Answered

Sonos and Mac OS 10.15 Catalina

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

176 replies

Mac OS Catalina was released nearly 2 months ago. And yes I have posted half a dozen fault reports with zero outcome...eventually they start sending messages saying “We wanted to follow up and ensure that your case was resolved. If you need anything else, simply reply to this email and let us know that you need help” replies to this message are just ignored.

and for the folk blaming Apple....Sonos constantly put out undocumented software updates. Don't accept the update and the app doesn't work properly (or at all) and neither does your speaker. THERE IS NO STABLE ENVIRONMENT HERE. Sonos update whatever they want, whenever they want, and are happy to rely on the performance of other system platforms and the clients operating systems for their own livelihood - but they see nothing wrong with being in-compatible with those platforms....that ain't supported anymore. (Thanks for your money). Interesting thousands of other companies (yes thousands...just look at the Apple App Store) seem capable and motivated to support this OS.

Sonos have done this before … Sonos features get dumped and blaming Apple …   https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-no-longer-support-ios-streaming-6826666  ...Poster who seeks support is strenuously attacked by ‘customers’ who have no need of the dumped feature ...nice. 

I took over $2000 of Sonos gear (Mint condition) to cash converters (not the best place to get the best price for anything...but if an item is popular you can get an ok price for it) ...thought I might get a few hundred for it....was offered $50 for the lot. Says it all. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for sharing guys! I'll make sure to pass that on to the team too.
Userlevel 1
The best answer should be changed to alan_52's first post. I'm not sure who can change it though.

Just a quick note as I previous complained about being unable to use my Sonos Play:1 with my on-disk albums under Catalina (iMac 2017). Turns out that this is a problem specific to the external HD I was using. I moved the same Music library to another HD (both SSD by the way) and the Sonos app found all my albums. Music again sounds great.

(previous gripe below)

Just upgraded to Catalina; such a mistake. I find that if I move an album to my iMac's root drive (where System lives), Sonos is able to find it. Unfortunately my Music library is on a different HD drive connected to the iMac. Apple's Music app (formerly iTunes) has no trouble finding the music but despite futzing with permissions for the directories and drive and recommended changes to Security settings, I have not found the trick that would enable the Sonos App to recognize my album/song files.

Badge +1

Hope this is not confusing but I mean’t the music app. Rather than the paid for Apple Music app. 

Badge +1

A note to pomm4tous:

if you manage to sort the iTunes playlists problem in Catalina with the advice given by Ryan S above, please post your success with the solution.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes, I also meant the Apple Music app on Mac, the one that contains your personal song library. I do not subscribe to the paid Apple Music service.

Badge +1

Thanks so much for your help. Looks like at long last we have got to a resolution. However, still no proper instructions from Sonos.

• Sonos times out and gives a 1002 error when I want to shuffle all my music via Apple Music… Just because I have many songs… whereas when they are on my NAS library Sonos can shuffle the full library.
  • Apple Music on Sonos therefore has to be played through playlists of approx less than 500 songs. Ah wait (just being a bit sarcastic...), when you make a playlist now in Music, because of the dropped support for XML files you can’t see them in Sonos, so would have to make Sonos playlists just for playing my music on Sonos. When I then take my iPod on holidays to play on our Bose bluetooth speaker, I can’t use Sonos and hence not the playlists I had to create on Sonos. It can of course all be done by duplicating the work in creating playlists both on Sonos and on Apple Music, but I really have better things to do than doing everything twice.
  • By the way, did not have that problem when Sonos supported reading music directly from the iPod. I would download all music automatically to the iPod, and even the protected files from Apple Music would be readable by Sonos. The same files on the NAS or not readable by Sonos…

Sonos does need to do some serious work on these issues. For some obscure reason before Catalina, I had my iTunes library on the NAS, including all downloaded songs from Apple Music, and Sonos could read all the songs from the NAS, including Apple Music downloads...

A 1002 error is an odd error in this circumstance. Based on the data in the error codes FAQ, that indicates a failure of a device to update properly, and you’re just playing music, not updating the software.

As to your anger about the other issues, I don’t think there’s anything I can do to assist. What I would certainly recommend is that you should contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. I’m not sure there’s a whole lot that can be done by this community.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

I wish you the best of luck.

Badge +1

Note to Cochonou:

please would you explain the above steps in more simplistic terms, thanks

Badge
Thanks for the assistance, Ryan. I will contact the team.
Badge

You simply need to create the folder. Its contents will be empty. When the Sonos app rebuilds its music index, it will put the XML file into the folder.

In my case, the XML file is the only thing inside the iTunes folder. Make sense?

Reason for being a little careful - the Music app, Audiobooks and the TV app all seem to use this folder, so there might be media files for other stuff than the music… (just so that noone goes “oh, I can empty it”) 

Badge +1

Thank you both. That clarifies the situation. The reason I queried was that I would have thought you could have caused problems by altering the file/folder structure within ‘music’. But as you said leave the folder blank when you do the music share.

If you still have a copy of your iTunes xml file that was retained as a backup could this be added to the blank iTunes folder?

Badge

Hi

I have read this entire thread, and followed all the steps to get this working but still no joy on the playlist front. I keep my music on the Mac, but copy it all to my NAS via a Sync Task so that I can access my music via Sonos when the Mac isn’t switched on. This also means I have a backup of my media should I replace the Mac or it have any issues that mean I can’t access the files on it.

To try and get this working, I did the following:

In the Music app, I set the folder for my library to the default value, i.e. /Macintosh HD/Users/Martin/Music/Media, with ‘Keep Music Media folder organised’ ticked.

I deleted all the music from my library, and then re-imported it all so that it would be placed in the new ‘default’ location.

I deleted the music library from my Sonos app.

I granted the Sonos application Full Disk Access

I added a temporary folder with some music in from my Mac HD, which allowed me to also grant Full Disk Access to SonosLibraryFolder (as am unable to add or remove anything via Privacy>Files and Folders), though both have Full Disk Access in there as well. I then removed that Music Library.

I then granted the account granted to the NAS music share read/write access (previously had read only).

I added the folder iTunes under /Macintosh HD/Users/Martin/Music/, i.e. /Macintosh HD/Users/Martin/Music/iTunes

I created the correct folder structure (including iTunes folder) on the NAS share, and then sync’d the music library onto the NAS, so my structure on the NAS is now:
\NAS\Share\Music\Media\ (All Music is under here, by artist folders)
\NAS\Share\iTunes\

If I add my local music folder as the music source, and let it index, the Xml file is created without issue.

If I then remove the library and re-add using the NAS share with the credentials that have read/write access, the Xml file isn’t generated. If I copy the Xml file to the iTunes folder on my NAS, there are imported playlists present but they aren’t the ones in my library.

I’m obviously missing something - I thought by granting disk access and recreating my library from scratch would work, there is a step I must have missed?

It’s worked fine except I didn’t have my playlists, but thought as it appeared to be fixed, it was worth trying to get it working, but sadly still isn’t.

Any help or advice as to where I’ve gone wrong gratefully received

Regards

Martin

I cannot get ANYTHING to play either from my cell phone app or my desktop. How does one go about fixing THIS problem? Apple Music or Bugs.net... or any music service.
Badge
There would be but ... I have no iTunes files and iTunes is no longer supported on the Mac.
When I said files, I meant music files in particular. As long as they are there all is not lost.
Badge +1

New issue for me with Sonos and Catalina:  All of my playlists are now duplicated in Sonos after updating the library.  Help!  I guess better to have two than none, but….

Hi Martin

My file structure on my NAS drive looks like this:

<external drive name>/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music

This is different from my original post - can't remember why I changed it.

In ‘Music’ is all the music by artist.

In iTunes I have a file  ‘iTunes Music Library.xml’

This file is created by Music app by ‘File - Library - Export Library’.  This will export the playlists.

Then update Music index in Sonos app.  So far this is working for me.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Sonos is TRULY THE WORST set up experience ever created. Products are great when they work but I have the same issue with Catalina. Both of my speakers are USELESS until a fix is released. 

I will certainly not be recommending these products to anyone else. 

Badge
I seem to be able to access all my music either through the old iTunes folders or the new Catalina Music Library. I’m not too worried about playlists at this stage.

what I’m completely lost with is Podcasts!
I still have all my existing podcasts in iTunes and can play them through Sonos, and the new Catalina podcast app is downloading new episodes but I have no idea where it stores them and cannot access them except through the podcasts app.

i realise that this was part of the xml file. Anyone know where in Mac Finder new podcasts are stored in Catalina?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

That sounds frustration to be sure, let me check in on that case for you and see what I can do. I’ll PM you to follow up.

There’s currently a fix in Sonos version 10.6. The fix has the Sonos app create the music library.xml file for playlists that is needed for the Sonos app to read and import your playlists. 

If you wanted to try to do this manually, this video shows how to make the XML manually, however the Sonos app for Mac will now do this automatically when you create a music share, and when you update your music index. Your Sonos app would need permissions to write on the computer, so you may need to adjust permissions as well.

I’ll check on your ticket with the team to make sure it’s in the right hands, but as I mentioned above, this should be fixed now.

the video is showing how ‘rekordbox’ (a dj software) is able to read the playlists but has nothing to do with the SONOS APP.

Another random thought....is it possible that installing the new OS has moved the location of the library? If so, you may need to re-point Sonos to look in the new location.

• Sonos times out and gives a 1002 error when I want to shuffle all my music via Apple Music… Just because I have many songs… whereas when they are on my NAS library Sonos can shuffle the full library.
  • Apple Music on Sonos therefore has to be played through playlists of approx less than 500 songs. Ah wait (just being a bit sarcastic...), when you make a playlist now in Music, because of the dropped support for XML files you can’t see them in Sonos, so would have to make Sonos playlists just for playing my music on Sonos. When I then take my iPod on holidays to play on our Bose bluetooth speaker, I can’t use Sonos and hence not the playlists I had to create on Sonos. It can of course all be done by duplicating the work in creating playlists both on Sonos and on Apple Music, but I really have better things to do than doing everything twice.
  • By the way, did not have that problem when Sonos supported reading music directly from the iPod. I would download all music automatically to the iPod, and even the protected files from Apple Music would be readable by Sonos. The same files on the NAS or not readable by Sonos…

Sonos does need to do some serious work on these issues. For some obscure reason before Catalina, I had my iTunes library on the NAS, including all downloaded songs from Apple Music, and Sonos could read all the songs from the NAS, including Apple Music downloads...

A 1002 error is an odd error in this circumstance. Based on the data in the error codes FAQ, that indicates a failure of a device to update properly, and you’re just playing music, not updating the software.

As to your anger about the other issues, I don’t think there’s anything I can do to assist. What I would certainly recommend is that you should contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. I’m not sure there’s a whole lot that can be done by this community.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks again Bruce for taking the time to try to help.

The 1002 error is not only for update. A search on this site also gives the following:

“Error 1001 / Error 1002

These error messages occur when Sonos tries to add or connect to your music share, but the computer or NAS drive takes too long to respond. This can happen when the computer or NAS is having trouble maintaining a reliable connection to the network.

The most common causes of these errors are detailed above under “Common Issues and Solutions.” If you see this error, check your computer or NAS and make sure that it’s powered on and awake. If the computer is on WiFi, make sure it has a strong wireless connection to the router.”

Basically taking too long to connect to Apple Music and read the library of songs. There are quite many people having the same issue if you google it.

I’ll now wait for Sonos to update their application in the hope it solves the issues that have appeared with Catalina. If I find the time I will call Sonos to share the issues indeed. If any resolution I’ll post it here.

Thanks.

Userlevel 2
No. It doesn't see the old music. It looks like there is a new file created called "Music Library.musiclibrary" instead of the old "iTunes Library.xml" file perhaps that index hasn't been properly accounted for on an external drive yet? TY.