Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Lately regularly Spotify numbers are not played in full through my Sonos Network (regardless which player or channel). Just again, diagnose 233532739. I’ve tried channel 1 (current), 6 and 11. All experiencing the same.

Appreciate support. With kind regards, Lenno Maris

Hi, exact same issue as LukasOnTheRun. Started this week. I have 3x SONOS ONE Gen 2 SL’s.

When streaming Music on Spotify via the SONOS App on iOS 13.4.1, songs randomly skip to the 2nd song ahead, in the middle of the current song. E.g: 1st song skips to 3rd song.

I ran a diagnostic as soon as it happened, just now. Confirmation # 1308531946

I even tried unplugging and restarting my router, then replugging in all my Sonos’ individually. I even assigned them static IP’s too. Seems none of that is the issue…

What’s going on??!

Same issue here recently. When streaming Music on Spotify via the SONOS App on iOS, Songs randomly skip to the next song in the middle of the song.

I do have a Playbar, a Sub and two One SL

Diagnostics confirmation number 1002688233

So have been playing with it for a while…

Started playing a playlist and following happened: 

• skipped in the middle of song 2 to song 4 of the playlist: Diagnostics number 295796789 & 1204798310
  • skipped in the middle of song 6 to song 8 of the playlist: Diagnostic number 660836147, 1476917138, & 2043341486

It’s getting pretty annoying. 

Same issue here recently. When streaming Music on Spotify via the SONOS App on iOS, Songs randomly skip to the next song in the middle of the song.

I do have a Playbar, a Sub and two One SL

Diagnostics confirmation number 1002688233

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello!

I have the same problem since yesterday using Spotify on my Sonos system. Songs skip, music stops randomly.

I suppose there is a problem between Spotify and Sonos. Don’t tell me to check my wifi, everything is ok...

Having a similar issue. Just upgraded my Bridge to a Boost. I’ve tried changing wireless channels with no improvement. Diagnostic #: 1411412156

i am getting this issue again…. it’s less frequent than a few days ago but still sometimes it will skip mid song and say something about buffering and speed issues …. wondering if anyone else is getting it…. it’s so annoying!! Great when it all works but this is happening too often!!! 

My sonos keeps skipping Spotify tracks. It will say it couldn't buffer. 

Diagnostic 1665991096

Can you help? 

Spotify has apparently rectified the issue, I just saw Ryan post in one of the other many threads that it had been fixed. 

i don’t think the issue is with Spotify...i re-installed the Sonos app and it works for me now….i still think the issue is on the Sonos end…. 

Sounds good, given how great everything has functioned for years prior I have to imagine the Spotify outage is the problem.   I appreciate the help.

The outage is roughly 24 hours old. It would be challenging to troubleshoot any other issues you may be having while the Spotify servers are down. I’d wait until the Spotify issues are resolved, as indicated on the status page, and if you’re still having an issue, then submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

Thanks for the prompt response...my only complaint is that I have spent the last week troubleshooting.  I’ve scoured this forum, I feel like this notice should have been more prominent.  Would have saved me hours of messing around!

Looking forward to a fix - thanks again for your help.

Note the Spotify outage on https://status.sonos.com/

Same issue - Spotify loses connection when played thru Sonos, Pandora works fine.  Spotify works on other devices and wifi has plenty of speed and bandwidth.  

Using 3 PLAY 3’s, Soundbar, Connect:Amp, and Boost.  The Boost is hard wired into a Linksys Velop nest system with 4 nodes, the rest of the Sonos products are using wifi/Sonosnet.

All software is updated.  The router, modem, mobile devices, apps, laptops and Sonos products have all been updated, restarted, reloaded, and unplugged repeatedly.  It occurs with or without the Boost and on all channels (1, 6, 11)  This problem is new in the last 2 weeks, prior to that no issues for several years  Otherwise, no recent changes have been made aside from recommended software updates. 

Thanks in advance.

Diagnostic # 598934767 

Had the same issue… finally just removed the Sonos app from my android phone and reinstalled the app...it re-connected to the wifi and now seems to be working...try that if you have not yet already

My Sonos system (I have 3 Play1s and a Beam) is having ongoing issues when streaming from my Spotify account.  A song will get hung in the Queue (can see bars dancing for 5secs with no sound) and then a box will pop up saying “Unable to Play” XYZ Song “the Connection to Spotify has been lost.”  The issue is almost constant now.

Re my unsuccessful diagnosis: Have 300mbps symmetrical and other steaming (incl video) video services are 100% fine (so would not think it is a broadband issue).  In Sonos, other music services (eg, Amazon Music) work without issue.  So would appear to be an issue with Spotify and Sonos integrating?  On the Sonos App, I tired Removing and Re-adding my Spotify account, but that doesn’t improve things.  Is there a solution to this … been working poorly to not at all for days.

https://status.sonos.com/

My Sonos system (I have 3 Play1s and a Beam) is having ongoing issues when streaming from my Spotify account.  A song will get hung in the Queue (can see bars dancing for 5secs with no sound) and then a box will pop up saying “Unable to Play” XYZ Song “the Connection to Spotify has been lost.”  The issue is almost constant now.

Re my unsuccessful diagnosis: Have 300mbps symmetrical and other steaming (incl video) video services are 100% fine (so would not think it is a broadband issue).  In Sonos, other music services (eg, Amazon Music) work without issue.  So would appear to be an issue with Spotify and Sonos integrating?  On the Sonos App, I tired Removing and Re-adding my Spotify account, but that doesn’t improve things.  Is there a solution to this … been working poorly to not at all for days.

fact is.. spotify sucks on sonos.. 

spotify shoudl figure it out.. 

i have all of my equipment hardwired and it always skips/drops music.. ridiculous 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @RonSingapore

Thank you for your patience.

If Spotify works fine while one player is wired in, we may need to find a way to wire a player for more stable playback performance. 

Sonos is designed with WiFi in mind, but using the Sonosnet mesh feature can help it navigate around structural and wireless interference. 

We even make a Boost that can be the product wired to your router so that you don’t have to relocate your speakers. 

I understand that this isn’t your ideal solution but it may be the best one since Something in your environment is stymieing the connectivity just enough to interfere with playback. 

Has that other Sonos One(Tipsy Cow) been there the whole time and had been missing from the system or was it unplugged or elsewhere in your previous diagnostics? 

If this player has been missing, this could also indicate network connectivity issues that are intense enough to disrupt playback.

If you would like to return your system to a WiFi based set up, all you need to do is detach the Ethernet cable and the players will connect to the network rather than Sonosnet.

Badge

Thanks for the clarification @wentzel

It’s more a question of if the Dream Machine supports STP at all and it doesn’t seem to, you can test this by plugging two of them in and seeing if the network breaks. 

I’m not sure exactly what that means, all i know is that it doesn’t support configuring the spanning tree protocol costs. However, I connected one more Sonos device, and the network matrix at <device ip>/support/review looks better. It looks like both devices are forwarding and there are no orange or red squares for the moment. I submitted a diacnostic report (1234271432) and just exactly while I was doing that the sound from the problematic Connect disappeared, but just after the diagnostic report was sent in the sound came back, and it has been working well while writing this message. Here’s a new report, in case the first one was corrupted: 1356008615. Oh! Interesting! Actually, the problematic device shuts down the sound during the submission of the diagnostic report. Is that the expected behavior? It is one of two “secondary nodes”.

Oh, and by the way - after hooking up the second device also, the Connect no longer drops the sound when a third or fourth device is added to the group. However, when I group all five devices it still drops (and comes back every once in a while, kind of like how it was with two in a group before)...

Were you able to see if there were multicast settings or LAN/WLAN multicast filtering settings int the UDM? 

There is a possibility to enable or disable “Multicast DNS”, which according to the description “enables the mDNS reflector service on UniFi Security Gateways. It is currently enabled.

I certainly will be taking some of my down time to investigate this further for my own edification as well as for trying to crack this particular nut. 

Cool! Thanks for the dedication :)

If you have network wall ports in every room, they would also be fed by a switch, do you know where and what this switch is?

If the switch feeding the wall ports is managed, it can be configured to support STP, if not we’re back to square one.

Well the switch that is originally in the house is not managed. As I’m not using all network ports in the house, I’m not using that switch, just the UDM. It only has four ports though, so if I need to hook up more devices I’ll need to use the original switch that isn’t managed. Currently, both Sonos devices that are hooked up, are hooked up to the UDM.

As for the grouped playback behavior, that’s going to be tied to how well the players are communicating to each other, the one wired shouldn’t be the one dripping out though. Very strange. 

Does it ever matter which audio source you are using, Spotify vs radio for instance?

I’m usually listening to Spotify. Just now I tested with TuneIn radio, and the same issue was there. It kind of works when the Connect is grouped with one to three more devices, but as soon as the fifth is added to the group the sound disappears, but still displaying as playing with sound in the Sonos software.

Jean, Please see my answers in red above.

I’ll keep listening today with both devices hooked up by wire, and see if it works any better.

EDIT: Uhm...now it’s super weird actually. Now the problematic device actually doesn’t really work well by itself anymore. But when grouped with another device it seems to be working fine. Not if it’s grouped with all of them though… :S

Hello @RonSingapore ,

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your system while the Sonos player is wired to the network and after 5 minutes of testing?

I’d like to be able to look at the communication data from that configuration so I can offer you more specific and less general advice. It’s great that Sonos is able now to run on Wifi but a WiFi network environments are almost as unique as fingerprints and sometimes a wired connection  will bring superior connectivity. 

As I’ve mention before, Sonos can create it’s own mesh network and be isolated on it’s own channel but that will only happen if one Sonos product is wired to the network. Being able to compare these configurations against each other will all me to offer a more tailored analysis of your situation.

@Jean C. I submitted diagnostic report 492588371 as requested. After you review, please advise how I can switch back to wifi. Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thanks for the clarification @wentzel

It’s more a question of if the Dream Machine supports STP at all and it doesn’t seem to, you can test this by plugging two of them in and seeing if the network breaks. 

Were you able to see if there were multicast settings or LAN/WLAN multicast filtering settings int the UDM? 

I certainly will be taking some of my down time to investigate this further for my own edification as well as for trying to crack this particular nut. 

If you have network wall ports in every room, they would also be fed by a switch, do you know where and what this switch is?

If the switch feeding the wall ports is managed, it can be configured to support STP, if not we’re back to square one.

As for the grouped playback behavior, that’s going to be tied to how well the players are communicating to each other, the one wired shouldn’t be the one dripping out though. Very strange. 

Does it ever matter which audio source you are using, Spotify vs radio for instance?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @RonSingapore ,

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your system while the Sonos player is wired to the network and after 5 minutes of testing?

I’d like to be able to look at the communication data from that configuration so I can offer you more specific and less general advice. It’s great that Sonos is able now to run on Wifi but a WiFi network environments are almost as unique as fingerprints and sometimes a wired connection  will bring superior connectivity. 

As I’ve mention before, Sonos can create it’s own mesh network and be isolated on it’s own channel but that will only happen if one Sonos product is wired to the network. Being able to compare these configurations against each other will all me to offer a more tailored analysis of your situation.

Hi @RonSingapore,

Thank you for the additional information about your system. 

I asked about the wiring since the only way to set Sonos on its own channel is to wire a Sonos player to the network via Ethernet cable.

Is there anything that you can do to reduce wireless interference in your network?

Hi @Jean C. 

When Sonos is wireless (connected via wifi), Spotify exhibits the problems we’ve been describing above. TuneIn works perfectly in Sonos wireless mode so there is probably something wrong with Spotify.

On the other hand when I connect Sonos via ethernet to the router, Spotify works great.

I bought Sonos for its wireless capabilities - I’d really like to hear your recommendations to get Spotify to work wirelessly. Please advise.