Answered

Sonos stops playing Spotify commercials

Show first post

90 replies

It's beyond ridiculous it's still a issue after months now, we pay big bucks and this is the s*** we get in return, get your act together #Sonos... Damnnn 👎🏼

Userlevel 1
Badge

So finally we are not all going mad and recognised by Sonos. We haven’t been using the speaker much as it’s a pita for my partner with her Spotify account not working with ads etc. Real shame as we liked it to begin with. Hopefully the devs can get their respective acts together although it won’t be easy with everyone just doing their own thing. The internet of things is a pipe dream. 

Ona plus note Sonos still works with our IMac running old not supported software according to Apple. Kudos to Sonos for not bricking the speakers. 

Acknowledged by Sonos on another thread

Sotiris C.Sonos Staff:

We’ve identified this issue and currently working on a fix. Unfortunately I don’t have an ETA for this.

As you mentioned, pause and play is the available workaround.

Userlevel 1

@Sonos Any news? My sinks is now switched off until it’s fixed. I still cannot play Spotify (due to commercials freezing) or Spotify alarms on Sonos. Ongoing issue for months and months

@Jsjsjsjajakak88 I have the same problem. What can we do….. It takes so long and doesn't get resolved.

Userlevel 1

When is this going to be fixed Sonos and Spotify!?

Userlevel 1

Still can’t play Spotify on Sonos. Commercial causes Spotify to stop playing on Sonos and freezes on advert with no sound.
Not good. Problem been present for too long.

Also sonos alarms no longer work with free Spotify.

Basically the sonos is becoming useless. Used to be able to use it for everything. 

How does Sonos know that there is a commercial being played in a data stream? Is there some sort of notification being sent that Sonos is mishandling?

Same problem for me. 

I also own a Bose soundbar and I have no issues when I play Spotify (free account with ads) on that.

Therefore the problem must be on Sonos side. 

Without adds there are no such failures. I have a subscription and have not been experiencing this glitch.

I am having the same issue. I am using iPhone 12, SONOS connected to Spotify App, iOS 16.7. It almost ALWAYS stops at an advertisement. I have to pause then unpause then the add plays and then music starts again. I was thinking about subscription to Spotify but not if this is what I have to deal with all the time.  If not fixed soon, I may go back to SXM.

Hi, It’s seems there is still no resolution to this topic/thread despite repeated reports of problems. Is this issue still being worked by Sonos?

I have had this same issue now for 4months.  does not matter if you are playing music from spotify through the Sonos App or connect to the SONOS device through the SPOTIFY app.   

It just stops  when the commercials come on..   you to hit pause and then hit play ..   so annoying.

Can you answer a question for me? Is Spotify sending a designation to your Sonos speakers that the stream has changed from music to ads? To my knowledge, Sonos just sends the auth token and your requested music to the Spotify server, from that point forward, it is just playing whatever is sent to it. By Spotify.  I don’t comprehend how Sonos could be aware of an ‘ad’, unless Spotify was telling them, and why would they do that?

Just curious, want to increase my knowledge. 

Still a problem. You would think the past several months would have revealed a solution.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Keep hammering on.If Niel Fromage can cause the CEOs of major banks to be sacked or resign then you can change these companies to do what you pay for. Doesn't help of course that IK is out of EU.They champion the consumer.

Still the problem here. What can I do?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I absolutely agree. Can you trust any of the platforms to actually do what they say? If this gets sorted out it will prove that someone isn’t awake on watch. And may not be going forward.  Sonos is a brilliant little speaker when it works but I would think very carefully about buying any of this stuff again. It’s not just Spotify issues .. I’ve had to reset it on at least 5/6 occasions because it cannot find the Wi-Fi. Strangely my iPhone can. Always. 

Same here for 3 months now. There is no solution yet? I am now thinking about not expanding my Sonos further, but opting for a brand elsewhere.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had the same problem with Sonos and Spotify… I have been out of town for three months and it also got a new phone so I figured the problem was on my end. I contacted Sonos tech-support, submitted the diagnostic.  He sent me about eight things I had to have my Internet provider confirm, and told me the problem was my Internet for sure. I spent probably four hours on this yesterday, and it was driving me nuts until I found this thread finally. It’s definitely a Spotify problem. I’ve been using SiriusXM all day no troubles.  Aaargh!

What the internet knows you are playing adverts not music ???...wow bring on AI too sort all this out. We are getting quite bored of the issue..also changed to Amazon music...and wish Sonos One had bluetooth so we could use it a bit more. Either Spotify will/won't fix it but can't understand that as they must need the adverts, or Sonos won't fix/sort etc. Both platforms losing out..which they will before i lose my mind with someone telling me its my internet again and again.  JUST get AI too fix the code 

I had the same problem with Sonos and Spotify… I have been out of town for three months and it also got a new phone so I figured the problem was on my end. I contacted Sonos tech-support, submitted the diagnostic.  He sent me about eight things I had to have my Internet provider confirm, and told me the problem was my Internet for sure. I spent probably four hours on this yesterday, and it was driving me nuts until I found this thread finally. It’s definitely a Spotify problem. I’ve been using SiriusXM all day no troubles.  Aaargh!

I just sent a diagnose about 20 seconds after the playing of the commercial stopped. ( so sound stopped at the beginning of the commercial. Commercial runs 30 seconds en than playing stops

you diagnose reference 418920905

I am having the same problem, but it is occurring with Pandora as well as Spotify.  Agree this is frustrating and detracts from using streaming services on my Sonos.

Hello Sonos,

is Sonos working on this now?

i have had intensive contact with Spotify on this issue and they concluded the issue is on Sonos side and they are in contact with Sonos on this issue, they told me.

But on this discussion I don’t read anything about Sonos working on this and being in contact with Spotify.

my reference with Spotify on this is

ref:_00DD0pxIW._5007TOxmeC:ref

I’ve had my system set up for over a year now. This past weekend, when a Spotify commercial comes on, the system goes silent. Both Spotify and Sonos look like the ad is playing but there is no sound and it doesn’t actually play down and start playing again (the ad or music). I have to pause Sonos then hit play again. Any idea what is causing this? It's annoying to have to stop and start whenever a commercial comes on. 

I am having that same issue right this moment. It definitely is the source - it is only on some commercials where an image shows up in the Sonos player - at this moment it is on the Strand Bros. - stopping and hitting play resolves it. I submitted diagnostics as noted in the tech reply. 

It seems to choke the player. I am guessing it may be a video commercial or who knows - but not sure. The player is still ‘playing’, but the music stops. when you stop and hit play again it proceeds from the last song.