turns out that part of the alphabet skews toward a certain genre, doesn’it it?)

First person to blame Pete Frampton for these troubles gets doxxed...

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

And, yes, it’s:

\\rjbmusic\G\seamusic\ [ARTIST] \ [ALBUM] \ [SONGS]

I swear I will stop complaining about “Alpha by First Name” if I can just get this to work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Yes, it’s a USB plugged into the router.

Yes, I copy and paste directly from Explorer into Sonos.

This did work fine up until ~December.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

[]