Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Problem still here with Sonos S2!! Just unbelievable. Weeks (months?) now that it’s there, and nobody from Spotify and/or Sonos do anything to fix this!!??

We pay a subscription to Spotify, we have bought expensive Sonos devices, and nobody there can fix this!?

How long do we still have to wait? Is there a little hope that it will be fixed at one time? Or should we prepare to use YouTube Music or Amazon with Bose devices instead?

<very angry customer>

The same Sonos player software is being used for both your streams. In fact, the only difference in the two is what server they’re getting the source data from. Amazon’s servers versus Spotify’s servers. Not sure why you think additional pressure on Sonos will change Spotify’s willingness to address the issues on the Spotify servers.

And yes, I’m pretty sure Spotify uses different servers to feed different streaming sources, so the server that feeds other sources is likely not the same that Spotify has told Sonos to get the stream from. 

Chiming in to offer my perspective on the issue at hand.  I can certainly appreciate John G’s attempts to help as an IT professional myself… However… there is definitely something wrong with the Sonos app and streaming Spotify.  I am a longtime amazon music subscriber (still am) while recently also subscribing to Spotify to test it out and potentially switch over.  This is the annoying issue I immediately noticed after having ZERO issues with Amazon music for years…  Jamanda posted back on the previous page and included a screen capture which shows the connection to Spotify being lost.  I’ve also seen another one where a song gets skipped completely which indicates the song is not encoded properly…  Odd since I can go back and play the song.  As others have suggested piping the sound directly from the Spotify app works perfectly however this is not preferable as you lose the Sonos playback features.

So before everyone goes ripping through their network trying to find issues which don’t exist I’d say keep the pressure on Sonos!

Userlevel 2

Spotify song skipping issues here too. Very frustrating. Diagnostic - 814133773

Have either of you tried to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it? Anecdotal reporting only goes so far, and submitting hard data to them might elicit a more concrete response.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Badge

I have the same problem with my Play 1. Spotify skipping songs from time to time. It started just recently. And Sonos you can’t tell me it’s because of my internet connection. It worked for the last years without a problem. FIX IT!!

Exactly the same problem and behaviour at my side

I have the same problem with my Play 1. Spotify skipping songs from time to time. It started just recently. And Sonos you can’t tell me it’s because of my internet connection. It worked for the last years without a problem. FIX IT!!

Just adding my voice to the crowd. I am eperiencing  this on all my devices, wired and wireless. And I have had a ping running to 8.8.8.8 (google) with 11ms rtt and non dropout when the problem occurre. Starts a song… then skips ahead two tracks. 

When it happens I get a pop up “unable to play ’[song]’ - The connection time Spotify was lost. Note that I am a Spotify premium subscriber. 

here is a diagnostic code: 1621423807

Same Problem!

Same probleme here.

Diagnose number: 1827134823

• What devices do you have?
    • multiple sonos speakers
  • Has anything changed on the network?
    • addition of boost
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?
    • Spotify
  • Is the behaviour always the same?
    • Yes
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?
    • Happens very often but random. Easy to replicate

I am having the same issue with my play 1 speaker. Get and error message stating the format is incorrect 

diagnostic number 2089933964

Just adding my voice to the crowd. I am eperiencing  this on all my devices, wired and wireless. And I have had a ping running to 8.8.8.8 (google) with 11ms rtt and non dropout when the problem occurre. Starts a song… then skips ahead two tracks. 

When it happens I get a pop up “unable to play ’[song]’ - The connection time Spotify was lost. Note that I am a Spotify premium subscriber. 

here is a diagnostic code: 1621423807

Badge

Trying to post in this thread since not getting any attention by support on https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-loses-connection-to-spotify-6839625 . 

Had these problems just today. New diagnostic: 1183329555. Please stop arguing that it is a network issue, my network is NOT the problem (Spotify on the phone using same network works just fine - other network sources such as last.fm, SR etc works just fine on my Sonos system). This is an issue with Sonos <> Spotify.

The problem is that some of these can be ‘costumer’ (sic) setup problems, and some can be issues with Spotify’s servers. The same symptom can be the result of multiple issues, so what they’re trying to do, I think, is to fix the issues with the Sonos setup locally in all of the cases where they can, and continue to work with Spotify, feeding them the data that they can on the ones that are Spotify issues. Being that Sonos doesn’t pay any money to Spotify, they probably don’t have the same clout as a subscriber, though. Which is why I frequently suggest that people get in touch with the company who owns the service, Spotify, in this case. 

I totally agree with you, and I think that for this very reason Sonos should be transparent and honest about it, rather than acting as if it were a “costumer setup” problem. It would save us all much time to avoid all these useless manipulations, and phone calls and trials and errors that have actually absolutely nothing to do with the actual problem. We’re in a bad PR handling here, in my view. But like you say, Sonos doesn’t have much leverage with a giant such as Spotify.

I think what you’re seeing is a partner, Sonos, unwilling to throw their partner, Spotify, under the bus. Sonos doesn’t handle the stream in any way until it reaches the speaker, at which point they interpret the stream, and play it on their speakers. Sonos doesn’t own the source servers, or even the sensitivity that a Spotify puts into their stream for disconnects. At the end of the day, Sonos points their speaker to reach out to Spotify’s server, and play the stream handed to it. That’s the extent of Sonos’ responsibility, just play the stream you’re handed. So, it’s there was a Sonos complicity in actually having difficulty in playing a stream, we would likely see the same issue on other streams beyond just Spotify. Which we don’t. 

My assumption is that Sonos continues to pass information on to Spotify to let them know that the server Spotify has set up to feed to Sonos is having issues, so that Spotify’s engineers can rectify the issue. So far, there doesn’t seem to be any visible motivation from Spotify To do so, so people keep complaining to Sonos, who has virtually no ability to do anything, other than complain to Spotify. 

Hi,

This is clearly a Sonos/Spotify problem, even the agent I spoke with admitted it. Instead of trying to avoid the responsability by repeating these steps over and over, why doesn’t Sonos simply make a public announcement about this? Sonos is clearly trying toi save some time because it doesn’t know what the problem is on its own end. This is quite frustrating and Im thinking that maybe this is the end for Sonos.

Encountering the same problem. 

• What devices do you have?

Symfonisk book shelf

• Has anything changed on the network?

No

• Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?

Spotify, saved to device or streaming is the same 

• Is the behaviour always the same?

Yes. Skips every now and then.

• Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?

Random, but regular. At least once a day.

Diagnostic info: 1251937132

I did have my play 5 wired directly, to the router, but the phone agent a few days ago asked me to reconnect my bridge to see if it worked better, it hasn’t made any difference.

I’d consider decommissioning the BRIDGE, and either replace it with a BOOST, or wiring directly to a speaker with an Ethernet cable. The power supply on the BRIDGE is old enough now for them to have fluctuations in voltage, that can cause connections to be tenuous, and other issues that are very hard to track. No guaranty that this is your issue, but as soon as I see a BRIDGE in your system, it makes me nervous. 

This is what my matrix looks like when the skips are happening. To me my connectivity and interference looks fine, can’t see why any drop outs should occur. Spotify has now also started  saying certain songs aren’t encoded properly and it skips these entirely, and saying connection lost for the ones it skips mid song. Spotify connect plays a lot lot stabler but I have had skips with it also.

Hi @John G , 

so I took all the steps you suggested:

1. Tried all kinds of different channels on my router for the 2.4 G network, error still occured
  2. Removed the surround set-up, had a separate room for each of my speakers, tried all of them separately, still skipped songs no matter which speaker I selected to play music.
  3. Connected one of my One SL to the router directly via ethernet cable. Played music only on this speaker, still songs were skipped. Additionally switched channels in the SonosNet settings (making sure channel of SonosNet is not the same like the router channel as suggested in this post Change your Sonos system’s wireless channel. No improvement.

Eventually after having tried all of the above without seeing any improvement, I called in with a phone agent. We went thru all different kind of analysis of my Sonos setup, he saw some causes for network interference and worked on solving them. He also said general connectivity for my system is good and should not cause an issue. He also told me, that the skipping of spotify songs via the sonos app is a known issue, due to problems in the interface sonos has in place for third party streaming platforms. However this seems to affect Spotify only. According to his information, Sonos is working together with Spotify in order to solve this issue in the next big software update which will be released in beginning of June. 

I really hope you guys will be able present the solution with the new update, I won’t be liking to play my music through the spotify app the whole time…

@Mediaguy5876 Thank you for bringing your concerns to use here and welcome to the Sonos Community. I do not see any threads or posts made by you other than this one. Have you read and competed the steps in this threads marked Best Answer? Have you read and followed up on my previous post? Please confirm that information and testing. As previously mentioned, if the issues are happening after the testing steps then please call in for live agent support. Your submitted diagnostic report number shows your Sonos products have not been re-booted in 30+ days.

Thank you for reaching out us here in the Sonos Community. If you are still having the issues with the Spotify music service with your Sonos system then please confirm for us if anything changed after doing the steps provided in the Best Answer for this post thread? I ask as the diagnostic reports that most of you have submitted show you are being hit with wifi interference and network equipment performance issues for Sonos.

If you have not followed the Best Answer steps then please do and follow up with a new diagnostic report number here along with those testing results. If you have followed those steps and are still having the issues with Spotify then we will need your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). The reason for this is some of your diagnostic reports indicate that you are using more than one network router from your Internet Service Provider and have added another router like a mesh system to your network adding to network interference, as well as some of you are using Enterprise grade network equipment and may need the settings corrected for them.

Before I would ask you to call in for live agent phone support I would strongly recommend that you at the very least you please power re-boot off your wifi equipment for 30 seconds with no lights on it, meaning no battery backup, then power it back up. While this equipment is powering back on then power re-boot off your Sonos units for the same time with no lights and plug them back in to power, no button pressing is needed. While Sonos products are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app. When you are re-connected then test your Spotify playback for 30+ minutes. You can follow up here with the testing results and a new diagnostic report number for us to compare.

Lastly, if after you have gathered your network topology, adjusted any network settings, completed a full wifi network and Sonos product(s) re-boot and are still having the audio issues then I would recommend you call in to our agents for further troubleshooting as they will have more tools available to them.

I'm having the same issue as described in the original thread. My diagnostics I'd is 598051342

3 Sonos play 1s. Two are on 2.4 GHz WiFi, one is plugged into a homeplug wired port. 

@LukasOnTheRun Thank you for the follow up with the diagnostic report number, but we still need your network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). Your report is indicating issues tied into router performance and wifi interference. Please read through that article to adjust for anything in the environment with where you have Sonos placed on or near that you can make adjustments with.

You are also running Sonos in Station Mode, meaning wirelessly on your routers 2.4 G connection. I would ask that you next test in Sonosnet by removing the surround setup. You can then look in the rooms tab and confirm your Sonos One SL’s are setup in their own room names. You would then Ethernet wire one of your Sonos One SL’s to the router. You would then do one more full network and Sonos equipment power re-boot off/on for 30 seconds. When you are reconnected to your Sonos system then test the music playback once more for 30+ minutes. You will also want to take one more diagnostic report number while playing and hold on to it.

If you are no longer running into the issues you may need to keep a Sonos product wire to the router for Sonosnet. If you cannot keep your current product(s) wired you would then want to look into getting the Sonos Boost as the product to stay wired to the router. If the issues are continuing then you will want to call in and speak with our phone agents along with having your network topology and diagnostic report number(s).

Hi @John G ,

thanks for the mass response. 

Did as you suggested and power-off rebooted my setup in the suggested order: ​​​​​Router - Sonos products - divice running the Sonos App.

However, 10 to 15 minutes into playing music from the sonos app song skipped again. Got the same error report on the Sonos App like @Jamanda: “Connection to Spotify was lost”.

Ran a new diagnostics report: #1602959704