New Sonos app removes key features - beware!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Having just upgraded to the new app, I’m utterly amazed at how poor it is from a user perspective.

• There is no longer a volume number indication
  • You cannot edit queues
  • You cannot add single songs to a queue as ‘play next’ or ‘add to end’
  • You cannot create or edit any alarms

How did this get through any UAT? These are basic features every Sonos user has enjoyed for years.

Absolutely ridiculous, please add this functionality back ASAP.

326 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

If you have 10 minutes please call Sonos support and let them know — nicely, the people answering phones aren’t the developers LOL — how bad the new app is for us customers. I feel like the volume can only help in getting the updates pushed out quicker.

Userlevel 6
Badge

My music services, including Plex, are all working here in the new App and I can see my NAS local library service too… the ’Search’ facility is the same/similar to the old (new) S2 search  (but without the old classic search). I expected that. All my Sonos ‘rooms’ that were on the system tab, now slide up screen from the bottom, I would describe it as an extension to the minimised ‘Now Playing’ screen.. I think it’s more a case of not yet being ‘familiar’ with things. I think the App perhaps could be a little quicker too, but maybe further optimisation will come later, after all the dust has settled. 

It’s clear (to me, at least) that some features, are still to be rolled out, such as adding tracks to the queue and ‘play next’ etc. as they are shown in the preview screens on Sonos.com - so I’m thinking that what we’re seeing now, are the core features at the moment and that there’s still more to come a little further down the line. 

I just need to become much more familiar with the new interface - I’ll worry about any missing features later, but at least all my system is working/playing here.

Nope - just nope! I m a system developer and system administrator for about 20 years and this has nothing to do with „getting familiar“ - this update is a huge disaster and whoever „coded“ and is responsible for this should be fired! how can core features just miss or not working? the design is not intuitive - it s catastrophic! and the performance is more than worse - and i have an iPhone 14 Pro. It s laggy and with huge delay…

how can a company roll out an update like this?? where is the quality management? where are the testing rings? what the hell is going on in their minds? - really! how can a company with so much money and experience „burn it down to ground“?

I can t get it in my mind - unbelievable! 

Userlevel 3

“Best Update Yet” says the message in my Sonos app. 😣 I need local library functionality. I need Add to Queue. Sonos effectively downgraded some very expensive equipment.

Userlevel 2

One of the main reasons for buying the Sonos product was the Alarm feature, now it has been removed is extremely disappointing. Shame on you Sonos, until this feature is added back I will not be recommending Sonos to anyone. In fact I might contact our consumer affairs department and make a complaint. I bought a product with certain features I.e. alarm which is no longer available, crazy.

Userlevel 2

The “new” IOS App update is a complete failure.  There is absolutely no functionality.  This is an example of letting programmers devise a user interface with absolutely no user input.  I am now seriously considering checking out the Denon HEOS or Bluesound systems.  Can’t be any worse.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Struggling to wrap my head around this. Sonos removed — wholesale — our ability to edit the queue? In 2024. Their master plan is to remove their customer’s ability to choose the music they listen to? And now I basically own a $4,000 iPod Shuffle?

I’d be happier with an iPod Shuffle than this mess. Our primary use case for Sonos is shuffling our entire local music library as pleasingly varied (and personally curated) background music to mask my wife’s tinnitus. That was easy with the old app by virtue of a single network folder added to the “My Sonos” page. It seems to be impossible with the new app as none of the top-level categories under “Music Library” have an “All” choice. I think an iBroadcast playlist might work to restore some of that capability, but that’s a ton of extra work to set up and maintain.

Fortunately I blocked updates on my wife’s devices and on my phone before they updated.

In the unlikely case anyone official reads this: I’ve been replacing our old Play:1s and I have three new speakers still within their return windows. There may not be an alternative product with the local library function, but if we’re going to be stuck with streaming everything anyway, then there are cheaper and simpler products.

Userlevel 2

I just want to verify what other are saying and add my complaints here.

Holy crap, is this a mess. What is wrong with the people at Sonos???

Most of my Favorites are dead and had to be deleted and replaced.

When I tried to “favorite” my playlists, they are listed as their incomprehensible file path instead of their titles, meaning I cannot know which playlist is which,

Is there no way to add songs to a queue now? 

All they seem able to do is come out with new products that seek to obsolete products just a few years old.

Userlevel 4

As a Sonos dealer this update is a pile of ****:

• Easy access to tone settings gone
  • all my music services had to be reset
  • how the F do you change from tv audio to music and back?  It fails
  • mute gone from all speakers other than soundbars

Unbelievable update.  How the hell do they not test and validate this before release.  So disappointed 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4

As a Sonos dealer this update is a pile of ****:

• Easy access to tone settings gone
  • all my music services had to be reset
  • how the F do you change from tv audio to music and back?  It fails
  • mute gone from all speakers other than soundbars

Unbelievable update.  How the hell do they not test and validate this before release.  So disappointed 

Just roll back to previous version.  My god the designers are complete idiots.   There is no easy way to switch from tv audio to music and back.  They completely broke the entire design and function.   OMG.  😱 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Struggling to wrap my head around this. Sonos removed — wholesale — our ability to edit the queue? In 2024. Their master plan is to remove their customer’s ability to choose the music they listen to? And now I basically own a $4,000 iPod Shuffle?

I’d be happier with an iPod Shuffle than this mess. Our primary use case for Sonos is shuffling our entire local music library as pleasingly varied (and personally curated) background music to mask my wife’s tinnitus. That was easy with the old app by virtue of a single network folder added to the “My Sonos” page. It seems to be impossible with the new app as none of the top-level categories under “Music Library” have an “All” choice. I think an iBroadcast playlist might work to restore some of that capability, but that’s a ton of extra work to set up and maintain.

Fortunately I blocked updates on my wife’s devices and on my phone before they updated.

In the unlikely case anyone official reads this: I’ve been replacing our old Play:1s and I have three new speakers still within their return windows. There may not be an alternative product with the local library function, but if we’re going to be stuck with streaming everything anyway, then there are cheaper and simpler products.

Actually and surprisingly it seems to be possible to do that… with the web app.`There is a shuffle button under the “songs” category of the library. It is totally missing on the iOS app.

Userlevel 3

Dear mr. Bouvat-Merlin,

How can you sign off and implement such an incomplete application?

UAT is not done using all SONOS customers population.

Where is the need to rush and create such inconvenience?

Does Sonos pay any Bonus in June? If they do please give the amount to charity since you do not deserve it.

In Conclusion, instead of paying for friendly article self celebrating such a questionable roll out, https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/blog/sonos/sonos-new-app-launched ,you should have taken a lesson from the S1/S2 or Roon connectivity Fiasco

Regards and fingers crossed

Zen

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I just installed the new Sonos app. After doing so, all but 2 of my playlists have disappeared? 

Specifically, if I selected Sonos Favorites, then Playlists View All, only 2 playlist are showing . . . countless are MIA.

I sure hope there are instructions for resurrecting my playlist. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Apologies @Ken_Griffiths, I’m not directing anything at you. I am just so disappointed and annoyed at Sonos for thinking this release is acceptable. If it had been a trial release I could understand, with an alternative to go back to the S2 version but it’s a one way street to customer dissatisfaction. Nothing has been learnt from the S1/2 situation. 

No need to apologise @bockersjv - I understand the frustration here. I too would like to have seen the new App perhaps released as a ‘Preview’ and have it run alongside the S2 App until it was at least in a reasonable position to take the helm. It’s just missing basic features that I’m sure we all use on a daily basis. I can live with it for now and get by, but I hope that Sonos will throw more resources at it soon to get it ‘match fit’.

Well none of us are going to die because of the update but to be clear I am not “living” with it. My experience is severely compromised by this ridiculous roll out and with no clarity if and when the removed features will return. Until then my system is just an expensive annoyance. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

My music services, including Plex, are all working here in the new App and I can see my NAS local library service too… the ’Search’ facility is the same/similar to the old (new) S2 search  (but without the old classic search). I expected that. All my Sonos ‘rooms’ that were on the system tab, now slide up screen from the bottom, I would describe it as an extension to the minimised ‘Now Playing’ screen.. I think it’s more a case of not yet being ‘familiar’ with things. I think the App perhaps could be a little quicker too, but maybe further optimisation will come later, after all the dust has settled. 

It’s clear (to me, at least) that some features, are still to be rolled out, such as adding tracks to the queue and ‘play next’ etc. as they are shown in the preview screens on Sonos.com - so I’m thinking that what we’re seeing now, are the core features at the moment and that there’s still more to come a little further down the line. 

I just need to become much more familiar with the new interface - I’ll worry about any missing features later, but at least all my system is working/playing here.

Nope - just nope! I m a system developer and system administrator for about 20 years and this has nothing to do with „getting familiar“ - this update is a huge disaster and whoever „coded“ and is responsible for this should be fired! how can core features just miss or not working? the design is not intuitive - it s catastrophic! and the performance is more than worse - and i have an iPhone 14 Pro. It s laggy and with huge delay…

how can a company roll out an update like this?? where is the quality management? where are the testing rings? what the hell is going on in their minds? - really! how can a company with so much money and experience „burn it down to ground“?

I can t get it in my mind - unbelievable! 

Accountability for this sits squarely with the CEO of the company. Product launches and app overhauls are fundamental to the user experience and he should have ultimately oversight over the outcome. That he signed off on this is disturbing frankly. 

Userlevel 3

Please put the old Sonos app in the stores, so we can download it.

Userlevel 2

Hate, hate, hate this new update. Almost 15 years of Sonos playlists have disappeared without a trace, many of them lovingly curated for special times in our lives. Every time there’s a major app update this happens and my system goes into a total funk, has to be totally reset.   I end up having to re-create half of the things that I’ve saved over the years.  Ridiculous. And don’t tell me that they’re going to continue to modify this new update. If it wasn’t fit for purpose when they launched it then what good is it? The only saving grace is that while I updated the iPad app, I haven’t updated the phone app and will not do so. I’ve invested extensively in Sonos products over the years, so much so that I have one in virtually every room of my house, but I’ve had it with the company and it’s total lack of regard for its users and their needs. I won’t be buying anything from them again.  
Yep, that’s my vent for the night. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

The claims prior to the release stated that the homepage was editable. Great I thought, I can remove “Sonos Radio” and “Sonos Favourites”.

Oh but it is not that editable, I am still forced to have items that I do not use front and centre of the home screen.

But at least I search available, except search only seems to work on Streaming Services, and not on a local library.

Clearly, this is designed for the streaming era and those of us with a local library have been ignored.

As I suspect most of Sonos users will use streaming services, this is understandable. However, you would hope that sonos would have at least thought about the users that have a local library which is obviously not the case.

So far so bad.

However it gets worse as well as an appalling interface (for local library users), they have also removed key features such as the alarm and Sonos Playlists. The alarm is particularly annoying as I was woken up this morning with the f***ing annoying chime rather than the usual Sonos playlist.

This software release is an absolute abortion.
Does anyone know if there is a way of reverting back to the old S2 app?

I see my Sonos playlists - they’re under ‘Sonos Favorites’ - I just went into that section of the App to see them. Perhaps oddly, but I also see Alarms in the new App too, under ‘Settings/Manage’. Some users though say they don’t see Alarms on their controller - I’m using an iPad Pro, so not sure if that has any bearing on the matter.

I do see some ‘missing in action’ features too.. such as ‘add to end of queue’, ‘play next’ etc; but maybe they will make an appearance later, or perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place for those?

Oh I don’t yet see Alarms in the new ‘Web App’ - just to clarify that matter aswell.

Userlevel 2

It is a shame that the new Sonos applications are released without check of the functionality with real users. Releasing application with very limited feature set (especially in context of connection to NAS and external physical sources) is not really what the company should do. This seems to be very arrogant vendor move.

Userlevel 3

Like many others here I’m appalled. Sonos playlists now buried in favourites which might be something I can address but many of the lists are stripped of their content, years of personalisation to mood or activity lost. No access to Apple Music even after reauthorising the account. Search does not include results in my NAS local library. When I access the NAS library manually the alphabetic access strip down the side has gone, now have to scroll through; I have 113gB encompassing 22k items so that’s unacceptable, NAS is my primary use of the equipment as I see is the case for many others and yet that seems to have been ignored. Aesthetically, on the iPhone screen it’s fussy and overcrowded with the search and now playing partially obscuring the UI. It feels like a dumbed down, unsophisticated experience. The shock of the new always makes you nostalgic for the old but in this case key features have been removed and others are now inaccessible so I’ll stay firmly in the “this is rubbish do something about it!” camp.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

What an unmitigated disaster. Not only is the new app buggy but with the loss of TuneIn (legacy) now all my manually added radio stations are lost too. And there is no way of adding radio stations manually anywhere now. This has been the main use of my Sonos system (using URLs from my premium Digitally Imported account). Why Sonos Radio does not have a manually adding URLs feature instead nobody knows. It has been flagged endlessly in the past months but is just being disregarded. Way to go to ignore your customers.

Sonos Favorites from the old MacOS controller (16.1 version) do not carry over to the new iOS app either. Make any changes now and they are limited to the Mac controller only, no syncing. Useless. 

Userlevel 3

Hello all,

I join all the complaints as you all : I discussed with the support and here is the official answer…. It’s not a surprise that this feature don’t work. How, such a big company like Sonos, can manage a new app like that 🤬

I understand how you feel about the functional change. This revitalization of the Sonos app is our most ambitious software update yet, and aims to address what our customers have been asking us for. It’s a huge undertaking, and we are taking the time and effort to ensure all features work seamlessly and meet both our standards and the standards of our listeners. With this commitment in mind, features such as playlist creation and queue editing within the Sonos app, sleep timers, and local library support will not be available at launch, but will be added to the app on a rolling basis.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hello all,

I join all the complaints as you all : I discussed with the support and here is the official answer…. It’s not a surprise that this feature don’t work. How, such a big company like Sonos, can manage a new app like that 🤬

I understand how you feel about the functional change. This revitalization of the Sonos app is our most ambitious software update yet, and aims to address what our customers have been asking us for. It’s a huge undertaking, and we are taking the time and effort to ensure all features work seamlessly and meet both our standards and the standards of our listeners. With this commitment in mind, features such as playlist creation and queue editing within the Sonos app, sleep timers, and local library support will not be available at launch, but will be added to the app on a rolling basis.

This is a ******** joke! 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

It is a shame that the new Sonos applications are released without check of the functionality with real users. Releasing application with very limited feature set (especially in context of connection to NAS and external physical sources) is not really what the company should do. This seems to be very arrogant vendor move.

Sonos did publish some info. on this very topic about NAS/local library connections. It’s the one area they did announce things about, prior to launch of the new App. To sum up in simple terms the old “known to be insecure” connections are out (thats SMBv1 and http protocols) but everything else is fine (eg. SMB v2 or higher) so that’s where you need to be to get things working again (if not working for you at the moment). Note if the NAS box does not support SMB v2 or higher, you probably need to consider upgrading it anyway. You could also use a recent Windows PC instead - there are posts (with step by step images) here in the community that help to setup shared libraries that can be viewed via the new Sonos App. Hope that assists.👍

Userlevel 2

I have not found in the new Sonos App any place to refresh the existing library from external data server - when I use the unofficial Sonos controlled for Linux system, everything is working fine so it is not the question of connectivity to the system - it is only BAD Sonos new application which is badly organized, unclear and not intuitive at all. Maybe they should hire developers who are more focused on usability of their user interfaces.