Answered

Sonos stops playing Spotify commercials

Show first post

90 replies

It might help if you were to post a link to that thread on Spotify, so people can add their concerns. I’m pretty sure Spotify does not maintain an official presence here on the Sonos Community Forums. 

I am facing the same problem. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

So finally we are not all going mad and recognised by Sonos. We haven’t been using the speaker much as it’s a pita for my partner with her Spotify account not working with ads etc. Real shame as we liked it to begin with. Hopefully the devs can get their respective acts together although it won’t be easy with everyone just doing their own thing. The internet of things is a pipe dream. 

Ona plus note Sonos still works with our IMac running old not supported software according to Apple. Kudos to Sonos for not bricking the speakers. 

Spotify sets up a server for Sonos, Sonos has no control over anything. When you select a Spotify stream in the Sonos controller, your speaker(s) are directed to a server location on Spotify’s servers to play. Sonos is never ‘told’ when Spotify is playing one thing or another, other than the title of what is playing. Check the Sonos partners page for more details, if you’re interested.

This is a Spotify issue to fix. Unfortunately, Spotify maintains no official presence here, and honestly, I have to wonder if any one there reads anything here unofficially. I’m confident that Sonos has communicated this issue to Spotify, but am unsure, since there is any financial relationship between the two companies, that they are listened to. You, on the other hand, pay Spotify a subscription fee, I would expect, were you to complain directly to them, they may give more weight to your complaint. 

While I suspect this is an issue with the source, I.e. Spotify’s stream, it might be helpful if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Once they’ve made a determination as to where the issue is, it would be nice if you were to report back here. 

I am having the same issue. I am using iPhone 12, SONOS connected to Spotify App, iOS 16.7. It almost ALWAYS stops at an advertisement. I have to pause then unpause then the add plays and then music starts again. I was thinking about subscription to Spotify but not if this is what I have to deal with all the time.  If not fixed soon, I may go back to SXM.

Without adds there are no such failures. I have a subscription and have not been experiencing this glitch.

Still the problem here. What can I do?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Keep hammering on.If Niel Fromage can cause the CEOs of major banks to be sacked or resign then you can change these companies to do what you pay for. Doesn't help of course that IK is out of EU.They champion the consumer.

You can remove the commercial by getting the Spotify music locally. Just need some third-party tools like AudBite Spotify Music Converter to reach it.

I just sent a diagnose about 20 seconds after the playing of the commercial stopped. ( so sound stopped at the beginning of the commercial. Commercial runs 30 seconds en than playing stops

you diagnose reference 418920905

Userlevel 1

When is this going to be fixed Sonos and Spotify!?

@Jsjsjsjajakak88 I have the same problem. What can we do….. It takes so long and doesn't get resolved.

same issue here, still happening!

So I re-signed up for Spotify premium and am no longer having issues. If it is a Spotify issue and this is their end goal , it worked and they are 9.99 a month richer. 

@EPiC-APOC and no answer from Sonos.

😡

Userlevel 1
Badge

I absolutely agree. Can you trust any of the platforms to actually do what they say? If this gets sorted out it will prove that someone isn’t awake on watch. And may not be going forward.  Sonos is a brilliant little speaker when it works but I would think very carefully about buying any of this stuff again. It’s not just Spotify issues .. I’ve had to reset it on at least 5/6 occasions because it cannot find the Wi-Fi. Strangely my iPhone can. Always. 

Ditto with the problem viz I use the free Spotify and the  Sonos app to play through my Sonos wireless speakers. I have the Sonos app on my desktop computer, iPad & Apple iPhone 12. Recently (a few weeks now I guess) Sonos stopped at the very start of an ad break and could only be restarted by pausing then starting. A deal breaker!

So I looked for a way of playing Spotify through me Sonos speakers without using the Sonos app.

I have the Spotify app embedded in the Sonos app on my computer, iPad & iPhone. So that I usually play Spotify through the Sonos app. But I also have Spotify as a stand alone app on my iPad & iPhone so I can Bluetooth it through my Sonos Move speaker. So I needed to get the stand alone Spotify app on my desktop computer, that has my living room  Sonos speakers as a Sound output option

A work-around (that works on my Mac desktop system + Sonos speakers anyway) is:

I first of all  closed the Sonos app on my computer desktop. I then downloaded the Spotify app for Mac and placed it in the dock of my Mac desktop. I then opened the Spotify app from the dock of my Mac, signed into my Spotify account and selected one of my playlists and got the playlist to play through the computer’s speakers. I then went to System preferences/Sound/ and selected the sound output to be my living room (which are the Sonos speakers). I haven't had a cut since doing this. 

And of course I can play Spotify through my phone or iPad  which can then Bluetoothed to my Sonos Move speaker or the car’s sound system if I’m driving. 

Having same issues while using Sonos. Not having any issues with Spotify in my car. 

I got mine working. 
Here’s what I did:

A new update came out so I updated Spotify 

Turned off data saver

Turned off low power mode

Restarted my iPhone and it now works on My Sonos system.

Not shure to understand, tried it, not working for me.

JYA

How does Sonos know that there is a commercial being played in a data stream? Is there some sort of notification being sent that Sonos is mishandling?

I had the same problem with Sonos and Spotify… I have been out of town for three months and it also got a new phone so I figured the problem was on my end. I contacted Sonos tech-support, submitted the diagnostic.  He sent me about eight things I had to have my Internet provider confirm, and told me the problem was my Internet for sure. I spent probably four hours on this yesterday, and it was driving me nuts until I found this thread finally. It’s definitely a Spotify problem. I’ve been using SiriusXM all day no troubles.  Aaargh!

Much of ‘interference’ comes from outside the network. Things like new neighbors with a new wifi router have altered my own network use in the past, please don’t assume ‘nothing has changed’. 

Hello Sonos,

is Sonos working on this now?

i have had intensive contact with Spotify on this issue and they concluded the issue is on Sonos side and they are in contact with Sonos on this issue, they told me.

But on this discussion I don’t read anything about Sonos working on this and being in contact with Spotify.

my reference with Spotify on this is

ref:_00DD0pxIW._5007TOxmeC:ref

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had the same problem with Sonos and Spotify… I have been out of town for three months and it also got a new phone so I figured the problem was on my end. I contacted Sonos tech-support, submitted the diagnostic.  He sent me about eight things I had to have my Internet provider confirm, and told me the problem was my Internet for sure. I spent probably four hours on this yesterday, and it was driving me nuts until I found this thread finally. It’s definitely a Spotify problem. I’ve been using SiriusXM all day no troubles.  Aaargh!

What the internet knows you are playing adverts not music ???...wow bring on AI too sort all this out. We are getting quite bored of the issue..also changed to Amazon music...and wish Sonos One had bluetooth so we could use it a bit more. Either Spotify will/won't fix it but can't understand that as they must need the adverts, or Sonos won't fix/sort etc. Both platforms losing out..which they will before i lose my mind with someone telling me its my internet again and again.  JUST get AI too fix the code 

Same issue for me. After struggling with it for weeks I searched for others who have the same problem and here I am. It's good to see it's not just me. Less good to see these companies can't communicate properly, seemingly not only between each other but also within themselves. Why does Spotify support ask for a user to start a thread on a forum to let the developers know there's an issue? Seems very badly run.