Answered

Sonos and Mac OS 10.15 Catalina

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

176 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@thecult03, just to confirm, do you have Full Disk Access permissions set for the SonosLibraryServer as well as for the Sonos app in the Privacy tab of the Mac’s Security & Privacy section within System Preferences? 

We’ve seen external drives with this trouble that needed the above setting configured, but after that, they should index fine. Yes, connect to an existing system (a new system would only cause more problems, it wouldn’t fix anything), and you’ll want to add it using the computer.

The “answer” in the first post of this thread isn’t clear enough?

Badge +1

Can anyone confirm that the problem is resolved in Catalina and everything operates as it used to with Mojave?

Dear BowlerBrown,

The method I used is indeed less straightforward than the official Sonos-backed one, so I wouldn’t advise to use it unless your familiar with the Mac OS X terminal and the UNIX filesystem links. I just posted it as it might interest some people.

To answer your other question:

which files did you mean to move into the new iTunes folder?

I believe he meant to move the actual music files into this folder. Currently, there are only two ways of making the Sonos controller correctly read the Music.app playlists in Catalina:

- Have all music under /Users/BowlerBrown/Music/iTunes/

- Have music in another folder or drive, but still have a /Users/BowlerBrown/Music/iTunes/ folder present on disk. You need to also add this folder as a music library, even if it is empty. Otherwise, the Music.app playlists will not be imported and synchronized.

Best regards.

The “answer” in the first post of this thread isn’t clear enough?

I am afraid that the marked ‘best answer’ will disappoint many readers because Sonos version 10.6 does not fix the issue of macOS Music’s playlists. Hence, if you upgrade to version 10.6 you will not “find your updated playlists”. I found a workaround by using a third party tool.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have just updated to the new Catalonia operating system, and have the same problem, nothing showing in my library. If you go to Apple Music, (if you use it that is), there is a folder called my music, low and behold all my music and playlist created in iTunes are now here and they all work)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, as BowlerBrown just mentioned above, there were some changes made in the Sonos 10.6 software for Catalina compatibility. If you haven’t tested it out yet, go ahead and make sure you’re all up to date, and then you should be able to add your music library and find your updated playlists. There are steps here to update your music library in the Sonos app. Let us know if you see any trouble and I’ll get the feedback to the team.

If you’re still having trouble with your playlists, check out this guide for some troubleshooting suggestions as well.

I cannot find any reference to Catalina compatibility in the Sonos 10.6 Release notes: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

Can you please clarify this?

I’m not certain what you’d like clarification on, but with Sonos 10.6, we added a feature to the Mac software which creates the needed file for playlists, effectively fixing the issue caused by Catalina removing XML support with iTunes, renamed Music. If you’re wondering why it wasn’t in the release notes, I can’t say for certain. We usually don’t include bug or minor fixes to issues in release notes.

Userlevel 2

The SonosLibraryServer is no longer present.  It was set up but then when I used CCleaner to uninstall SONOS and install I only have Sonos app.

Badge +1

Hi,

Following my previous message from Sonos I went back to them and asked why the fix was not mentioned in their release notes with 10.6. I have just received the following response:

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately, I have no more formation to provide for you in this case. I have been told and assured by our engineering teams that we have resolved this issue in our 10.6 firmware update but I have no explanation as to why this is not listed in the change logs.

Ultimately the decision to update is yours to make so again I can only stress that we have verified and tested this fix internally and that it is working as expected.

With best regards,

Marc M.
Sonos | Customer Care | Contact Us
Ask questions, find answers, and share your thoughts on the Sonos Community.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The SonosLibraryServer is no longer present.  It was set up but then when I used CCleaner to uninstall SONOS and install I only have Sonos app.

It should show up again after you try to set up a music share using the Mac. You might need to just point to a location on the main hard drive with some music instead of the external drive, just to get that SonosLibraryServer to show up. You can remove that share after the external is back up.

Thinking about your recent problem el Rubio I had a similar problem when using  iTunes when album Artwork showed in iTunes but not on some songs in playlists on the Sonos desktop app, it solved the problem when I selected the corresponding album in iTunes and selected the artwork in properties by clicking on it. I then double clicked on the artwork having selected it. Then went back to the Sonos desktop app and updated the share. Problem solved. Hopefully it’s the same problem as you have.

Hi, I confirm I have the same problem and use the same workaround for the time being. Songs that I buy from Amazon are in mp3 format and have the Artwork embedded. I assume that the songs I buy from the iTunes store in m4a format use a cache memory and do not have embedded metadata with JPG or PNG album art, so it must be done manually.

Hi everyone, as BowlerBrown just mentioned above, there were some changes made in the Sonos 10.6 software for Catalina compatibility. If you haven’t tested it out yet, go ahead and make sure you’re all up to date, and then you should be able to add your music library and find your updated playlists. There are steps here to update your music library in the Sonos app. Let us know if you see any trouble and I’ll get the feedback to the team.

If you’re still having trouble with your playlists, check out this guide for some troubleshooting suggestions as well.

I cannot find any reference to Catalina compatibility in the Sonos 10.6 Release notes: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

Can you please clarify this?

I’m not certain what you’d like clarification on, but with Sonos 10.6, we added a feature to the Mac software which creates the needed file for playlists, effectively fixing the issue caused by Catalina removing XML support with iTunes, renamed Music. If you’re wondering why it wasn’t in the release notes, I can’t say for certain. We usually don’t include bug or minor fixes to issues in release notes.

Thanks for this clarification Ryan. It would have been helpful if the Release Notes mentioned this.

FWIW, I have similar issues but am now able to access all my iTunes based music BUT I have most on an external HD. The Sonos app shows the files under “folders” as it always has but now just says “no selections are available”. No error codes or anything about “unable to access” the drive.

Just thought this might be helpful for SONOS’ troubleshooting and hopefully correcting the issue under Catalina.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
so how long will we have to pay for a subscription service to listen to our own music, and will you pay us a refund for the extra costs.
Badge

Thanks - yeah, I’m fine with the Mac System Preferences part.

But when I click Add (+) to give Full Access, I can get the Sonos app listed - but not the SonosLibraryServer one:

And, actually, the screenshots from a few pages back has a checkmark for removable drives for the Sonos app under Files and Folders - that option doesn’t seem to apply for me, either:

(yeah, the screenshots are in Danish - hope you get the drift ;) )

So I apparently don’t have the right way if adding these to the Security and Privacy panes…?? :confused:

Badge

It looks as though music and playlists have been generally sorted.

personally I didn’t end up with a problem as my files were preserved in their original locations for some reason.

where I really am struggling is with the wretched Catalina podcast app!

As you know, all podcasts are downloaded into a hidden library folder and given obscure filenames.

they can be copied manually direct from the app to my old iTunes podcast folder in finder but it’s a real knife and fork job. They do retain their original filenames.

i haven’t found any free podcast apps which will download for later listening rather than stream.

Is there any progress to make podcast downloads simple for Sonos once again? It used to be so easy.

It certainly would be, I think. Sonos uses SMBv1 to access external drives, you need to be sure that it's enabled in order for Sonos to be able to see that.

The weird issue is I'm not sure that's a setting in the MacOS. At least on my NAS, it's a setting on the NAS.

@Swindled  with the Music App (version 1.0.2.37) you can still export your music library (File->Library->Export Library) and playlists (File->Library->Export Playlist) manually. To be clear: these xml files are not handled correctly by the SONOS App (version 10.6). A workaround for this is discussed in another thread https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/apple-music-on-mac-os-catalina-exported-playlists-to-nas-6834549

My advice is based on own experience. It is not my intention to mislead people.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Cochonou is correct, to add to that, my above message really should have dropped the “move the files into that” as you don’t need to have anything at all in the Music/iTunes/ directory. When you use the Sonos app to add the music share (after that folder exists), the needed playlist file will be created sitting in that folder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi alan_52, we don't have a timeline on this the team is still investigating, but I'll let everyone know when we have more details to share. If you have a Sonos player that's capable of AirPlay 2, that's probably the best free option at the moment for playing your iTunes playlists that aren't imported anymore with the Mac OS changes. You're also welcome to contact our support team to discuss if you have any concerns.
so how long will we have to pay for a subscription service to listen to our own music, and will you pay us a refund for the extra costs.

Do you think Apple let Sonos know they were making a change to iTunes?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have tried "Music Library, remove your music library, and then add it, but choose the folder that has your music library. This should locate all of your tracks, since they're still in the same music format which Sonos can read. It's just the XML files that are currently an issue." but still won't work
Badge
"Granted Sonos Library Full Disk access in Settings > Security & Privacy"

I don't have this on my Mac. All of my music files are on a NAS. I can't add those files anymore to Sonos even if I give the sonos.app permission. My computer has only one sonos file. sonos.app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have tried "Music Library, remove your music library, and then add it, but choose the folder that has your music library. This should locate all of your tracks, since they're still in the same music format which Sonos can read. It's just the XML files that are currently an issue." but still won't work
In that case it may be best for you to contact the team directly. Another option would be to manually set up an SMB share to the location that has your tracks, and add it to Sonos using the app as if it were a networked location. But while Catalina is in testing for Sonos, the more details we can get on issues, the better.
Badge
I have Sonos Play:1s and recently updated to Mac Catalina. Bad move. My music is on a NAS (NOT in iTunes, just raw files) and Sonos no longer recognizes it. I deleted it but it will not re-add the directory so now I am stuck without music.

Any suggestions? Sonos help is useless. You would think this issue would be known (except to me) before the release.