Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Badge

Forgive my wording, @wentzel.

I guess a better question to ask is are you playing line-out to another audio device (and this audio device has it’s own volume control) via the Connect with other grouped players or

are you playing line-in to Sonos from an external source via the Connect and grouped to other players?

Are you able to wire a different device to the network and see if this continues or has it all been shuffled around so that has become difficult? 

Oh 😁

The Connect is connected to a receiver through line out RCA (I never managed to get optical out to work, don't know if it's the Connect or the receiver). When the connect plays alone it works, but as soon as I group it with other Sonos devices the sound disappears. Sometimes it comes back after a few seconds if I just group it with one other device. But then it comes and goes every 5-10 seconds.

I have network outlets ine room, so I can hook up any and all of the devices to the UDM. But as we realized earlier, the UDM doesn't let me configure STP costs, so if I've understood correctly it's not a good idea to hook up more than one.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Forgive my wording, @wentzel.

I guess a better question to ask is are you playing line-out to another audio device (and this audio device has it’s own volume control) via the Connect with other grouped players or

are you playing line-in to Sonos from an external source via the Connect and grouped to other players?

Are you able to wire a different device to the network and see if this continues or has it all been shuffled around so that has become difficult? 

Badge

Hello there @wentzel,

When the audio stops on the Connect, does the app still claims that it is playing and that the volume level is up?

Yes

Do you notice any flashing white lights on the Connect while this is occurring?

Nope. Everything looks normal.

Is the Connect wired into the Dream Machine currently?

Yes, it is the only Sonos device that is wired.

Are there any Volume settings on the receiver or amplifier that the Connect is connected to that mediate this in any way?

I have a hard time understanding how the receiver would know if the Connect is grouped with other Sonos devices or not. As far as I know, RCA cables do not have the capacity to convey such information from the Connect to the receiver. The sound works fine when the Connect is playing alone, sometimes work when grouped with one other Sonos device, and never when it’s grouped with two or more other Sonos devices.

Please see my responses in red above.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello there @wentzel,

When the audio stops on the Connect, does the app still claims that it is playing and that the volume level is up?

Do you notice any flashing white lights on the Connect while this is occurring?

Is the Connect wired into the Dream Machine currently?

Are there any Volume settings on the receiver or amplifier that the Connect is connected to that mediate this in any way?

Badge

Hi there ​@wentzel,

Either Ubiquiti support or a networking professional will have a better idea of what configurations are possible on that model of Ubiquiti router and I was able to locate a page regarding STP settings here

That being said, I have consulted with a few colleagues here and we have a very specific test scenario that we would like you to try.

1. Remove the Ethernet cable and return to a WiFi based configuration
  2. Test playback from Spotify on the “Kontor” Connect: Amp.
  3. Add other players to Kontor keeping this player as the group coordinator.
  4. Submit a diagnostic report with the results, hopefully the second report will not be corrupted.

If this playback test fails it may be necessary to acquire a switch that supports the STP settings we need for the network to be compatible with Sonos. 

Hello again,

New issues. Before I did this test I found my last Sonos product in a box, and I have now connected it also, and moved the others around a little bit. Now there’s a new problem though, that needs to be resolved before we keep looking into the sporadic stopping of Spotify music. Because now, the Connect won’t even play anything except when I play it only on that one. Actually, this morning it worked somewhat when I played it together with one of the Connect:Amp but when I connect a third device, the Connect will simply stop playing music. How do I solve that issue?

Code: 1012826267

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @RonSingapore,

Thank you for the additional information about your system. 

I asked about the wiring since the only way to set Sonos on its own channel is to wire a Sonos player to the network via Ethernet cable.

Is there anything that you can do to reduce wireless interference in your network?

Hi there @RonSingapore,

Did you wire the Playbar to the satellite or did you wire something else to the primary node? 

Can you submit an updated diagnostic report from your system so I can offer more accurate advice?  

@Jean C. 

There is nothing wired to my Netgear Orbi primary node, nor is there anything wired to the satellite. Sonos is wireless. My new diagnostics is 1072921446.

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @RonSingapore,

Did you wire the Playbar to the satellite or did you wire something else to the primary node? 

Can you submit an updated diagnostic report from your system so I can offer more accurate advice?  

Hello @RonSingapore 

Welcome to the Sonos community.

Sonosnet will only be an option if you have one Sonos player or speaker wired into your router. 

If your system is operating over WiFi network the Sonos players will use the channel that the router is using, currently 6 on your system.

I’m looking at your diagnostic report and I’m seeing a lot of interference and packet loss, how far away from your primary Orbi node is your Beam?

Hi @Jean C. 

The primary Orbi node is 1 floor above the satellite. The Satellite is about 1 meter away from the Sonos PlayBar.

I have changed the Wifi router channel to 11 while Sonos is on channel 6. Spotify is still unable to play. Please advise

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there ​@wentzel,

Either Ubiquiti support or a networking professional will have a better idea of what configurations are possible on that model of Ubiquiti router and I was able to locate a page regarding STP settings here

That being said, I have consulted with a few colleagues here and we have a very specific test scenario that we would like you to try.

1. Remove the Ethernet cable and return to a WiFi based configuration
  2. Test playback from Spotify on the “Kontor” Connect: Amp.
  3. Add other players to Kontor keeping this player as the group coordinator.
  4. Submit a diagnostic report with the results, hopefully the second report will not be corrupted.

If this playback test fails it may be necessary to acquire a switch that supports the STP settings we need for the network to be compatible with Sonos. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @RonSingapore 

Welcome to the Sonos community.

Sonosnet will only be an option if you have one Sonos player or speaker wired into your router. 

If your system is operating over WiFi network the Sonos players will use the channel that the router is using, currently 6 on your system.

I’m looking at your diagnostic report and I’m seeing a lot of interference and packet loss, how far away from your primary Orbi node is your Beam?

Badge

Hello @wentzel,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, unfortunately the diagnostic report you submitted is corrupted so i’m not able to pull anything useful from it. 

I wasn’t able to track down any specific documentation regarding the Ubiquiti Dream Machine specifically but common settings found in other Ubiquiti network equipment. 

You may actually find some useful information on the Ubiquiti support community regarding Sonos systems.

CST refers to Common Spanning Tree so yes its related to STP,  but again you may need to reach out to Ubiquiti or a network  professional to configure this device.    

So what am I supposed to do to make my Sonos products work? Configuring the spanning tree costs is not a function that is available on the UDM, so a network professional can't do it either.

Same problem here. I am using the Negear Orbi mesh router, nothings changed recently although I did change the wifi channel to 6 but it didn't change anything. 

The Sonosnet option is grayed out for me.

Diagnostic number 819722271

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @wentzel,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, unfortunately the diagnostic report you submitted is corrupted so i’m not able to pull anything useful from it. 

I wasn’t able to track down any specific documentation regarding the Ubiquiti Dream Machine specifically but common settings found in other Ubiquiti network equipment. 

You may actually find some useful information on the Ubiquiti support community regarding Sonos systems.

CST refers to Common Spanning Tree so yes its related to STP,  but again you may need to reach out to Ubiquiti or a network  professional to configure this device.    

Badge

Hi @wentzel thank you for reaching back out to us. 

At a quick glance, I would try changing the Sonosnet channel from 1 to 11

I’m also including a master list of Unifi and switch settings that you may want to look at:  

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.
  • Force Protocol Version = IEEE 802.1d (Classic)

CST Port Configuration

• Set both "Port Cost" & "External Port Cost" to 0 (Auto)
  • Set the "External Port Cost" to 2 (10Gb)

Please keep us posted on how things are working. 

Hi,

I’ve tried to follow these directions, but it seems to not be completely adapted to the UDM. There are settings in many different sections, so I’ve only found some of the ones you mention. E.g. I can’t seem to find the force protocol version setting.

Also, I’m not sure what “CST Port Configuration” is. If you meant that I should “Configure the STP”, then that is actually not supported on the UDM. But as long as I’ve only connected one Sonos device by ehternet cable it shouldn’t make a difference, should it?

I’m wondering whether the setting “Enable minimum data rate control for 2G” needs to be disabled, or at least lowered? Are my Sonos products only 802.11b? Will they have an issue if the minimum data rate is set to 6Mbps? But then again, why would any of the settings of the wireless network matter (except maybe the network channel), if the Sonos sets up its own mesh network when it’s connected to the ethernet?

My latest diagnostics code: 1585311725

Badge +1

Before you try to fix the wireless issue, try the wired, closed network if a speaker is close to the router. All you need to do is simply wire any of your Sonos products to your router with an ethernet cable, and your system will switch over automatically. You will need to keep one of your Sonos products wired to your router permanently in this configuration. Your easiest solution to wireless issues may be to switch to the wired network--it worked for me after a year of aggravation!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there, @larsvillaume

Can you provide us with a Diagnostic Report confirmation number so that we can look more closely at what might be happening?  

I have a similar problem with Spotify stops playing and after some time 5-10 seconds continues. It’s only my Sonos Play5 Gen1 thats affected, not my Sonos One and it doesn’t matter which channel I use or the Play5 is close to the Access point or not. Other sources works fine. For my system it started around october/november 2019. Sonos support says it’s my wifi ...

My network equipment is:

• Ubiquiti Networks USG,512MB (router)
  • Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC LR (UAP-AC-LR) (access point)

I have made these changes on the configuration as requested by Sonos support but it did’nt make a difference:

I’ll check the other setting mentioned above.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wentzel thank you for reaching back out to us. 

At a quick glance, I would try changing the Sonosnet channel from 1 to 11

I’m also including a master list of Unifi and switch settings that you may want to look at:  

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Force Protocol Version = IEEE 802.1d (Classic)

CST Port Configuration

• Set both "Port Cost" & "External Port Cost" to 0 (Auto)
  • Set the "External Port Cost" to 2 (10Gb)

Please keep us posted on how things are working. 

Badge

Hi @wentzel I do have a generalized STP settings page for managed switches but for anything specific to Ubiquiti I would need to know exactly what you are working with (Unifi vs Amplifi & Switch model numbers) in order to provide the best information for you.

I have now tried to run it with one Sonos connected through Ethernet. It seems like it doesn't skip as much, but still does it sometimes. And right now it just keeps stopping, saying the connection to Spotify was lost.

I have a Unifi Dream Machine. I haven't yet tried changing any STP settings.

New diagnostic code: 1752550173

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Shaunybabes Thank you for the updated diagnostic report. 

I’m still seeing some wicked interference in your system even though Sonosnet is now separate from your Wi-Fi channel. 

Have you checked our common sources of interference page to see if anything could be relevant?  

Is your router located in a cabinet or in immediate proximity of anything metal or other audio/electronic gear?

Where is your Boost relative to your router (on, next to, under)?

Hi there @Shaunybabes and thank you for the update.

Can you submit a follow up diagnostic report so that we can work with updated data?

Please follow these steps to submit a diagnostc:

Settings > Help&Tips > Submit Diagnostic

and post the confirmation number here for us to review.

Hi @Jean C. 

Diagnostic number is 1086456486

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @Shaunybabes and thank you for the update.

Can you submit a follow up diagnostic report so that we can work with updated data?

Please follow these steps to submit a diagnostc:

Settings > Help&Tips > Submit Diagnostic

and post the confirmation number here for us to review.

Hi @Shaunybabes, I’ve just taken a look at your diagnostic report and I have a few thoughts. 

First, you’ll want to make sure that your router channel and Sonosnet channel aren’t the same or overlapping. If you keep Sonosnet on 11 and move your router channel down wot 6 or 1, this will keep your local network traffic from interfering with  your Sonos communications. 

Second, you have all of your players grouped together with the Bedroom/ Play: 1 as the “Group Coordinator”. If you break up this group, and play individually, does the issue continue? 

If you reform this grouping with either “Dogs” or one of the Connects as the first player/group coordinator, are there any changes? 

Thanks @Jean C. 

So i confirmed my wifi and Sonos net are now on different channels. 

I changed the group coordinator to a different play:1 - no difference

If I split up the groups I can play seperate tracks on each play/connect with no drop out.

As soon as I group them to play the same track throughout I start to get drop outs - including between left/right pairs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wentzel I do have a generalized STP settings page for managed switches but for anything specific to Ubiquiti I would need to know exactly what you are working with (Unifi vs Amplifi & Switch model numbers) in order to provide the best information for you.