Answered

Sonos stops playing Spotify commercials

Show first post

90 replies

I have had this same issue now for 4months.  does not matter if you are playing music from spotify through the Sonos App or connect to the SONOS device through the SPOTIFY app.   

It just stops  when the commercials come on..   you to hit pause and then hit play ..   so annoying.

I am having the same problem, but it is occurring with Pandora as well as Spotify.  Agree this is frustrating and detracts from using streaming services on my Sonos.

I think the solution needs to come from Spotify, not Sonos. The data is on a Spotify server, and Sonos isn’t being told, to my knowledge, that an ‘ad’ is being played. All Sonos knows is the data is stopped from Spotify’s server. 

I fully support your concern, but I think you should be directing it to Spotify, not to Sonos. Sonos just isn’t aware that there is a change in data…it is either there, or it isn’t. 

Here the same problem.😖

Userlevel 1

Still can’t play Spotify on Sonos. Commercial causes Spotify to stop playing on Sonos and freezes on advert with no sound.
Not good. Problem been present for too long.

Also sonos alarms no longer work with free Spotify.

Basically the sonos is becoming useless. Used to be able to use it for everything. 

Userlevel 3

Is this a way for Spotify to make one pay Premium ????

I’ve asked them several times but they don’t respond to that 🤷🏻‍♀️

Userlevel 1

@Sonos Any news? My sinks is now switched off until it’s fixed. I still cannot play Spotify (due to commercials freezing) or Spotify alarms on Sonos. Ongoing issue for months and months

I think the problem is with Sonos. I am having the same issue while playing Spotify on Sonos but none of these problem when I play Spotify on any other devices like echo, earbuds, directly from the smartphone, web browser on my laptop or pc 

apparently everyone is having a different experience. I just contacted sonos support and they confirmed to me that is an issue with Sonos and they are aware of that but they don't have an ETA to resolve the problem. Also the Customer service told me that was seeing 3no. spotify accounts on my settings when I could see only one in my app.

Same problem here, on different systems, started about same time, have reinstalled everything multiple times and tried all kids of fixes, and it just keeps happening. Can't be my end, clearly a Sonos/Spotify issue.

What did Sonos support say when you submitted that diagnostic, and called in?

How does Sonos ‘know’ that Spotify is playing an advertisement, rather than the normal stream of data? Is Spotify sending some additional piece of data in the stream to identify ads? 

It's beyond ridiculous it's still a issue after months now, we pay big bucks and this is the s*** we get in return, get your act together #Sonos... Damnnn 👎🏼

Airgetlam - (“right up”, now that was embarrassing! :-)). Unfortunately I can’t figure out the difference between an ad and a music stream, or why Spotify or Sonos would differentiate. Yes, will get diagnostics to Sonos but they must have a pile of them by now. 

buzz - I’m not convinced it is just one or the other service. I agree they wouldn’t write custom code and it would be a single API but we don’t know for sure. I would expect there to be other services that receive a Spotify stream too. Maybe a change in the API has occurred which picked up this problem but then we’re getting into version history and compatibility matrix territory. 

I don’t understand how I had a free Spotify service with no adverts for many months, then the pausing happened at the same time the adverts started. The adverts don’t always cause a pause. Usually the first advert is ok but the second or third pauses.

Is there a Spotify community or support we can contact and also flag to? May get time to search.

GC

Same problem so frustrating. 

Userlevel 2

Maybe... I have just switched Sonos to play Amazon Music for now.

A new development for me on my system with this issue.

This morning I played Spotify through Sonos. First advert caused it to stop (mute then stop). 
Shock horror the workaround (press pause then play) didn't work. I repeatedly tried the same thing several times (first sign of madness!). Tried on another device, no joy. Started another streaming service for 20s then returned to Spotify on a new playlist and it started. Then played adverts with out pause, then returned to the "usual" workaround situation.

This seems like a moving target to me which give me the impression someone is doing something. Or certainly there's a variable or two in there somewhere.

My issue is, if Sonos have a support & development lab, they would have reproduced the problem in the lab (first step in intermittent problem analysis/resolution) then attach diagnostics, reproduce the problem (and, as importantly, don't reproduce). and Voila! work on a solution. Also review with Spotify support/developers what changed 6 months ago.

I was home desk based this week for a few days so captured all my experiences (a write up) with two sets of diagnostics captured (pre and post system update). Also had a poke around the developers pages for the API. I can't find any release notes on their site. However, I did notice the API developers pages were updated 6/7 months ago, and some pages in last 2 months for some object code. This indicates there are changes being made to API code. I may dig around some more over a coffee...

Same here for 3 months now. There is no solution yet? I am now thinking about not expanding my Sonos further, but opting for a brand elsewhere.

Same problem for me. 

I also own a Bose soundbar and I have no issues when I play Spotify (free account with ads) on that.

Therefore the problem must be on Sonos side. 

I find this problem very odd. I listened to Spotify Free regularly for over a year, didn’t get any adverts. Then the Pausing Problem started when adverts appeared about 4 months ago. It didn’t go away and I’ve now found many threads on the problem going back to around May 2022.

1. Some users have been having this problem for a lot longer then me. Why?
  2. Sometimes the adverts play “normally” but usually only once. So the problem isn’t consistent.
  3. Why are adverts treated differently to tracks? How does Sonos know the difference? And why pause?
  4. I can play Spotify through my TV then through the surround sound and then extend to all speakers in my home. Adverts play fine. So I conclude it is a Sonos software issue not a physical (or firmware issue).

I’ve made lots of notes on conditions of the problem and various ways I’ve played my Spotify playlists. I’m an ex technical support person so I can’t help myself! I might right it up for Sonos.

It would be useful if they gave an update on what they know and how they are resolving.

GC

Same problem...started approx two weeks ago...everything plays until a commercial..then have to hit pause and play...really annoying...reported to sonos..they stated, problem with interference. I have never had a problem and nothing on my system has changed. Can also play spotify on other devices...phone, other speakers (not sonos) with no stoppages.  

I’m not a huge fan of assuming that Sonos has ‘a pile of them’. And that they are all valid. Some may be, some could be showing a different issue, we don’t know. And yours could be the one that causes the ‘aha’ moment. 

On reflection, I began to think ‘right up’ was an auto correct fail, something I’ve been a victim of, repeatedly. Don’t sweat it. ;)

But certainly, to me this feels like a Spotify issue. I don’t know if there is a forum like this one that Spotify reps read, but I’m fairly confident that they would have some sort of CS support via a ‘Contact Us’ link on their website. 

I think the solution needs to come from Spotify, not Sonos. The data is on a Spotify server, and Sonos isn’t being told, to my knowledge, that an ‘ad’ is being played. All Sonos knows is the data is stopped from Spotify’s server. 

I fully support your concern, but I think you should be directing it to Spotify, not to Sonos. Sonos just isn’t aware that there is a change in data…it is either there, or it isn’t. 

Thanks for the reply. I’m sure there’s a Spotify help forum. I’ll go there or to their main website to ask the question.

Regards,

Tom

Sonos it takes too long to resolve.….it seems like it will never be solved.